Exalted General - /exg/

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Abyssal edition

Other urls found in this thread:

johnnybravo.wikia.com/wiki/Bunny_Bravo
youtube.com/watch?v=w9pW7PpypMU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You know Conky, you're not half bad.

I'm not sure why you posted this.

Do we need a reason?

>Johnny never gets laid.
>Conky has Luna
It just don't add up!

Stop shitting on my pictures you fucking bastard

>"You're out of order."
>"No, you're out of order. This court is out of order! THIS DIVINITY MACHINE IS OUT OF ORDER!"
>"Ooh, free ambrosia!"

Conky has pretty much everyone he wants. Luna seems to be willing to share Gaia, all the Maidens are in there, and, I'm pretty sure, his stats (yeah, right) implied some Yozi's joutens. At the very least.

I was trying to be clever.

In unrelated news what's the godly equivalent of JB's ma?

>JB's ma

Wha?

You must be as dense as hair gel on johnny's bonce if you don't know about Bunny Bravo.

Huh?

johnnybravo.wikia.com/wiki/Bunny_Bravo

Eh?

Duke Nukem > Jonny Bravo as best sun IMO

>I'm here to kick ass and exalt niggas
>and I'm all outta niggas.....

Any thoughts?

no

I think this was never funny, and is even less so now than to begin with.

If you're the person from last time, I've altered the charms to be non-binary.

>Essence pool of 120+
>dice cap double that of solars
stopped reading right there

still no

They don't even have charms that use motes yet, and they can't use martial arts. Forget the base, look at the charms.

Why not?

>They don't even have charms that use motes yet, and they can't use martial arts. Forget the base, look at the charms.
The base is the base, you can't build on a broken base.

>Replying to an obvious troll
You guys HAVE seen the Cosmic Exalted screencap, right?

You are either retarded or pretending to be retarded. Your new keywords are painfully terrible, you have more typos than pages in a document with generous whitespace and shortlines, and I'd say you need an editor if I thought anything good could come of this. Please throw it away and do not post here again.

Their excellency uses health levels and they take extra damage if they go beyond (Att+Ability).

I'm not a troll, I'm just bad at charm design, which is why I asked for feedback.

Could you elaborate on the fault you found with the keywords?

You are the worst person

pls stahp

>Their excellency uses health levels and they take extra damage if they go beyond (Att+Ability).
All excellencies are the same save for the dice cap. You didn't tell us it was the excellency.

Don't make so many upgrade charms for one unless that's the entire gimmick of the exalt type.

Nova is a terrible keyword. We already have a damage type that's hard to heal, it's called Aggravated. Having to find another sympathetic exalt of the same type is dumb unless they are as numerous as DBs.

Having to spend HLs on everything is also terrible, because then you can't use multiple charms in the same day, even. Not to mention wound penalties. HLs are supposed to be the resource that you only spend if you fucked up or if the effect essentially ends the scene, because you can regain motes and willpower with stunts.

If you know you are bad at design, don't do design without extensive planning and thought put into it.

Biting

Burning (Attribute) Expression is simple and instand duration, so you can't really do anything with the bonus dice.

Essence Spear is Supplemental, but has no action to supplement. It needs to be simple or say "When you make a decisive attack at a target up to long range".

The only charms that really do anything are "2wp - survive enviromental hazards" "Add your wound penalty to dice to resist environmental penalties" and Perfected Essence (which really doesn't seem that strong, since there's no Ox-Bodies or healing).

>I'm not a troll, I'm just bad at charm design, which is why I asked for feedback.
If you're bad at Charm design why are you starting with designing an entirely new Exalt with entirely different rules.

So how do you usually get to the supposed high-flying part of this game? From what I see around here combat is actually shunned and usually never included in the game as its played.

>So how do you usually get to the supposed high-flying part of this game?
Stunts. and literally superhuman feats thrown around like cheap memes.

>From what I see around here combat is actually shunned and usually never included in the game as its played.
What.

What? I have no idea how you've come to that conclusion, but combat sure as hell isn't "actually shunned and usually never included".

Really? What about those anime who go on about how one faggot was complaining they didn't get to combat in six sessions or that one group who have been vindictive in avoiding combat for nearly a year of sessions?

Thank you for the feedback.

I think I may have bit off a bit more than I could chew with an entirely new exalted type.

Combat in 2E was a slog that took most of the session, so we tended to avoid it. In the 3E games I'm in combat tends to either be one-sided enough that we win without dice rolls (if we're the stonger side) or we avoid it.

We still manage to have a big fight (vs semi-equal opponents) every 3 sessions or so at the very least.

"A bit" is putting it mildly.

Is the idea to make a balance exalt type or to (as suggest) to deliberately make the most bullshit unbalanced exalt type? Because those are two different design goals.

Hahaha, that's right.

To make a balanced exalt type that was fun to play both alone and with other exalt types.

Does anyone have advice on where I should start to practice charm design? I'm thinking martial arts, but I'm not sure.

>Does anyone have advice on where I should start to practice charm design? I'm thinking martial arts, but I'm not sure.

How about start with one single Charm.

Martial Arts is a bit harder to start with.

I'd say start with an Exalt you like, and see if you can emulate charm effects from various mediums without them being broken in game.

Don't worry, with /exg/'s help you'll go ftom O to MOrke or your money back*

*Terms and conditions apply. Offer not valid if your skills fail to improve. /exg/ shall be the sole entity responsible for determining John Morke's level of skill. /exg/ is not responsible for any loss of life, liberty of mental acuity.

I can't seem to find the rules for jumping.

I imagine it's the same as other move action, just with an Athletics roll to see if you make it based on distance.

no

Okay, there's alot to unpack here. So let's start at the begining. So what tools do we have that (might) be similar to Claws of the Silver Moon? (Or at least the 2E rules).

The original charm gave you +2 Acc, +5 Dmg and Overwhelming 2. This is similar to the bonus for being an artifact weapon in 3e. Then we compare it to any similar charms that exist in 3e which, in this case, would be Glorious Solar Sabre. This can help us with the costing. In this case, I think this would be a fair charm (but people are free to tell me I'm wrong).

Claws of the Silver Moon
Cost: 4m 1wp Mins: Strength 3, Essence 2
Type: Simple
Keywords: None
Duration: One Scene

This charm grants the Lunar's natural attacks the stats of a light artifact weapon with the Lethal, Brawl, Gappling and Natural keywords. In addition the Lunar may parry lethal damage without the aid of a stunt.

Special Activation Rules: When activating Deadly-Beastman Transformation the Lunar may reflexively activate this charm paying only 2m and ignoring the willpower cost.

I need a mcguffin to give one of my characters to look for.

An ex dynast from the Cynis family who is now adventuring in the scavenger lands, he's been tasked by a family member to find a thing but I can't decide what the Cynis' would deem important enough for him to search for so it'll be an entertaining thing

Do what I did and give them a chest they can't open without like a whole god damn campaign to figure it out.

Gave me plenty of time to figure out what was actually inside it.

>Cynis

Artefact Bong.

Classic 3e. Quite a few charms reference a "Test of speed", one even referencing page 189 (which has the extended and opposed roll rules). But nowhere does it actually define a test of speed.

Eh, the chest is creative, but what stops him from just handing it off to his sister and saying

"The thing you want is in there, good luck."

A chest they can't open isn't a good idea in a game like Exalted. They could just throw dice at the box until it opens. Pieces of a map leading them on a treasure hunt would be better.

Sure they could throw dice at the problem if that's their area of expertise but then again it's a First Age artifact if we're talking big shot mcguffin here so that means some Solar with even more time on their hands made it themselves. So yeah you can brute force it and not follow the plot hook to find the key/code/etc but you'll have to roll extraordinarily crazy even for Solars because your opponent is a Solar themselves with more time and resources on their hands.

Just because they have a lot of dice doesn't mean they can solve every problem in a reasonable amount of time.

Tell me about Mask of Winters...
Is crashing Creation with no survivors the goal or just a part of his master plan?

Does the "it's not gay if it's an elf" principle extend to Exalted as "it's not gay if it's Luna"?

No its gay, Luna just doesn't care.

>Tell me about Mask of Winters...

He can't read

No, in Exalted it works the other way around: It's not gay if it's Conky, because Conky is so overwhelmingly manly that anyone he's fucking counts as a woman for the duration of the encounter.

Glorious!

>"I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
>"Well at least you only had arrows, were I come from, they shoot beach umbrellas!"
youtube.com/watch?v=w9pW7PpypMU

Why does Enduring Mental TOughness have pre-requisites of EITHER 5 charms, or None

That's retarded

Because it has the Bridge keyword, meaning that if you caste/favor Presence, Resistance or Socialize and have 5 charms there, you can purchase Enduring Mental Toughness as though it were from a favored ability even if you do not have Integrity favored.

oooooh, my bad. Thanks

Behold my Spider Totem Lunar who has mastered Righteous Devil style.
Confront him if you dare.

I call his bluff, they nerfed flurries, so he's basically holding one gun and six props.

There are no gods of sorcery right?

/exg/, give me your EX3 houserules. What did you change so far?

Correct. The closest would be Sol but only in his capacity of God of Awesome Power, in 2e he had proprietary charms that mimicked Solar Circle Spells

I was recently thinking about limiting Dawn Abilities during CharGen for non-Dawns. My goal was to reduce dice pools in combat and - indirectly - decrease the average DVs my players have and enemies have. Lowering those dicepools will make stunting, spending willpower, and other 'static' buffs more effective.

And of course prevent Thrown users from starting with 30+ initiative...

XP based chargen, unfucked pricing of merits.

I think one of Luna's forms is also worshipped as a god of sorcery...

How about you just houserule that the only allowable starting weapons are wet noodles, and that all your players' characters must begin play with their penises removed?

Martial Arts merit removed, any caste can supernal any ability as long as their character makes sense.

wouldn't be enough. noodles still give bonus dice

tell us more

Not sure what there is to tell. Chargen with XP to avoid bean trading and point sinks. Merit pricing no longer dependent on whether previous levels exist. (If this makes no sense to you, you are probably ignoring the rule already.)

I am a Zenith who is basically specializing in Performance and using the Nightingale Style for combat. I wanted to add some personal flavor with some kind of powerful artifact with evocations but obviously I can't really make use of a traditional weapon, and evocations don't seem to be associated with non-weapon artifacts. I could go for armor too, but that doesn't seem as cool. Any ideas for something I could do?

Musical instrument would be fine

Non-weapons can have Evocations just fine, it's just a question of whether or not the artifact has a story and function deep enough to support them.

Like, the Belt of Shadows as-is? Not deep enough. It'd just have its innate power, MAYBE one more Evocation for turning immaterial.

But if it was a particular Belt of Shadows, the Sash of Saraesh, worn by legendary thieves throughout the ages and imbued with a piece of Erembour's horn, granting it control over shadows and the creatures that dwell there...

>nightingale
Isn't the limitation that you have to make the weapon musical in some way? It's how you can get special weapons and armor, they make a sound when you use them.

I was thinking of something like that, but I was primarily wanting to fight with my character's voice rather than like an instrument. An idea I had was some kind of sword that would attune itself to their voice, but I have no idea how that would work mechanically.

Well this just seems like a very common problem with the style itself.

Lipstick artifact.

Now you get an artifact weapon for your voice and an artifact

>he unironically uses the word "whitewashed"

I've used the word plenty, but only when renovating.

A magical kimono made of steelsilk, and embroidered with wire made from the Magical Material of your choice.

Quick! The local Abyssal circle challenged your circle to a live rock showdown!
Keep in mind the Moonshadow has fans all over your kingdom, and their Dusk plays wicked guitar solos!

What do you?

Murder the idiots.

Who's the girl with glowing hands next to Panther

That's Swan, the 2e Eclipse caste signature.

I thought Swan was a guy

Also, that's a guy

My he's more fabulous than I recall

Now that's just plain unsporting.

.... And I thought Panther was the biggest mistake there. Doesn't even look like him.

especially when most of them look asian and there's even a black girl

It's pretty obvious they diverge from the standard characters' shades, the edit mostly fixed that.