Dungeons and Dragons 5e General

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

Warforged Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

How do you feel about warforged and other UA races? Do you include them in your campaigns or stick to core races only?

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/Deeppockets_(5e_Spell)
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1SyYTv_
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Warforged only if its a dungeon crawler

Old thread.

I don't even want to stick to RAW core tbqh because nu-DND butchered tieflings and dragonborn are hot garbage.

How were tiefling before?

Still fiend-touched special snowflakes.

Their take on Warforged so far may change, and I look forward to seeing just how they'll adapt them; especially potentially treating such things as Warforged Scout, Psiforged, or even creating a few first level feats to enhance them specifically like they did with the Sniflburbun Magic feat in Sword Coast. As they are right now, playable but I want to see more in their next revision.

Changelings I think they just need to tighten up the language around describing their abilities.

Revanants are interesting so far, though I would like to see rules allowing for for Half Orcs and Half Elves to be them.

And, I think generally, the shifters seem alright at a glance.

Curious to see how they'll tackle Kalashtar, the Inspired, and potentially Daelkyr Halfbloods once they flesh out Psionics and Eberron in general.

Randomly generated human with various demonic bits stuck on. Check out the the 1d4chan article on them; the D100 generation tables are still there.

You know you can still roll the tables right

So, anyone got any ideas, hopes or expectations for the new races in Volo's Guide to Monsters? We know of 6 races we're getting so far, but anyone got any others they really want to see?

For the curious, those six races are:
* Orc, Goblin, Firbolg: Revealed in the product summary for Volo's Guide.
* Aasimar: Revealed on Reddit.
* Catfolk: Revealed on Twitter, but we don't know what "sort" of catfolk we're getting - there's tabaxi and wemics (lion-centaurs, essentially) as "traditional" Faerunian catfolk, after all.
* Tritons: The podcast where they talk about Storm King's Thunder.

Various teasers have revealed that we're getting Orcs, Goblins, Firbolgs, Tritons, Aasimar and Catfolk (though whether that's the generic catfolk or Maztic's tabaxi we don't know yet), but what else could we get? Kobolds, gnolls, saurials, what?

I keep warforged in my back pocket in case some newbie wants to play a Terminator or a cyborg.

I'd love to finally see an official kobold race. Is it weird that I dislike dragonborns but actively encourage my players to make kobolds? They're my favorite of the small races.

Honestly that sounds more snowflakey to me.

Weren't Aasimar in the DMG?

I feel like Kobolds could also show up, along with stat blocks of a couple UA races being put in official books (probably Goliath).

Weren´t kitsune included somewhere? Or was that an UA and I remember wrong?

Real Eberron content when?

lol at the idea of ever getting more official non-FR shit

Next year, probably.

So, on a random question; do folks think that the basic settings of either Rapture or Columbia (the Bioshock series), or Castle Brennenburg or Malthus' Estate (the Amnesia series) could be made into adventuring locales in 5e?

Likewise, how plausible would it be to do 5e monster stats for the Plants from Plants vs. Zombies?

...I make no apologies.

Is there a spell that lets me, like, store my spellbook in a pocket dimension or something? I have a character concept that works well as a wizard, but it works best to have him unburdened.

>what is a bag of holding

whats the general consensus on Curse of Strahd?
I'm not a good DM, but im the only one in my current group thats even willing. I ran PotA and it was okay, it felt like it dragged on a bit towards the end.
There was a lot of hype around CoS when it was on its way out, but I havn't heard much from people who have played or ran it.

I've read a couple ravenloft books, the most relevant being 'I, Strahd', so i feel like i understand Strahd enough as a character to represent him properly.
but yeah,

TLDR; is CoS good?

I haven't taken a look at it yet, but Curse of Strahd is probably what you want to see. Brennenburg would probably just confuse and anger PCs and make them start breaking everything.

I have no problems with them, although I do always look forward to the possibility of them getting revamped. But then, I've got an interest in unusual PC races and am not afraid to reskin races to suit my own needs - half-orcs into orcs, forest gnomes or stoutheart halflings into goblins, etc.

Yes, aasimar are in the DMG as a "build a race" example, but there's a writer on record somewhere (don't know where) saying he's not really happy with that version of them and wants to do one that'll do them more justice, especially since people tend to dismiss them as "boring" in comparison to tieflings.

Uh, not that I've ever seen. Far as I know, kitsune have only ever been official in Pathfinder, unless you count Kara-Tura's Fox Hengeyokai.

Anyone else wonder just how the hell they're going to pull off an Orc player-race? I mean, orcs in 5e don't even have Daylight Sensitivity anymore, and stat penalties have been out since 4e; what's the difference between pureblood and halfbreed orcs supposed to be anymore?

Curse of Strahd is currently the best 5e adventure. It's relatively easy to run and my players are having a blast.

Anybody know where I can get some monster manual PDFs? That and the forgetten realms one

Everyone loves Curse of Strahd.

Well duh, but then he's carrying around a bag of holding.

Repost of a problem just to see if daycrew has a different opinion.
>Team Roster
>Vhuman Eldritch Knight tank-y build
>Rogue/Monk assassin-y build
>Warlock party face and arcane-y build
>Bard of Valor support-y build

what sort of class/build would make a good addition to this

He can just stuff it down his pants.
Why do you want to expend your limited spell slots daily for a gimmick anyway

Yes. Both are monsters that should be Smite-on-Sight.

dandwiki.com/wiki/Deeppockets_(5e_Spell)

How do I have meaningful environmental obstacles in random encounters? Is there a generator somewhere to generate it based on biome or would I have to just improvise?

all i been wanting since 5e's release was kobold PC stats, why the hell won't they give them to us?

Fuck, they did for other editions, but only at the VERY FUCKING END OF THAT GEN'S LIFESPAN

3.5e: races of the dragon, right around the end of 3.5
4e: that one underdark book, one of the last books made for 4e

>reposting because wrong thread

Eyes of the runekeeper versus druidic.

Druidic cannot be deciphered through magical means, supposedly.

Eyes of the runekeeper allows you to read ALL writing.

Is druidic even writing, or is it the weird placement of natural objects?

Which wins, the secret 'druidic' language or eyes of the rune keeper?

brah, just make shit up, just remember to use foreshadowing,
clouds -> rain -> storm -> hurricane

There's a 99% chance they'll be in Volo's Guide to Monsters. Chill, senpai.

Pretty well rounded. I'd say just play whatever you want. Paladin would be another nice front line, you could go Wizard/Sorc for blasting.

Maybe a Cleric of some kind.

Curse of Strahd is AMAZING!

And Strahd is such a fun villain, if a bit of a Stupid fuck face whom I have had the delightful pleasure to piss off and get under the skin of through playing this adventure.

The mental game against him is as important as the combat game. Its fun to match wits with him.

I'm not so concerned with weather, that will be a table of some sort, but I mean more just random trees being in the way, stuff like that that will make the battlefield a bit more exciting than an open field. It's on R20 so I guess I can just get a huge map and cut out bits for each encounter and say that's the terrain.

Wait, weren't kobold stats in the back of the very first 4e Monster Manual?

...Yeah, page 278, with the Gnome on page 276. I don't know where you got them being in the Underdark book, unless there were two of those (I didn't buy any of the Essentials stuff).

Literally from the moment Warforged appeared I've hated the entire concept.

As far as I'm concerned they don't exist.

>Druidic
>You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

>Eyes of the Rune Keeper
>You can read all writing.

You have the magic needed to understand a written Druidic message. You still need to make the Perception check to spot the message in the first place, and you cannot understand spoken or non-written Druidic messages. Iconography and other images likely count as writing, since glyphs do.

How do I work Modrons into my campaign where the main BBEG is Cyric related.

Well, modrons have a history of being vulnerable to chaotic subversion (see: rogue modrons, the Great Modron March) and are innately opposed to chaos. Plus, Cyric is the God of Malicious Madness and a real chaotic bastard.

So, three options immediately spring to mind:

Rogue Modrons corrupted by Cyrics madness begin causing havoc. These may be actively working for him or just act as "symptoms", with their depredations showing that the Mad God is up to *something*.

Modrons are sent to oppose Cyric's ploy and can become allies to the players or provide critical intel about what his plan is.

Modrons want to stop Cyric's plan, but because their intensely ordered minds are no less crazy than Cyric's chaotic one, their plans for doings so make them a secondary threat - for example, stopping Cyric's plans by razing villages that Cyric's agents have targeted to the ground.

I've actually been having a blast with Warforged.

My PC's are playing in a Victorianish setting in an Evil campaign. Their mortal enemy, who happens to be this crazed preacher type out to put them down is also a tinkerer and powerful sorcerer.

The Warforged have become his "Magnificent Seven" of sorts and while I haven't fully introduced them yet (my PC's have no idea what a Warforged even is) I've made hints about something "thundering, clanking, and heavy" following after them.

MM's in the link to the 5e trove in OP's post.

Cyric is also a god of death iirc, so he might have some insane plan to kill Law (as in the alignment).

This gives me some good ideas and a great base for the next chapter. Right now the party's Half-Orc barbarian believes Gruumsh has chosen him and is speaking to him through his sword. The voice of course, belongs to Cyric. So far he's guided him (and subsequently the party) to wreck a temple of Bhaal and a shrine to Tiamat.

Are there any caster-Rogue archetypes other than Arcane Trickster?

Specifically, I'm looking for more of a flexible magic assassin type, like... I dunno, the Vinheim mages from Dark Souls or Corvo from Dishonoured. A flexible, short-rest-recharge caster who can use his spells to improve his rogue-y stuff.

Play a sorcerer and don't have a spellbooks?

Ask your GM if you can tattoo your spell book on you.

Not any official stuff, no. Your best bet would be multiclassing into shadow monk or warlock.

I'm waiting for a more official warforged race before I play one personally, but they do exist in my setting and my players are free to play as one if they wish it.

Arcane trickster are exactly those. What spells are you wanting to cast?

newbie here, is the red box still the best starting off point?

The mega deposit it the best starting point :^)

I'm thinking of making an Assassin Rogue 3/Shadow Monk 5+ to make a ninja. Anyone have experience with this split? Seems pretty obviously synergistic.

The Starter Set is more of a green and white box for 5e, but yes, it's a great place to start.

Monk 6/Rogue X works great. You get magic unarmed strikes and the shadow teleport, and unarmed strike gives you some extra damage over plain monks.

Why rogue over monk? Just sneak attack? I was leaning more towards monk for utility but I'm not set on anything yet.

Either split works, really. I prefer more rogue for more sneak attack and getting Uncanny Dodge, but going more monk gets you more ki points, so it's really down to preference. Just remember that both classes get Evasion at 7th, so avoid dipping more than that into both.

>short rest recharge

Go bladelock assassin then.

Right, makes sense. I had forgotten about Uncanny Dodge, now I have to weigh if it's worth picking up while delaying ki point generation and an ASI. Thanks!

Sneak attack is mighty nice, though.

Buddy, you're not going to be casting shit like Invisibility and Misty Step with a short rest recharge while also getting a handful of sneak attack dice and all those skills. It's overpowered.

Which is more powerful for a gish, War Magic or Potent Cantrip?

War magic

War Magic by a mile.

War Magic:
>Green-Flame Blade
>second attack as bonus action

Potent Cantrip
>slightly higher average damage on Acid Splash and Poison Spray

yeah they are there, but they are considered just kinda mock-ups, the "Official" write-up for them is in the dungeon survival book, my bad

The Dungeon Survival Handbook is a 4th edition Dungeons & Dragons rules supplement published in May 2012.

The book provides character themes, powers, and adventure ideas related to underground dungeons. It also introduces rules for goblins, kobolds, and svirfneblin as player character races.

what are some character fears that a good gm can have fun with?

What's your preferred flavor of Dragonborn /5eg/? Do you like em as humanoids with Dragon grafted on via magic? A proud warrior race of Half-Dragons? Full Dragons who just so happen to be humanoid?

Depends a bit on the setting, but I generally like 'em best as either full dragons who happen to be humanoid, generally by way of the "dragons experimented on their eggs to create more humanoid draconic creatures to serve them", sort of like uber-kobolds.

I prefer 4e origin: Bahamut wanted a race of servants, took a bunch of humans and turned them draconic. Because gods are dicks.

Once I played a city rogue who was absolutely TERRIFIED of the outside world. Despite seeing trade caravans come in and out every day, and ships, and soldiers, to stand on the city wall and look out and see nothing but vast desert in every direction was terrifying. Every time we were away from civilization and such, the character would insist we were lost and going to starve to death after wander around for weeks. It ended up being more fun than it sounds... although I suppose that was more the way I was playing the character than anything the GM did.

Yeah, fair I guess. I guess it's multiclassing for me.

Well, Misty Step was something I was specifically thinking of because of Corvo, yeah... and I guess I don't really get the problem?

I mean, sure, a Caster needs to spend spell slots on Misty Step because they're a squishy little nugget and it's their only easy escape button for a bad situation. It's basically a Dash + limited Disengage for a bonus action, with some utility stuff like "cross the 30 feet wide poison lake".

But a Rogue already /gets/ Dash or Disengage as a bonus action. Misty Step is already only half as valuable for them, so why couldn't a subclass give them easier access to it than a Wizard?

Google got me this homebrew

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1SyYTv_

Im straight not the person to ask about balance but the 3rd level feature looks too strong and the 17th level looks too weak

The spell demiplane is what you are looking for, and Leomund's secret chest before that. I don't get why you are worried about it though.

Stop trying to be a video game character. The sooner you do that, the sooner you'll realize that kind of mindset is silly for a tabletop game. Video games are designed so that you can continuously play without needing to stop and rest for 8 hours. Gameplay is king.

Casters need to spend spell slots on Misty Step because the point of a caster is to sacrifice survivability for versatility. Rogues are already naturally slippery, having a higher hit dice, and deal decent damage without spells. You don't get to teleport all over the field in every encounter, sorry. There's a big difference between moving through terrain quickly and just poofing to where you want to go.

I would like to turn you onto the monk6/rogue x You end up with shadow step, and you get the background of being in a monastery style guild. I think their ki recharges on a short rest too, but I'm not super familiar with them.

How reasonable is it to use a long-term DMPC?
I feel like I really don't have the time to roleplay a character while also running the dungeon.
Maybe outside the dungeon while the party is just walking around town, but in dungeons where I have complete knowledge of all the traps and encounters, my input would probably only be harmful.

Use something like a custom pixie, custom sprite, sentient animal, etc. instead of a full-fledged character. You want something which can be useful, is smart enough to talk to the party, but doesn't necessarily have the capability to do a lot in the dungeon so you aren't playing your own dungeon.

Well I mainly ask because I think it'd be easier to use a DMPC than to ease up the rest of the campaign since we're missing someone.

>How reasonable is it to use a long-term DMPC?
Don't fucking do it.

How hard would it be to run a post apocalyptic 5th edition campaign, set in a modern world?

I was thinking of explaining magic similar to what happened in Shadowrun, in that the end of the world happened and the new world is here.

That and now Earth is violently mashed together with another world.

The way I'm doing them right now is that dragons have an immense but limited amount of power and making more dragons takes up a lot of it so they often create lesser versions that are far less costly like dragonborn, kobolds and a few other creatures.

It would easier to lighten the encounters if they have lots of monsters, or just leave them as-is if the encounters are only 1 or 2 monsters.

Ask the players what class they would like to have along with them and let them decide the DMPC's actions in combat. You can override obviously suicidal stuff if you want, but leave the tactics to the players so your attention isn't drawn in too many directions.

Alternatively, take the idea I already gave about a pixie, sprite, animal, etc. and give it buff auras/spells so it backs up the party without having to be an active participant.

You want to avoid taking the spotlight off the PCs no matter how you do it.

Well, you end up with modern guns, which outclass melee and standard ranged weapons both realistically and by 5e's firearms in the DMG, unless they were somehow mostly destroyed during that apocalypse.

You also have to deal with custom pricing since modern money and production methods might be involved, which can be a pain in the ass. You could handwave that and deal entirely with common-sense bartering.

Other than that it could be fine, maybe.

I was also planning on making ammo scarce in certain areas and go for something either like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or The Last of Us.

Course til they get to areas more fantasy like.

I think you mean 3e; 4e was the one that gave them the "they were born from the blood of Io, the first dragon-god, who became Bahamut and Tiamat after getting split in half by Erek-Hus the King of Terror.

Not that hard, really. Between the rules for firearms/explosives in the DMG and the two web-articles dealing with expanded lists of modern tech and "Urban Arcana" subclasses (City Domain Clerics, Ghost in the Machine Warlocks, Technomancer Wizards), you should have the skeleton you need to build the rest on.

This user's not quite accurate; there are Modern Firearms in the DMG, but he's right that they only cover "civilian grade" stuff like automatic pistols, revolves, hunting rifles, auto-rifles and shotguns.

>Stop trying to be a video game character. The sooner you do that, the sooner you'll realize that kind of mindset is silly for a tabletop game. Video games are designed so that you can continuously play without needing to stop and rest for 8 hours. Gameplay is king.
>Casters need to spend spell slots on Misty Step because the point of a caster is to sacrifice survivability for versatility. Rogues are already naturally slippery, having a higher hit dice, and deal decent damage without spells. You don't get to teleport all over the field in every encounter, sorry. There's a big difference between moving through terrain quickly and just poofing to where you want to go.
Okay. I mean, I hear you, I just don't understand you.

Shadow Monks can teleport 60 feet as a bonus action, then run like 100+ feet as an action. No spell slots required, all fine and dandy. Is that too video gamey?

Rogues can already Dash or Disengage as a bonus action.

So the difference between a Wizard with Misty Step and a Rogue with Cunning Action is that the former casts Misty Step and uses Dash to escape a gang of angry goblins without taking opportunity attacks up the ass, moving 90 feet away in the process... and the latter uses Dash + Disengage to escape without taking attacks, moving 60 feet away in the process.

So what's the problem with slapping a "teleport" cosmetic on the Rogue's Disengage/Dash and letting them enjoy the edge case benefits of Misty Step? As a subclass feature, that's pretty weak.

The Wizard uses up a spell slot because they're worse at that stuff, and focus on flexibility so they get a bunch of other stuff... but that doesn't impact the Rogue at all.

>"civilian grade"
>automatic anything

There any Veeky Forums changes to druids?

In my smaller game (3 players) there are a couple NPC's that become "DMPC"s in a weird sense. I've always been more limited in this regard and typically make them noticeably less effective than the PC's.

They usually have some sort of beneficial skill, for example, one of them is a cartographer who accompanies the party keeping track of their adventures, etc. but is constantly hiding in combat due to a reduced HP pool compared to that of a normal PC.

This is just one example but normally I try not to make the DMPC's all that powerful but rather give them benefits that reward the PC's for keeping them around.

If you're not using Ranger, Land Druid can get the natural explorer for their land.
As for Moon, there are several akin to "gain 1 exhaustion/fall prone if wild shape ends unwillingly", another one I've seen is removing the ability to Wild Shape while you're already in beast form, so onion druids have to shift back or let themselves go to 0 hp in order to take another shape.

So what's the problem with just multiclassing into one of those classes?

Sounds very interesting actually. I actually would really welcome you to my table. As a DM I of course enjoy watching my players perform heroic and mighty deeds but it is also really great to see them playing and accepting their own drawbacks, faults, and fears.

I really only reward inspiration when I see a player perform a spectrum such as that.

well done user well done.

Bard or Rogue for a dancer?

Dash + Disengage is an action and a bonus, Misty Step just a bonus which doesn't provoke AoO. If you don't get why action economy and non-provoking are such an advantage I dunno what to tell you

Entertainer background. Any class.

So only nerfs for moon druid?