Final Fantasy TRPG?

Hey there Veeky Forums.

For a while I've been wondering if there's a system, fanmade or otherwise, that helps emulate the kind of things you see in a Final Fantasy.

I came across a system titled Final Fantasy d20 online that seems to use 3.PF as a base. I'm really hesitant to use it since my experiences with 3.PF haven't exactly been good. I've also heard about an FFd100/d6 system, yet I've not seen those around.

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/j5p9kf5g80a1w15/Final Fantasy RPG Complete 4th Edition.pdf?dl=0
youtube.com/watch?v=QXBXsBCthC4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

None of the current FF systems are good.

Frankly, Final Fantasy has such a broad range of combat and magic systems that trying to dilute them down to one system isn't feasible. You just end up with a system that's cluttered and unsatisfying.

Try Anima

I've seen things about Anima. How does it play?

I don't think that's true. If you focus on the games that utilize classes (the classic games, things like Bravely Default, etc.) you could have a pretty good system. Though preferably I'd like to see something Ivalice-based.

dropbox.com/s/j5p9kf5g80a1w15/Final Fantasy RPG Complete 4th Edition.pdf?dl=0

There's a link to the d6 rpg i believe. I've wanted to try it out but our DM would rather stick to the 3.5 d20 rules.

Retro Phaze is ment to simulate a generic jrpg with the simplest rules possible.

>If you focus on the games that utilize classes (the classic games
Those aren't the games most western people reach to when they think Final Fantasy classics.

For most westerners Final Fantasy classics are 7-10. Maybe 6 if they're a hipster.

I wouldn't classify 9> as classics, but then again 9 was released 16 years ago...

Thanks, will take a look at both f thse. And is it fair to assume you have some experience with the system, Eyes of the King?

How does FFd20 play? Is it plague with the same issues as PF? I kind of want to say 'yes' since they're cuts of the same cloth, but I could be wrong.

Depends on which Anima you mean.

>Anima: Beyond Fantasy
It has a horrible, lumbering, poorly translated abomination of a point-buy system for character generation with an asinine skill system that has had incremental fixes applied to it over time and several equally poorly or not at all translated books that each expand on one of the subsystems and are ocasionally considered mandatory to make them work.

But once you get past all that, I hear it plays pretty well.

>Anima Prime
Haven't actually played it yet, but the system seems interesting and simple enough to just give it a try. Taking heavy inspiration from FFVII and VIII is a big plus, too.

Beyond that, Super Console is pretty great if you want the video game feel in there.

Anima Prime and Super Console sound really good. Do you know where I could find them, respectively?

Google and Google, if I'm not mistaken.

Post more kwee-kweh burds.

I honestly think that D&D 4e makes a good FF game.

Though, with more of a Tactics bent.

I came into the thread to say the same thing, D&D4 would require minimal work (like, refluffing a couple races) and you're basically done for a FF Tactics game.

The question really is exactly what would you think would "make" a tabletop game be "like Final Fantasy"? Large numbers (which require fucking differential equations to work out the actual damage done)? Ability to change classes and/or a classless system?

Could also go with Strike! if 4e is too fiddly, although numbers getting stupidly high is somewhat of an FF tradition.

banti tbqh

Had to look that shit up only to find it was a fucking /s4s/ meme.
I just like chocobos you meme spewing robot shit.

totally agree, bavi

4e/Strike! is probably a better fit for Final Fantasy than most other games.
Personally I'm using Mini Six for a game set in Ivalice. It doesn't match the mechanics for a Final Fantasy game at all but I really just wanted to go for the feel of lighthearted adventuring.

Play Final Fantasy D6 don't listen to anyone else.

Large numbers really wouldn't be a necessity since that's just bloat. And the ability to change classes seems like it would be a core feature in a classic FF TRPG-recreation.

Eh, it feels okay. The PF FF is awful. And the guys running it are literally lazy and we feel as though they only really care about two or three games in the series. They really don't want to put in any effort into updating anything, or update the rules to 5e. The different subspecies for Mithra are all just named after Thundercats characters and I really disliked that.

But D20, it's okay. For now I'm playing a treasure hunter (not a thief) and our campaign is the classic "save crystals in their temples" thing.

Oh wow, you're right. They are named after the Thundercats. I cringed upon seeing that.

And I wonder if you could update the ruleset to 5e. I'm not sure what even Core Classes would be in comparison to the conventional stuff in 5e (Fighter, Wizard, etc.)

I know right?? Like even now XIV introduced subraces to the Miqo'te or whatever and it's like they don't even care to update. It hurts to look at.

To be honest, you probably could just run vanilla D&D 5e with house rules, if you like the 5e rules that is.

I'd LIKE to try out the D6 system but our gm wants to stick to the D20 because that's what he's used to.

(I'm a big fan of XV's setting, it looks dope)

Does it actually look like that, though? Because everything I've seen makes it look like a modern Japan/America hodgepodge with no sign of anything fantastical.

From what I've seen there's Not-Tokyo (Insomnia/Lucis), Not-New York City, Not-Venice (complete with colosseum, the city is Altissia), and what appears to be Cuba/Morroco (Lestallum) It's all got its own fantastic spin on them though.

Not to mention the crazy stuff and animals dotting the landscapes around the highways and wilderness of the world. I like the look of it.

But yeah, Altissia looks like that

youtube.com/watch?v=QXBXsBCthC4

That's the reveal of it in-game.

Ran 3.pf for like 3 months. It was awful the classes weren't balanced at all, they're bestiary wasn't at all updated and even then, I had to go out and buy a pf beatiary to throw in variety so the party want fighting the same jelly in every dungeon.

I have the 3.5 version back from before they converted everything to 3.pf and I thought it played a lot better. Everything wa better balanced and there wasn't an issue that couldn't be house ruled.

To add to that, the thundercat races where so bad I straight up banned them from play when I ran it lol. But what really killed it for me is how they went and made like 50 archetypes rather than just stick to the classes they already had. I swear, the class list tripled since the 3.5 version.

I have no idea what they're even doing lol

Something I've never understood about Final Fantasy. They always portray the Chocobos as cute and fluffy birds.

Look at those beaks, Chocobos are clearly carnivorous. They should be fucking terrifying.

>Anima: Beyond Fantasy
>It has a horrible, lumbering, poorly translated abomination of a point-buy system for character generation with an asinine skill system that has had incremental fixes applied to it over time and several equally poorly or not at all translated books that each expand on one of the subsystems and are ocasionally considered mandatory to make them work.

>But once you get past all that, I hear it plays pretty well.

Basically this. I had to read and re-read through the rule book at least half a dose time to figure it all out. All the real crunch is in the character creation though, after that combat is pretty straight forward for everyone except the GM. The magic, ki, and psi areas can be retardedly OP if you don't reign in your players.

>And the ability to change classes seems like it would be a core feature in a classic FF TRPG-recreation.
Jobs aren't that much of an FF staple.

Looks more like a digging or nut cracking beak though. Though, I'd imagine Chocobos were general omnivores.

Dynamic job changing is only in, what, 3, 5, 10-2, 12 IZJE, and 13-X?

And Tactics.

I like this system. I have no doubt that people will tear it apart, but I like the way it handles.

And in 14, once you hit a certain level you can start leveling in the other classes.

And Tactics Advance and Tactics A2.

FFT is directly translatable into a table top

>I wouldn't classify 9> as classics, but then again 9 was released 16 years ago...
I'd call 9 classic, but a big part of that is that the whole game was deliberately designed to call back to the earlier Final Fantasy games in style, tone, and setting. It's classic Final Fantasy by intentional design, rather than by time period.

Cindy's accent is like sweet honey on a fresh biscuit.
First I heard her speak, much boners were had

I think they over compensated on her design to make up for the sausagefest of a party.

And they succeeded perfectly
>dem thigh-highs
>dose boots
>workbelt on the daisy dukes
>sexy accent and super cute colloquialisms.
>tomboy
10/10

And 11.

don't forget
>tanlines
>d i r t y

Best one we've got even though its pretty shit.

I miss the forums, to be honest. One of the chillest internet places I ever saw. Wish they would have backed up the archives for Triumph, too.

It feels like the book is meant to be paired with a bestiary and/or a GM guide book unless if I'm missing something. It has rules of making monsters, but not really anything actually given as an example.

Monsters are super fucking easy to make. I used to do it for fun, and for some contest that the admins held once upon a time.

Want me to dig up a couple old ones?

Sure. I've had the thing on my harddrive for a while, but haven't actually done much with it.

Upon further inspection, I have completely lost all the files I had, so I'm going to have to transcribe these from hardcopy. I'll give you a list of the ones I found in my notebooks.

>Kapparwire
>Red Wasp
>Cactuar
>Craw Snapper
>Tonberry
>Mud Man
>Imperial Trooper
>Narshe Trooper
>Garm
>Spikethorn
>Magitech Armor MkIII
>Cave Dread/Dreadling

S'what I still got. Take your pick.

I'm kinda super-pissed. I had TONS of shit written up, levels ranging across the board. All fucking gone.

Lets go with the Tonberry.

>Tonberry
Category: Abnormal
Family: Tonberry
Size: 1m tall
Intelligence: Primitive
Reaction: Hostile
Frequency: Very Rare
Encounter Size: 1/4
Senses: Day/60 Night/50 Sound/40 Smell/10 Life/50 Magic/0
Type: Notorious
Level: 40

Str-15 Vit-20 Spd-5 Agi-10 Mag-10 Spr-15

HP: 6400
MP: 1350
Armor: 30
M. Armor: 27
ACC: 140
M.ACC: 160
EVA: 55
M.EVA: 65
DEX: 110
MND: 110

-Attacks
Cleaver: CoS 140, EVA to deal 150+2d10, ARM Physical damage to target.
Lamplight: CoS 100 to inflict 80+3d6, M.ARM Magical damage to target Group; CoS 30 to inflict Blind (4), Disable (4), Slow (4), and Armor Down (6), and to remove all Enhance- and Barrier-type Status Conditions save Shield from the target.
Grudge: CoS 140, EVA to inflict 200% 165+2d12 Physical damage to target; CoS 60 to reduce the target to 0 HP, regardless of current HP, ARM/M.ARM values, or the Damage Cap.

-Movement Abilities
Move-Ground

-Support Abilities
I; Fatal
I: Mystify
I: Transform
R: Seal
R: Time
Critical Attack
Weak Spot (Wind-elemental, Curse[4])

Exp: 23520
Gil: 7880

The file I used to have on this fucking thing had everything in it. Physical description, short blurb for Scan users, attack strategies, EVERYTHING.

Hard drive crash?

I honestly don't remember. They all might have been on my old external that crashed, they might have been on my old laptop's HDD, or I may have just gotten super-drunk one night and BALEETED FUCKING EVERYTHING.