Mutants and Masterminds general, I guess

Mutants and Masterminds general, I guess.

I've never played this game and I'm trying to wrap my head around the rules. In the cost for Enhanced Ability it says 'same as base trait' - but would that mean it costs 2 points per rank in the same way traits do or would it cost 5 points per rank if I have a 5 in said trait already?

Also how do I determine power level limits

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/026war1l4oo42/Mutants_and_Masterminds#026war1l4oo42
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump. Came to Veeky Forums to make a thread about exactly this.

What is the most fun power level to play at? The rules suggest PL 10 for beginners.

PL 10 is a good place to start, the book doesn't lie.

>Enhanced Ability
Yep, the cost is the same for whichever trait or ability you're trying to increase. So Enhanced Strength +5 costs 10 points, and you add 5 ranks to your Strength.

>Power Level Limits
There are limits based on power level for attack, defense, and skill bonuses. It's in the book.

Its a small world afterall.
Thank you!

Anybody got any decent hero ideas going on? Pic related is mine.

For all your hero needs

I'd probably make something like cyborg. Not necessarily cyborg, per se, more like someone who struggles with becoming more powerful because it means that there's less of him left. Unclear whether it's him or a machine that think's its him. Plus he can't hide who and what he is. Pretty interesting story all things considered.

So would this mean that, going by "power cost = ((base effects + extras - flaws) * rank) + flat", enhanced strength +5 with no flaws or extras would cost 50 points?
10 + 0 - 0 = 10 x 5 = 50 is the logic that's making me think that.
this power armors gonna be expensive as hell...

>tfw you are gonna be playing a skelly martial artist who uses his arm bones to beat criminals down

Feels good man

What? No, dude, it's 2 points per ability point. It's 10 points.

Ok, so, just to clarify - I don't need to worry about this then?

The cost of enhanced strenght is 2 PPs per rank. How the hell did you get to 50?

That's the formula. You didn't do it right.

Base Effect Cost = 2
No Extras or Flaws
Five Ranks
No Flat Modifiers.

(2+0-0)x5+0 = 10

By being bad at math, probly.

if ET +5 has a base cost of 10 points (because its 5 ranks), don't you need to multiply that ten point cost by 5 ranks?

Ok wow, yeah, I am a dumbass. Thank you anons, I think I get it now.

Maybe I should stick to D&D.

How do I even start statting this glorious motherfucker?

I am completely fucking lost.

What's the purpose of taking Enhanced Trait rather than just buying up the trait? I suppose if the Power was a Device and therefore removeable that would make sense.

Also I'm joining a Mutants & Masterminds game soon, and my character is based off of Reaper from Overwatch but with more skeleton puns and less edge. How can I build this guy at PL10?

Perhaps to separate your superpower strength from your natural strength, if you have a Complication: 'Loses Powers Near Kryptonite!' sort of thing.

>What's the purpose of taking Enhanced Trait rather than just buying up the trait?
Flavor mostly but by taking it as a power you treat it like a power
So power dampeners, Rogue like power absorbers and a host of other maguffins can take away your powers
A stat is more your natural ability that barring character or species specific weaknesses can't be reduced

Or at least that's how I do it

Why less edge? It's actually what makes him funny, knowing it's an old-ass man behind the mask.

I just built a character for a One Piece setting game as a thought exercise. She's a samurai woman with three legendary items: badass armor, a badass bow, and a naginata that ate the horse-horse fruit.

It's pretty fucking retardedly abusive, considering how it relies on a ton of alternates and devices.

1/3

Easily Removable is a fucking joke with how broken it can get, in terms of bang for your buck.

2/3

And I took two of them. Ideas on how to make this character sheet not get me slapped by a DM?

3/3

I almost DMed this, but then one of my shitty players made an invulnerable (Without using the invulnerable power) character and ruined everything.

You can veto character sheets, you know.

not him, but it's hard for DMs who haven't run a system before to recognize what's too good to run. Like if the guy had just taken "invulnerable" then that's obvious, but if he is mechanically invulnerable that can be hard to see.

You can also make an Enhanced Trait Sustained duration, rather than the normal Permanent duration at no added cost--and Sustained effects can be used as the base of a power array.

For example, say you have a power armor that gives you Sustained duration Enhanced Strength 10. For a point, you can add an Alternate Effect, say, Ranged Damage 10. Thematically, it means that normally your armor gives you super-strength, but maybe you can instead re-channel your armor's energies into ranged energy blasts, or something.

Keep in mind, however, that Sustained Traits must be sustained with a free action each turn, and can only be switched to Alternate Effects once a round. So you couldn't, for instance, hold a building over your head with one hand and shoot a blast of energy at an enemy with the other. Also, if any effect renders you unable to take a free action during your turn (usually being stunned will do it) you instantly lose your sustained Enhanced Strength.

Protip: be wary of any character with Dimension Travel or Time Travel, never allow them to have both.

That was exactly the problem. He was playing a Captain America type character with perfect parrying. Technically not invulnerable but still literally cannot be affected by anything that wouldn't wipe the party.
I banned that one too, don't worry.

Ah, I see.

I would give a arm or leg this game regularly with a group but RL groups only like Fantasy PnP games and finding a online game that last is like finding a needle a haystack.

mediafire.com/folder/026war1l4oo42/Mutants_and_Masterminds#026war1l4oo42

Follow that link and look in the 2E section for a book called Warriors&Warlocks it is a fantasy supplement for the game you can also find a conversion guide so it would be relatively easy to port to 3E

does anyone have the new hero high book

"Chainsaw: A tool that sometimes sees use as a weapon,
particularly against zombies and other slasher-flick monsters.
Unlike most melee weapons, chainsaw damage is
not Strength-based."

Would it be possible to turn a Chainsaw into a device that DOES have strength-based damage? With Strike or Damage, maybe?

Just make it strength based Damage Device and call it a chainsaw
The equipment version of the chainsaw might not be strength based but if it's a device it's whatever you want it to be

Personally, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. If you can come up with some non-game-mechanical reason (i.e. a thematic or flavor/RP reason) for it, all the better.
Generally, you want the mechanics to fit your ideas for a character (or device in this case), rather than ideas fitting the mechanics. But, if you can explain it at least vaguely and your GM is okay with it, then why not? Rule of cool is in effect

>Also I'm joining a Mutants & Masterminds game soon, and my character is based off of Reaper from Overwatch but with more skeleton puns and less edge. How can I build this guy at PL10?

Teleport should speak for itself, although if you want to stay true to the Overwatch mechanics you'll probably take some Flaws, such as Increased Action

Possibly a Reactive Healing or a Source-based Regeneration power triggered by killing someone or being in the presence of death

A Removable Ranged Damage effect for the shotguns

Other than that it's just skills and stats to taste

>That was exactly the problem. He was playing a Captain America type character with perfect parrying. Technically not invulnerable but still literally cannot be affected by anything that wouldn't wipe the party.

Wait, you had to ban a literal example skill from a source book?

>Perfect Defense
Your mastery of combat technique is so great that when
you choose to go on the defensive, you are virtually un-touchable. You either parry and slip around close attacks, or nimbly dodge and evade ranged attacks. Doing so takes virtually all your concentration, however; you’re limited to move and free actions while using your Perfect Defense, and it does not protect you from attacks that do not target you in the ways you are trained to avoid, so things like area and perception ranged attacks still affect you normally. You must also be able to defend yourself: If you are vulnerable or defenseless, your Perfect Defense does not work, either.

Step it the fuck up senpai.

Tried that one more time. There's mechanical wonkiness due to it being impossible to actually make the spear full blown transform into a horse, but... I suppose this is a quick and dirty way to make it work.

>Comprehend: Comprehend 1 (All)

So the horse understands anything anyone is saying ever?

>the perfect parry is fucked by anyone succeeding in a feint against the guy

Step it up fampai

It's kind of a trope in One Piece, that animals can understand what you're saying.

>what is AoE

That's not unbalanced at all!

Then again, was there any episode where anyone spoke anything else than common?

Outside of the ancient writings, no.(And they still can't read).

Now I feel like I should work on the OP campaign that I never really got to. What PL would be good for starting out at a level to Luffy at the start of his journey?

When in doubt, use PL 10

Starting out Straw Hats? PL 8. PL 10 by Crocodile, PL 11 by Enel, PL 12 by Enies Lobby, and then on from there.

Fair enough. More onto that theme, in One Piece and many other medias people often come up with new moves when they're desperately cornered (Zoro cutting steel when he's almost dead), is there a good way to represent new moves like that in the heat of battle? Maybe this is already covered in the Stunts (I think they're called that), but I dont have the book to check right now.

Variable, for sure.

This could work. You could give each character a variable power explained as (Luck) that they can add to any other of their powers for the duration of the scene when things get really ugly.

Well, a Zoro example would be like, Variable (Descriptor: Katana Techniques, Limited: Only When Injured)

Yeah, for example.

A luffy one would probably be Enhanced Toughness limited: when badly injured. So he can stay in the fight for longer.
Also known as plot armor.

Hell, I was musing about giving him Immunity: Death, Dying, Incapacited (Limited: When My Nakama Are Counting On Me!)

That's still plot armor

Yeah, but it's also not subjected to the PL cap.

Tekkai is Immunity: Affects targeting Toughness (Limited: Half Effect)

If Tekkai is that, I can't wait to hear how you justify Haki armor

I haven't seen any Haki yet, lol.

What do you mean? You know about the existance of Haki, right?

I'm quite sure both Tekkai and Armament Haki would only provide Protection and Tekkai also requires you to take no other action (as far as it has been used in the series). Armanent Haki would also include nullification for the Logia user's ability to avoid taking damage by turning into their element.

I've heard of it, but no, it hasn't been explained yet where I'm at in the show.

I mean, it's basically proof you've reached true badassdom, innit? So, to be expected of a PL 14+ character.

No spoilers pls

Yeah. Perhaps Impervious Toughness.

Nullify (Logia immunity)

Easy

Why are you posting in this thread if you are not up to date. Get to it and watch/read the series right now, user!

Impervious Toughness sounds good for Armament Haki and Tekkai.

Seriously, user. Get up to date already. One Piece is the shit.

Tekkai gives only a quarter toughness and impervious toughness that Haki gives, because Haki is that much stronger.

>One Piece is shit

FIFY

No, but seriously. There's much better anime out there, no time for that one.

I'm watching it right now. Just finishing the Water City 7 arc and moving into New World.

>much better anime than OP.
What kind of Magical Girl stuff do you watch?

Let's start with the most obvious

Is still haven't finished that, either.

I personally didn't enjoy Cowboy Bebop as much as I've enjoyed OP.

Haven't seen either of these.

I'd put FMA on the same level as OP. I've only read the manga though.

>endless boat meme.

You should just leave a simple list so I can save this stuff. You seem to have good taste after all, user. But I have still not enjoyed any of these series like I've enjoyed OP.

>Doesn't know that they got off the boat

Also check out Vinland Saga and Kingdom. Both are great

Yeah, agreeing with That's the only one you've listed on the level of One Piece.

Cool stuff. I've actually read up to date, but things feel pretty slow right now.

The best anime I've seen lately is undoubtedly Parasyte the maxim. After watching Kabaneri that stuff was just.. Perfection in comparison.

If you like Parasyte, you should read Tokyo Ghoul

>FMA is the only one on par with OP
>implying the others are sub-par

I thought you had to be at least 18 to post on this board

Cowboy Bebop and Trigun were good, but not fucking amazing.

And OnePiece is above average at best

>opinions
Inb4 muh objective whatever.

For some more on-topic stuff. How would you combine Nullify with Armament Haki when it is used in a) fists, b) melee weapons and c) ranged weapons. It seems like it would be quite a mess to work out if it should work with all three groups of items at-will. Also, I don't think the Nullification ever fails, would it be an opposite thing that the Logia users have a (Limited: Not on Haki attacks) for their "defense" instead, perhaps?

Power Loss complication related to Logia fruits, maybe.

I just realized that Haki can also be used to Nullify resistances of other fruit types.
It would only be partialy power loss. I'm pretty sure Haki would only ignore the defensive parts of the fruit users. I haven't seen Haki users being able to disable fruit powers entirely after all. Though that reminds me that fruits would have complications on their own, like waist-deep water and seastone removing all fruit abilities.

Yep. See the sheet I did earlier, I did Power Loss/Weakness for Sea & Sea-Stone. Auto-helpless when submerged.

I feel like statting up Usopp. I want to give him Fearless (when it's time, he never runs), but also give him Complication: Total Coward.

That sounds logical. Compulsory (Bad) Liar would also be a good complication for him.

Shit tier Usopp build, delivered. I couldn't figure out how to justify him having great saves, but he has wildcard potential and is a great sniper. Did him at PL8, so, more of a 'just starting out' Usopp.

Also Safe Fall, because it seems like every time he falls a ridiculous height, he lands on his head and survives it.

And yes, that is Speed limited to 'Only when fleeing'.

Looks good! Now do the rest!

I wouldn't even know where to begin with Nico Robin and there's already Luffy builds on the net.

Not him, but basically you just like shounen stuff then.
Though ironically FMA is about deconstructing how shounen works and focusing much more on the character's ability to plan and plot around each other rather then give them new abilities because of Yamato-damashii excuses.

In fact, aside from Al nobody at ALL just spontaneously develops new powers when it's time for them to get a wholly arbitrary power up or skill (arbitrary because despite this the next villain will still be superior or their equal, usually superior and thus nothing really changes), and they're forced to rely on what they've had since the beginning. Then again since it's basically shounen as written by a woman who didn't even grow up in Tokyo like 90% of all mangaka perhaps we're just seeing a different perspective on the genre for once.

Please, tell me more about what I like. I'm eager to know.

Do you think Reaper would count as undead for the purpose of not having a Stamina score and immunities? I debated giving him no Stamina, but immunity to Fortitude effects and life support. But that's a huge point sink, and if it wouldn't fit the character it's be good to get rid of.

He's still affected by the Sleep Dart, which probably is a Fortitude effect. He isn't really undead, he's constantly being deconstructed and rebuilt, isn't he?

I think he's a nanite swarm in a roughly human shape or something.

It's not really clear.

What is it to be human, anyways?

It's not like you can't break away from the source material anyways. I'd just drop the idea of him being immune to Fortitude Effects and Life Support, but that's me.

Kabaneri was just stereotypical. Not like Parasyte was any better at the very end though.

Is there a difference between Strike and Damage?

Say I build a flaming sword device with the flaming part as activation. It has a permanent 'strike 3, slashing' and an activated 1 'damage 3, fire'. Would this be correct? Also, would I have to re-activate it every time I want to hit a guy with fire?

Power Stunt
spend a hero point to pull a move/power out of your ass
As long as it's believable and fits the character you're fine

That's 40 points freed up then. Maybe I can invest in Immortality and have it so he can respawn. I've already got his shotguns and his teleport statted, plus Regeneration. I like the idea of giving Regen a flaw that only lets him Regen by feeding on souls/blood or something, too.