New planeswalker from today's story.

magic.wizards.com/en/story/planeswalkers/kaya-ghost-assassin

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/laid-rest-2016-08-03

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letsie_III_of_Lesotho
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

we wuz planewalker n sheeit

where da white mana at

Jesus Christ the pandering is more in your face than the new Ghostbusters movie.

>Descended from nobility

WE

Sheeeiiit.

>A reckless black assassin wrecking chaos to a whole plane by killing a white king

SHE DINDU NUFFIN. SHE WAS TURNING HER LIFE AROUND, HELPING NOBLE CAUSES AND WORKING PART TIME!

>"Indeed. And how shall I address you, Miss—?"

>"Kaya's fine."

>In fact, Kaya came from a noble line herself

LITERALLY WE WUZ KANGZ N SHEIT

Hahahahahaha Wizards you spineless bunch of faggots

Cue hundreds of posts about how Wizards is sticking it to all the "racist haters" as if anyone actually gives a shit.

Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger in search of the Dark Tower, is now black too you know.

Everything must pander to the minorities and females now.

Did it ever mention his skin colour in the Dark Tower? It's been too long for me to remember either way.

You mean aside from the fact he looked like Clint Eastwood and Odetta Holmes evil personal called him HONKY MA'FAH?

YEAH, SEVERAL TIMES.

I don't get why this is bad in any way, and this is coming from someone who really didn't like the way they did Theros.

He's LITERALLY described as "Clint Eastwood"

lol

More liek Niggerwalker amirite?

>kaya-ghost-assassin
The only thing she ghost-assassinates is the lock on your bike.

Beep beep! Here comes the diversity wagon!

She's the daughter of the purest bloodline of kangz

Piercings+Modern Looking SJW type clothes+smug look+afro+PURPLE LIGHTSABER DAGGERS+WEWUZ background.

It's just a combination of too much that is obvious pandering. That's why /pol/ even memes about it.

SJW clothes? It's a leather jerkin and pants. There's been a thousand rogues in D&D and D&D wannabes in the same outfit.

I liked Veeky Forums better when it had imagination instead of off-board memes.

It looks like boring urban street wear, opposed to the ridiculous magical outfits of the rest of the cast. Her hairstyle is also something very common nowadays and considered "progressive" and "empowering". If she was designed to be released last year she would have a sidecut, I'm sure.

They clearly went "let's make her very 'cosplayable', but making her look mundane looking" during meetings. Let's also add some piercings to giver her an "edgy" feel.

Wow, this was really bad...
3/10

Don't worry about him, he's just throwing around a catch-all term for literally anyone who doesn't look like the average Veeky Forums poster

>piercings

So she is cool, right?

Yeah but there is nothing about her outfit that would look remotely out of place on a D&D rogue in the past 20 years and she's basically 'Rogue: The planeswalker'.

The thing I'm more annoyed about is that it's almost certain she's going to be yet another blue planeswalker as basically only blue gets 'Sneaky shit' these days.

>tfw there's like no cosplayable men besides jace

If I remember correctly, Odetta explicitly stated that he was white.

Piercings are not a modern invention, user. It most likely pre-dates civilization. Those are not fucking "SJW clothes", what the fuck are you even talking about? "Smug look"? She's fucking smiling a little, maybe smirking, how sensitive can a pussy-ass bitch be? Did girls look at you like that when you asked them out in high school or something? What the fuck is weird with afros? It's a shit-old hairstyle, and traditionally associated with Africans, and now you're complaining that someone who in our world would be African sports it? What's even the complaint based on here? You're complaining about dumb shining magic things? For MtG art? Have you ever played MtG? "Even /pol/ memes about it," nigger fuck what, do you think that puts it in some kind of realm is seriousness as /pol/ only memes maturely about real issues or something?

>The thing I'm more annoyed about is that it's almost certain she's going to be yet another blue planeswalker as basically only blue gets 'Sneaky shit' these days.

Don't you get how diversity works? You design the most progressive character possible and then make them utterly boring.

Someone post the Twitter account of the "consultant", such blatant pandering.

Thanks. As I said: I can't honestly remember. It's been years.

>Piercings are not a modern invention, user. It most likely pre-dates civilization. Those are not fucking "SJW clothes", what the fuck are you even talking about? "Smug look"? She's fucking smiling a little, maybe smirking, how sensitive can a pussy-ass bitch be? Did girls look at you like that when you asked them out in high school or something? What the fuck is weird with afros? It's a shit-old hairstyle, and traditionally associated with Africans, and now you're complaining that someone who in our world would be African sports it?

The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, user.

... Doesn't Lil also have blue blood?

And Ajani.

Gideon was a street urchin, right?

The various parts being 'The assassin isn't dressed up like an explosion in a paint factory and looks vaguely African'?

Yeah but Lil wasn't black so it's ok and doesn't let people use their meme.

...except she is black. Eh, anyway, not the black we are talking about.

Lol u sound like a cuck haha kek kek kek kek :^)

>Smug purple-bladed spunky African chick with a smug look and afro sporting piercings with a backstory about being noble and good
>From a plane that's supposed to be Renaissance Leonardo-tier Italy

No way, she's definitely black. She's a fucking assassin.

Based on =/= is. The sooner we understand this the better.

I'm pretty sure you are jumping at shadows mate.

That and planes are not supposed to be literally given cultures/times from real life history.

She's also not really Good. Noble, yes but her title is literally 'Assassin' and she's basically a genocidal ghost racist.

I'm guessing Blue/Black myself. They make a big deal about her being impossible to stop due to her phasing trick and that's basically 'Blue Rogues' in a nutshell.

if based on =/= is then i hope kaladesh, based on india, has as many whites as european planes have diverse characters

equality and all that

Have you not noticed Chandra, the iconic red planeswalker?

The one FROM Kaladesh?

She's white.

How many white people did you see on Tarkir?

Face it, it's only European-based planes that are problematic. Look at the number of dark-skinned characters on Shadows over Innistrad versus Innistrad.

>Everybody freaking out about SJW and pandering.
>I'm over here busting a gut that the new planeswalker shares a name with a local food spread.

If you guys have the chance, it is a very delicious thing, especially with toast and butter.

That shit is awesome, and I'm not even from Singapore

She has that, "Y'all Niggaz be craz-ay." look...

Im glad WotC is being progressive by giving us a strong female black stereotype.
Can they just have fun with it? Release another Unhinged or Unglued set, but with a 70's Blackspoitation theme?
I want to cast my "Ah hel Naw!" counterspell.

well there's chandra and her dad at the very least

There were actually a few cards with white people in the art. I think you're grasping at straw

She looks like the main character of Three Parts Dead.

Awesome.

That would never happen. Hasbro would never let them even touch on that. They'd be panned and profits would tank.

After all, Un-sets don't sell very well as they are not playable in magic proper.

>That and planes are not supposed to be literally given cultures/times from real life history.

Is this why planes inspired by non-white cultures (like Egypt and Greece) are devoid of white characters, but planes inspired by white cultures have numerous examples of diverse characters?

Have we had an Egypt set yet?

youre an asshole

>No Fun Allowed

Oh no, a spunky and nice character for the Jacetice League? Modern MtG is ruined, I tell you.

>WotC loves to pander to SJWs and has an open progressive agenda
>They make their big important super-league built around a white man

>Sorin was killed off for this

Money > Politics, user.

>literally female SJW Ghostbuster

When did meme magic got here?

>Conspiracy
"WEA WAZ KANGZ N SHIET"

>Kaladesh
"Allahu Ackbar Mohammed Ackmed"

So what's the spring set gonna give us guys?

Pretty much this . In time Wizards will do the Marvel shift, and have all their important character female, since "enfranchised nerds will still buy out shit anyway", to appeal to the female market beyond girlfriends and the 15% actual female player base.

The winds of change are fickle, user.

Daxos of Meletis is at best 'Tanned'. He's pretty white.

The guys in Akroan Hoplite are super pale.

Observant Alseid is very white.

It was more because they wanted Idris Elba than they wanted a black man (but a few studio suits probably got a half-chub at the thought of checking those boxes).

What's going to happen in cinema when Idris finally retires or kicks the bucket?

He's like, 90% of the "good" black actor scene.

To late to retcon her obviously. Back in 06/07 nobody cared if they were white.

Now they are doing everything they can to be diverse. If there was a way to make Chandra east Indian and have it make sense. They would.

Anyway to contract her to go after Jace?

Considering we knew nothing about kaladesh till Origins... you're full of shit.

They're a sneaky black career criminal who's great at breaking into places.
Wow. So progressive.

Honestly that's one of those cases where I don't care.
Idris is a fucking great actor and it really doesn't matter that much in the story.

As I said, the people who create these characters typically focus on checking off the diversity boxes without realizing the character they're designing is shit or a flagrant stereotype.

So:

>Kaladesh better have white characters or it's racist
>The single most important character from Kaladesh is white
>Yeah but that doesn't count because they'd have totally have made her not white if they could.

>Honestly that's one of those cases where I don't care.

Wait, so you'd care if it *wasn't* Idris Elba?

Yeah. I can't think of too many actors that would do the job better, regardless of race. He's likely going to be great.

People of color were once indeed monarchs

No, he's saying that he doesn't care what race the actor is.

Context, it's important.

No shit. Wizards didn't need to be progressive in 2006.

Characters were white males and it worked because that's the target demo.

Now there's more females and non whites than ever. All because liberal PC shit.

If they could redo Chandra now they would.

they ARE monarchs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letsie_III_of_Lesotho

So is there literally ever going to be a point where the user would get upset at a white character being replaced with a black one?

Please, give me a scenario where they should be upset. Because the "it doesn't matter what race the actor is" is a statement that can apply to *literally every character out there.*

And it has been applied to literally every character out there, going by Black Lancelot and the clamoring for a black James Bond. Where's the line? What's the character that "needs" to be white?

I'd say if it's a case where the race is very important to the character and his motivations. Like if you'd made Iago black in Othello (Outside the production where they deliberately made everyone EXCEPT Othello black and thus kept the themes going fine)

>ghost hunting black girl descended from nobility noted for not standing on ceremony
>I immediately think of some kind of louisianna style "noble"
>this entire thread and all of its "WE WUZ" bs
I want /pol/ to go and stay go.

>I'd say if it's a case where the race is very important to the character and his motivations.

There is literally not a single white character where their whiteness counts in media.

Often, the only thing that counts is their ethnicity and nationality, and since we've got black British or Muslim Germans, there's literally zero excuse to say a German character can't be gay or an Arthurian legend can't be black.

>a
the thing is I see a lot more /pol/ on this board from magic players than anyone else.

Magic players confirmed tha/tg/uys?

Well, James Bond has been played by scots and brits and england has a pretty non-zero black population. There isn't really any reason why a modern British superspy couldn't be a black british citizen.

Black Lancelot is a bit weirder when they could use one of the existing Arthurian knights that was Arabic or Black. Seriously, if they'd known Japan existed at the time they'd have added a Samurai to the round table to show how literally everyone wanted to be part of it.

Nice strawman dude.

Came here to see how fast this was posted

Wasn't disappointed

>There is literally not a single white character where their whiteness counts in media.

That counts for black too. 99% of the time when people say 'Black' they are talking about African Americans. It's not like Black Lives Matter is protesting the horribly high death rates of Aboriginal Australians in police custody.

>I immediately think of some kind of louisianna style "noble"

You seem to speaking as if that idea isn't equally bad/prejudiced.

My dad is a 67-year-old, blue-collar white guy, born and raised in Iowa, who's lived in Texas most of his life. He's pretty much at critical mass for 'average white American'. He was very excited when I told him about Elba and McConaughey being cast.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with how they'll treat the setting in general, based on promotional pictures they've released. We also know that the story is taking some very broad departures from the original from those.
But then again, because the nature of the story, we could simply consider it another circuit around the great wheel, part of a progression of 'true endings'.

Total digression: I was lucky enough to be able to read through the Dark Tower though my dad's collection of first editions he started buying as they came out, when he was in college. It felt poetic and powerful as all hell in the context of the story.
His copy of the Gunslinger was dry and aged yellow and smelled like old tobacco. It was all sort of perfect.

So the answer is none?

Literally any European literary character can be given blackface or even turned into a woman?

>That counts for black too. 99% of the time when people say 'Black' they are talking about African Americans.

Good luck explaining to the media or society in general why you need to turn a black character into a white one.

You can make white characters black, you can *not* make black characters white.

He's not dead lad, he's just had a rocky day

>an Arthurian legend can't be black.
Historical accuracy, you flaming retard.
Black people were really fucking rare in england at that time if some legendary character was black we woulds know about it.

>So the answer is none?

I literally mentioned having an issue with Lancelot when they have actually mentioned as black knights of the round table they could use.

>Having a certain political point of view makes you thatguy.
Looks like we just found thatguy.

>You can make white characters black, you can *not* make black characters white.

They did a production a while ago when they made Othello white. It got rave reviews for throwing a new spin on the old story.

You said it was weird, you didn't say you have an issue.

I don't think Historical Accuracy is really a hill to die on with Aurthurian stories. They are about as consistent across tellings as a random number generator.

That and 'Princes of Babylon' are also pretty rare in england but one of them was a knight of the round table.

I'm the sweet planeswaler sistah with attitude that's gonna send you packing to your homeplane

And given that Kaladesh is basically steam punk India setting tapping into the Era where the UK Empire owned that shit, not having the plane be cosmopolitian would be weird.

Sure, WotC is purposely using settings that support multi-ethnic populations, but why the fuck not?