RE:Monster Ex Quest 133

Recap Thread 4

You've been ignoring the sensation at the back of your neck for a while now, but it just won't go away.

It's not danger, or movement on or under the ground. Everyone knows this feeling, you're sure.
It's that crawling sensation of indeterminate guilt. You know you're in trouble, you just aren't quite sure what you've done.

And besides, you reassure yourself. You haven't done anything wrong. You're sure of that. You've been very careful, yes.
And Mom should be half a country away by now. Probably.

The river you're on is slow.
Relaxng, really. You're not sure of the destination yet, but the dungeon seems to be vaguely automatic- There's not much in the way of navigation required.

So instead, you're left to contend with your friend dramatising your life story, all while riding your back.

"With her companion fallen, she would not rest, would not tire-"
"We stopped to eat, yes. And at night."
"... Her spirit was tireless, unconquerable! She would press deep into the woods and save her follower, and naught would slow her-"

You drag your hand in the water as the raft follows the river.
She's not wrong, really. Nin just... exagerates. To a certain extreme, on occasion.

>Lann
>Sheszka
>Sara
>Other(?)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/u/REQM
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Re-Monster
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Snake quest
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Dr.Unorigional
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/tripcode/Me.qpOlLW2/type/op/order/asc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The recap is picking up speed as we approach big events!

Announcements: twitter.com/REQMX

Q&A: ask.fm/REQM

Character Sheet and Misc:
pastebin.com/u/REQM

Archive:
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Re-Monster

>Lann

>Lann

>>Lann

>Other(?)
Those Eye things we saw (and scared the shit out of) in the dark.

No, I have no clue how the moth could have gotten their perspective, but I don't care. I've wanted to know what that was for ages now!

Sara maybe? Also, can anyone calculate the groundspeed of an angry Spidermom?

>Lann

>>Sheszka
Sick doggy perspective!

>Also, can anyone calculate the groundspeed of an angry Spidermom?
She travels at mom speed, which means she will arrive when its the most awkward for Lyra.

>Lann

I also wish to know what those were. A lot.

Recap threads are nice and all, but I'd also like to know when the journey will continue again.

Also, Elle's sheet still hasn't updated.

>>Lann

SPIDERS!

I wonder if Lann has developed/can develop any more permanent traits, like the fangs.

I also wonder how she reacted to Elle's evolution.

>>Lann

Who knows. Probably when nin is done?

The thread starts with 50% elves!

writing!

>I wonder if Lann has developed/can develop any more permanent traits, like the fangs.

A neverending headache?

Elf Fangs do not cause headaches! They are useful tools for subduing prey, digesting food, and sedating noisy lovers!

>sedating noisy lovers
And by sedating you actually mean liquifying, right?

Yeah, our fangs are permanently set to "smoothie". Also, I reread the archive, and I miss draining our food.

So, when do we find the wheat-castle at the end of the dungeon with no lyra sized holes?

Make Lyra sized holes.

It's altogether kind of surreal, really.

Like- You're an adventurer. You've seen all sorts of things. Tons of things.
You saw a guy dissolve into ash, then turn back into a guy, then bite another guy.
And a dungeon where everything was upside down.

You spent a day just lying on the ground after that. Dirt never felt so good.

Anyway, the point of this- of all of this-
Is that you're an adventurer. A common adventurer. You live from job to job, you sit with your friends in the inn.
You aren't a hero out of myth, fighting the truly frightening monsters of legend, wandering into forgotten mists and so on.
Little jobs. That was your plan.

It's Lyra's fault, you decide. The moment you met the spider, everything started going backwards.

You were invited into the bloody arachne's forest. You saw the ruins and spent time in a spider's nest.
(Which is much nicer than you thought, you'll admit. It was warm and soft and gods, those blankets-)
And then you fought a Hydra. And someone was poisoned. And now you're so far into the forest that you doubt any human- or half human- has ever seen this, you just watched your friend, a giant spider girl, murder a bear the size of a tree. Several trees.

And now-

Now, in the hallowed and holy centre of the ancient woods, you're face to face with something noones even seen, who has healed a poisoned wolf and is recounting centuries old history like it was yesterday.

He is a wendigo, so you were quite pleased to learn that they don't actually eat human flesh. As it is, though-

Most of the sheets are dated. Hoping little snake gets bigger soon.

"-The walls stood, but it was no more. So she shattered the walls and the army alike."

It's one thing to hear legends, but it's another thing entirely to heaer it recounted as history.
Though maybe a little less, now that you know a spider.

You only spend one night there, in the end. A forest so old that you can feel it with each breath, where glowing moss keeps stone-carved history alive. You're glad to see the sun again.

"-and with her companion safe and sound, she strode proudly from those dark woods, her drive renewed, her bearing regal!"
"And next isss me!"
"Yes! For the queen could not be satisfied with only the support of those around her- All the forest would know of her might, and her-"
"No, she jussst got angry at trees."

You put your head in your hands.

"A critical part of storytelling is embellishing, you know. You're supposed to make the hero look good!"
"You are a herald, though?"
"It's the same thing! And mines even more important, cause it's real people!"

>Ezzy
>Sheszka
>Nin
>Sara
>Other(?)

>>Ezzy
Tiny opinions!

>>Ezzy

Tough one.. but I guess Ezzy wins out here.
I always wondered if she was suicidal or just utterly trusting of giant spiders to insult one right off the bat.

>>Ezzy
TINY DIRT HOUSE FOR TINY DIRT SNAKE!

>Nin

>>Ezzy

>Sara

>>Ezzy

That's racist. They're called "Earth snakes". You don't live on a plantation.

>>Ezzy

Ezzy

>Other(?)
Ezzy's mom

Snakes!

Writing!

Ezzy. Or nin. Mostly ezzy.

I wonder how much we have to eat to make a blanket? How much does elle eat? I wish that calculate exactly how many things have to die for the most luxurious bed.

I was surprised to see this.

Pleasantly surprised.

I, for one, am tickled pink these arent dead.

Yeah, the update schedule has been much slower than they were, so every week or so I'd check the twitter and feel sad when there wasn't any word.

I hope today's gotta be the last recap

This is the only good bit of Re:monster fiction. I'm counting the original as well. I had high hopes for that novel until it turned into a series of lists about how powerful the protag is, who the protag has raped recently, and all his allies.

Hopefully we are back on track now. I wish to see everyone again. Also, I wish to make our elf and grandma have a heart attack. Then assault her with a letter.

The other quests aren't bad, from what i've seen of em. I still miss the snake one. Where am I to get my awkwardness now?

You could always w-write your own.

I'd do it if I thought I could.

Sorry, all the things I write turn into cyberpunk comedy or assholes with a time machine.

I'm writing the rough draft of a planeswalker story right now. I might add it to the list once I'm through with that one, but it'd take forever to do all the worldbuilding. I'm saved that on the mtg story since I already did it for a homebrew DnD campaign my friend made the system for.

I didn't even know there was a snake one. I've seen Re:armor, Re:Succubus, Re:Centaur, and Re:Lizard. Re:Lizard wasn't that bad, but it looked like it was heading towards a "Struggling with my sanity" plotline, so I checked out.

Now that I think about it, snek in cyber land trying to con their way into a decent living and dodging tank police might b cool

>Re:armor, Re:Succubus
where were these two?

Royalroadl.com

95% of the writers there are awful, but there are a few gems now and then. They also like to beg for Patreon donors, so I leave scathing reviews so they'll kill themselves. Maybe. One can hope.

were they worth reading or should I not bother?

>I didn't even know there was a snake one.
For a little while it competed pretty evenly with this one, but QM mismanagement and, uh, interesting decisions from QM 2.0 killed it, sadly.
>[Lizard] looked like it was heading towards a "Struggling with my sanity" plotline
Are you talking about night-Sunni? or the crab thing?

I'm half sure it's dead anyway, Lamb doesn't seem interested anymore

>"Struggling with my sanity"

Hint, it didn't

Re:cyborg when?

Re:Armor was a flaming abortion. I honestly don't remember if Succubus was or not, so give it a whirl and see. English is a second language for most of the authors on that website. Most of the shit on there is awkward as fuck to read and their MC's emulate Wuxia novels.

I would read Cyberpunk Re: Something. Would be cool twist to have the protag reborn into something Shadowrunny instead of Generic Fantasy Land.

So, uh... When did we get on a river? This dungeon is confusing. And fractal

There was also Re:Harpy, Re:Kobold, and Re:Human. All dead as far as I know.

This, To The Stars, Russian Roulette, and Xander Quest are my favorite stories and have been for years. I'll be exceptionally sad if one of them dies.

There was also Re:Kobold, started with cute awooing, take turn for grimdark and shitstorms.
Re:Harpy, quest pretty much ded before they even got out of adorable childhood phase (although it did sit there for a long time)

Re:Snake FYI was that reincarnee was basically Tomoko and kept the full insecurity as a snek. Hatching abandoned in the woods didn't help.

We entered a portal and thus the next level at the end of the previous thread.

You are presently angry, out of breath, and according to your mother, you have been arguing with a child.

A child more than a hundred times your size overall, but a child.

And the argument might have been your fault. Just a little.

But she slammed facefirst into a tree! What was she even doing? And why was it the tree that broke?

She says she's here because her friend is hurt. And now she's on her way home.
Wait. How did she get to the wendigo?

"-And skulls are not clothes, child. What would your mother say?"
"I am not- It is not clothes, yes? I have grown. I have grown twice!"

You blow up. Just a little bit.
Cause it's not fair. That's not fair. You don't just grow. It takes time. Time, time, time. If you can just grow, you'd have done it already.
Instead, you're small and angry and waiting for it, and picking fights with baby spiders who are cheating.
This isn't fair at all.

Breakfast is good though.
Food is cooked and caught for you.
Which is good, because you feel a bit awkward aabout not being able to properly help at home-

That line of thought is interrupted when the spider magics a hole in the ground, fills it with river water, and then somehow heats the entire thing to the point where it's gently steaming.

Oh gods, yes. This is amazing.

You clean yourself as the arachne and her friends bathe, and as conversation floats away from you, you start to think.
SHe said she's grown twice.
And her friends have, too.

So that means- That means that there's a secret. There has to be.

I googled Re:Snake and didn't come up with anything besides a bunch of reddit posts. You got a link?

It's all too easy for you to disappear once everyone's said their farewells.
Your mother doesn't even notice you vanishing. See! You could hunt if you really needed to. It isn't hard!

Getting into the boat is a little difficult.
You aren't proud of your size. But this will help-
All you have to do is follow her until you find the secret, and then-

"Did you need to put the argument in the ssstory?"
"Of course!"
"How did you even know about the argument? You weren't there, yes!"
"Aha! You think you can keep secrets from your herald?"

"You asked my mom, didn't you?"
"Don't be ridiculous. I bribed Lilliana with healing dust."
"That- That is not any better. At all."

The fields around are growing more sparse, the river gradually widening. A few legs is all it takes to keep you close to the bank, just in case. It isn't picking up speed, though. And you can't see any rapids ahead, either. Just more river.

"Anyway. Next is the beginning of something truly large- The guild itself accepts the lady's hand, cementing her legend amongst the humans, and sending her name to the winds-"
"I built a bath, yes."

>Edmund
>Nin
>Sheszka
>Other(?)

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Snake quest

I think this is it? it's a bit scrambled

>Edmund
Well thats a new one

>>Edmund
poor guild master

>Edmund
Seriously, Sheszka didn't care much and Nin.. wasn't she asleep? I forget. Anyway, guild officer is a nice perspective.

>>Edmund

>>Edmund

Another vote for paperwork man

Sure, gimme a moment

...oh damn I forgot how much of a mess the tagging was on it
It only gets consistent from the fifth suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Dr.Unorigional
But you can check the beginning on 4plebs too.
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/tripcode/Me.qpOlLW2/type/op/order/asc

>Sheszka
Need more Shez.

I'm gonna give it a read because I'm hoping to find another Re:Monster story as good as this one. I'm not holding up any hope, but I can dream.

>>>Edmund

>>Edmund

A guild officer in distress!

Writing!

It's drastically different in tone, but the QM writes that tone with wonderful degree of feeling.

Do you guys think "makes baths real gud" has entered into our red queen rumors? Or are those entirely different sets of rumors?

I expect it will grow in it's own in time. The Queen of 10,000 baths. And oh yeah, she's a spider too, I think.

Elves will be jealous on their fancy magic baths being less special.

I think it's not even a thing, personally. It would just get subsumed into all the other feats of earthcrafting.

You sit in your closet, papers all around you as you gently make your way through them, and they not so gently grind your soul down into dust.

And yes, it is a closet. Putting a desk in it does not make it an office. Offices are nice. They are for officials. They have windows, and secretaries, and drinks and comfortable chairs.

Offices are not tiny rooms in the back of a half-inn that you had to clear brooms out of before they put the desk in. They aren't tiny cages where you sit by magelight trying to process everything that goes on in the village by yourself, because your superiors are simultaneously cheap and demanding.

'Oh, we need reports weekly! It's the spider forest. It's important!'
'Of course you can do it! We can count on you!'
'Guild work? You can do that to! You were doing it already, weren't you?'

Shove it, you pompous nitwit. You'd bet his secretaries quit every week. How can anyone that dense be that rich?

You about cheered when Lann proved the existence of tiny snake people. If only so he shut up for a bit.

And now someone is knocking.

It's a break from the drudgery, at least.

"Lann? You filled out for the month, didn't you? I didn't think I'd see you up before sundown?"

The ranger takes a seat, and gestures to the door as she expands on her reasons for being up on her week off.
Spiders.

Just one really, though she's one of six. Theresa is all but frothing at the mouth, what with the family visiting so often.
You'll admit you can see the reason- in just these few months alone, the beer in the guild hall has gotten at least twice as good. The town is a little more rich now, and it's showing.

well, I know for sure the guild at least talks about it, since reports of our baths are spread before we are

And now it's your turn, apparently.
She wants to register for the guild.

The next few weeks are something of a blur, and not just the regular overworking kind.

The kind where there's a spider in the guild hall most days, and then there's a heated bath fed by underground springs, with carvings everywhere. And a house that springs up overnight, built of stone, to house another, different spider who plans on living in town.

On the plus side, heated baths.
And you're the officer. Which means you don't need to pay, and you can visit every single day, and just relax.
The paperwork is almost worth it it.

"With a wave of her hands, the town became one of prosperity, yes! A place of life and happiness, of bright smiles and brighter futures!"
"It was a bath, Nin."
"Tsk. You just don't understand."

"What's next, though?"
"HEROISM!"
"The forest's little war."

"You kept the town safe."
"Mmm."
"That's the important part."

"Thanks."

"And so, even as waves of enemies moved in the dark, the Queen stood tall and proud, unmoving in the face of such threats! And even as her foes faltered-"

>Guardsman
>Nin
>Wolf Alpha
>Jin
>Other(?)

>>Wolf Alpha
"Today I got my shit wrecked"

>Wolf Alpha

>>Guardsman
The one that fell off the wall, I hope.

>>Guardsman
I'd pick Jin, but she's kinda short on words most of the time.

>>Wolf Alpha
Dear Diary,
Today I got mauled by spiders.

>Wolf Alpha

>Wolf Alpha
Spiders are scary. The end.

>Wolf Alpha

>>Guardsman

>Nin