Malifaux General

Old one is Pining for the Fjords

books;
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.
New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

>First topic:
New stuff you can't wait to get your hands on?

Other urls found in this thread:

gmortschaotica.blogspot.com/2015/10/unboxing-malifaux-fate-decks-adepticon.html
wargamevault.com/product/171684/Gaining-Grounds-2016-Strategy-and-Scheme-Deck
mega.nz/#!fdxQWLpD!sGoFC-_9J4v5RP-JACGYyDCyXBZoJFqCK1Q_88VjxgM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

zipp, lucky emmisary, and the traditional deck. i was literally in the process of making stamps for the malifaux deck icons with the intention of stamping over normal playing cards than staining the deck. I'll pay the 12$ to have a really cool deck done for me

The OP should probably get updated with a link to the print on demand service and the free PDF of the rules manual.

I got the Through the Breach KS one recently which was pretty awesome. I love the portraits on the cards.

Sorry 'bout that, I just copypasta'd from the last thread.

happen to have a link?

also, anyone know of a place to find card sized print outs of GG2016 strats/schemes?

It was just a general comment, not really aimed at you specifically.

in order
gmortschaotica.blogspot.com/2015/10/unboxing-malifaux-fate-decks-adepticon.html

wargamevault.com/product/171684/Gaining-Grounds-2016-Strategy-and-Scheme-Deck

Bit the bullet and bought Lilith+Zoraida box along with waldgeist and primordial magic. Did I make a mistake or can o learn how to play with these models?

10-4
I have something you can bitch at me specifically though. If you want to offer up opinions on lists I'm thinking about bringing for a Tourney.

Can anyone make a list of enemies that I should watch out for as a starting Gremlin player?

Besides Pandora just fucking me up, I'm too new for any meta knowledge

a great start for NB. I went for A box of young/ mature nephilim, nekima, and a BBS when I started as well though.

rate my wip old cranky / trixy. haven't cleaned up base or really done much basing yet

Care to specify? Any master can be devastating when played well. except maybe Lucius.

thanks senpai, sweet deck and trips

If it's Neverborn, 10T or Resser, sure. Those are the 3 factions I'm at all familiar with.

Np and thanks. I really wanted the Breaching the Faux one that came out last year but the only dude who would sell it wanted 150 for it.

That's a decent start. Pick up a doppleganger when you can. Lilith and Zoraida are good starting masters in that they can run basically everything in Nvb and get good results, Lilith because of her versatility and Zoraida because she's a force multiplier.

Well, like Pandora's a fucking pain since Gremlin Wps are very low.

Everyone's bound to have models that I really can't ignore won't they?

Eh well it's Misaki in Outcasts and Von schill. I posted it in the last thread.

Misaki -- 2ss
+Survivalist - 1ss
+Stalking Bisento - 2ss
+Cutpurse - 1ss
Freikorps Trapper - 6ss
Hodgepodge Effigy - 4ss
Jorogumo - 9ss
Jorogumo - 9ss
Jorogumo - 9ss
Yamaziko - 7ss
+Oathkeeper - 1ss
+Smoke & Shadows - 1ss

Jorogumo are there is kill everything, Misaki is there it pick off stragglers, the hodgepodge is there for his Card deal and to scheme run, and provided Yamizako lives long after turn 1 she runs schemes too. Trapper is there because he's cheap and gives me a bit of range.

Von Schill -- 1ss
+Survivalist - 1ss
+The Shirt Comes Off - 1ss
+Tally Sheet - 1ss
Freikorps Trapper - 6ss
Freikorps Trapper - 6ss
Hans - 8ss
+Oathkeeper - 1ss
Hodgepodge Effigy - 4ss
Lazarus - 10ss
Ronin - 6ss
Ronin - 6ss
Idea Behind this list is to get Von Schill in range and use his Reaper Ult over and over. Hans and the Trapper boys are on Sniping duty and Lazarus is on hoard clearing. The Ronin are in there as soulstones if needed and pokey run and murder junk and scheme run if they aren't.

Indeed. The idea is to work around it. I was more asking what Master you were taking so we might be able to know stuff that can help you synergize.

you could build a more eliteish gremlin crew with higher WP as well as liquid courage if you are afraid of things that go after WP

I'm currently starting with Wong.

I currently fear Von Schill and Pandora the most, although I'm sure table experience will reveal more.

I guess I'm primarily coming from Warmachine background where people will try to tailor their matchups depending on faction. I do know that since you build lists at every match, it won't be perfect, but I suspect that each faction will have a mainstay faction counters.

Wong huh? Might I suggest that you take what said, and make a more elitish crew with guys like Francious, Trixy, possibly lenny (to give wong that extra +1 on the blast damage) and either lazarus or McTavish as wong's glowy targets.

>
>Eh well it's Misaki in Outcasts and Von schill. I posted it in the last thread.
>Misaki -- 2ss
>+Survivalist - 1ss
>+Stalking Bisento - 2ss
>+Cutpurse - 1ss
>Freikorps Trapper - 6ss
>Hodgepodge Effigy - 4ss
>Jorogumo - 9ss
>Jorogumo - 9ss
>Jorogumo - 9ss
>Yamaziko - 7ss
>+Oathkeeper - 1ss
>+Smoke & Shadows - 1ss
>Jorogumo are there is kill everything, Misaki is there it pick off stragglers, the hodgepodge is there for his Card deal and to scheme run, and provided Yamizako lives long after turn 1 she runs schemes too. Trapper is there because he's cheap and gives me a bit of range.
>Von Schill -- 1ss
>+Survivalist - 1ss
>+The Shirt Comes Off - 1ss
>+Tally Sheet - 1ss
>Freikorps Trapper - 6ss
>Freikorps Trapper - 6ss
>Hans - 8ss
>+Oathkeeper - 1ss
>Hodgepodge Effigy - 4ss
>Lazarus - 10ss
>Ronin - 6ss
>Ronin - 6ss
>Idea Behind this list is to get Von Schill in range and use his Reaper Ult over and over. Hans and the Trapper boys are on Sniping duty and Lazarus is on hoard clearing. The Ronin are in there as soulstones if needed and pokey run and murder junk and scheme run if they aren't.

For the misaki list, replace a jorogumo plus 1 ss for a Bishop. If you are getting rough and in close, Bishop is best for destroying enemies in melee. He has swift which is built in +1ap so he can benefit from oathkeeper.

He can choose a suit at the beginning of activation to add whatever suit he decides he wants for all duels during his activation which you really will appreciate for his attacks which has utility triggers for each suit. Crit strike, slow, ignore htk+incorp+armor ( ie the one you will pick the most in resser fights) and push 3".

The attack is 6 with 2/3/4.

For 2ap, you also get a Ml 7 attack that paralyzes.

He also has flurry.

Downside in stats is wk 4 but cg 7 and solid 6 df and wp

>FTW you will never learn about Lady Justice without being infected by the tranny audio virus

Why even live?

Does Wyrd have an EU store you can order the Gencon shit from?

tranny audio virus?

Well, making an attempt at Assembly Line tarot for TTB and fate decks hate me

Played a tournament match and ended up with a -6 point differential on a 1-2 win/loss spread. The one win was a bye round that potentially cost me the black joker prize. I refuse to play to fail though.

What are good practices to select schemes/models better? I tend to lose because I pick schemes that don't work against the enemy crew or they do work to get partial credit and the opponent dances around with 10T Brothers or things that Leap.

Reference to last thread.

Schemes and stones put out their Lady Justice episode. The co host is a tranny who's voice is goddamn painful to listen to. It's obviously a man pretending to be a woman and makes your skin crawl.

that's hot. that's a hot way to live

>New stuff you can't wait to get your hands on?
Carrion Emissary mostly, Reva if she ends up competetive-looking. Maybe Anna, but I doubt I could fit her in too many lists.

I have some good news, my fellow shitlord, Lady J is fucking easy to play, the only tricks to it are her delivery methods via Death Marshals/Brutal Emissary. And if you play her, be prepared that she will die in most games.

Well I'm going to be in THREE factions now. Ressur/Outcast served me well due to the massive crossover, but with Asami coming i guess I'm also a Thunder. Yan Lo and Misaki will help me get more crossover at least!

Can anyone recommend any good step-by-step painting guides for the Malifaux? Beasts especially.

Not sure I feel the same way about dropping a jorogumo. Bishop not being a last blossom and needing to actively dig into other points of the list makes him kind of unappealing to me ATM.

Super looking forward to reva and asami myself.

Reposting the mega link i posted last thread, it has all current statcards, ready to print.
mega.nz/#!fdxQWLpD!sGoFC-_9J4v5RP-JACGYyDCyXBZoJFqCK1Q_88VjxgM

Honestly I'm not getting Reva or Barrows. Someone else i know is getting Barrows so I'll probably borrow him to try out before i commit to buying and Reva would just be "Box of Shieldbearers" for me, she looks boring as fuck to play. McSeamPutina offers nothing new to the game at all in my opinion. Corpse marker manipulation other than summoning is cool, but she just uses it for very bland stuff. I would have preferred it if she was sort of "Pandora but with corpses" or something.
Thanks

I won TWO GAMES today. TWO. That's basically doubled my wincount! I'm Approaching 25% winrate!

Give me sexy ladies and I'll give you NB.

I'd wait for the official version of her upgrades and her crew to judge Reva. It might even turn out that her crew box is useful for the Minions and Henchman even if you are not interested in the master as in the case of LadyJ.

...I only just saw the ice cream the bigass zombie in the back has.

What red blooded man wouldn't take a moment to appreciate this curvaceous figure?

Is that a new ancestor on the left? Looks more Kirai themed, so i guess its probably just a spirit. It will be HELL to paint/assemble if those spirit things are solid.

Looks like McMourning has been hard at work, unless Albus has added new courses this semester.

Gozer would be a Neverborn right?

Did the Draugr change in the later phases of Beta? In the early versions they were able to change their Ht at the start of their activations and some of their abilities and their damage track changed in accordance with it. I've expected three norse monstrosities of different sizes, but they are all the same height and they are not even norse-looking anymore. Fuck it, it's a shame if Reva's whole bunch lost the norse theme.

Really? The axe style and the runes scream norse to me. Remember that Wyrd has a policy against depicting real world religions though and Asatru IS still a practiced religion, if an uncommon one,

True, but I'd have appreciated if they were more norse looking, had more crooked limbs and were of different heights (if they have kept that ability).

Also I doubt Draugr have a place in the Asatru religious canon and would offend any practitioner. It's the same with the Nephilim, their name is from the Genesis and their depiction is clearly based on the Christian depiction of devils. Lilith is also from Jewish mythology (based on a Mesopotamian goddess).

One tester mention an upgrade that had a push, though I can't remember if it was friendly or enemy.

You can't get any sexier than this.

True enough.

Wow. First Lilith being one of the most versatile and fun Masters to play and now this... Getting more and more tempted to switch from Ressers.

I assume those fat things with skulls are the same unit? Looks like tons of fun. Can't wait to see what the deal is with the beasts and the old dude on the right.

I think that the bearded guy might be a part of a spider thing.

He seems about to be eaten.

He is. That art was actually in a recent chronicles, the story about the monsters in the shadows.

Holy shit Archie, that Goryo, and the Rougarou all look amazing.

That's three threads in a row that hit cap.

I'm proud of you guys!

Spoiler season usually helps boost thread numbers.

The real test will be post Gencon.

Corrupted... Bears? To go with corrupted hounds?
Is the prospector part of the spider model?

Nah, undead werewolves.

I'm not saying they don't have figures with resemblance to or names referencing religion, I'm saying they have certain lines which is probably why Draugr don't look TOO norse. They have a guy called Lazarus who essentially came back from the dead.

...Why are they neverborn then?

You can't control your opponent, only yourself. Pick schemes you know you can accomplish. Which faction and masters do you play?

Ask Jack Daw and Leveticus. Or Hayreddin.

Hayreddin is exactly what I'm talking about, undeath is so despised by the neverborn he's banned from them. Killjoy is an undead neverborn so he's banned from them.
Levi is not a ressur and doesn't use their methods at all, instead raising corpses through machinery and some kind of strange connection to the afterlife. JD doesn't serve the grave spirit and wasn't raised by him, there's no reason for him to be ressur either. I wouldn't mind undead werewolves being outcast, arcanist, ressur or just about anything EXCEPT Neverborn.

It's despised by the Nephilim, to be precise, as the Neverborn are not a homogenous bunch. But Titania and Co. were there before the Nephilim. I have no idea if they were undead by default or it was just the side-effect of their imprisonment.

Is Lucius a good master for someone buying the starter set?

Well yes, since he can use either set of models.
But he's not exactly top tier, so you will have to use him smart. That said i think he should work very well with Grimwell and Heartsbane, since both have great actions for him to command them to use.

from last thread got me thinking about the structure of the Strats/Schemes distribution.
Is there a reason or rationale behind which are suits and which are numbers?
More specifically, why are Distract and Stake a Claim the doubles and jokers ones (the rarest, least played)?
Or whatever the GG2016 equivalents are, my PDF reader is playing up.

Pretty good bro.
Highlighting on Trixie's shorts is maybe a little heavy-handed, but I definitely couldn't do any better.
Her hair could maybe be a slightly stronger colour too, just to separate out from the hat highlights.

>don't work against enemy
Try and Scheme-spot based on enemy faction? I'm not sure what to advise here.
>opponent dances around with...
Identify your own Faction's 'spoiler' models to hunt/block their Scheme runners.

Last thread I sort-of started an argument accusing a poster who advanced this complaint of being a fuckwit.
Having listened, that really is an awfully irritating voice to listen to - apologies, user.

Not a big fan of the FF7fuckhueg weapons from this round of Ressurs.

I play Von Schill, Jack Daw, and the Viks and will be picking up Parker. I have no/low interest in the other masters aside from stealing Rusty from Levi (I picked up the metal).

Aside from GenCon sale items, I don't have Lazarus, Killjoy, Void Wretches, Ashes & Dust, but I have just about all the other key stuff. I plan on grabbing Big Jake, Winged Plague to use instead of the wretches, Jaakuna for Jack.

I'm waffling on the Hodgepodge Emissary and Anna.

Word, there's been better Malifaux discussion this week than there has been in the last year.
Can't wait for GenCon to ruin it.

Counterpoint: Isn't he also awkward to learn and generally bad?

Is that Neverborn Marcus?

>We want the Harley Quinn market

I told you bout dem trannies dawg! It just keeps happening!

Neverborn Marcus?

A big factor is how widely viable they are. Schemes that anyone can complete are going to be on suits or doubles, whereas schemes that require more finesse or heavily cripple certain masters are going to be on numbers. There are no joker schemes.

Are you ignoring the fact that Titania is undead? Only the Nephilim despise undeath.

All Neverborn up until Titania despised it, not just nephilim.

>how widely viable they are.
Fair enough, as far as it goes.
I guess it hasn't always been the case, but every Faction now has the necessary pieces in the toolbox to complete every Scheme reasonably well, right?

Perhaps, but every master isn't built for all schemes I'm imagining.

No, they didn't. The staunchly anti-undead in neverborn is strictly a Nephilim thing.

Yeah, it more comes down to the masters. Some masters just don't work when certain schemes are in the pool.

If you had to take a single crew to deal for a tournament. No switching just a straight "This is my 35SS for the day" what would you take?

> (You)
>Not sure I feel the same way about dropping a jorogumo. Bishop not being a last blossom and needing to actively dig into other points of the list makes him kind of unappealing to me ATM.
>
>Super looking forward to reva and asami myself.

Oh missed that smoke and mirrors. Yah fuck bishop.

Reva is awesome. During beta her card changed on every single update because there were more and more ways to break her. She used to be able to create a ton of corpses and her attack was absolutely destructive and there was no way to defend yourself from her. I think she got to a good place but you will see the remnants of her past forms in the weird phrasing of her abilities.

>Some masters just don't work when certain schemes are in the pool.
I hadn't thoughtof it from that angle - I guess if Assassinate was suited Levi would be...
I just checked and it is. Huh.
What's teh GG2016 equivalent?

And what are other Masters that flat can't do/can't contest Schemes?

Just a bump to point to my post.

Neutralize the leader is a free 3 points against Levi since he will die and leave play every match. When I see this scheme I almost always take Hannah with the Void upgrade so I can cheat in a 13 to bury the master and then have my beater models smack them around. I don't need to kill them, just get them to half and make them leave play once. Got a 9-5 win against a Pandora list that way.

Far as the question on which masters...that's kinda tough since the pool will most often determine what the crew will be composed of. But generally speaking, I never take Von Schill unless a lot of the pool is about holding the center or key points because I likes my freikorpsman in the don't die bubble.

Speaking of the 5point guys. I find I love them as much as Ronin. Duck and Weave makes them dead hard to deal with. I had one dempsey rolling to tank Huggy and an Illuminated and going completely untouched for the whole match for Guard the Stash.

So should I bother getting the Schemes and strats deck, or is there a GG2016 deck?

I'd say get both if you plan to play in tournaments since the strats are sometimes used along with the new scheme pool. If you are playing casual with friends, you should all decide on whether to use old or new and buy what is agreed upon.

That said, I find the new scheme pool FAR more fun and forgiving since it creates closer matches. You don't have as much a problem of a single turn screwing you out of 3-6 points as you build gradually. But the old schemes allow for insanity of having, say Trixibelle drop three markers on the center line on her own for Line in the Sand; cheese that the GG2016 schemes don't allow.

>Tournament
>35ss

Ironsides just gives away free points in Deliver a Message. Summoners are generally bad when in the scheme for killing minions(can't remember it's name).

35/50. Doesn't matter, I'm just curious what people would take for an all comers list.

That looks like a solid pool. Focus on schemes you can do easily. Blood rocks at hunting party, for example.

Classic UK Neverborn filth list:

Neverborn
50ss Crew

Lilith -- 7ss
+On Wings Of Darkness - 1ss
+Beckon Malifaux - 1ss

Primordial Magic - 2ss

Doppleganger - 7ss

Johan - 7ss

Mr. Graves - 8ss

Nekima - 13ss

Terror Tot - 4ss

Terror Tot - 4ss

Can you get the gg2016 from the wyrd store or can you only get them from that print on demand service?

Molly w/ forgotten path, spare parts, take back the night
Sybelle w/ bleeding tongue, not too banged up
Carrion Emissary w/ conflux of horror
Killjoy
Rotten Belle or Nurse
Crooligan
7SS

I believe only from the print on demand. But we'll see what happens during the Gencon sale. But I suspect that they're focused on selling models with the packed in cards and extra stuff must come from wargamevault. If you want to save on shipping, I'd say get both decks from wargame vault and save yourself the trouble.

Thanks, I think the key is to identify who can do what easily. Denial is as simple as shooting things in the face or placing a Trapper or two in a good spot to zap things in the face.

>guy who posted that in the last thread here
To answer your question on schemes I assume it's to give a good pool of common ones, you will always see 2/6 schemes based on their suits with the other 1-13 being mostly random. So I assume that this in turn is to make you want to focus on learning the 4 suit (and doubles) schemes so that you are good at them like convict labor, since they will usually be in the pool.

I dunno that's how I perceive it. But I could be talking out my ass.

>
>Classic UK Neverborn filth list:
>Neverborn
>50ss Crew
>Lilith -- 7ss
> +On Wings Of Darkness - 1ss
> +Beckon Malifaux - 1ss
>Primordial Magic - 2ss
>Doppleganger - 7ss
>Johan - 7ss
>Mr. Graves - 8ss
>Nekima - 13ss
>Terror Tot - 4ss
>Terror Tot - 4ss

Why no blade upgrade?

I haven't made up the list and I don't even play Neverborn, but my guess is that it's a bit expensive for 2 SS, the crew and Lilith herself has decent enough damage without it and she'd most likely spend most of her AP controlling the board instead of hitting things.

Sandeep:
Ice Gamin or Fire?

Gaining grounds is Neutralize Leader on a 3.

And where Levi used to like Assassinate because he is never killed just buried and unburied he is free points with Neutralize Leader where they just need to leave play and/or be reduced below half wounds.

Both are all around minions for their cost

Fire gamin are faster and hit harder with their attacks. So they make better scheme runners that can hunt down similar costed models.

Ice Gamin are more durable but slow and can get deadly in packs where one ups the damage of the others via their tactical action. So better at holding points or working with each other.

Good to know.
As a new Colette player, I'm inclined to think Fire Gamin would be the priority for damage dealing, but should I be focusing on improving the (not great) durability of the crew?

We'll for Colette I'm not inclined to go for gamin unless the Mechanical rider is summoning them. The way she often uses prompt makes it better to go for models that hit harder to get them most out of the AP. That said a gamin or two outside her main force could be a good way to scheme run on the flanks.

Don't forget Metal. Up a model's Df, take multiple AP to kill, and clutch Magnetism to kill armored foes.