DnD 5e General

D&D 5th Edition General

The "What's the Most Intense Encounter You've Been In?" Edition.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful/
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1_XLU6DrsM9QzRNUTZHSjNTSk0/view
drive.google.com/file/d/0B4fgrcv8-6IKaHZtbXRiOW8zQmc/view
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>August 2016 Unearthed Arcana
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful/

I got you fampai.

It's kind of a ripoff of the Phandalin part of Phandelver, but could yall give me feedback on my Goldcliff Adventure?

Good release.
I'm going to brainstorm some invocations for the new pact and post them.

Thanks mate and actually a great UE I'm shocked.

A Priest who's also an assassin? A cool character but there would be problems if some Paladins showed up big time.

I think he's counting on the Paladin to go after the craven mayor and bandits before the priest, giving him enough time to get out of dodge if need be.

You're the man. I love finding decent homebrew invocations.

I have a character concept I want some feedback on.
Basically I want to be a Half-Orc Monk Prize Fighter. Not sure if it will be Boxing, Kickboxing or Pankration/MMA like rules but I wanted to have my characters side arc of him starting off crushing cans in local streetfights/semi-legal boxing. Then working his way up to being a prospect, then a contender and then nation wide champion. My excuse with going with the party was you know how Zangief trains by wrestling with bears? What better way to to git gud then by getting into fist fights with ogres and shit? And to convince the party to bring me a long they can be my "Managers" and get a percent of my fight purse which will really pay off down the line.
I am hoping to include things such as the potential for cheating, corrupt officials, Mob intervention and so on.
I even made him a Half-Orc to make a comparison to the discrimination that black fighters have had historically and overcoming that discrimination by becoming cultural icons.
The end goal for him would be to open his own gym and training a stable of young fighters.
Is this a good idea or shit? Would there even be a DM to indulge me?

Meeeeeeh, could work. Could play many different stories for it. He could of been a champ to begin with but maybe he didn't got all his shit taken by the mob when he refused to take the fall in a fight. And excuse to go adventuring would be to obviously train and to also get enough money so he can build his own gym. Could even have him fight in illegal pits for extra cash when staying in town, like how bards sometimes play music for coin.

The idea was that an adventuring party would go to different towns anyway and I would fight in the regional scene to Pad my record, make money and gain fame. Maybe after a while hire a herald to record my wins and announce me by my titles.
"Standing here with a record of 14-0 all 14 wins by way of Knockout! Matt! "The Hammer!" Hamill!"
(I have not decided on a name yet but a good Prize Fighter should always have a cool nickname.)

The disgraced champion might be a good angle but isnt level 1 DnD characters shitty? a former champ would be ATLEAST level 5 and even then probably a regional champ.

>Is this a good idea or shit? Would there even be a DM to indulge me?

Why not? He has a spirit of adventure and wants to fight things. Sounds like a perfect companion to most adventuring parties.

>The disgraced champion might be a good angle but isnt level 1 DnD characters shitty?

You can start by taking the "Folk Hero" background and have him a champion of his local gym/arena.

His "defining moment" could be winning a big fight and winning a small name for himself in the local area which attracts the attention of those who need adventurers. Easy way to plot hook you into the story as well.

I meant the whole side character arc I had.

This is a good idea actually! The original inspiration I had was looking through the Quintessential Monk books. I wanted to play either:
Earth Dragon Wrestler
Double Hammer
Iron Legs Kickboxer.
They could all work for the idea I had.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B1_XLU6DrsM9QzRNUTZHSjNTSk0/view

Some dude on Reddit made a Mini Campaign that takes place in Innistrad.

I much prefer his human variants as opposed to the ones WotC made.

>I meant the whole side character arc I had.

As a DM I enjoy when players have some ideas of their own and while I never promise them I will 100% honor their own unique story lines I do always make a big effort of letting everyone a chance to flesh themselves out.

Big money attracts big personalities and there's always an element of criminality in the shadows where these things collide. I don't see why it wouldn't be within the realm of reason, just don't let yourself be pushy and try to center it all around you and it sounds like you've got a fun little character to play.

I wish I knew a DM like you to let me do it. I always feel like I am too ambitious and no DM will put up with it.

If you have a riding animal and you're controlling it, you don't need any proficiency in Animal Handling or some kind of riding skill, right?

While I'm still on the subject, is there any reason not to take your horse into a dungeon?

I'm trying to make a Kamen Rider in 5e. How's this?

>Monk that escaped crazy crime syndicate/cult
>Becomes an actor to find a peaceful life
>Finds out about legendary "Masked Horseman" in book
>Creates a similar costume for plays
>Goes around the town beating up criminals while wearing the costume
>In combat with human-like enemies, has to waste a turn putting on the costume to transform(hide their identity)

Every DM is different and that's just kind of the way it goes.

Horses are Large creature and can be spooked.

Seems alright to me, which monk path are you going on? Are you just wearing a medieval track suit?
Okay, so they take up more space. Is there a way to bypass them being spooked? Awakening, maybe?

I'd call for Animal Handling checks out the ass if you tried to drag your steed through a dungeon.
Leave the fucker outside.

Which ever way you want to go with it man. Maybe he was a disgraced champion and took to drinking and drug use (or whatever really) and basically let his body go to shit. So when he starts adventuring again he has to work his way back up, get in shape and all that jazz.

Well one day...one day.

Make sure it's a warhorse before even trying to take it anywhere that would spook a horse, give it blinkers to wear and guide it the entire way. If you were to fluff out those extra I'd give you a low animal handling check for taking it through a dungeon.

I was going to go way of the open hand. Also, I will just be wearing a medieval track suit. Hopefully my DM won't count that as armor and prevent me from using needed monk skills.

>medieval track suit

What? You mean like a simple shirt and trousers?

I sure am getting sour about not being able to take my animals places.

Was playing Cult of the Dragon Queen, and had gotten an elephant earlier. We go through the tunnel in that stable and come out into a swamp, and the DM says that if I try to go back and find the way back to the swamp with the elephant, then he'll sink in a la Artex from The Neverending Story.
Yeah I'm meaning to get a warhorse, but I'd be more keen on riding it rather than guiding it.
Just kinda sucks that druid's the only one that can really take its animals anywhere.
Cool stuff, good luck with that.

Missing half a bottle of vodka and a flat cap.

Maybe. Theres a bunch of good origin stories but I think I god the basic premise sorted out.

>Playing at local game shop
>games going alright until half way through our first encounter
>I throw a handaxe at a wolf using my strength modifier
>"excuse me user but I think you added the wrong stat to your attack roll. All ranged attacks use dex"
>I kindly explain to him thats not true
>DM begins o get flustered and says I'm lying/cheating
>I show him the rules on making a ranged attack
>DM gets angry and begins to yell
>Store owner asks him to leave

Why do so many people not understand when to use certain ability scores? It's all there in the book. Thrown weapons is a particular peeve of mine.

Was he autistic user? Not making fun, genuinely curious. I have ran into a fair number of autistic people while playing this game and most of which get really down right ass blasted if told they are wrong or "misinformed." I was in in a situation like your self where I showed the rolls and the guy still refused it.

Blagh, sorry, tired. I meant "yourself" and "rules."

More of an Antisocial loner whos real life plays second fiddle to his imaginary one. Possibly mildly Autistic. He seemed like a cool guy at first but the excessively in depthness of his lore started throwing off warning signs.

Basically pretty much like the people I dealt with. I had one of them kinda give me this gloaty, "I'm right and your wrong" look that you only see little kids give after he told me I can only apply Colossus slayer once per round. Wasn't even a debate too, he told me and I then looked it up and saw he was right. Yet he got this huge satisfaction from it from the looks of it.

After reading about him a bit more and his former aide, Jergal, I think Jergal might be a better fit. I'm not really an evil guy, not yet at least and I don't forsee myself going down that path. Neutral is more my pace I think.

I like the Star Chain and would allow it for any patron, though the fact that I'm playing a fortuneteller in pathfinder with a similar ability might bias me a bit.

Seems a bit odd that Astral Refuge doesn't require a short rest recharge, but I don't think it breaks anything without it.

I thought the same thing until I realized that warlocks have like no spells that target yourself.

Here's two invocations I think may be appropriate.

The first is a retooled version of the Knowledge Cleric's 1st level domain feature, replacing Nature with Investigation as a possible choice, and granting the doubled proficiency bonus only as a rider if the warlock is already proficient with the skill to keep it more in line with an invocation's mechanical power level. Plus, I expect many if not most warlocks characters who would serve a Seeker patron would already be proficient with two or more of those skills to begin with, since invocations don't come until level two and they'd have already had at least one level in the class.

For the second invocation, I took a mix of the wording and effects of the Arcane Trickster's 'Spell Thief' feature and the 'Reflective Carapace' mechanics of the Tarrasque to come up with what I think is a satisfying bot not overly powerful 15th level invocation choice.
My biggest beef with how I wrote this one is how it might be made clearer that the feature does *require* that the warlock's Shielding Aurora feature actually be available for use. I couldn't think of an example off the top of my head where a previous feature of a class is incorporated by a later possible feature along the lines of what I'm doing here. Perhaps it's alright, but I think I'm going to try and think on how to word it a bit better. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate them.

>Human subraces/variations
Always in need of these, thanks user.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B4fgrcv8-6IKaHZtbXRiOW8zQmc/view

What do you folks think about this gunslinger?

A question regarding this UA.
How do you guys feel about this sort of crossover between wizard and cleric? Both Arcana Cleric and Theurge. Are they concepts that don't need to be separate in lore? Are the mechanics both present worth the distinction, in order to give players more options?

And would you allow your players to stretch the domains allotted to Theurges, so your friendly party wizard could cast healing spells before level 10?

Pic related, a great item to use as a Star Chain.

>class
It's a stupid concept, though the mechanics could be alright.

I love them both. They're both very satisfying.

>would you allow your players to stretch the domains allotted to Theurges, so your friendly party wizard could cast healing spells before level 10?
That's a good question. I think one could justify it in some cases, but given the theurge is serving their God in the capacity of an arcane user, I don't feel in most cases it's going to be very appropriate.

Arcana cleric makes sense in fluff, Theurge does not as far as I'm concerned. The mechanics of Arcana are interesting and different from the other domains, but Theurge on the other hand is lazy and easily abusable.

>And would you allow your players to stretch the domains allotted to Theurges, so your friendly party wizard could cast healing spells before level 10?
Not sure what you mean by stretching domains, you can choose any domain, not just the three listed. I would not allow them to take cleric spells before 10 though, that's already enough.

Seeker was really cool and outside of the questionable last feature (free once per long rest rope trick, maybe I'm not seeing some use of it) and the pact boon which seemed more like an invocation, the features were interesting and flavorful.

Wasn't this UA supposed to be something that had been bugging Mearls for 30 years?

It's a good one, but I find it hard to believe he was bothered by not having a divine warlock pact or arcane tradition.

On second thought, the language of Reflecting Aurora in regard to Shielding Aurora perhaps isn't that bad. Channel Divinity uses similar language, simply saying "You can use your Channel Divinity to x". Additionally, it does say "you may use your Shielding Aurora feature as a reaction..." followed by "*and* force the creatture to make a saving throw with its spellcasting ability modifier", which I think conveys that the regular effects of the Shielding Aurora are still activated, the only change being what is required to invoke it under 'Reflective Aurora' (namely, being targeted or in the area of effect of a spell a creature has cast and that you have your reaction available).

He means that, if he learns all the spells from Arcana Domain by the time he would pick them up from Theurge, can he instead just nab Cleric spells?

For example, at level 3 the Arcana Theurge Wizard learns the Magic Weapon and Nystul's Magic Aura spells from the domain. Does this mean that at level 4, when he goes to add spells to his book, because he knows all the spells his domain would otherwise grant him, he can start nabbing Cleric spells?

If you take the strictest interpretation of RAW, it seems like yes, he can start nabbing Cleric spells at level 2, 4, 6, 8, and then 10 onward, assuming they grab the Arcana Domain spells at level 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, when he (as a Wizard) is first able to learn them.

>outside of the questionable last feature
It's a 5-minute short rest between any long rest. That's actually pretty great, especially in time-sensitive scenarios when you really *need* to rest before you keep moving yet simultaneously if you do the enemy could escape/the hostage could be killed/the ancient evil could awaken.

I had a similar "problem" when in my first 5e game my DM sort of snickered at my 10 Dex hoplite fighter. Only it wasn't really a problem because as soon as I started saying that I was using Str to throw spears he just let me do it a couple times before looking it up and apologizing like an adult.

user who posted the tarot pic here. I would actually interpret "If you add all of your domain spells to your spellbook" as requiring all of them through level 9 before you can hack away at random cleric goodies. My intention in saying "cast healing spells before level 10" was just taking Life domain.
Should a Theurge be limited to domains held by gods that maintain wizards, such as your standard Knowledge/Magic deities? Or could a Theurge crack the code of another god that they worship, and utilize Life or Nature domain? Should the god have to be willing to allow this tapping in? How might other worshippers or even clerics of this god respond?

I think it presents some nice new interactions. Healing magic as a wizard who worships a Life god, a hedge witch of Nature or even Death, or a Tempest worshipping blaster using Channel Arcana to max out ligthningbolts.

I think I might add a "while the chain is on your person" qualifier to these invocations. Maybe. Or maybe not. 'Chains of Carceri', for instance, doesn't actually require your chain familiar even be around to utilize. I think it may be more appropriate for the first invocation if someone did add that qualifier though.

I suppose, it just wasn't as interesting or flashy as the other abilities and still seems a bit weak outside of NO TIME TO EXPLAIN scenarios.

Oh I agree, as a DM if I let someone play as an Arcana Wizard Theurge they could only start grabbing Cleric spells beginning at level 10, and ONLY when they level up, because it is "divine wisdom" that lets them convert a divine spell into an arcane spell.

Some Theurge interactions that don't blend seamlessly.
>Cleric spells you learn are not considered wizard spells for you as currently written, so casting stat is only implied to be Int, and they aren't eligible for level Spell Mastery or Signature Spells
>Some Domain feature options are usable a number of times per rest based on Wis modifier
>War Domain Guided Strike for +10 to hit with Disintegrate

Well, given it's essentially Astral Refuge except affording even more time and with more people, I don't think it's less flashy than Astral Refuge itself.
I think it's on a fairly even foot with the other 14th level pact abilities. Much better for whole-party utility actually I think.

>War Domain Guided Strike for +10 to hit with Disintegrate.

It's a Dex saving throw for half damage, I don't think Guided Strike applies to that.

>War Domain Guided Strike for +10 to hit with Disintegrate

none of that works the way you think it does my friend

Yea, the "The chosen spells count as wizard spells for you" bit needs to be added.
You could change some of the domain features to function off of Int instead of Wis, but... desu it actually wouldn't be necessary. The archetype is *still* very very good with essentially any domain.

>live in Japan
>all D&D books and materials are jacked up to almost double price sometimes
>find 5th Edition books on Amazon 50% off on the English website
>buying them and paying for the $17 shipping is still cheaper than buying them from the Japanese site
>5th Edition still doesn't have a Japanese version and likely never will
Feels bad to be a D&D fan in Japan.

This does bring forth an idea though: can you go for a Cleric Domain that gives you Advantage on attack rolls, or disadvantage on saving throws, and then just basically force an opponent to eat something like Disintegrate or another "Save or Suck/Die" spell?

I'm looking through the PHB right now, and Trickster Domain can potentially give you advantage on attack rolls vs. a creature, but you have to have both yourself and the Trickster illusion be within 5 ft. of the creature.

Maybe there will be something like a Fortune/Luck Domain that can do something like a Divination Wizard's Portent and force them to take a bad d20 roll you make?

>Arcane high priest
>get Wish at 14th level

Where are you pulling this 'level 10' ruling from?
I don't see any wording in the archetype that prohibits the theurge from adding cleric domain spells to their spell lists until level 10.

Are you just meaning until they completely fill their spellbooks with the 1st through 5th available spells to their domains would you let them start adding spells from the *whole* cleric list? Because I feel strongly that such is actually the intent anyways.

Now you know how it feels to be a weeb importing animes.

>the spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots
Bruh. You gotta read better.

At least you can walk people through this edition. I had one guy rely entirely on flash cards I made for him.

DMing for the first time, running the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure for two people.

Any tips?
I am new to all of this and so are they

>download PDFs from op
>slap'em on a tablet
>now have a phb/dmg/mm/etc with a search feature

ez

Yes, I'm saying that they can't start nabbing any spell on the Cleric's spell list until they learn all their Domain spells first, and that can't happen until level 10, if they learn their Domain spells at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9.

I was referring to a more strict/literal interpretations of the rules that someone could argue, where if they take their Domain spells at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, they could then grab Cleric spells at levels 2, 4, 6, and 8 because they already know all their Domain spells available to them at that point in time.

At 14th level you get the Arcana domain 17th level.

They're added as domain spells, meaning that you'd have to swap your wizard spells at 14th and up to learn them, and only if you have the slots.

Which means that feature is actually *completely* useless for arcana theurges, since you could learn them as a wizard anyway.

>Quintessential Ranger
>See Obsessed Hunter
>We Captain Ahab now

Be sure to scale back the size or number of things they run into/fight. A party of two is very easy to overwhelm, even if they have AoE attacks or are hard to hit. Even certain monsters might have to not use their AoE spells because it could be a literal party wipe if they both fail their saves.

I think he's bitching about there not being a nippo translation more than anything.

Arcane Theurge is completely OP.

>full access to Wizard AND Cleric spell list

>Still can't cast it without the requisite level spell slot
I mean the whole draw of Theurge is getting bonus spells, but when you're spending your limited class abilities getting bonus spells from your original class with which you can already have tons of spells, you might be doing it wrong.
I don't think it's bad to encourage certain cleric studying wizards to have a passing cleric stat.
Shit, I'm an idiot. I just half-assedly recalled some Stun or Petrify into Disintegrate combo that caused them to automatically fail the save, but didn't think it through enough to realize that the entire reason that worked is because it's a save based spell.

Are there any spells worth getting +10 to hit every once in a while on?

get more people

Read. The theurge archetype.
The arcane domain's 17th level feature adds spells *to your domain list*. The theurge's Arcane Initiate requires you to *add a spell to your spellbook FROM your domain list*. It also *SPECIFIES* that you cannot add a spell to your spellbook in this fashion unless you have spell slots of equivalent level.

Bruh. Read the stuff.

I think all casters should be casting off of one modifier. I think having domain features remain functioning off of wisdom though would be perfectly fine for the encouragement you're alluding to.

>Are there any spells worth getting +10 to hit every once in a while on?
On the wizard spell? Almost none. There's very few spells dependent on attack rolls.

I concur - I think you should have to finish the whole domain list before you can just start adding anything you want.

I would make an exception for the arcane domain theurge in picking up their 14th level ability (which is the 17th level of the arcane domain clerics) in that the feature in question actually adds *more* spells to their domain list, such that it's possible if one were to be too strict that the wizard could finish the previous domain spells and be able to add from the whole cleric list to their spellbook levels 10-13, but then be locked out of cleric options again levels 14-(at least) 17 due to needed to add those new technically domain spells to their list.

>As a bonus action, +2 bonus to spells once per short rest
Dope

you are a cunt

Scorching Ray, Chromatic Orb, in theory all of the attack cantrips, Vampiric Touch, Bigby's Hand.

It only seems to be a handful of Evocation spells, the rest are all Spell Save DCs vs. some random stat.

Any theurge can have access to all wizard and cleric spells, not just arcane theurges. That being said, they can only add cleric spells from their level-up choices, so they can't *actually* learn the whole cleric list like any wizard can learn the whole wizard list eventually.

Goes up to two per short rest at 6th level, and three per at 18th too.

Are there any books like the Quintessential series? Books that expand upon the different classes for DnD 5?

Sounds more to me like a Champion Fighter with Tavern Brawler feat than a monk

>DMG says not to give wizards healing spells
>WotC gives wizards healing abilities

SCAG talks about the general role of the classes in the SC setting.

Assuming that what the general consensus interpretation appears to be is correct, they couldn't start adding every Cleric spell they want until after 9th level, and it would require half of their chosen spells to that point to be the entire domain spell list. I think it's a good way to gate it, actually. I'd probably not care to though, nearly every spell I'd want to steal is on the Life domain list.

...Hey, if this gets added in a later splatbook, the Wizard example gnome from the start of the PHB chapter can finally learn Augury RAW! Amazing.

Why?
Monks are literally all about combination striking and unarmed combat in general. A boxer is more then some uncouth bar room brawler. Its the sweet science and one of the most effective martial arts in history.

I dont think I have that

Doper

I think life domain theurges would be... not very balanced.
I don't actually plan to allow life domain theurges in my games. Spell mastery in conjunction with cure wounds does exactly one of the things WotC says not to do - make a healing cantrip.

If your party wants to do something that's not in the book, be ready to improvise. My party wanted to kidnap several goblins and convert them to their heroic cause. They now have three lifelong companions--Droop the Goblin from the Redbrand hideout, Gobby the Goblin from the Goblin hideout, and Hobby the Hobgoblin from a random encounter.

*not just life domain.
I wouldn't allow healing spells in general to a theurge. Probably not revivify or some others as well.

I had though of scaling back numbers of monsters, but I hadn't thought about the dangers of AoE spells, thanks