Riddle thread

First to answer correctly has to post a riddle.

Spoiler your answers.

Image stolen from clickbait

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/tg/1470031356486.pdf
youtu.be/sGiuq8fVWbo?t=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

50 gold + 50 silver coins
The other chests risk inconclusive information

correct
that one was pretty easy though.

This is less mathematical

chest B
If I get a silver coin that means this is the pure silver chest and the gold is chest C and if I get a gold coin that means I have the correct chest, since all Silver is in Chest A and gold + silver is in Chest C.

good (100 gold), fair (50, 50), poor (100 silver)

Picking A: 25% chance of finding fair, 75% chance of no help.
If you find fair (gold), B is poor and C is good.
If you find silver, you're shit out of luck (Best odds with B).
Picking B: 50% chance of finding good, 50% chance of poor.
If you find good (gold), A is poor and C is fair.
If you find poor (silver), A is fair and C is good.
Picking C: 25% chance of finding fair, 75% chance of no help.
If you find fair (silver), A is poor and B is good.
If you find gold, you're shit out of luck (Best odds with C).
So pick B, it always tells you everything.

Turn on switch one and two. After ten minutes, turn off switch two. Walk in room. The light that is on is switch one. The light bulb that is off and is hot from being on is switch two. The remaining cold bulb is switch three.

Unless I'm missing some details, you can only map one switch successfully.
Wait in the room until someone else comes to do the puzzle.
Tear up the walls and look at the wiring.
Flip once switch on, and balance one mid way. Slam the door really hard and watch witch one turns off.
Acquire floor plans for the building.
Look through the door while you flip the switches.
Have really, REALLY good hearing. (Lightbulbs buzz lightly.)
Look up the answer online.

Fuck you, that's clever. Also:
> Spoiler your answers.

Fuck you I'm drunk
Also whoops

I was asked this question on a job interview once

it doesn't work when you consider that modern LED bulbs don't get very hot

Didn't answer any puzzle, but I do have one of my own, quite memorable since I won a book answering it. Some of you might have also heard of it.

There are ten similar cans, each containing ten similar coins. You are informed that one of the cans contains fake coins, and that the real coins weigh 10 grams and the fake coins weigh 9 grams. All the cans, when empty, weigh 100 grams. To help you determine which can contains the fake coins, you are given a very accurate digital scale, but it can only weigh things once before it's broken.
How would you figure out which can has the fake money in it?

Open the cans? Fuck the scale.

What if I drop the coins into oil and see how long it takes for them to sink?

The coins arr rook same. Opening the cans... doesn't really affect the outcome.

You can, but still, can you do it in only one oil-sinking?

This was a more mathematical puzzle, by the way.

Take five coins from the first can, four from the second, three from the third, two from the fourth, and one from the fifth, and place the coins on one end of the scale. Do the same for cans six through ten on the other side of the scale. Look at which side is lighter. Look at whether the side that is lighter is 1 gram or 5 grams lighter. This tells you which can is fake.
Still somewhat drunk and that shit got wordy. Not even really sure I read the problem right but there you go.

You know what's funny? Opening the cans would affect the outcome. Hold 10 of the coins from one can in one hand, and 10 from another. Repeat until you find the one stack that feels significantly (by 10 grams) lighter.

So long as you don't mix coins, you're fine.

Why would I need to use the digital scale to drop coins into liquid?

If it's a digital scale, it probably isn't a balance scale. There's probably no reason you can't just stack 55 coins on there, though. Except that's the boring method.

Because the tinkerer needs all them oil to fix the scale you just broke. You maniac.

But I didn't use the scale at all, I used a stopwatch.

Failing that, I used my eyes to visually compare sinking speed.

Therefore, the scale remains unused and unbroken.

Don't lie, I saw you accidentally sat on it.

55 coins, but from which can? Therein lies the question.

As said before; 10 from can 1, 9 from can 2, etc. etc. the missing weight tells you which can is fake.

You label them by marking the coins, either by indenting or just with a marker.

Marker shouldn't change the weight appreciably.

This situation is too good to be true. One of those chests has got to be a mimic.

I hit each chest in turn, until I find the monster. Then I kill it and loot its corpse. Then I loot the other two chests as well.

ding ding ding! We have our winners!
Sorry I don't have a book, have this Brazilian mecha anime tabletop RPG pdf instead.

i.4cdn.org/tg/1470031356486.pdf

The correct choice is the middle chest, which is labelled "50 gold + 50 silver coins". Since all the labels are wrong, we know it's not the one that's actually mixed, so it contains either 100 gold coins or 100 silver coins. If the coin we get is gold, then it's that chest, and if it's silver, then the one labelled "100 silver" has the gold.

>you have one, and only one, opportunity to flip any of the external switches
>one, and only one

That's not the operative word in that sentence.

Put all ten cans on the scale, and take them off the scale one by one. Eventually, you'll find out the fake coins

Does the scale work this way?

I think it's more that you pile stuff on, and then turn the power on. The scale is then stuck displaying the weight at the time it was turned on. The answer was given previously (You take coins out of the cans.)

That was the entire sentence. You can only flip the switches a single time. Ergo, you cannot turn them back off.

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in no particular order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking three yes-no questions; each question must be put to exactly one god. The gods understand English, but will answer all questions in their own language, in which the words for yes and no are da and ja, in some order. You do not know which word means which.

A single god may be asked more than one question, questions are permitted to depend on the answers to earlier questions, and the nature of Random's response should be thought of as depending on the flip of a fair coin hidden in his brain: if the coin comes down heads, he speaks truly; if tails, falsely.

There's no limit to how many or how many times you can flip the switches in that sentence, only that you only have one chance to do it before entering the room.

Help me, Veeky Forums. I need a riddle with 'mist' as the answer.

"what's another name for fog"

i pick each chest up and see which is heaviest, gold is heavier than silver you twat.

>A person loved, but now is gone
>A target found, but shot too long
>The landmark told, but passed right by
>I steal your breath - what am I?

The gold and silver coins aren't likely the same size. The gold coins could be smaller and lighter though still more valuable.

It came without a noise
It came and swallowed the land
It came without a step
It came an swallowed my hand
It came without a shape
It came and nothing was seen
It came dressed all in white
It left like all was a dream

Alter the number of coins in each can so that each can holds a # of coins equal to its 1's digit (ie. can 1 has 1 coin and can 10 has 0 coins) then weigh all of the cans. The last digit of the weight tells you which can has the fakes (ie digit = 1 means 9 fake coins so can 9 must be fake since 9x9=81)

Yep, you got it!

I am fire-fretted, and I flirt with wind
My limbs are light-freighted; I am lapped with flame
I am storm-stacked, and I strain to fly
I'm a grove leaf-bearing, and a glowing coal.
What am I?

dryad pussy

One of those trees whose seeds are helicopters.

Just lift the cans by hand. One will feel lighter compared to the others, use the scale to verify you found the fake coin can

A tree in autumn.

Have you got enough fucking parameters there? Seriously, after a while this just becomes tedious to unpick.

Eh, it's pretty simple to understand the situation. The solution is the complicated bit.

I get the situation, it's the number of permutations to any particular question that makes the whole thing tedious to work through.

Also, having looked up the answer, you just googled "the world's hardest logic puzzle" and copy/pasted it, didn't you?

Yes.

But how would you know you're not picking out of the 50/50 chest?

Because the labels are incorrect. If the chest labeled 50/50 actually is the 50/50 chest, then at least one label is correct, violating the premise.

Alright, let's see if Veeky Forums knows this one.

As a reward from the trickster god, you may pick from one of three chests. In one chest is unfathomable riches. In the other two, sauerkraut. The god knows which is which, but won't tell. He asks you to pick one, and then opens one of the other two to show sauerkraut, and asks if you want to change to the other, unopened chest.

Should you?

Correct. It's actually very easy, just check all the possibilities. There are only two, and you can check which one by looking at one coin on the middle chest.

No, because while this is a variation of the Monty Hall Problem, I really fucking love sauerkraut.

Yes.
Just think of it with choosing from 100 doors, and the the dude opens 98 of them

We all know this one.

If you made the wrong choice initially, switching always wins.
If you made the right choice initially, switching always loses.
You have a 2 in 3 chance of making the wrong choice initially.

Think of how much sauerkraut you could get with unfathomable riches

>trickster god
Oh boy. Do the "unfathomable riches" happen to be at the bottom of the ocean (too deep to "fathom") by any chance? And, presumably, I get teleported there if I choose the 'correct' box? I'll stick with my first pick and hopefully get sauerkraut.

And there we have it! Though it's surprising how difficult it is to get some people to accept the solution.

You know, I realized my mistake as I posted it. I suppose in your case, all three are filled with sauerkraut.

I made up this riddle.
>Party comes to octagonal room with six exits (not counting the door they enter from)
>Three going left-ish, three going right-ish.
>The wall opposite of their entry point is adorned with a great Base Relief sculpture of a khali-armed woman with symbols indicating her divinity, but not indicating what divine she is.
>At the feet of the base relief is a shrine, adorned with two short phrases.
"When Wandering in this dark knave's land,
choose the path of the best hand"
>In each of her six arms, splayed, is a hand of playing cards.
GM: "Now, these are the local in-universe version of playing cards, which your characters are familiar with, but since you can't possibly interpret those with no context, i'm going to, instead, show you normal earth playing cards. Just assume that they have similar connotations and meanings in the arrangements I'm showing them to you, within the game."

THE HANDS

>1) Royal Flush (ace, king, queen, jack, ten: all the same suite)
>2) Busted Flush (four hearts with a diamond stray)
>3) Four 6's, with a 2 as the tag card
>4) four cards with an ace high (it was a two, three, five, ten, ace)
>5) Full house (three of one, a pair of another)
>6) two pair, aces and eights, with a Queen chaser.

ANSWER:
Answer: The keywords of the puzzle is "Dark Knave" = Black Jack. The garbage hand, if added together, comes up to 21. Everything else should either be over or under 21, and, in blackjack, worse.

I still like this one.

Stealing that

Each of the five "wrong" hands lead to creative and stupid forms of death. Royal flush was a golden waterslide into a whirlpool in an underground river, Busted Flush dumped you in a septic tank full of otyughs, Four of a kind was a four-headed hydra, Full house closed a door behind them and then unleashed so many skeleton warriors that they couldn't move in any direction... Aces & eights is the deadman's hand, and it was Death Wraths.

This is a trickster god though. And he didn't tell you beforehand that he would open one of the sauerkraut chests. He could easily be familiar with your knowledge of the Monty Hall problem and will do this specifically when you pick the riches chest knowing that you'll switch. If you had sauerkraut from the beginning he might have just let you take the chest.

Also the riches are probably cursed with minor misfortune for the gods entertainment. Or the Sauerkraut is actually Mithril that could be melted down and reforged out of its string cut state.

Or they're ALL sauerkraut.

But I did intend on just a straight Monty Hall problem, I just wanted it to be trickier to Google.

I was actually hoping to test a riddle for a game I'm running tomorrow night! Try to guess it with only one or two parts:

The richest thank me for their height, but debtors know me as a blight

I'm known by every man in need, though few of virtue would concede

I give the poorest dreams of gold, and thrust the merchant toward his fold

Greed? Bank loans? Cocaine?

Greed?
Bank loans?
Cocaine?

A Loan Shark?

Your first guess!

Are you entirely sure it isn't LSD?

I would not use the first line on its own. Other than that, it seems fine to me except for the meter on the last one.

These are pretty good, thanks!

Well... you're not WRONG...

That one killed the party sorcerer. It took them forever to figure it out.

Dumb fogposter.

Toward is technically 2 syllables, but most people pronounce it as 1.

Thanks. Mine only works if you're allowing missed as a homophone. Other guys is better if you're not.

Here was one that I found extremely brutal

>Left alone, I'm a word with five letters.
>I'm honest and fair, I'll admit.
>Rearranged, I'm of no use to trains.
>Again, and I'm an overt place, warm and well-lit.

Seen this one before. It's so much harder than it should be, really.

What is in my pocket?

The preciousssssss.

Matter.

what is it?

A Liar

Okay the first two I can see how they fit.
But what is it for the last ones?
rail and lair?

Yep. A rail IS useful for a train. a Lair is not typically overt, warm or well-lit.

Neat. Now I know that, I also like that given it involves anagrams, the first letters of each line are L I R A.

honestly? I'd never ever would have gotten it on my own

Didn't notice that. That's great.

Me either, I had to look it up.

Everything except the things outside of your pocket.

deez nutz

What's the answer to the riddle?

youtu.be/sGiuq8fVWbo?t=2

See this is why I play low INT characters.

B.

Because I know chest A does not contain 100 gold coins. B either contains 100 gold or 100 silver. If I get a gold coin from B I know it has the 100 gold. If I get a silver coin then I know C has the 100 gold.

B, it will either be gold or silver.If it's gold, you choose that one, if it's silver, you choose C

This riddle is worded incorrectly, as is it's unsolvable. You need the ability to flip off a switch after waiting a bit so it can heat.

Put all the coins in one can, that can has the fake money in it :^)

A wicker man?

Ignoring that this is obviously shitposting that can't be answered...

I ask god A "Do you speak truthfully?" and note his answer
I ask god B "Do you and he speak truthfully?" and note his answer
Then I ask god C "Do all three of you speak truthfully? and note his answer
yadda yadda, name the three of them.

Yes Monte Haul

without having looked at the spoiler...
You should write this in the future with actual card names not just identifying the poker hands.

I have no idea, I'd pick the Royal Flush and just have the rogue check for traps because we obviously chose the lowbrow answer

Having read the spoiler, I'd suggest changing the hints. For starters, rather than a goddess statue, use a statue of a jester. And every dead end should have a hand carved into the walls to represent the dealer's hand, and they should all sum up to 21. Perhaps add a line that reads something like "Do not think this is just, your fortunes are already bust."

Debt

>every dead end should have a hand carved into the walls to represent the dealer's hand, and they should all sum up to 21. Perhaps add a line that reads something like "Do not think this is just, your fortunes are already bust."

To be fair, if the dealer gets 21 as well, it's a tie not a win. That said, in my experience when you get 21, the dealer ends up with a Blackjack and you lose anyway...

the dead ends were hands that didn't sum up to 21 though, that's supposed to be the hint. The dealer doesn't always get 21

Which gives me a great idea for a secondary puzzle, the correct hand ends in a wall

It's a push

Oh yeah I get the puzzle, I'm just not a huge fan of the idea of giving the dealer a hand of 21, given that the correct answer is also a hand of 21. Though that said, if the right answer does end in a wall (or button) they need to push, it then makes more sense.