/ccg/ Custom Card Thread /cct/

Hard Removal edition

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Old and busted:

"Monocolored" is a valid descriptor.
>If target creature is monocolored, it gains indestructible until end of turn. Otherwise, destroy it.

Compare to Weed Strangle, Sever Soul, or Death's Caress. Should cost at least 5, and since it has an effect that reduces its cost and lets it be played as an instant, at least 6.

Which do you prefer in limited:
Hybrid or multicolor?

Fast paced (zendikar), moderate paced (innistrad), slow paced (khans) or Battle cruiser paced (ROE)

Stronger spells in limited or stronger creatures in limited.

Discuss.

Hybrid seems better in limited to me. It gives people more options than they would have otherwise, while multicolor tends to lock people in more.

I think I prefer a slow or more moderate pace. Makes the inevitable high-cost cards more useful and likely to be played.

I think overall I prefer strong spells over strong creatures. Everyone is playing the creatures anyway, and strong spells help ensure variety and break up stalemates.

I prefer multicolor cards when drafting. Hybrid gives you more options, but also delays when you lock-in your colors and can make the draft really tiring. RTR had a good amount of hybrid vs gold. Lorwyn-Shadowmoor had too much.

So for spells. Removal should be on par as m10/m11?

>Hybrid gives you more options, but also delays when you lock-in your colors and can make the draft really tiring.
I've heard this about lorwyn, but I've never heard similar things about mirrodin block, anyone have any idea why?

Shadowmoor had a lot of hybrid cards. Its a bit staggering really. I could see how that amount could be overwhelming.

And I'm asking why something similar didn't happen with mirrodin's artifacts. You didn't answer the question.

Maybe not quite as cheap and versatile as that was, but close to it. Certainly some better than we've had lately.

Mirrodin was the Sunburst block. It wanted you to play a bunch of colors and gave you the options to do so. You never really needed to lock into colors, so it's less an issue.

It's all about mana color availability, you see.

>Sunburst block
That was only the last set, it was the artifact block for most of it.
>It wanted you to play a bunch of colors and gave you the options to do so.
I don't think I've ever seen a 3 color triple mirrodin deck, but I haven't seen many triple mirrodin decks in general so whatever.
>You never really needed to lock into colors, so it's less an issue.
That makes some sense though.
>It's all about mana color availability, you see.
What? Do you mean fixing?

Mirrodin had plentiful mana fixing as well as strong colorless artifacts. Rather than draft archetypes, you drafted for power and could easily splash a third or even fourth color. Kvetching about Mirrodin's impact on constructed formats probably drowned out any complaints over limited.

Two ideas for how Contraptions could work.

1/2

2/2

In this one, Contraptions is a gimmick game mode, like Planechase. There's a Contraption Deck which is shared between all players, and anyone can put cards into it before the game begins. Trying to assemble a contraption in a normal game just does nothing, because there's no contraption deck, although the riggers are still usable as creatures in normal games.

This is pretty cool. I'll admit when I was reading the evasion ability I thought the activated ability would be +1/-1 and/or -1/+1 until end of turn. I was mildly disappointed but it's still pretty cool.

>card
Not really hard removal, but the thread edition gave me the idea.

Pretty cool. Flash is kind of weird since the trigger is end step, rather than upkeep.

I can remove it. I tossed it on there because I figured it'd make EDH interesting, and allow you to use it during an opponent's turn if need be in an emergency. I have a chronic issue with shoehorning utility onto my cards, even when they probably don't need it.

The card will definitely look much cleaner without the flash, and it's already an interesting card.

>reverse but better ultimate price!
>MARO SAYS ITS FINE CUZ ITS WHITE
WeW

holy shit no. I hope this is just a joke im not getting
overcosted.

Both hybrid and mutlicolor have their place, but overall more multicolored, and we should be getting more even in non multicolor sets anyways.
Speed is interchangable. Anything can be enjoyable as long as it isnt overdone. Mostly moderate to slow.
Spells should be better then creatures. It's whats killing magic right now honestly. The spells we have been getting is a really bad joke that i hope is dying soon before magic realizes its trying to copy hearthstone instead of just being magic. The game is called magic. It's not called creatures: the tappening. I dont give a single fuck about any poll MaRo can produce from his rectum. We are going backwards. It's time we went forwards.

Names are hard when just putting ideas together.

mixed up gets/gains

as long as rather than if you are.

Ah, right.

Card art is in use from a werewolf in og innistrad

Finally found some time to keep working on the set. Here's a rough draft of the red commons.

>kill spell that gains you life and has built in cost reduction
>thinks 4 mana is overcosted

Shouldn't this be white? Destroying nonwhite, ganing life and Angels?

We need more crap to donate with Zedruu

The problem with that card is no one in their right mind would play it normally, so it literally only fits into donate archetypes. But if you can donate it, you win instantly if they don't have removal in hand. So that card is a terrible design.

Plus it's off flavour. A benevolent spirit wouldn't hurt you like that.

Maybe word it like Spirit of the labyrinth then? You get your draw of the turn, but no more than that

I think that would be a good compromise.

Aside from madness. What plays well with spellshapers?

I'd say she should probably tap for the activated ability, but that's just me.

Even then the lifegain should be raised to 4-5
>visions of flame
Why?
>hellion
I don't think that not attacking for a turn is generally going to be that useful.
>Zealots
I think the ambush cost could actually be white, but it is fine as is.
>Withdraw
Not really sure why withdraw doesn't just put the creature back to hand, but whatever.
Everything else looks fine to me, flames of the efreet seems silly, but in a probably good way.
Graveyard synergy in general (flashback, sanitarium skeleton) a low curve (discard lands).

Art?

I mean it's a pretty strong creature but I doubt anybody would play this. Denying you new card draws is such a drawback that it had to be a 5/5 in order to be played. Cool idea but needs some number tuning.

I think it's be better if it was like Blitz Hellion

Commanders can't be put into libraries.

So I would change nothing but remove legendary and make it rare.

Fuck off with EDH. Legends are played in other formats as well

She costs 7 mana. With no power.
Make the activated ability XWWB or XWBB

Then it's a shit card that shouldn't be mythic.

>With no power
But she does have deathtouch.

Nobody would run that garbage in anything else.

"Boy I sure to love stalling out my draws with the same 3/3 flyer every turn."

My point was how she's "harmless" as a commander.

Flashback, unearth etc

There are other formats than just commander and I'm pretty sure you can choose to let your commander go to the library instead of the command zone.

Delirium, Treshold
Creatures like Tarmogoyf.

Yeah but it's a an awful legend and an awful mythic.

My point was it would be a good non legendary rare.

I've always wanted to see exalted plus spellshapers. Tap down your squad to buff one guy and go for massive damage.

Needs reminder text.
Unless ofc you make this to actually be played in a friendly group somewhere far away.

>better ultimate price
Radiant Purge already exists and it wasn't even sideboard material during 4-color standard.

Flavortext will be something along the lines of how undisciplined looting screwed over a battle to give some justification for the flavor.
Don't know how/if one would ever incite that type of rashness but whatever.

Couldn't figure out how to word this.

It's a rare, so you can put Evolve's reminder text on some commons and uncommons in the same set and players should get by just fine

The first ability should only be +1 at that CMC. It's good because it's cheap and has strong abilities, but it's not particularly interesting or exciting. Nothing really white about it either.

Props for keeping it simple with readable text.

Not the poster, but the last ability is 'balance esq'.

Not really. Balance says that opponents can't have more lands than I do. The ultimate is more like Keldon Firebombers where the opponent loses all lands besides a pity few.

Multi color is better as the power level can be much higher than hybrid cards

Yeah, no.

I need a ritual. I'd like it to cantrip or have some other, similar bonus. How's the cost-to-mana-generation ratio on this version? Should I knock the draw down to scry?

I think this card is dangerous. Manamorphose doesn't add mana but draws a card and is still very very good. Granted, this is a sorcery and not an instant and it also costs four. How about 3R, Add RRRRR to your mana pool. Exile the top card of your library. You may play that card this turn.

It's a 5/6 trampling lifelinker stapled to a poorly worded Citadel of Pain. It's aggressively costed, but not terrible. I'd reduce the body and change the effect to be in line with Citadel of Pain:
>At the beginning of each player's end step, Citadel of Pain deals X damage to that player, where X is the number of untapped lands he or she controls.

Fuck Madness. And Spellshapers.

>its not even murder at a higher cost with a really really fringe cost reduction aspect.
>Holy shit lifegain so op buff cost
>Doesnt say anything about the removal spell posted directly before the card in question.
nice memes.

>"Oh man if it didnt see play it needs to be buffed immediately and be moved from a rare to a common."

It's another "It's green and/or white so it needs to have a body better then it's mana cost" episode
It's fine. Don't let modern shills tell you it's going to break something. Modern is a total meme right now where creature decks get away without interacting with the stack at all and it's time we got away from creature:the tappening.

Fuck retarded hate effects even more.

>Hard Removal edition
I have just the card for this. Now if only I could find art to fit...

How butthurt are you about Woolly Thoctar

>every black spell that destroys a creature and gain you life costs 5 or more mana (except feast of blood, which requires you to control multiple vampires)
>getting butthurt about comparing a custom card to other similar cards that already exist

Way too good

Very cool. Not sure about the cost though. Part of me thinks it should cost just a bit more, and that you could up the P/T to compensate.