Pathfinder General /pfg/

If you would like assistance with character optimization, please mention which third-party sources are allowed.

Familiar Edition! What's your favorite kind of basic familiar? Favorite Improved Familiar? Favorite archetype for your familiar?

N. Jolly's vigilante book playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit?usp=sharing

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq (embed) (embed)

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Previous Thread:

First for remove the tranny filth, ban 2hu, and ban PoW!

/pol/ pls go.

>Favorite archetype

Definitely Mauler Familiar, so I can make stuff like pic related.

>Basic
Refluffed raven or thrush

>Improved
You posted it, buddy. I'm excited for the calligraphy wyrm too, though.

>Archetype
Valet.

My bone tumor greensting scorpion is cute.

CUTE!

Do Dark Messengers count? I'm having a ton of fun playing a Ravenlord right now.

>remove the tranny filth
Aw, bye Forrest

I don't know what it is, but that familiar is my favorite now.

It's a Nosoi Psychopomp.

A nostoi psychopomp. Improved familiar.

That is a nosoi! They serve as scribes to the land of the dead.

Nostoi Psychopomp

>Basic Familiar
I like birds. Birds are fucking great. In terms of in-general best birb, probably a Raven, but I love all the birds. Sometimes a cat is fine too.

>Familiar Archetype
It depends on the character, but I REALLY like Sage, with Valet a close second.

>Improved Familiar
Shit man, there's so many good ones. Lyrakiens are great fun, a Raktavarnas looks like it would be great on an asshole spellcaster, and theres at least three Fey that could be fun to have tagging along. I want to say pseudosphinxes too, but the monkey head ruins them for me.

Any PDF leaks or page scans of Horror Adventures yet?

Your odds get a lot better after thursday, but I don't expect anything for another couple weeks. Cleaning takes time.

>don't know enough about pathfinder to understand 90% of these threads
>actually in a game, can get by somewhat, full/single attacks still trip me up though
>keep coming here anyway, despite not knowing shit
why do I do this to myself, /pfg/?
I don't really even learn much by lurking.

we're like a car-crash in slow motion. It's like you're watching us fly through a windshield.

At least you actually play PF...
[Spoiler]Help me please

>your party's spellcaster wants to craft a necklace of anthropomorphic animal/alter self for his basic familiar so it can transform whenever it wants into a humanoid creature and partake in that fascinating activity known as "having opposable thumbs"
>he doesn't want to just take improved familiar for this, because he's attached to his old familiar and doesn't want to just throw his old friend away

would you let them?

How do I make fighter good without PoW? I don't personally like initiating but want to be a fighter (barbarian doesn't fit the character)

Have you tried roll20? After 2 or 3 sessions you'll never want to play again. It works wonders.

why wouldn't you?

What are you, some kinda asshole?

I want a Calligraphy Wyrm familiar!

I'd ask the group. If they were on board with the idea, I'd be all for it. If they weren't, I'd make a custom improved familiar that was just his original one but better.

Well, that depends. What's the character concept you're trying to achieve with said fighter?

What monstergirl/boy races do you want in Bloodforge 2?

M-moooodss?

None.

I want actual monsters.

You fucking child.

>! What's your favorite kind of basic familiar? Favorite Improved Familiar? Favorite archetype for your familiar?
A dead/non existent one.

Pic related.

Seriously, though, I think we're good on that kind of thing for now.

Currently building a primalist bloodrager for the Wrath of the Righteous campaign. Right now I'm planning on taking the Abyssal Bloodline for claws and Demonic Bulk at Lvl 1 and 4 respectively, however the character is going to be something of a tentative neutral good hermit, who is ashamed of his power, and looks to atone for it.

At Lvl 8 I figure I might take the Fiend Totem for goring potential, but honestly I'm not sure if its really worth it.

Another option is the celestial bloodrager, but I feel like there could be more possibility for development with this archetype.

Any ideas?

A soldery type guy, but competent.

Is there a way for any Charisma-based class to get access to Cleric Domains? I want the Nobility domain without being a class that dumps Cha.

Paladin can.

Sacred Servant Paladin gets a domain

Book 5. Wizard has invisibility and prismatic spray.

Surprise!

Something without legs, or with a shitton that isn't super high RP. I wanted a Lamia grappler, because I thought a constrictor would be pretty cool. Straight-up monsters would be really cool, honestly. Nothing fetishbait, since it's an actual book, not my fap rag.

>OP's pic isn't an obnoxious animoo pic
What is this? Am I in bizzaro Veeky Forums?

Butterfly! Dragon Magazine 323, page 98! Starts out as a Caterpillar (mouse stats), granting +3 to Disguise, and at 4th level spends a week pupating into a Butterfly or Moth (thrush stats), granting +3 to Spellcraft!

Honourable mention goes to the Liminal Sprite!

>Honourable mention goes to the Liminal Sprite!
>I will never find out if I can get around the curse by using a tent or familiar pouch

Why are there so many cool potential familiars in this game

Well, Abyssal does lend itself to natural weapon types. Primalist seems like an easy way to pick up Beast Totem, but I don't think you want to trade the level 12 power, and level 16 seems way too late for a pounce to come online anyway. So maybe pick up Fiend Totem and Animal Fury to give yourself four attacks at eight? Lunge can give you a reach of 15 feet, and with a 5-foot step, you can spank people from surprising distances (though you still need to get within that initial range, and you really won't be able to rely on your AC at all-not that barbs and bloodragers do, but you know what I mean). At level ten, you can learn Monstrous Extremities, which gives you a hoof, wing, or tentacle for an hour/level and a corresponding Secondary natural weapon, which is pretty cool. So you'd be a giant, demonic beastie who shuffles about the battlefield, savaging anyone who happens to wander into your not inconsiderable reach.

Of course, I've never actually played a bloodrager before, and odds are very good everything I just said was hot garbage, so take it with a grain of salt.

I was gonna get around the curse by turning her back into a moth at night, because I was a magical girl, but then she died and the game ended forever, instead

>bonus to Spellcraft
Please explain how this is not objectively the strongest basic familiar

+4 Initiative, dude.

Why not a flying familiar with +4 init who then involves into an imp? Wasp Familiar best Familiar.

>involved
>not evolves
Fucking autocorrect.

Related question: user, when you take improved familiar, do you flavour it as letting your familiar go and summoning a new one, or as some kind of evolution of your current one?

Fighting style? Combat role? Weapon preference? There's a lot of variation in viability outside of PoW.

So has anyone bought the Horror Book yet?

The last time I used Wasp Familiar, I flavoured it in a fucked up way. In short, my characters' Wasp Familiar killed her and evolved through that. Then, my new character was effectively a puppet of the new and improved Wasp Familiar.

I haven't used familiars much, but my Magus had a rhampynornicus to fit a pteranodon theme that was usable as a shocking grasp missile. Never got to use an improved familiar, but the ceru, cacodaemon, cynthnigot, and augur kyton all give me good feels.

I honestly want something truly horrific that doesn't stray so far from the humanoid standard that special exceptions have to be made regarding items and body slots. Things like the Trox and kasatha hit that sweet spot for me. That said, something with a really out there anatomy, like a slime or tiny Cloverfield monster, would be great, too.

Silvanshee Agathion for best magical girl mascot

I have two favourite familiars.

First is the crow, partially because I like going friendly necromancer and a carrion bird familiar is fitting. Plus, they are damn smart, can talk and are birds.

The other is the Torble, because who doesn't love little slime-bugs that glow a bit and change colour?

I'm not too versed on Improved Familiar, but Valet familiar tends to be where I go.

Base familiar I like birds. The raven because it can speak or a regulated version.

For improved I love this little guy.

I'm not familiar with the archetypes to. have a favorite.

Eat glass.

Slime, yisssss
There's some 3pp slime race, but it's 3pp so I'll literally never be able to play it.

Valet is extremely useful for an alchemist.

So someone asked in the last thread, how to calculate DPR.

user who asked that, do you still need assistance with basic arithmetic, or did you find your calculator?

wait, we're talking about 3pp. I'LL NEVER HAVE NICE THINGS!

So Vampires and Vampiric Corrupted PCs can't enter private dwellings without permission. What defines a private home/dwelling? How can such an afflicted adventurer continue his adventuring? Can they even fight an enemy who resides within a dungeon? Is a cave a home?

I'm just really confused how this would even work.

Hey does anyone have a map of the city named FreeStation? It's in The Kaava Lands.

How's this for an idea?

Fort save: Take the higher of Con or Str.

Ref save: Take the higher of Dex or Int.

Will save: Take the higher of Wis or Cha.

Why?

That's fine though you might have to adjust the save DCs of about everything to make up for it.

Sounds like 4e animu MMO bullshit!

How about psicrystals, swarms, gelatinous cubes, dragons, and vehicles for or made up of the above?

I want actually interesting races, instead of yet another
>pic related

Thrush.
>Can speak common
>Diminutive, so stealth bonuses out the wazoo
>Innocent-looking as fuck

Seems legit except for int to reflex. How the fucks that work?

Stat dumping isn't as terrible.

Yeah, true that though.

Wat?

the easiest way to deal with it would be to use the outer perimiter of a personally-owned terrain so long as it is properly demarked. Understand there's a metaphysical aspect to this; it's NOT normal or biological but any conditions able to suppress the supernatural to THAT degree (read; AMFs aren't good enough here) would be strong enough to negate a vampire's existence outright as well.

So it depends a bit on "what is someone's home"

Is bubba living in a trailer on a field? You can get all the way up the field and knock on the door.

Corporate Headquarters quite simply do not count; they are not private residences, unless there's like, a penthouse at the top. You might not be able to cross the threshold of the elevator if you pressed that last button; in fact if it opens directly into it you may either not even be able to press that button, or might get squashed by a force-wall-like-restriction as you get to the top!

Lord Belgrave of Utherbba, however, has a thick wall with a gate and guards; you can at most try to knock at the side of the open gate; the guards looking confused as fuck even after you charmed them to let you through.

>you can't get through
The fucking son of a bitch. Turns out they weren't kidding when they said he lives in his office.

>JOHNSON! I NEED THOSE PAPERS N~
>*THUD*
>"What in the FUCK?"

Does a Paladin add his Cha bonus to Will saves twice?

>I want to take away a consequence of minmaxing attributes

Every stat can be considered worthwhile.

No, three stats can be considered worthwhile. You're actually encouraging players to stat dump.

>Encouraging MAD design

Good class design should have three important stats.
Not everyone wants to play a monk.

Then suck it up if your three important stats entail having a weak saving throw, because that's part of what balances your chosen class.

>A class getting fucked over because it's poorly designed is just balance!

Fighter suddenly makes so much more sense, user!

>I'll pick the worst designed class to support my argument and ignore all the others

If that was the choice at the outset, then potentially the pally can add double his Cha.

And this is different to the current state of play how?

It'll actually be more beneficial to the martial classes.

But that's not swashbuckler, user.

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for you to explain how the martial classes finally come out ahead with the adoption of this one, single, universal rule.

Why are you responding to the bait?

Having saves be the higher of two stats can potentially help certain classes more survivable, but those spreads don't help martial characters for shit (Will is still set up on weak stats for pretty much all non-spellcasters)

At that point, you might as well make saves be decoupled from stats. Saves start and stay at the Good progression and you get a small flat bonus for being proficient.

I'm highly likely going to be taking the corruption later as I progress through the current Hell's Vengeance campaign. I'm just really worried about how much this whole invitation thing will cause trouble for me and our merry band of villains.

Fantastic. Follow up question though, is there any way to increase the effective Cleric level to the full Paladin level?

If I recall, vampire advances to the next stage of corruption when you feed on the innocent. And while I'd hesitate to call any of the scum who take up arms against the empire innocent, your GM might have other interpretations, so be sure to ask about that before you make any big decisions.

Don't know about full Paladin level, but the trait Magical Knack raises your caster level by 2 if it's less than your total HD. That brings a Paladin's CL from -3 to -1.

I'm already a Dhampir Antipaladin, so the goal was to already become a full vampire, it's just the corruptions should be a sufficiently simpler and less unbalancing way of going about it.

Each bonus carries a penalty, so the invitation penalty is attached to "vampiric agility and spider climbing". Spider Climb is self explanatory, though I'm unsure what "Vampiric Agility" will entail but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna want it, ya know?

Pretty much all the manifestations seem worth picking up besides the fangs, and the rat/wolf summon. Probably won't want the fast healing until I've got my hands on a magic item with continuous Protective Penumbra though.

How does that interact with the Paladin's spells per day progression?

Uh, pretty sure just raising caster level won't affect your effective cleric level for the purpose of domain abilities though.

Can you screen shot the info of vampire corruption? I've been waiting a 2/3 year for that.

You're correct; I misunderstood the question.

I only have what is on the Paizo forums, so general vague responses.

"You can be afflicted by being drained six times by a vampire in one month. Each week, you need to drink blood to hold off the corruption from taking over. You increase in stage when you feed on innocent sentient creatures.

The manifestations:
Boost charisma skills at the cost of your reflection. Mirrors can repel you, at least briefly.

Summon rats or a wolf, but take Handle Animal/Ride penalties against other animals.

Cast charm monster when you succeed on a charisma check at the cost of your shadow.

Growing fangs that allow you to feed easier, but require you to feed once per day instead of week.

Grant yourself some fast healing, but sunlight becomes harmful.

Gain vampiric agility and spider climbing, but you must be invited to enter a private dwelling.

Slam attack at the cost of negative energy affinity."

Bitching.

So wait, you feed to stop the corruption, and the feeding gives you abilities if it's on an innocent?
What exactly is the corruption, then? What happens if you don't feed?