Bbeg is defeated

>bbeg is defeated
>we are not so diffrent you and I
Is there any times where this line has actually worked out in the bad guy's favor?

The BBEG is revealed to be the clone of the main character and he's talking about appearance.

The PC too fulfills lode bearing functions in his own castle.

the BBEG is a bodysnatcher and is preparing to move his soul into the PC's body, having prepared it the entire campaign long with all those conveniently-placed magic items.

The BBEG is a birthday snatcher, and is preparing to snatch every motherfucker

It was funny when Thulsa Doom tried a version of this in Conan and Arnold just thought for a moment and cut his fucking head off.

Thulsa Doom was a wizard and was casting a spell on Conan just like he was casting a spell on Conan's mother at the begining of the movie.

The only correct answer for when the GM tries to pull that shit

The villain is afraid that his family won't understand what he did, and the hero is the only person he trusts to tell them the full story.

I'd like to see this followed up by a well-reasoned argument for once. Then maybe it would work.

Just
>"WE ARE THE SAME, YOU'RE KILLING PEEPS TOO, LIKE ME FOR EXAMPLE."
is never going to work.

Never. It has never, ever worked. The only answer PCs will give is:

> Lololol right faggotron XD
> What loot did he have

it may not save the bbeg life, but it often put doubt in the hero mind, which lead the hero to act in a way that further the bbeg goals.

You say that like it's a bad thing

Since when has that ever worked anywhere?

Fight Club?

evil doesn't win, but it can survive a little longer with it.

Exactly. Doom was showing his strength by trying to control Conan like he controlled everyone else in the region. He could have tried something else to kill Conan, like ordering his massive cult to attack him or magic or something but he tried to control Conan (who had shown himself to be a powerful warrior and therefore a powerful pawn if the control had been successful.)

Conan's willpower helped him win and Doom was too arrogant to believe someone could resist him and this made him vulnerable.

But it is of note that Thulsa Doom is one of the few villains who turned into a giant snake BUT it did not make things worse or cause his death.

Well sometimes it is more like "we both kill for our king/country and everything we did was just following our orders" but the problem with that is that the obvious reply is "yeah, and my orders are to kill you."

Thats the only response such a statement deserves.

Also the same response you should give to any villain (or random NPC running in to bitch at the PC) that plays the "If you kill me/him you will be just as bad as I/he was!" line
Its especially ridiculous if they say this while stepping over and ignoring all the bodies of the villains henchmen you had to fight and kill to reach this point.

Why should a guy on the brink of death/defeat say that?
Why not just say "Mercy! Mercy! I am your prisoner, spare me!"

we are talking bbeg here, not some run-of-the-mill vilian. its a person who wouldn't mind destroying the whole world for his ambitions.

besides, a hero might be more prone to show acts of marcy to someone s/he identify with rathar than a coward that begs for his life. gaining sympathy from the mc worked in hunger games.

>Is there any times where this line has actually worked out in the bad guy's favor?
Yes, when villain was stalling for time.
The villain's personal killsquad arrived and promptly wiped the floor with hero's party.

Personally, I rather like the villain who actually gives a shit about his minions. "What about the people /you/ killed, mister so-called hero?"

>BBEG
>We are different. Look at what I am doing and what you have done *Points to the pile of mostly innocent henchmen the players mercilessly murdered*.

Yeah, I guess it's too subtle if people watch it when they are drunk.

>we are talking bbeg here, not some run-of-the-mill vilian

Don't act like there's a special difference, especially when most people just use "villain" and "BBEG" interchangeably.

Hell, the original term just started as a way to talk about the villain of a current television show arc, rather than the final boss, and that's really how most people use it.

a game i'm currently playing has a villian do just that. true, its jut a midboss and not the bbeg, but still. anyway he got away in theend (body never found) so he may till show up later.

>big bad evil guy
>NOT the final boss
huh, never would have guessed

>"What about the people /you/ killed, mister so-called hero?"
That's just as bad, if not worse.

meant to also reply to

Hey Megatron.

>BBEG is defeated
>BBEG: "Alright, you got me good. You know, you and I are quite different. You know why? Because I've always got a back up plan."
>BBEG catapults out of the building/dungeon/lair
>building/dungeon/lair collapses on top of the heroes

It works if he's trying to provoke the party into killing him.

Unknown to all but him, he's switched bodies with the main hero right before he was killed.

Sometimes what the BBEG says when defeated isn't something that's going to save him. It's likely more often "shit, this guy stabbed me. Well, I can see where he's coming from and he's as tough as me, heh, I took a good beating."

>GM pulls an Aizen

I've quit games for less.

whats aizen and did it come before chrono cross?

"If you kill me, will you be any better than me?"
"Let me think for a moment."
"..."
"Yep."

Too subtle.

A villain from Bleach, capable of making people suffer EXTREMELY long and detailed hallucinations.

>What's aizen
A terrible thing.

>and did it come before chrono cross?
No, but anyone who thinks that it was somehow less retarded then is fooling themselves.

sounds like a douch.

whats wrong with chrono cross?

Also, I didn't have a Chrono Cross-related image handy and I really like the Aizen one just because of how horribly stupid it is.

Well, it's kinda different when the other guy is you.