Name a chaotic neutral character done right

Name a chaotic neutral character done right.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NVW0g_mphys
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Jack Sparrow.

Just became less of a monster

>Disregard for all laws, even the ones that bind nature together
>Will try to achieve perfect evolution in his eyes, disregarding everyone else opinion
>Doesn't care about good or evil, only evolution

That sounds more like chaotic evil.

Or chaotic good.
Depends on your perspective.

Neutral is not about the means to do something.
It's the 'why'.
Neutral characters are either spineless, low intelligence or narcissistic.

...narcissistic, but not unnecessarily sadistic/cruel*

Abathur doesn't really view himself as evil, nor is he truly self-serving. It's something of an animalistic nature, but with loftier, less personal ambitions. Such is the nature of the swarm

You don't need to think you're evil to be evil.

Someone with a suicidal death wish.

This.

Granted, but this is gonna turn into one of those arbitrary (and often repeated) discussions about wherein the nature of good and evil lies (see: the subject of x% of philosophy since its inception)
Lemme put it this way: is a tapeworm evil?

Bigfoot.

This all day
"People aren't cargo mate"
No. He is neutral good. He became a pirate because he refused to ship slaves and became an enemy of the state after breaking his contract
Or something along those lines.
Neutral good all the way man.

Probably one of the best examples from video games.
>Saved the world (for the long term)?
He likes that world.

Though actually mean the books, where he actually only care himself and what is his, and only flinches when true innocents get hurt.

>>Saved the world (for the long term)?
>He likes that world.
Reminds me of this guy.
>Why are you trying to save the Galaxy?
"because I'm one of the idiots who lives in it".

Rick Sanchez has no problem with kidnapping, maiming, and killing people as long as he makes profit and is perfectly willing to destroy an entire world out of spite. Sounds pretty fucking evil, even if he has a soft spot for his family. And even then he puts them in danger for quick buck.
I mean, yes wow, one time he decided not to be a selfish prick, but that was one time.

Who?

Talking about the movies mate.
He has no true good intentions.
Everything he does he does for himself (in the end.)
He a has a few burst of good in him.
But a character wouldn't be a good character if they're completely black and white.

He tried to sell Will into slavery on the Flying Dutchman, along with a hundred other people, to save his own soul. He clearly isn't as committed to the cause of freedom as he'd like everyone to think, unless it's his own freedom.

Aw come on man, Peter Quill, Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw?

How does believing that something is going too far make him neutral good? Especially when he's known to betray his allies, murder, rape and pillage and he's basically a pathological liar. Jack Sparrow is a vain, womanizing, self serving thief who sits square in the center of the Chaotic Neutral box.

He's chaotic evil in essence. (Willing to do evil for his own gain.) But most of the time he's chaotic neutral.

>Lemme put it this way: is a tapeworm evil?
No, because it lacks the intelligence to make moral decisions, meaning that alignment distinctions don't apply to it. For the same reason, it's an inaccurate analogy.

Bigfoot the monster or Bigfoot the monster truck?

Because the former is TN.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

BIIIIIGFOOT

AND THE MUSCLE MACHIINES

THEY'RE BIGBADDIRTY ANDMEAN

in the books he dies at the end because of becoming good, no ?

No, he lived cause the games did well.

>3x3 alignment systems

Chaotic Neutral or True Neutral?

And then it is easy to make him good

Book Geralt is a fundamentally decent person. He just tries way too hard to pretend he's all neutral and uncaring.

He's already a really good guy for the witcher setting, but then again all wolf school witchers are written like that. He never does anything really evil and he goes out of his way to do good(See book one and the entire sparrow saga).

Neeshka

Set from Zelazny's "Creatures of Light and Darkness".

Most of the Karamazov brothers.

Cheradenine Zakalwe, arguably, he's capable of good and capable of profound evil, and tends to be hard to control or predict.

Gully Foyle from "The Stars My Destination".

I'm not sure I'd classify any of the Eldrazi Chaotic Neutral, because they're less like sentient beings and more like reality-modifying forces of nature.

Emmy didn't get bored, she got too many error messages since she wasn't working with a clean slate and put herself into sleep mode.

Imp.

The most excellent friend and companion of a Chaotic Evil character done right, Regent.

Titus Fucking Pullo

He clearly only joined the Legions so he could have an excuse to kill, pillage and rape. He has every vice possible at the time, and if he can't solve a problem with violence he figures what he needs is even more violence. But at the same time he's strongly loyal to the people he's fiercely loyal to the friends he cares about, he makes it a point to stay out of the backstabbing and power plays going on in Rome, and he's never needlessly cruel to his enemies. If you piss him off, he's just gonna stab you. That's tame as shit compared to what someone like Atia does.

Pillaging and raping are very evil acts, and so is killing because you want to do it.

Evil people can have friends and trusted companions that they care about.

>this is going to turn into one of those discussions
Agreed, but I do want to point out that you're understanding of the alignment system is inaccurate on account of the tape worm example.
From the 3.5 PHB:
>Animals and other creatures incapable of moral action are neutral rather than good or evil. Even deadly vipers and tigers that eat people are neutral because they lack the capability for morally right or wrong behavior

I have zero interest in continuing this conversation for the aforementioned reason, but correcting incorrect knowledge about game systems takes priority and must be corrected.

Keep in mind this is set at a time where pillage and rape was SOP for most armies, not just Rome. Sieges were long and draining ordeals, so a quick way for a general to recoup costs, restore morale, and make sure the populace stayed submissive was to let his men have free reign over a newly conquered settlement for a few hours while he and his cadre made a beeline for the local ruler and all his spoils.

In A New Hope yes, I'd say neutral good in Empire or Jedi.

The games are after he died.
It's just Ciri is stupidly powerful and handwavey bullshit that both him and Yenn are back.

Good alignments require the person to go out of their way to protect innocents. Remind me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Han doing that in the movies.

His first reaction to the ewoks was to go for his gun after all.

Goddamnit, I came here to post that.

Coming back to help luke blow up the deathstar instead of taking the money and running

Basically anybody played by Johnny Depp is a good candidate for CN, but I think Hunter Thompson is both the clearest cut example of a cohesive Chaotic Neutral archetype, not to mention the fact that he's a real person.

"Neutral people are committed to others by personal relationships. A neutral person may sacrifice himself to protect his family or even his homeland, but he would not do so for strangers who are not related to him"

>60 replies
>no conan

Shameful.

I'd say guts moves gradually from CN leaning maybe even toward CE during black swordsman over to CG.

My Nubian.

emrakul and the eldrazi are assumed to be true neutral because their motives are "beyond our comprehension"

Asura was straight up CG.

He was angry, he was mean, and he was violent, but he always acted in the defense or others or to set right what was wrong.

Hell, the man straight up denied effective godhood because he knew the man giving it was wrong.

yep

Conan the Barbarian?

Well, I was late to the thread.

You. I like you.

Yes a outstanding example

>that story Depp has about the first time he met Hunter S. Thompson

How the fuck did this Shadowrun PC survive in the real world

You're going to have to expand on the story.

youtube.com/watch?v=NVW0g_mphys

TL:DW version:

>Johnny Depp is waiting to meet Hunter S. Thompson at a bar
>Door gets kicked open
>Hunter has a Cattle Prod in his right hand and a stun gun in his left
>Swinging it wildly and screaming "GET OUT OF MY WAY, YOU BASTARDS"
>Takes Depp to his house to shoot shotguns at propane tanks

Rest in peace Hunter S. Thompson you glorious bastard.

Craziness aside, he was a fucking amazing writer, too. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is one of the shortest books I've ever read and is also one of the best

I absolutely agree, he also had an insight into culture that gave birth to a whole new take of journalism, even if not as extreme as his gonzo journalism I think it's still been assimilated into the mindset of a lot of modern journalism.

Way to completely misunderstand what he's doing in the "Before" scene.

>i'm the guy who posted Geralt
You're right user, I'm deeply sorry.

If you read "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved"(and you should because it's short and he meets Ralph Steadman) you can see the traces of madness sprouting there. Somehow in the delirium and insanity of drugs, booze and violence he found complete clarity. It was never about the drugs, it was about what you find out at the end of it.

>buy the ticket, take the ride
Drugs are the ticket. The ride is well... The American Dream.

>i'm the guy who posted
I often do agree with that statement, I would generally say that Geralt is a Chaotic good person, where he believes in good but completely despise nobles, wizards and any chain of command because he's not a fuckboy and actually uses his own brain, but to be honest unless kids and raping is involved he always thrives to care for himself and who he loves before anyone else.
Remember how he almost wouldn't care to help the travelling carovan of villagers to drive safely but then agreed because they would help him and PAY HIM in return.
That is why I love him so much, he's an extremely volatile individual when it comes to ho his feelings towards the world and you can't never know what is going to happen with him to sort extent.

Geralt was written to aspire to the spirit of polish neo-anarchist revolutionary punks, so probably.

Please tell me there exists Hunter S. Thompson audiobooks read by Johnny Depp.

He is distinctly chaotic evil.

He is personally responsible for killing and enslaving entire civilizations, often for no real reason aside from being able to.

Jan Jansen

Isn't he CE?

And he's responsible for saving just as many.

CN characters are more than capable of evil acts without being evil, remember.

The entire focus is their motivation.

Rick never acts against anyone out of sheer maliciousness. He never inflicts pain or death on someone for the sake of it.

Hell, his total lack of empathy is inspired by the concept that his or anyone else's actions ultimately mean nothing. He knows and understands that nothing he will ever do will actually achieve anything, so he alternates between being drunk as fuck and doing whatever he feels like.

He's most certainly got evil tendencies, but most of the time much of the damage he does is either unintentional or is reactionary.

>CN done right
Prove me wrong!

>CN characters are more than capable of evil acts without being evil, remember.CN

There's a certain line you can't cross without being evil though. That's usually somewhere around "Not killing people purely for fun", and that's like the least of Rick's crimes. Hell, he did that ten times over on the Purge planet.

>Rick never acts against anyone out of sheer maliciousness. He never inflicts pain or death on someone for the sake of it.

Yes. Yes he does. There's a fantastic little snippet where he pulls Morty's pants down in front of two girls at his school, and then pushes him down a flight of stairs, before reappearing at the bottom of the stairs in order to join in with the girls at laughing at him as Morty breaks down into tears. And, once again, that's like the least evil thing he's done, including enslaving a universe to power his car or ripping off someone's genitals and putting them in his mouth.

This is the guy who bullied the literal Devil until the Devil started crying, not because the Devil is evil, but because he didn't like his granddaughter thinking the devil was cooler than he was.

>Hell, his total lack of empathy is inspired by the concept that his or anyone else's actions ultimately mean nothing.

Regardless of what inspires it, it's still evil. He lack of empathy is precisely what makes him evil.

>but most of the time much of the damage he does is either unintentional or is reactionary.

Evil through negligence or apathy is still evil.

LN, m8.

bullshit, he has a good side, it's just he is extreamly jaded. It is stated that he has a strong moral code, and if he can help out, he will/.

America is always Lawful Good, m7.

I figured Brock would be more CN than Hunter, but he DID cut off his balls to escape bereaucracy, so I think Hunter might be the most CN of the cast.

>"I am not a vigilante. I am just trying to get home to my little girl's birthday. Now if everyone will just stay out of my way, then nobody will get hurt."

Fuck I didn't read the thread.

Huh, I mean if you're not trolling I have always happily recognized how incredibly progressive Andrzej's ideas were in his books for coming from of the most conservatives eastern europe countries.