WIP Work In Progress General

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-US/Gems-Paint-Bundle
m.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBtItceuec
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah I will go with that.

Perhaps I need to put a middle finger indentation.

Haha, I was considering photoshopping that in to your image. Totally should.

I don't have PS skills but I'd love it if you did!

>FU!!!

It's just like painting. I used GIMP.
Using the brush tool, select the foreground colour (default - black) and then select the pipette and then select the darkest colour from your crack. Close to Rhinox Hide.
Fill in the area (middle finger and thumb)
Select the second lightest colour, or adjust value and saturation from the colour selector leaving some of the previous colour showing around the edges.
Do the same again, but again lighter, showing the previous colours around the edges.
Etc.
Use colour selector to pick a colour from the grey cracks.
Make new cracks.
Use colour selector to grab some yellow and modify the large veins as needed.
Just like painting the model, but with a digital brush (mouse or touchpad).

www.gimp.org

From previous thread, I'm trying to determine a color scheme for my forgeworld slann. Most of my saurus are blue and purple, which leaves green orange and yellow viable options

It'll be a conversion however. He's going to be sitting atop a floating gray rock with a golden throne/shrine, with gray rock and a potential blue-ish black vortex underneath.

Orange might be good, but most of my army is pretty dark instead of bright. Maybe a pale sherbet orange might be good or an off white stomach? Not sure which way to take it.

Pic related is a sample saurus. Any suggestions on paint schemes for the slann?

Awesome

Is it possible to a color pigment to ruin brushes?

I could swear my Ushabti Bone is eating my brushes.

If you don't properly clean them (with brush soap and sufficient rinsing) and if you let paint get up into the ferrel (metal bit) you may also experience problems like the bristles splitting apart from each other.

Also, rinse your brush buy vigorously in water often while working with a colour as the paint will dry on the brush as you work.

Live feed of GS Harlequin mark duplicates for my Human Cultists curing.
Watch closely!

>mark

*mask

I took a peek at one set and the masks are fairly accurately detailed this attempt. As much as to be expected with InstantMold and Green Stuff.
Extracting them will still soft of course distorted them and ruined them so I put them back in the molds and pressed them again, leaving them undisturbed until cured.

Finished my SoB, didn't notice how pale they where till I glue the heads to the bodies

3rd edition Guardsman for reference.

Bad Snu Snu joke too.

colours look a bit flat and these suits don't look gothic enough for sorros

Yep, need to do highlights.

I think a light orange would fit well.

Adding dark blue spots, stripes, or limbs would help tie him to your army.

They'd benefit from a brown wash.

They do have, but I fuck up the Vallejo white primer so this are my attempts to save the models.

(Vallejo white spray primer, ate some of the plastic, never happen before, and well removing that particular paint was impossible, nothing worked)

So highlights, more wash, darken the skin are my next goals.

Swamp Dryad dude here.
This is my first fully finished one.
What do you guys think?

What can I apply over my model to decrease shinyness when I'm done? I know I can use like a lacquer or varnish to increase shinyness, but how do I reduce it?

Look lovely, I really like your greens, and the base looks nice as well. Good job user.

Here is a closer shot of it's base.
I used noch water effects to create the puddle, by first applying watered down caliban green to the base, and created a sort of "fade to black" effect, atop of which I applied the water effect. I applied multiple layers of it, and added some small green foliage bit thingies into the mix to make the effect of "algae" bits floating in the water.
I also added a laser cut water plant to it, but I am not sure how well it fits in.

Thanks man.

He's missing one of his missiles on his Bomm-rakk and I'm not done painting him, he's a gift to my fiance as she plays orcs. She likes kans and hates stompas and dredds so she's getting a whole slew of kan-konversions made by me and my brother. Critiques on the model are welcome. I plan to put a grot rigger sitting in his right foot once I get a grot to use.

Huge picture. Mind backing off a bit for those of us that like seeing it from "table top" view as well?

That is a dope base. Did the plastic plant get missed by the sealer? It still looks like a plastic plant.

Spray Matte Varnish always works for me.

This is his actual right foot. I was referring to stage right in my last post.

Painting is great, base too, but I don't care for the plant.

Is this way too big to be a kustom meka dredd? I've never seen one before.

I tried to make a smaller version of it.
I am not very good at this shit.

Also, I don't use sealers. The plant thing isn't actually plastic, it is paper. A noch laser cut thingy. I am not sure if it looks good or not. I mean, from close up, it obviously looks like a paper cut out, but I wonder if it will look better from a distance, and when I have a bunch of dryads like it.

It's cool, I suck at it too. My images are always huge or tiny with 0 in-between. Personally, I don't mind huge images (I rock a tv for a monitor) I just enjoy multiple angles and shots of models. Gives a better overall impression.

So I've got two things I want to ask about that are completely unrelated to each other.

So I've been wanting to try and put together some tank traps to use as terrain, and was wondering if there was a popular method around here so they don't look like shit when I'm done.

Other question I had was I was looking for a recommendation for a carrying case. I've been getting by making my own foam forms using pieces that would otherwise have been thrown out at work. Problem is, despite my best efforts, I'm horribly inefficient with space and I have a small car, so I was thinking of getting something professionally made. Need something that can move around 150 guardsmen that doesn't take up the entire back of my car.

Anyone know where this lower body is from? Or the right arm, for that matter.

It depends on where you are.

If you are in the USA then Sabol Designs may be an option, pretty nice storage options.

If you want something entirely custom made, I suggest you look at Battlefoam.
Not cheap, but excellent quality.

Working on my goons right now. I still have a decent amount to go.

Pistol, gems and base and it's done.

This. Wash for the love of god

>These are finished
Please, wash their faces one more time to make them look healthier, do the same with the armor and get some basic line highlights on their, and at least tack some purity seals or put some iconography on their sarongs to make them look more gothic.

Anyone got a good medium thinner other than water for GW paints? Is that what Lhamian medium supposed to be?

Lhamian medium is supposed to be glaze medium. You can get the exact same stuff from other companies for much less. What you are probably looking for is acryillic medium.

I really like your swamp bases.

I'm also working on sylvaneth right now.

I tested oregano on the base.
Looks fucking good imo, and the mini smells delicious.

Thanks for the feedback user

How about p3 Mixing medium, will that work? I'm looking for something to thin out paints for my airbrush, but something for regular painting would work.

I generally use Vallejo airbrush flow improver for thinning out paints for my airbrush. I haven't tried using it for regular painting, but it works great when I need to basecoat thirty figures at a time.

If I were to guess, the legs may well be from one of the metal Dark Angel Veterans, not sure on the arm though.

That looks excellent actually. I'm gonna have to get some dried oregano.

They generally have robes fully along the front, especially if metal.
I thought maybe Black Templar, but can't find an appropriate model.
Maybe a Games Day limited mini.

There are 2 open fronted striding legs in the old metal veteran box, image related.

It's some pretty serious conversion work though.

Helbrecht maybe?

>They *generally* have robes fully along the front

And since they are easy to find, they can be easily ruled out. But now that we are sure, and everyone is sure... we can keep looking.

Shit, I can't download from mega if I don't wait 6 hours
Does that mean I'll never be able to download normally again?

Purity seal wise I could not find in my bit box ones that didn't look silly.

But yah I notice the pale skin, luckily I have a set of Vallejo skin so I have plenty to choose from.

Need something for squad marking. Maybe some golden patch on the shoulder pads?

Hey, yknow those guys that tell you to wash the whole model? Yeah, fuck those guys. Fuck them sideways on Sunday. Yellow looks like ass now.

>Helbrecht
You know you could easily verify that before recommending it in the same amount of time.

The legs could be from old Dark Angels or a librarian. Either way out of production.
The arm might be from Brother Corbulo. No idea why someone gave their apothecary two nartheciums.

Those are plastic.

Why in the world would you do that?

>The legs could be from old Dark Angels or a librarian. Either way out of production.

Nope.
Fabius Bile covered with GS and a Crux added to the end off his two hanging blades making it look like a single loop. Quite clever.

You can see the grooves from the pieces of flesh that made Fabius' robes.
I recognized the staples over his abs and the way he was walking and the way the robes flowed up.

You're right, that's both arm and legs found. Cheers!

Bad advice, and I'm a newfag. Any way to fix? Should I just paint over the more egregious bits?

Well thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of getting the GW carrying case as I get a discount on stuff at my local store but one of the guys that bought it told me to avoid it.

Yeah, now you add another thin layer of the base coast and highlights. You weren't given BAD advice, just newbie advice that yields more work for the same results. If some of these people that give advice painted instead of reading tut and jerking off to Duncan videos they would have learned the error in their partial advice by now.
Now you know. You have learned. You are already one step ahead of those people. That is the worst reason to fuck people sideways on Sundays. Or any day.

Metal demons Malifaux-fag again.
These 3 are a test run for the color scheme I'm planning for the crew's centerpiece, The Nothing Beast.

Each is based with a metallic paint, then a wet blend from one end of the spectrum to the next. The idea on the final model will be progressing from Orange>Yellow>Green>Blue>Purple>Red on the single figure.

The metallics are for an otherworldy shine, since all these creatures are based on necrotic time magic. The Orange/Yellow was based in gold, the other two Chainmail Silver from the Vallejo line.

Any suggestions for improvements? Still need to hit them with a wash and final highlight. Currently stuck on the final highlight. Maybe each color pure on either side of the blend? Like a rough feathering.

Some modelz it works great on... Eldar are a bad choice for that technique. I find it works great for orks, chaos dudes, undead, that kinda stuff. You also have to be super careful about how much wash you use, and what you thin it with.

Almost done with this new chaos lord. The flash and photo make the paintjob look way shittier than it does in person.

Looking neat!
Consider a Druchii Violet shade. It will look better with all these colours then you might think, and will add a colour that brings all the brightly coloured units together. Also consider purple weathering powders into some recesses with a small soft round brush at the end. There is a great tutorial concerning the powders for some stone or ice ogre or some such on youtube.

More so, VEHICLES are a bad choice for that technique.
Smooth, large surfaces are generally a no no for this application.
In that case, just apply to the cracks and recesses and then you have minimal fixes on your hands.

Thanks m8.

Was definitely considering that for the 3rd figure. The other two were going to be Nuln Oil and Biel-Tan for the middle. You really think it'll fit all three?

Don't have any weathering powder, but I was considering a light silver/polished gold drybrush, to dull and sprinkle the metal particles for a similar effect.

Pic related for the final figure this will be applied to.

Thankyou my friend, I shall always remember you as the anti-faggot. Have a distressed terminator, he has seen some shit.
Thanks broski, I'm guessing it works fine on darker models but not on my super shiny flamboyant panty-waister space elves?

>The flash and photo make the paintjob look way shittier than it does in person.

Then why did you use the flash?

NEVER use the flash

What colors did you use on the staff? very nice user.

>This dog shit tastes like dog shit and I hate eating it! How do I stop eating it?!

looking cool, I don't think the top one looks quite as nice as the other two though, the gold itself is a bit flat looking.
With the nothing beast just be careful, you'll have so many colours going on and I think it's going to be really hard to pull off.

painted some more Malifaux stuff, working on the widow weaver at the moment, i'm not entirely sure what i'm doing with the skin but I assume either black or dark grey.

Repostan, necron commission

Would there happen to be a guide on paint mixing/wash mixing for Privateer Press or other brands? I can't think of anywhere else to ask.

Hey, Veeky Forums, what soap should I use for my brushes?

Excellt work. I think that the weaver would look nice with a blue-grey skin color.

well, there's the paint conversion chart but for mixing you'll have to do the work yourself

Master's Brush Soap.

Noice.

Follow up-
Wow. That was a great idea. It does an interesting shadow effect.
Going to do a feather highlight (like a Tyranid carapace) of the base pure colors. Then dry brush the bases and they're good.

That looks loads better.

Very tasty. Love the progress on these.

Because its dark as shit where I live and you'd be looking at a silhouette otherwise.

Has anyone here used GW's gemstone paints? I have a Blood Angels force and I'm looking for a quick way to paint those hundreds of blood drop rubies.

games-workshop.com/en-US/Gems-Paint-Bundle

m.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBtItceuec

I've tried them, they work pretty okay, they dont look spectacular but will get the job done quickly

I am the multi-coloured Daemons of Tzeentch/Multi-coloured Spawn guy and I recommended the Druchii bath.
Looks AMAZING! I was scared to do it on the yellow as well, but was pleasantly surprised how we it complemented the yellow [who knew a complimentary colour would do that to another ;)]
They are well on their way to looking amazing!
Keep us posted.

Several hues of jade green applied with a stippling technique for texture then used glazes to shade some parts and painted some veins in the marble with an off-white highlight.

The site isn't working for me currently, but does Malifaux have more pretty-dress ladies? (Maybe some with less grotesque limbs)

How connected is that lowered arm? Hopefully it isn't sculpted attached to the skirt.

Yes, look at the Smoke & Mirrors box. She also has the benefit of being one of the best masters in the game.

The arm is seperate

Fuck yeah, I'm glad for that so I have more options for pretty dress models.

I love me some pretty dresses. I don't know anything bout the game itself, but this would certainly make me consider looking into it.

What material are these and the widow weaver? With such 3d renders I'd guess plastic.

What about their scale? (even space marine-comparison works)

It's all hard plastic. Slightly harder than GW's stuff, but certainly workable. The scale is 32mm, and while height does vary (Much like it does amongst real people), the features are certifiably larger than they are on 28mm models. Your average guardsman will look like a manlet when put next to many of the Malifaux models.

I also like pretty dresses and well pressed white shirts that are present in the game's "era". Look at Candy in the No Shelter Here box or maybe Molly Squidgepidge in the Take Back The Night box for more examples in other factions.

here's a size comparison against a space marine for you.

Do this. Add gold trims and put on some highlights.
FOR THE LOVE OF EMPRA DO A WASH AND HIGHLIGHT.
they look paler than my sorry ass.
also
Go find some purity seals n shit.
SM kits have a tonne so go bitz shopping under Space marines.

Finally got an AoS starter, wanted it because I love the design of Khorne Bloodbound and the blood warriors would make a good replacement for berzerkers in my 40k army.

i made a librarian from an old, free with WD, termie

i'm the user with the purple marines, last thread saged before i could reply, but my white is not thick. its two layers of bleached bone with one layer of skull white, drybrushed with rackham eternal white. it's not completely smooth but it blends together nice enough

>5 dark reapers
>24 dire avengers
>6 fire dragons
>6 swooping hawks
>hemlock wraithfighter
>farseer
>2 wave serpents

>needs to be done by the 27th of August

Do you think I can make it, painting the models to a fairly good high tabletop/low display level?

Don't see why not.How much time are you giving yourself each day?

Have you created benchmarks to hit each day?

If you're just going at it "LOL, puttin' paint on this model!" without figuring out how much time you have to devote to each part, you're screwed.