/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Gehenoth Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for the bright and terrible angel of Veloth in his pre-chimerical form, demonic VEHK, gaunt and pale and beautiful, skin stretched painfully thin on bird's bones, feathered serpents encircling his arms.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-_QALYYUywM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why's it so slow tonight? Khajiit run out of skooma?

Are there towers in Akavir?

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING

Da Ruddy Man

Towers are connected to elves. There are no elves in Akavir.

>No waifus
fuk u I do whaddi wan

Can I be honest? I am new to the board I know some TES lore what do I do in this thread?

Ask questions, post interpretations and opinions, or shitpost.

shitpost incessently
nah seriously though we just shoot the shit, ask lore advice, bounce theories off each other, etc.

Okay then, do you think that someone following Sheogorath could get the ability to summon x amount of cheese?

Adding to that, there are 8 known Towers. Enantiomorphics aside 8 is the most significant number in TES lore, there most likely aren't any more period.

youtube.com/watch?v=-_QALYYUywM

Is it just me or is the thalmor endgame kind of stupid? IIRC they want to destroy creation to rejoin the godhead, but aren't they just as much a part of it existing as they would be in nonexistence?

Unpaid interns and CEOs are part of the same company, yet I'd much rather be the latter than the former.

You wouldn't be the CEO though, no more than the clown from the CEOs weird wet dream from last night is.

They don't want to set things back that far. They just seek a return to how things were before the creation of the mortal realm and reunification with divine spirit.

It's a gnostic thing.

That's not the point.
It's about returning to a better position,

>TES VI is Valenwood & Elsweyr
>There are no Werevultures or Werelions

If they were to rejoin the godhead, it would be like how things were before Creation - before there was any separation between the various spirits that eventually became deities and mortals.

Unlike most races, High Elves especially have a racial memory of a time when they were equals with the divine, and it's become a part of their culture and mythos to think that being mortal is suffering compared to what they once where. All that time they spent searching for a lost homeland was just reinterpreted memories of time before creation.

>the TES:O retcons are made cannon

What Bosmer/Khajiit-specific retcons did ESO implement?

Bosmeri Wild Hunt and Hircine's Great Hunt are the same thing.
Non-humanoid Khajiit breeds are a transcription error.

iirc the put the keibash on bestial khajiit

fuck you i had almost forgotten

>Non-humanoid Khajiit breeds are a transcription error.
I don't remember this.
Are you referring to the bit about Pahmat/Senche and Pahmat/Senche-tigers being different things?

Not exactly a retcon, but the Bosmer now have a tradition of stealing things. And if you steal it, you get to keep it!

Even if you steal it from them.

Even if it's an entire fucking navy.

“Many have heard the stories that a Khajiit's form is determined by the cycle of the moons. Would it then be possible for an Alfiq (housecat sized Khajiit) to give birth to a Senche-Raht battlecat, said to be as tall as two Altmer? – TheHumanFloyd

Moon Bishop Hunal says, “Ah, hairless ones. What imaginations they have! The simple answer is yes; it is absolutely true that the ja-Kha’jay determines a Khajiit’s furstock, or ‘breed,’ as some say. However, the extent to which we catfolk vary in size has been exaggerated in certain Imperial sources. During the Reman Conquests, when the Cyrodiils were seeking justification for invasion of the Khajiiti kingdoms, we were tagged with the epithet ‘beast-men,’ and propaganda was spread emphasizing our similarities to our cousins of lesser sentience. For what could be wrong with liberating a fertile land such as ours from lowly ‘beast-men’? Indeed, curious one, there are truly seventeen distinct furstocks of Khajiiti, but do not be taken in by the exaggerations of Imperial propaganda.”

well, its more like followers of sheogorath would go crazy since it his sphere

First off, "Imperial" nothing. The source on Alfiq, Senche & Pahmat was Jobasha.
Second, it's still vague and up for interpretation. He doesn't outright say "all Khajiit breeds are bipedal", just that humans get hung up on how 4-legs = beast. Jobasha himself felt the same way, when asked how one could tell the difference between an Alfiq and a housecat he got offended and refused to answer. To Khajiit, all Khajiit breeds are equal.
Third, even if we DO interpret it negatively, Hunal's old as fuck ain't he? And Tamriel's constantly undergoing vast magical changes that cascades backwards through time and alter reality retroactively. What was the natural order when he was alive is not necessarily the natural order by the time of the main games, or has ever been.
Fourth, Skyrim introduced brand new Battlecat lore. As far as the main game team's concerned, they're still a thing.
And fifth it's not even ESO. It's a fucking on-the-fly forum post related to ESO. That's like "is Online canon?" and "is MKore canon?" rolled into one.

tldr it could easily be interpreted as him deflecting the question away either out of concern that people are so interested in the "beast" forms or indignation that people are asking a sentient race about their birthing habits and even if it isn't who the fuck cares there are like 3 different levels on which this berk's opinion doesn't matter.

I finally get why some people hate Hunal, at least.

>Come to think of it, it's looking more and more like the Daedric Princes were essentially slots that needed filled via whatever means available.
>Thats how I think it works. There is said to be more than 16 daedric princes, and that only these 16 care for mundus.

>There is said to be more than 16 Daedric Princes

anybody got any examples of this?

Presuming Sheo n' Jyg count as one being.

It's from Elder Scroll travels Dawnstar

Is the sun Magnus himself or just the hole he left, with the light coming from wherever the fuck he went?
Does Nirn spin around its own axis?
Why does sunlight hurt vampires? Does Magnus hate Molag Bal?
Was Harkon's endgame of blotting out the sun to kill Magnus?

>YFW Magnus is the god of magic in the ES setting, but is just a common name in your country, like Steve is in England

>Steve the God of Magic
Sounds awesome.

Kinda going back to the Ra'athim/Mora discussion, there's one thing I don't really get. In The Real Barenziah we can read:

>In Symmachus' thirtieth year, there was great rejoicing in Mournhold - a girl-child had been born to the Lord and Lady. A Queen, the people sang, a Queen is born to us! For among the people of Mournhold, the birth of an heiress is a sure sign of future peace and prosperity.

>"Behold the Lady Barenziah, born to the land of Mournhold! Grant her thy blessings and thy counsel, ye kind gods, that she may ever rule well over Mournhold, its ken and its weal, its kith and its ilk."

>Ebonheart had split into two separate city-states, Ebonheart and Mournhold, when Queen Lian's twin sons -- grandsons of the legendary King Moraelyn -- were left as joint heirs.

So, can I assume that the Mournhold branch of Ra'athim ruled the city throughout all this time, right? And yet, in Carlovac's 2920 it's said that the ruler of Mournhold at the time was Duke-Prince Indoril Brindisi Dorom. What's up with that?

Sun is the hole and stars are where other spirits left, they went to Atherious
Dunno about Nirn
Doubt Magnus has to do anything with it, probably Meridia's influence as she hates the undead

Who else feel Miraak is wasted potential?

>Recorded crime at an all time low following murder of imperial criminal record keeper
I love the cats

The latter.
Good question. I'd assume so.
I'd think the vampire questions have more to do with what the hole lets in. Pure Aetherian energy. Shit's holy yo'. It's like having a neon crucifix in the sky.

Also an interesting thing I noticed:

Daggerfall version of the Real Barenziah:
>Nightingale's of Ebonheart, of the House of Mora, I'll be bound

Morrowind version of the Real Barenziah:
The Nightingale's of Ebonheart, of the Ra'athim Clan - House Hlaalu, the House of Mora in particular, I'll be bound

What would this change mean, now?

Are there seasons in Nirn?

fucking kek

Yes

and no lore about them?

What lore do you need about fucking seasons?

this is /tgesg/ m8, where every trivial thing needs source

>Winterhold
>Year of Winter in Summer
>Every summer they [Kamal] thaw out and invade Tang Mo
Come on.

Well I mean if you steal their entire navy, what are they gonna do, walk across the water to get it back?

And some months name are pretty indicative of season as well, like Frostfall.

Hi guys, is it okay to think that CHIM, Godhead and the like is terrible writing?

Absolutely.

Because it is

How come that nigga Yagrum survive until atleast the end of the 2nd era before he got corprus? That's like 3000 years before becoming immortal. And don't give me none of that 'elves live really long lmao' shit, they live longer than humans for sure but not that long that they'd have gone extinct after they had only existed for 2 generations.

>walk across the water to get it back?
That isn't entirely out of the question.

I think that Magnus can crudely be translated to: big guy.

Italian?

No. And for all the people who complain about it, I have yet to hear of any better settings being made by them, with what are in their terms good metaphysics.

Why wouldn't Nirn have seasons? As a general rule,if generic fantasy setting has something, Nirn probably has it to some extent.

Maybe. Some people take the stuff Vivec said too seriously. He is a notorious liar. Everybody lies in Tamriel, and not necessarily out of vile intention. Truth is a matter of conviction in this setting, one mans Shor is another mans Doom Drum. Nobody is absolutely correct, nothing is objectively true. "CHIM, Godhead and the like" is a pure testament to the fact that 'truth' is up for debate. If you take Godhead literally, you end up with a pile of shit for a setting. If you appreciate the cryptic poetry of the Sermons, and don't take it as historical facts as some morons do, it's all fine.
>inb4 lawrence schick pls go transcription error

Swedish

As long as you're not a cunt about it, I don't care what you think.

Is Magnus short for Muhammad?

All jokes aside, why is a Roman name so popular in Sweden? Is there a story to that, like the Greek name of Vyron.

>tfw we will never see High Rock with seasons cranked up to 11, with tree leaves turning every color of the rainbow in fall, vibrant green grass in summer, constant switching between showers and rainbows in spring, and frozen waterfalls in winter

Does anyone remember Tales of Aniquina?

real funny.

IDK. It has been a swedish name for a pretty long time. Became popular with swedish nobility after Carolus Magnus, aka Charlemagne.

assuming is right

was that an Oblivion mod that added Elsweyr? I remember having that one. I forgot about it, and when I go to play through Oblivion again, I'll have to grab it.

The Swedish Carolus is absolutely not Charlemagne you damn dirty Bork Bork Bork.

Carolus is the latin name for Karl.

Carolus Magnus and Carolus XII are different people, dummy

Yes, and yes. You'll need to track down the dl link from a German site. The creator had some big thing happen and she took it all down off tesnexus

IIRC it was a planned Redguaard sequel set in Elsweyr.
Might be mixing it up with a similar-sounding name though.

Nirn seems to be your usual spheric plane(t), so I assume it does indeed spin and shit. Given that Mundus is Nirncentric, I doubt that it's Magnus' position what causes the seasons to change, at least not in the same way the seasons in our world work. It can be caused by position of planets, especially Kyne/Kynareth, as well as the Nirnian Earthbones like Y'ffre.

None of your Karls are Charlemagne and there was no such thing as "Swedish nobility" when Charlemagne was a thing. So maybe you meant that Magnus got popular after you snowniggers stopped wearing animal pelts and embraced the light of Christ.

Original guy here, why are you so vehemently opposed to Sweden? Did IKEA kill your dog or something?

>tfw when we will never explore Alinor, the Altmer capital city traders describe as made from glass or insect wings...straight and glimmering: a hypnotic swirl of ramparts and impossibly high towers, designed to catch the light of the sun and break it to its component colors

Why the fuck do modern gamers hate creativity so much in their fantasy worlds?

Why are we doomed to tread through uninspired "a province based on one Earth biome" settings with endlessly regurgitated fantasy cliches?

How the fuck did Morrowind get made?

Maybe to the south, but I would imagine mid to upper would mostly be clouds, rain, and snow.

However, that is the comfiest weather there is. Just think of snuggling up in bed with a warm blanket/robes and a hot cup of tea on a cold foggy morning.

I can only speak for Norway, but it's much older than the Swedish user thinks.
Here in Norway we've had seven kings named Magnus, the first being Magnus the Good (1024–1047). Other well known kings are Magnus Barefoot, Magnus the Blind and Magnus the Law-mender.

It spread from Europe with Frankish influence and Latin, linked especially with the spread of the Catholic Church. So it would have been here since at least the early 10th century, likely probably earlier.
Plus, it probably mixed into existing Norse names, like Magni, meaning strong.

>karl xii
>"great"
Poltava.

>How the fuck did Morrowind get made?
Beth almost went bancrupt, so they had nothing to lose. Morrowind was their best game but ironically it was its success that doomed ES series to become shit.
Elder Scrolls are dead, the only creativity left is perhaps in the modding scene.

Another Swede here. Karl XII is a cool king and shit, but he's hardly the most interesting one. He got some good wins against the coalition in the Great Northern War but he fought it with the army that was created by his father; a man who's rarely even mentioned. The famous Caroleans weren't named for Karl XII, they were named for Karl XI.

Like you say; fucking Poltava

If you want warrior-kings then Gustav II Adolf is way more interesting anyway. His impact on warfare was far greater than Karl XII's.

Without double checking the timeline, Yaggers WAS one of Kagrenac's master crafters meaning his power level pre-corprus must have been high has fuck, even for a dwarf.

If we can explain Divayth Fyr's 4000 year-old lifespan as "hes a super powerful sorcerer, it's magic, I ain't gotta" then I personally don't have a problem applying that to Yagrum as well.

I started reading The Infernal City today. I'm liking it so far.
>failed invisibility potion makes an mere-glim's skin translucent
>he looks like a walking sack of offal

Skyrim was pretty good about it. The biomes are varied and definitely given a lot of love. Hell, most here would have imagined putting a frozen swamp in the middle of Skyrim around the time of Oblivion.

As for Alinor, that would be a good place, but I feel that one description of the capital doesn't really apply to all of Summerset. If anything, I'd imagine Summerste to be fairly monotonous and homogeneous.
"The Summerset Isle is a green and pleasant land of fertile farmlands, woodland parks, and ancient towers and manors. Most settlements are small and isolated, and dominated by ruling seats of the local wizard or warlord. The Isle has few good natural ports, and the natives are unwelcoming to foreigners, so the ancient, chivalric high culture of the Aldmer is little affected by modern Imperial mercantilism."

Hi, welcome to Veeky Forums.

>mfw the only reason I know who those people are is because of sabaton

Oh, thanks user. That's really interesting.

Actually this. This could be fucking made with modern technology, damn it could be even made with technology from a couple good years ago, and same thing could be said about pretty much all crazy parts of TES lore. Bethesda is currently one of the top selling devs and they games are pretty much guaranteed to make a lot of money, so cash is not an issue here. Are there really so fucking lazy that they prefer to retcon the most interesting parts of lore just to have less job to do?

You can blame Toddler and ZeniMax.

I def can't argue that Skyrim's environment was "boring", per se. Or lazily done. I like the world A LOT for what it is...

I just wish that beth could go full-on madman again and put us in a world totally fantastic with patches of familiarity here and there, instead of one that's only *slightly* fantastic with patches of the alien.

And yea, my ideal TES: Summerset Isle would definitely be a massive, fully fleshed out, batshit crazy capitol city and nothing else.

I like that Argonian. Pity they've been so genericized.

Yes, they are that lazy, and that miserly. They've been using a spruced up version of the mortowind engine this whole time, for all their games.

Sabaton is the shit.

Nah. They're doing their job, which is to make and sell a videogame people enjoy.

The thing is, what people enjoy tends not to be the lore or how deep the world is, but more so the gameplay and if their donutsteel dragonborn killed all the Thalmors. This leaves the people who wanted that in a bit of a rut, since Bethesda originally went for lorefags but is now more focused of the game itself. Both are important, mind you, but what we look for is more on the lore side.

It's like Fahrenheit 451. The government didn't censor books, the people did because they were boring and they wanted only simple TV, not to be offended or have ideas challenged. The two greatest tragedies are losing your heart's desire, and the other is getting it.
Agreed.

What do you lot know of TES martial arts and monks?

This and some of the Khajiiti books on Martial arts.

punch cats and muddy wrestler nords