MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Cards that look useful but don't quite fit edition

Old RESOURCES:
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING:
>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Who is your favorite fatty? Go on, unleash your inner Timmy.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tasigur-the-aggressive-negotiator/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-08-16-brago-control/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thriller-thriller-night/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-10-15-weird-science/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/scientific-progress-goes-boink/
sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=1162017).
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anafenza-goodstuff/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have never used that card. Looking it up, I feel like it might bight me in the ass just as much. Is there some secret tech to it or something?

I actually have both those cards and forgot to include them. Good call. Is trading post worth it?

>Who is your favorite fatty?
This guy. No card better captures the feeling of summoning a demon.

The thing with Tangle Wire is you're always going to be tapping essentially 2 less permanents than your opponents, because you remove a counter before you have to tap down your stuff, and you tap Tangle Wire to itself.

Oh, I get it. That makes perfect sense, particularly if I'm running the cantrip artifacts like the other user suggested. Good call, I'll pick one up. I hope it's not expensi-

>$4.99 for a foil
Shit, why am I not running this again? Thanks user.

And Brago untaps your shit when he connects. You can keep 4 things from everyone else tapped down for as long as its on the field

He's a pretty fancy demon. Is he cost effective?

I like this one personally. Gets you a sac trigger, blows something up when he enters, and he has more toughness than power? Sign me up.

>Cycling provides double value
>Ok body when you need it
>Super great in my Jarad deck
I like him in pauper too!

Bumpin' my own post, shamelessly, to try and get some more thoughts.

I've always though this guy was the embodiment of Black's deals with fiends. He offers you back-breaking power in exchange for you handing over everything (the game) to him. But being the selfish, ambitious Black mage you are, you double cross him (sac him) to further you're own goals.

Oh, you reminded me of my favorite demon. I always felt this card embodies how I feel about black. He has overwhelmingly destructive power, but chooses to limit it just so fools who try to use it incorrectly get fucked. Him and Reaper of the Abyss are the one-two punch in my monoblack removal deck.

You're gonna draw a lot of hate, Damia isn't exactly well liked to begin with and neither are storm decks. If you really wanna go down that road, start by picking up the Judge Foil Mind's Desire instead of the ugly FTV art. Most Enernal storm decks run a discard suite to strip hate before they go off, with Damia you can abuse symmetrical discard to strip down your opponents hands befoer you go off and use the cards you pitched with Yawg Will. Null Profusion is a huge bomb and synergizes with Damia, Turnabout and the like are obviously great, if you run a ton of basics Early Harvest can be another Turnabout. You're gonna want every 1 and 2 cmc black tutor probably, as well as ever 1 and 2 cmc mana rock. being able to go Mindslicer>Find a sac outlet>Draw 7 upkeep and go off while your opponents hands are empty is huge, Syphon Mind is also probably good.

>Is he cost effective?
Haha, no, he's a massive removal magnet as soon as he comes down. Each opponent has a turn to effectively deal 6 damage and kill 4 creatures for the price of a Murder.
At least the sacrifice cost can have some utility if you have a Grave Pact or something. And if it turns out that nobody has removal, a 9/9 flample is a lot of fun.

Desecration Demon finishes in a close second. Throw him on the field, drop Archfiend the next turn, then Reaper of the Abyss the turn after, and you basically have 17 flying damage and your opponent can only have 2 creatures on the field, if they're smart. If they're dumb, they'll start sacing things to Desecration Demon, procing Reaper of the Abyss, making things a whole lot worse.

See, I wanted to use him as spicy secret tech for my Mazierk deck.

I think this dude wins for being the pure, plain Demon in aspect, function and new flavor text.

as far as flavorful demons go, I quite like Kuro, he's a big guy who you've gotta pay every turn, and if you pay a bit more he'll kill whatever you want for you.

This is my favorite demon.

>One is a Pitlord
>the other is Lord of the Pit
Let me guess it's an armpit.

>Null Profusion
That's a fuckin' sweet card! Thanks for the tips! My Damia deck gets hated on anyway, (although, less so since Prophet's bannin'), so I'm used to gettin' it when I play her.

He fits perfectly in a sacrifice deck. I have him in my Gisa zombie token swarm deck.

You can have 2 copies with recycle as well.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tasigur-the-aggressive-negotiator/

Overhauled my old list completely. Wondering: Do I have enough mana ramp? Are my redundancies too redundant? Varolz letting me use Scavenge to thin out my graveyard: yes/no? Is the Mimeoplasm going to be effective here or is he just dead weight?

>That artwork is horrible
But two copies of a card is always legit.

Not sure if that Brago player is still here but here's my list I've been working on.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-08-16-brago-control/

Ways to spend life that don't cost mana in GW?

You have enough removal to not worry about more ramp. Dankoplasm is always kinda ehhh unless he's the general imo.

Fucking unfair with Eldrazi Displacer on the field

Did you mean BrokeEyeBrokenFuck?

None. Everything either requires Black, or is banned (Channel).

There aren't any. Fastbond and Channel are both banned. White has nothing I can think of.

If you need to lower your life, you can use Jinxed Ring and some kind of infinite recursion engine, but it's a stupid idea. GW is so shit compared to GWB that it isn't even funny.

Phyrexian processor

Here you go senpai

Insatiable Souleater

I just got back from playing. I accidently decked myself while playing my Arjun deck. Had out mindmoil and alhammarret's archive with a 58 card hand and cast Laboratory Maniac without thinking. On the bright side I also had Jace's Erasure, so I made one guy mill down to 4 cards.

>>Waffa
I want her to be a planeswalker so fucking bad. Alter that shit to a waffle immediatly.

We're never going back to Jamuura, it's way too problematic.

you didnt have a time spiral or flask in your arjun?

Not a Boon list but this is my 75% Karador list.
Any glaring issues?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thriller-thriller-night/

No time spiral. What flask?

Sylvan Library lets you pay up to 8 life per turn while drawing cards. What do you want to do with it?

How so?

bleh im retarded. I mean elixer, as in elixer of immortality

>elixer of immortality
I once saw a really cool custom fullart of that card in a /wip/ thread

To all you Melek/Mizzix players: How many creatures do you guys usually run?

Melek, zero. Because you want to be able to Proteus Staff Melek and stack your deck to go off.

Mizzix, absolutely no idea. Never bothered with him because Melek is more my playstyle.

>Proteus Staff Melek

I'll happily masturbate all over the playgroup's faces if they don't believe that I'll go off. But if Proteus Staff activation resolves everyone just scoops and we move onto the next game.

>everyone just scoops and we move onto the next game.
But that's completely reasonable. You're not making this easy for me, user.

What red cards despite not being directly tied to Chandra or Jaya still feel like they are?

can't decide whether to go with this or desecration demon for anafenza

I don't get it. I get that a stacked deck is gonna win you the game, but it isn't like Melek is in play after the activatation, that's 8 mana to cast him again. And it isn't like your library is guaranteed to have all the combo pieces, given that some cards might've been exiled or discarded.

Plus, a Loaming Shaman or Chaos Warp is all that is needed to shuffle that shit back up.

I don't get why you would scoop immediately to that.

Final Fortune or Last Chance for that maverick win.
Desecration Demon is good at getting big and never attacking. Archfiend is far more useful.

That's a good idea. It also works well with a lot of the walkers. Though, I don't know how many ults directly win you the game.

Thanks.

Archfiend will be a huge target for removal. Still in terms of pure ability he's more reliable.

Is it just me or is a really slow thread?

>Is he cost effective?

no, hes pretty bad in a multiplayer game where people are running removal unless you want a really winmore sac effect in a sac dec. the creature you posted though is actually quite good in edh

Melek is put back into play, just choose to put him into your library instead of the command zone. Then he's in play and your deck is stacked.

There's not a lot of answers to it. Loaming Shaman is sorcery speed so it doesn't work, Chaos Warp is only a single card, and other than that there's Oblation and Unexpectedly Absent.

Anyway, here's my non-combo storm Melek deck if we're on the topic.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-10-15-weird-science/

Eh. The work day started.

Opinions on Magus of the Wheel and the original? I am looking at cards for a monored deck, but want to avoid too much artifacts.

He is in play because you actually put him on the bottom of the deck and then get him back out. If someone has an answer then they'll say so, and it will usually be met with a counter spell of some variety, and then everyone scoops. Or I'm an idiot and tried to combo off without protection, or got outplayed in which case the game goes on. And the game going on usually results in Melek getting blown up somehow, or I just reactivate Proteus Staff next turn and try it again.

Magus is kinda slow but he's good in a deck that can recur him reliably. Like in Feldon he's just absolutely insane. Otherwise Wheel of Fortune is better and personally I like Reforge the Soul if you're running topdeck manipulation (like Top).

Neither of those are artifacts.

What do you guys use for double sleeving?
I use kmc perfect sized sleeves for double sleeving foils and expnsive cards and Ultra Pros for the rest thouh I don't have the standard Pro-fits but ones that let you slide the card in sideways which are way better than the standard Pro-Fits.

Oh. Right. Yeah, with Melek in play, a few rituals like High Tide and Pyretic is enough.

Gotcha. I mean, you can still kill Melek at instant speed, but that's one turn.

I have Magus in Kiki-Jiki, and he's terrific. Reforge the Soul is worth 5 mana, and casting it for 2 is bananas.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/scientific-progress-goes-boink/

>Melek, Izzet Paragon
>Mizzix of the Izmagnus
>Galvanoth
>Charmbreaker Devils
>Young Pyromancer
>Talrand, Sky Summoner
>Docent of Perfection
>Filigree Sages
>Curious Homunculus
>Goblin Electromancer

The Filigree Sages are there to go infinite with Doubling Cube, so if you're not running that, the Sages aren't necessary. The Electromancer and Homunculus both serve to make instants and sorceries cheaper, and that's about it, so if those types of cards aren't your thing, you can easily cut those too.

Talrand, Pyromancer, and Docent are all there to protect me from players that go sideways and little else. Galvanoth and Devils are just value, with the latter serving as a beater when needed.

Reforge the Soul and Wheel of Fortune are both amazing, amazing cards. Magus is less so. Trying to do mono-red without abusing artifacts is going to be a hard nut to crack, I've played just about every mono-red commander and the only one that stands without artifact help is Zada, and even it benefits greatly,

>UltraPro

>scientific progress goes boink
You're a cool fucking user. I'd buy you a drink any time.

The deck I'm building honestly can't recur him at all. Reforge will be considered, but the nonmiracle cost is bleh. I get with Caged Sun or top as you said, it is no big deal, but I dunno.

I know. I meant using those cards instead of what I would normally use (Mind's Eye, Staff of Nin, etc.).

Yeah, no, that makes sense. I was being dumb.

I just bought a bunch of klms in bulk, they feel really good to the touch and make a nice seal. Thanks japan.

*Kmcs fuck its late

yup those are just eh best, no one can compare

as i said it's not the crappy standard perfect-fits which are just plain bad

>UltraPro

So do you guys double sleeve all the cards in your decks or just those special few?

Double sleeving some but not all cards is marked cards.

For my pet decks I double sleeve every card.

For other decks I only sleeve more expensive cards, mostly because a fully double sleeved deck + tokens doesn't fit in a regularly sized deckbox. My pet decks are in larger deckboxes.

That looks v fun

>marked cards
I suppose. I honestly can't tell the difference.

>larger deckboxes
Neat. What brands? Any recommendations?

I mean, it's usually fine, but it is technically marked cards. Keep doing it if no one cares, because it isn't really a problem, but it isn't exactly expensive to double-sleeve.

Its more a matter of space.

The whole deck, why would i want to protect half of my 100 card deck? If a drink gets spilled onto it somehow i dont want to have to replace any of my cards no matter how expensive they are.

Not him, but the UltraPro Satin towers are basically the only good product they make, and the best deck box for double sleeved EDH decks. 10/10 box for $10-12.

Get a nice deck box.

Great thanks

I use UltraPro Satin Towers (as mentioned by ) for most of my cheap decks. Pet decks go in medium Dex Protection boxes (not shilling but here's an example: sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=1162017).

I have a double sleeved Elesh Norn in one of my decks and it doesn't feel any different than any of the other cards because it's got one of those super snug clear sleeves you get at various FLGS. If I double sleeved a few cards, I can see your argument, but one is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Nice link.

Fuck, I forget what they're called, but I have one of these. It has a svelt dude doing a deadlift or someshit on the front. Honestly, it's perfect. Room for dice, can fit an entire double sleeved commander deck. The only reason I don't use it more often is because 3 commander decks just fit so well in a fat pack.

>forgot my image because my girlfriend was talking to me

>He's a big guy
UUUU

Oh my friend has one of those. We split a mystery box one time and used the Duel Decks that came in it to battle over contested prizes, that box was one of them

The best part is that it's magnetically sealed, so you can just toss the whole thing in a backpack without worrying about it spilling anywhere. I've left a lot of very expensive cards in there overnight in crazy canadian weather conditions and it's very well insulated. It might even be waterproof, I spilled an entire mountain dew code red in my bag one time and my cards were safe, but I wouldn't want to test it with cards in there if you don't have to.

>you don't pack spot removal
>you can't respond to the soulbond trigger

Creature (9)
1x Charmbreaker Devils
1x Disciple of the Ring
1x Dualcaster Mage
1x Goblin Electromancer
1x Guttersnipe
1x Mizzix of the Izmagnus
1x Talrand, Sky Summoner
1x Wee Dragonauts
1x Young Pyromancer
+ Melek ofc
good to see you're still around user

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anafenza-goodstuff/

Looking for Feedback on this Anafenza Goodstuff deck. Just kind of looking to win with value creatures, or pumping Anafenza up and smacking for 21 over the course of a few turns early on.

This is my first real step away from just slightly modified precon decks, so It's bound to have some issues. I probably need more boardwipes. If you see any glaring issues, or things that should be included that just aren't, let me know.

A good old fashioned "fuck off" to Ancient Grudge and friends.

No Arcanis? He might be handy

>Ainok Bond-Kin

nigga, you want archetype of courage. and where the fuck is corpsejack menace?