Staves

>Staves
>Tomes
>Wands
>Bare Hands

What method of casting is best? And why is it bare hands?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nkbj0RtRCrg
nox.wikia.com/wiki/Gestures#Gestures
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because you can do all sorts of gestures with bare hands.
>Finger gun magic missile
>Healing thumbs up
>Summon birds by flipping the bird
The possibilities are endless!

Why best? Because bare hands show that the wizard needs no tools, trinkets or toys. They just gesture and the world hurriedly obeys them.

That said, I have a certain soft sport for swords used as foci.

Shouldn't you add "Mind" to that list for the casters that does it all in their head?
That said, it lacks a certain dramatic flair, so hands are better.

Tools are loot. You won't often find +1 bare hands in a treasure chest, and if you do, they're not easy to swap.

oh my god

next time I have a wizard in my game he is totally going to find some preserved archmage's hands in a glass jar ala futurama that'll give him a boost to his spellcasting

the problem will be figuring out how to swap 'em for his current hands

Does anyone have that pic depicting the different casting methods with hands, wands, and staves?

Staves = Wizards
Tomes = Clerics
fuck wands
Bare Hands = Sorcerers
so sayeth I

Staves concentrate the energy into a lage focal point
Tomes just give you how to recite the spell
Wands are like handheld staves
Bare hands are for hardcore motherfuckers who don't need no focal points (and is dangerous unless you wear some protection)

bare hands are for faggy sorcerers that one the genetic lottery and were born with magic
real nigga wizards use staves, tomes, and ley lines but not the gay druid kind

Staves, tomes, and wands are crutches for young wizards to lean upon while they struggle to understand the madness of the powers they wield. Proper masters of the arcane have grown beyond such things, and simply bend the universe to their will.

I dunno I kinda like tomes

Bare hands is best, only because it actually facilitates the casting of spells. Wands and staves are for discharging stored spells, and tomes are just for holding the information to cast them.

The only problem with bare-hands casting is the possibility of an accidental discharge.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nkbj0RtRCrg

They are all perfectly usable

But bare hands

Bare hands are the best

When travelling, staves are best. They form walking sticks, spell catalysts, nice general-purpose poles and can double as an effective bludgeon in an emergency.
Tomes can be disguised as normal books and can be added to fairly easily. Also, it can be used to store information other than spells and greatly aids the education of less experienced casters, as you don't have to take the time out to be with them and go through the motions of every little bit of the spell. If it's a big enough book, it can also be used as a one-time shield or to smack someone should worst come to worst. With this said, they are large and won't do you any good in an enclosed space; if it's any more ornate than a polished stick (or if you're in a situation where long hikes are outside the realm of belief), it's practically a neon sign saying "I practice magic!"
Wands aren't quite as useful to the experienced wizard as other options. They're more easily and quickly made than times, and are quite concealable, but they can't really be used to educate and only store one type of spell with few charges. The only purpose I can see for it where it outweighs the others is mass armament in times of need or utility for spells not worth devoting the time to learning; more of use to the non-practitioner than the proper wizard.
And finally, bare hands. They can't be taken away without maiming you, they tip no one off about your ability to cast spells, and you can cast magic with them at any time. However, they are a part of you; won't do you much good in emergency when someone's advancing on you with a weapon. Plus, they offer no opportunity to enchant them with magic-amplifying properties, and you're restricted only to the spells you've memorized.

Each of these options has its benefits and it's downsides, but only a fool would devote himself to one of them! A true practitioner of the arcane arts has all at his disposal.

And I just realized I fucked up.
>With this said, they are large and won't do you any good in an enclosed space; if it's any more ornate than a polished stick (or if you're in a situation where long hikes are outside the realm of belief), it's practically a neon sign saying "I practice magic!"
should be in the staff paragraph. Also, if you're using a tome outside of an area where you'd see scribes (Or ever have a wand in view), it gives off just as many "I'm a caster" signs as a staff.

Whatever commands the most authority.
>Staves for regal presence over the supernatural, like a lord

>Wands for slight and subtle mastery over complex forces, like a conductor

>Tomes for deep certainty and precision, like a judge

>Hands for when you want raw primal power, like a man in passion

Tomes are for teenage wannabes that don't know their spells by heart yet.

As a Wizard you should be able to use every single method of casting because sometimes you just need to set the mood to make the fighter believe in you more.

nox.wikia.com/wiki/Gestures#Gestures

Et Et Un

Do nigga wizards hold their tomes sideways when casting?
>DIS IZ HOW WE DO IT IN MUH GUILD MUTHAFUCKA MAGIC MIZZLE TO YOUR HIZZLE BITCH

I personally prefer settings and magic systems where tools are required to cast any spell.

Wands, staves, rings, bracelets, talismens, orbs, magic scarves, knives, instruments, jars, masks, clay tablets, and many more. These are up to the Wizards preferance.

Not only that but they have also been known to hold two tomes at once.