Dead

>BBEG puts a death curse on you before he dies
>The only way to destroy the curse is to sacrifice your teammates and lots of other souls
>Makes up some pseudo-intellectual death philosophy/cult to gather followers
>Starts to fuck shit up
>This is the plot for your next run

Let's get Edgy.jpg

>BBEG puts death curse on me before he dies
>Kill myself
>Curse is fulfilled
>Cleric bro resurrects me
>Continue being a fucking baller

I'd imagine that the curse would prevent resurrection or reincarnation

>BBEG puts a death curse on you before he dies
>doesnt realize I've been trying to die for hundreds of years
>I win if the curse actually works
>I go to the next "BBEG" if it doesnt
no need to kill all those other people

>Remove Curse

Fucking done

Why would it do that? the very phrase death curse implies it kills you. Once you're dead it stops working, because it very well can't kill you again.

Now an Infinite Death Curse might do that, but apparently we're dealing with a chucklefuck nobody of a BBEG who doesn't know what he's doing.

The spell would probably need a wish or something to remove for it to be a plot point fit the main narrative of a game

Could be like the void in a deck of many things

Generally speaking, someone powerful enough to defy gods would probably have something a bit worse up his sleeve than just killing you.

>"Remove curse can remove all curses on an object or a creature. If the target is a creature, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against the DC of each curse affecting the target. Success means that the curse is removed."

>Remove Curse can remove ALL curses

Is it a curse? Then Remove Curse removes it.

I know you're being edgy and whatnot, but we had something similar happen to us in an actual campaign.

>Rob dragon
>Dragon lobs curse at one of our characters
>She starts dying a slow, wasting death.
>Tries to get out of it by becoming a lich.
>Does not actually know, in character, the necessary spells/rituals to become a lich.
>BBEG does.
>Offers her the way out in return for her lowering the wards on our manor/fortress.
>Most of the party gets wiped out, and she uses the deaths to power her undeadification ritual.
>Character gets retired into an NPC and we wind up facing her in a later campaign, and it felt very, very good to smash her into dust.

Why didn't she just cast remove curse?

what if it's not dnd?

What if it is? Honestly OP's post didn't give a whole lot of information on that type of thing.

>not knowing what BBEG means
>using it wrong

Just don't use it if you don't understand it.

well regardless of whether it is or not, it's pretty uncreative to just say "I cast remove curse" over and over, and for some reason I don't think that's the point of the thread

It's a simple and efficient solution to the current problem. Why wouldn't you use it?

because it might not be dnd

It might also totally be D&D.

Euryale: The card's medusa-like visage curses you. You take a -2 penalty on saving throws while cursed in this way. Only a god or the magic of The Fates card can end this curse.

it might also not, and since there are so many games with death curses that aren't dnd, I think one mention of dnd style remove curse is enough

They could be referring to the Pathfinder version of Remove Curse. Or maybe the GURPS version of Remove Curse. Or a spell in Fate that has the aspect of Remove Curse.

In almost every system with curses or curse-like magic, there is almost assuredly a convenient way to remove them via a single spell.

I suppose you're right, but what if the DM makes it so that the spell doesnt work because the BBEG is a fuckboy whose magic would get dispelled by some random cleric? I don't see why they would curse one of your characters and make a big deal about it if could

There's examples of curses or things that are basically curses that can only be healed with wish or limited wish even if you're going by 3.5 or whatever

>is
isn't, wew

That's a dick move and the GM should've considered all the possibilities of his plot device getting quashed before implementing it.

It's like giving the players a lighter and saying they can't light a torch with it because "IT'S A SPESHUL TORCH REEEEEEE!"

Don't give your players tools for a specific thing and then say that said tool does not work on that specific thing because of bullshit reasons.

do you only play games RAW? you sound like a tremendous rules lawyer

>I cut the magic rope with a knife
>try as you might, you can't cut the magic rope with the knife
>what the fuck is this bullshit? why would you let me have a knife if I can't cut a rope with it, you're a terrible DM

I do not like my choices being invalidated via arbitrary fiat.

Since when is this a bad thing?

you must not play many tabletop RPGs then, or many videogames
it's for the story, and if the DM says you're too weak to break the spell with your magic, your magic is too weak to break the spell

I can see there's no arguing with you people.

Why is Remove Curse there in the first place if the GM is just going to give you the finger and go "lawl no muh story."? It's stupid when it happens in video games, and it's stupid when it happens in tabletop.

to remove the lesser curses that arent part of the story
OP said "the only way", yet you try to get around it by assuming things and then by trying to force your own way, he didnt say it's dnd, he didn't say its gurps, he didnt say it was anything, he only said "the only way", implying that your way wouldn't work

Remove curse doesn't work if the curse is too powerful.
>If the target is a creature, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against the DC of each curse affecting the target

Why is it in there? To remove less powerful curses.

Similarly, the heal spell does not bring dead people back to full hitpoints, because they're dead. If they're not dead, heal works great.