Alien art

Hey Veeky Forums I'm trying to develop an Alien rich setting to play high-flying adventures in. I'm looking for inspiration for aliums. It's going to be a mix of NobelBright and Grey-grey morality, So some darker Aliums are welcome.

For now I'm looking for humanity's First allies in space, a race of hulking Fur/quill covered Bipeds that have a lot of hard angles. If you have any thing that can fit with that i'd be super grateful.

I'll dump what Aliums i have

Other urls found in this thread:

indiegogo.com/projects/tangent-realms-the-worlds-of-c-m-kosemen-art-nature#/
irregularbooks.co/download.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

love this one

Talk to me about Many!
Run... Run!

last ditch bump?

can love bloom?

oh shit, it's a puppeteer.

who are the pupateers?

That is a redesign, the originals look more like this picture.
The Pierson's Puppeteers are a creation of Larry Niven.
They are such huge cowards who fuck with other civilizations in secret so that they won't become a threat in the future.
They're already fleeing the Milky Way galaxy with 5 planets in tow because of a huge explosion of the galactic core.

haha, coolio. What do they plan on doing with those five planets? why did they only stop at five?

I like this one a lot

They are so paranoid that they have no actual territory and their entire species lives on those five worlds. They only really got into space travel once they had perfected indestructible except for antimatter hulls which they sell to other species.
I think one or two of their five planets are agricultural worlds, but the rest the rest are covered in cities. The huge populations on those planets produce enough waste heat to warm the planets without a sun.
All animal species that could be dangerous are extinct.
They caused war between the kzin and humans so that the kzin would become less warlike.
They are huge assholes and should never be trusted.
Puppeteers that are brave enough to interact in person with other species or engage in defensive instincts besides rolling up in a ball are considered insane.

Ring world is such a good book. Gotta re-read that.

The sequels are also pretty good but I haven't been able to keep up with all the spin-offs like Man-Kzin Wars, Fleet of Worlds etc.

I should get to reading ringworld and the connected stories. it seems to have some really amazing ideas and execution of those ideas.

I have not read any sequels or spin-offs yet. I should.

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

Now, seriously: look up races from Endless Space.
Pic unrelated

This one is my favourite

We got a speculative biology thread going on /an/.

an "how is this not archived" bump

op here, I have no idea how this thread has survived.

Those damn florans...

ooga booga where the plant wimmen at

What a great alien! I can only assume his entire species is as awesome as he is

>not recognizing the Great race of yith

>not getting the (admittiably bad) joke/refrence

>women
Nah m8. Flora s are unisex. They just grow boobs and feminine figures once they found out that attracts other species into their proximity without a fight where upon they kill them for their tasty flesh.

Oh jeez, I just looked at that picture more closely and noticed the sword and the hand and what she's doing. You are not kidding.

Pic related: Don't fool around with plant women!

Nice, I was considering starting one the other day but since I'm relatively new to /an/ I wasn't sure if it was ok.

Steal some creature designs from old Veeky Forums projects.

I would have loved to see these as an eventually sapient species.

Not that user, but I missed the reference.
Care to explain it?

Yith are psychic time-traveling body snatchers. The Great Race of Yith are what they looked like in the distant past and some now possess humans. They have also sent humans back in time to inhabit Yith bodies.

is this a starbound Hylotyl?

I recognized the Yithian, I didn't get 's joke.
Not too familiar with Starbound, but wasn't concept art?

both are fan art of starbound. but the game sucks, so that's the only good thing out of it.

so you're saying they're traps, gotcha.

/r/ing a pdf about humans in the future and their many evolved forms... included humans being oppressed by some alien species that turned them into different de-evolved forms.

Here you go.
There is a documentary that's trying to get funded that is about the author who goes by Memo. He also published a book about speculative dinosaur art.
indiegogo.com/projects/tangent-realms-the-worlds-of-c-m-kosemen-art-nature#/

Damn! you're a real johnny on the spot there, champ!
not that annon but this is some super solid stuff

I have been looking for this for a long time. Really appreciated my friend, going to look into that documentary now.

He's one of my favorite artists so I gotta help shill for him when I can.
irregularbooks.co/download.html
You can download a book called All Your Yesterdays which is a free addendum to All Yesterdays. It's too big to post here.
If you want more weird Spec Bio like All Tomorrows, I would recommend The New Dinosaurs and Man After Man by Dougal Dixon. Don't take them too seriously, however.

Good stuff, now I have a reason to continue to procrastinate my work.

For context, if I recall, this is a Mass Effect concept art species. The joke was gonna be they were really nice and maybe even human fanboys or something, so they would try to make themselves look more human to interact with humanity. And the further joke being they rather obviously failed at it.

Never came to fruition because they were just too creepy, I think.

Not OP but since we are on the topic of aliens, does someone have some recommendations for a Scifi novel with cool aliens and space adventures?

These guys sent some chills down my spine when I watched SGA when I was younger

Am OP; I recommend Revelation space. No aliens, but humans never developed FTL, so they are pretty fucking different in general. It gets really crazy and really cool. [spoilers]humanity starts figuring out why there are only dead cultures in their near by space[/spoiler]

This pretty solid series, a lot of novellas and short stories as well, well rounded universe and awesome spaceships. Though the "no alien" claim is more than an exageration, there are plenty of the fuckers, but they're smart and learned to be discreet

Then Blindisght for mindfucking aliens that will most certainly make you reevaluate what you consider "inventive" in that matter. The prose can be felt as pretty arid by some readers, so it might not be your taste. Still among the very best hard-SF books out there imho.

We got them every now and again.
Actually have 2 up right now.

I like to imagine them both as rednecks shooting beer cans.

Is this some sort of interpretation of the Shrike?

Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep. The prequel, A Deepness in the Sky is pretty good, but be sure to read it afterwards, because it contains a spoiler for a plot element in AFUtD.

Yes.

You have good taste OP, Birrin are great

Planning on using this fella for a Sci-fi horror setting with a large amount of them out breaking on a space station.

i had something like this in a campaign once. The parasite had taken over the body of a person and then joined up with a bunch of space pirates. It acted like a normal being but was very open about its true nature

The Uplift novels by David Brin have cool aliens and intelligent animals like the great apes and dolphins among others.

damn it man, I was trying to leave some mystery up to the other user with relavation space.

awesome.

are those things dicks? they look like dicks.

>Never came to fruition because they were just too creepy, I think.
A lot was changed and kicked for being "too alien" from mass effect.

Just finished reading through this

It's pretty damn interesting, Lots of cool ideas. I feel that the alieness of the post-humans only got truly interesting with the rise of the new ascendants, before then it was just mildly different human shapes.

Also, hwo the fuck did the squashed fucks get off of a planet with thirty fucking six times earth's gravity?

Yeah. They wanted it to be entirely relatable and they even had a "star trek type" alien required from the get go ie some monochromally colored alien species who happens to have hot babes. They seriously only added the tentacles on asari cause they needed a rubber forehead quota and they actually had male asari on the docket but slashed they so they wouldn't detract from the fapbait.

> "star trek type" alien
Ironic terminology, considering Stark Trek only did that because of budget constraints.

Its in their own words. They had a legal requirement to shove in "hot space chicks" of the "star trek type" variety. They wanted legit rubber forehead aliens who were hot. Like i said earlier they even axed the male asari to not "detract" from the space babes.

I imagine some kind of space elevator/ziggurat
They have two sets of mouth: The one that looks like a penis is actually their true mouth that is connected to their digestive system. The other mouth that looks like a beak is their actual genitalia which they also use to chew their food. So the Top head is the penis and the bottom head is the mouth.
There are also some that have a pelvic spike which they use to hump their prey to death.
Their muscles are more like bladders than fibers, as illustrated here.

I would recommend Wheelers, by Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen. Absolutely fascinating and very original xenobiology going on in that one.

That is one dapper alien.

Always wanted to run an "all human" scifi space adventure. Humanity is all alone in THIS galaxy, but after however many millions of years, the humans that went to conquer the stars did not come back the same. There will be humans as their are today, but shit tons of new guys floating around

I'd like to run a post-human sci-fi where a spaceship crew crashlands on a planet and has to survive an entire ecosystem filled with feral-post humans sort of like RIngworld with less Rishathra.

Those images are fucking nightmare fuel.