So Veeky Forums

So Veeky Forums
A friend of mine wants to get into DnD, so i got a group ready, and am planning to run a one shot, but I'm drawing a blank on what to do. Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Five_Room_Dungeon
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what edition

5th, figured it's easy to get someone into. Theyre totally new

Something simple, the characters meet at crossroads into some major city, introduce themselves, go into the town and find out how corrupt it is, try to help by overthrowing the corrupt regime. But throw in a few groups that they can put into power, with possibilities of making things worse. Far cry 4 that bitch but give them a chance for one that is an improvement

Vince?

after going over their basic character concepts is there anything you can even tangentially tie together?
I had a minotaur and a shifter in my party once, so i altered 'thunderspire labyrinth' to have werewolves, one of which was the shifter's father

when in doubt, run a Scooby.
the Mysterymobile comes in, the locals are scared and ask for help, monsters everywhere, in the end it was kobolds in disguise.

beforehand, tell them they're going in as monster investigators, and have a game of munchousen to have a common background and initial plothook.

you could've just posted in the 5e general

Nope, sorry senpai
He doesn't have any character concept at the moment, he just wants to randomly make one when we get there, so that makes it more difficult to come up with ideas

I ain't your Senpai, unless you're younger than 20

1d4chan.org/wiki/Five_Room_Dungeon

So it's a solo session to make him more familiar with the rules.
It's the graduation dungeon from the hero academy, also known as 'the Tutorial'.

your party isn't just this one guy
if he's playing off the cuff, then look at the rest of the party
it's still a cool fantasy romp if he's watching a thieves guild come after the party rogue for unpaid debts, including the younger sister of the paladin, or the wizard and the druid deal with a reveal that the wizard's master was morally dubious and was harnessing natural fonts of power for his magic
look at the lego blocks your players brought and throw them together in weird ways, if it's genuine, the players will still love exploring what you make

Not solo, got a small group of people

I know he isn't but its just a one shot, so everyone is making new characters, and im not expecting him to RP that much, so I'm just trying to get something together that would be good for a new player. The rest of the group I know what to expect from them, so I'm not worried about making it all about them. But very good ideas nontheless

If it's a group session, he can't build his character at the table. It wastes everybody's time.
Unless the whole group is doing it.

Pretty sure the whole group is doing it. Haven't really discussed it, but I figured I'd get something started storywise

Just keep it fucking simple. If they've never done it before

Elf Wizard, Human Fighter, Dwarf Cleric, Halfing Thief.

They're hunting goblins that have been making trouble for farmers.

They find some and track it back to a cave. They go inside and kill a bunch of goblins.

In the last room the goblin chief has a farmer's child hostage. Wut do?

Stereotypical. Cliche. Overdone. But if it's their first time, and totally new, it'll be fresh territory. Do whatever to can to add flavor and get them into the flow of the game, but don't do anything wacky or crazy. They want D&D, give it to them. Avoid that BBEG dolphin time-traveling nega-pope with a laser-sighted gatling-gun you've been wanting to whip out. Just don't do it.

take a look at the introductory modules in the core book / dmg for which ever edition your using. might want to look at other editions too just to make sure. there was a really good one in one of the editions

Don't.

Do Not.

Kobolds.

Have them be in literally any location you can make or find a map of, if nothing just them around a camp fire, and fucking

KOBOLDS
O
B
O
L
D
S

If they fuck up badly enough and fail to detect have the Kobolds fuck up even worse and alert them.

I ran a one-shot recently for a bunch of new people (it was the first time I'd DM, too) which was basically breaking and entering a mansion to find and rescue someone's daughter. Just give the players some time to meet up ingame and interact a bit before you spring up the mission. The first two hours consisted of stopping a robbery by kids, playing some music, and finding a good place for chicken.

>he just wants to randomly make one when we get there,
Ugh, fuck that. Hand him a pre-made character.

MAKING a character, the first time, is like a 4 hour ordeal of reading through the book, explaining wtf all the stats mean, and looking at the options. God no.

Make some characters, let them look it over and pick one. Give a brief description of the characters, and explain the mechanics of "you can try to do anything, there are odds of succeeding. Tell me what you want to do, and I'll translate that into game-mechanic actions, tell you what to roll, and let you know the odds."