Warhammer 40k General

Making Sense of Chaos Edition

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Welcome back, brother.

Dying game in some areas, dead game everywhere else.

a year from now this game will have lost so many players, a new edition wont be enough to save it

If he's writing crunch, I'm ok with this.

why is 40k ying now when just two months ago everything was fine? nothing has changed since then.

I'm a returning player, and a lot of the shit I'm seeing is making me question playing.

Supposedly he's only writing fluff, which is sort of a mixed blessing.
If he'd only/also did crunch it'd be great.

Can't speak for everybody else, but the flyer book made me realize how bloated and unwieldy the game had become.

>everything is fine

The report showed a significant drop in kit sales. Profit down a few million pounds, and revenue from licensing increased drastically. 2 + 2 = they sold a lot fewer kits than they had in previous years.

Anecdote: I live in a big metro area in the western US. Three years ago 40k dominated the TT community here. Today? You're hard pressed to see a single game of 40k per week amongst the 2 flgs' here. I dont visit the GW often, but this past weekend I stopped in, and it was all AoS both days.

So when you add anecdotals, GW's report, and common sense together, you can deduce that 40k is experiencing shrinkage in the playerbase. I myself played a few games last week, 2 of the 3 were ridiculously stupid and one sided. Not fun at all. For a game to flourish, it needs to be fun. 40k is the opposite of fun for many of us.

>opposite of fun

That's kinda how I feel coming back, right now. I played my first game since like 5th on Sunday against my friend's eldar. He is also a returning player, and not a particularly good at that. There was no new cheese, he only had one serpent, and a bunch of dudes on foot. Even then, it was pretty obvious after the first round that I had no chance to win the game, not even a little.

If I had to play against actual shit like Wraithknights or Riptides or what ever, I honestly don't know what I would've done.

does anyone has any suggestion for a convertion IG officer with a kink for admech stuff like agumentations and so on?

(especially minis to use as a base and then throw in all bits i can find)

also steampunk bits.

>People actually miss 5th edition Chaos Space Marines and their generic lesser daemons.

I'd recommend a skitarii body for a base

going to cause some REEEE, but all it took for me to realize just how awful the current state of 40k really is was just 2 intro games of AoS with a friend. still painting the 40k stuff I have, and will probably add some new deathwatch stuff because I'm heavily inquisition themed, but I play more AoS than 40k these days.

Anyone know if there's a set of Maelstrom objectives usable for apocalypse?

How are Orks (or Orruks or whatever) in AoS? I like the Ironjaw models.

How are Wood Elves? I loved playing fantasy before the change, but I'm the only one in my group who did. I'll never be able to break their 40k hold.

To be honest, I can't bring myself to like AoS. The models are cool and all, but they're just not for me, y'know? I'm also not interested in the fluff for it either.

Also, Sigmarines look stupid.

Say I wanted to start Space Marines, and wanted to use ALL the drop pods. Like, dropping my entire army in inside drop pods, steel rain style, is that doable? Is it doable without looking like a WAAC-faggot?

ironjawz are mean as fuck, and probably the strongest overall destruction faction (beastclaws are mean, but suffer from low modelcount and the resulting focus fire)

the start collecting box they have is decent, but most of the players I've run into locally run mostly burtes over ardboyz, and weirdnob shamans over warchanters, so if its actually a decent pickup is debatable.

Ironjaws are generally a slow meatgrinder. Each model is a fairly nasty beatstick that can take some abuse, but actually catching the opponent will be an issue. They also have the best infantry brawler in the game as well as some very simple but useful support.
Bonesplitter tribes (i.e. savage orcs) are cheap as chips and unarmored, but have 2 wounds apiece, which makes them pretty durable. Also, great anti-monster tech and shenanigans.
Regular orcs are as they always were, a horde of fairly competent melee dudes. They don't have their own 'codex' yet, so they'll probably change in the future.

wood elves are decent, more or less the same or slightly better in some cases from what I've heard, the ability to work with other elf factions if you want can be helpful for plugging holes (or get sylvaneth)

I was much the same, then I dug into it a little and whatever team is working on it now is trying really hard to fill out the lore to make it more interesting/engaging and give a decent platform for each faction besides stormcast to be cool. I play order myself and you can entirely sidestep stormcasts and ignore them if you want to.

overall the fluff will improve over time as they're still actively recovering it from kirby's fuckup.

's cool, can't be for everyone.

Also, non-gold stormcast look way better, and conversions with bretonnian helmets even more so.

I'm not big on allying in general, but that sounds like how WE have always been.

Yes
All you have to do is not min max your guns and units. Take full squads. You can easily add a flyer formation because it fits the theme and would provide anti-elite and anti-tank firepower.

Or combo the drop pods with teleporting terminators. The pods drop in to clear the DZ, termies arrive next turn off locators on the pods. You can even put teleport homers on the squad sargents.

It's very easy to play 40k in a casual yet effective way. What's hard is not decending into min maxing netlistting faggotry.

doable? yes, and on turn one with full retard mode raven guard using talon and some support elements to buff your reserve rolls.

without being waac? hard to say, most armies can't deal with that much alpha strike, so it depends on what you're equipping the tacticals with and what your support selections are.

common build for it is talon strike force consisting of: battle demi company, skyhammer orbital (NOT the same as skyhammer annihilation), and 1st company task force of 3x sternguard in pods.

depending on selection and points values being played you can hit 10+ pods. the pods aren't free, but if you have the correct support they've got a 5/6 chance to show up turn 1. (and half come auto)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't an army that starts entirely in reserve mean that the player instantly loses at the start of turn one?

Guys I have a question.

Haven't really gotten started but how do I pick an army when I want literally all of them.
Tau got sweet mechs and laser guns.
Necrons got terminators and lightning and shit.
Mehring got HUEG GUNS and power amor.
IG throw themselves heroically against untold space horrors with tanks.
Admech shoot radiation and look like posthuman monstrosities (a plus).
Orks are metal as fuck.
Though to be honest the Eldar just seem like assholes (though, I've never liked the Elf archetype).

Seriously. What do. The fluff. THE FLUFF. Mostly just collecting to get into modelling but even then. It's like a grimdark-loving nerd's wet dream.

just hide a single landspeeder behind something, even if it gets destroyed the lose condition is "game turn" not "player turn" and all your stuff will come on during your first "player turn"

Do you want to win? Get Eldar, Tau, or Marines.

Pick the one that appeals to you most. Otherwise I'd recommend going with imperial stuff because you can always do allies with other imperial stuff in the future.

Tau are by far the strongest of the ones you seem to like, to the point where they are widely despised. They are followed by marines who are also super bullshit strong if you do one of about three army lists, and just okay if you do something else.

Necrons and guard are both just okay, pretty balanced etc.

Orks are bad. If you pick orks then you will always fucking lose all the time, even in casual games.

Don't know shit about admech.

Greenwing, Deldar, or GK?

Not Deldar. Too fragile and weak.

Rank the primarchs' fighting power, from a scale of one to Angron.

>Eidolon: maybe we shouldn't charge head on into heavy gunfire...
>Angron: REEEEEEE IMMA PRIMMARK DONT TAWK TO ME IMMMA KILL U REEEEEEEREEEEEEEE

Was he literally autistic? No wonder he needed Kharn the Tard Wrangler to keep him in check

its actually if they have nothing on the board at the end of their turn, iirc

To be fair, everyone Eidolon talked to thought about killing him, with the exception of Fulgrim.

...he didn't object to the advice. He objected to the giving of it by an inferior, speaking out of turn. Which he clearly and articulately explained.

To be fair, his brain was being continually destroyed by the Nails, and Big E was autistic enough to pointlessly make Angron hate him from day one.

The game is a bloated clusterfuck, and balance-wise probably the worst it's ever been. Shit just isn't fun.

Also i assume you don't play at a GW store. Believe it or not AoS has taken over, as with a points system the game is actually great.

Take that with salt, but it's true

>JUS' SHOVE THE NEXT BOYZ UP FRUNT!
Ork casualties are taken from the back of the squad for shooting attacks

>Shouta Boyz
15 point upgrade. The volume of the Shouta boy'z WAAAGH causes the enemy to drop their guns. Overwatch may not be fired at the charging unit.

Did I fix them?

Horus was the strongest out of all the Primarchs and most likely had to be restrained from murdering Angron after the Isstvan 3 fiasco. You know what Angron said when it was all over?
>It is well done!
>Well done!
Angron refused to have his Nails removed.

If you want to win, Greenwing with Lion's Blade. None of them are any match for the top tier armies though.

Yeah, true, but it was still a funny scene. I love me some Sillyhammer.

How's this? Dreadnoughts and command squad to deal with big nasties and vehicles, and the four tacticals to take objectives and deal with everything else. Which pods I send in first depends on target selection.

Chapter Tactics
Ultramarines

HQ (105pts)
Chaplain (105pts) (Goes with Command Squad in their pod)

Combi-melta, Melta Bombs

Elites (550pts)

Command Squad (230pts)
Apothecary
Drop Pod
Storm Bolter
2x Veteran
Melta Bombs, Meltagun, Storm Shield
2x Veteran
Melta Bombs, Power Axe

Venerable Dreadnought(160pts)
Multi-melta
Power Fist
Drop Pod

Venerable Dreadnought (160pts)
Multi-melta
Power Fist
Drop Pod

Troops (840pts)
4x Tactical Squad (210pts)
Plasma Gun, 9x Space Marines
Drop Pod
Veteran Sergeant
Combi-plasma

1495 points

oh no user it was bad; but there were tricks. lash of submission was probably a major reason why chaos got a bad book. unlimited chaos spawn could catch someone off guard

I've only just finished book 3(rip Tarik, I loved that guy), which book is this in?

posting nids faq for posterity

Book 1 of Forgeworld's Horus Heresy campaign books.

>rip Tarik, I loved that guy
Same here. Tarik is love.
>which book is this in?
FW book actually.

>nice auction for a hades drill+squad all well painted
>that amerifat of a seller does not offer international shipping

You still can't have Raveners arrive via Trygon tunnel though, even though it's fluffy.

Because they are not Infantry, but beasts. they should change it to allow beasts and swarms.

Though my lgs just says fuck that and i do it anyway

last ruling specifically contradicts a main rulebook faq ruling that units that can deepstrike and respawn and deepstrike after respawning, so sporefields are useless now, yay

What formations/detachments can we abuse now that summoned/spawned units are part of the detachment that spawned them

>units that respawn and can deepstrike can deepstrike after respawning*

If librarians from a librarius conclave summon daemons, they can then borrow powers from those daemons. Not sure if this is useful though because I've never messed with daemons, played with/against them or even looked at their stats.

aw never mind, they can only borrow powers from librarians. Not other psykers.

Yeah I was browsing the various psyker formations that come to mind and all of them are pretty well worded to avoid abuse with summoned units. I think the best we get is Ob Sec summoned stuff.

I know my daemonic incursion is much more powerful with this update, now that my summoned horrors get the +1 witchfire strength and benefit from the locus aura

Here's one that may be amusing: Infernal tetrad's warlord trait sharing applies to all *models* in the formation

oh wow, glad i sold off my spore field nud list months ago

This is definitely not WAAC. No grav, no centurions, dreadnoughts that are expensive and easy to destroy, overpriced command squad, full tac squads with plasma guns. Solid list for fun games, it might even be fun to play against. Just don't try it in a tournament.

>summon a squad of plague bearers
>get ten mastery level 1 Tzeentch magic using Nurgle Daemons
Bueno.

Just.
As.
Planned.

Haha get fuked u stopid Mudslime breeder

>Necrons and guard are both just okay
What are you smoking, Necrons and up there with Eldar and Guard are only just better than Orks.

>Guard are only just better than Orks.
>this is what guard players actually believe

Can't play at all? I like their, well everything, but especially their fliers. They've always been fragile,, it they made up for it with alpha. What's different?

I was looking at Lion's Blade. Is that possible in 1k points? Until people get caught up, that seems to be the target points.

Also, Sisters + GK is an option, too. I'm trying to expand past the same metal models I've been looking at for 12 years now.

Middle tier codex fags have a tendency to go "I can't handle Marines/Eldar/Daemons/Tau? I'm Ork-tier."

Should I not invest in 40k? Every report seems to be that the game is dying.

I've noticed in some fluff the author has a chapter throwing seemingly unlimited numbers of Dreadnoughts at their problems to solve them at times.
Is there actually a chapter/legion that has enough Dreadnoughts to throw them at everything like that and treat them as expendable?

>replying to an user who thinks Tau are the strongest army

Don't bother correcting that eldarfag troll. He knows Tau are worse than Eldar, SM, Necrons and daemons. He just can't handle the new crap the Tau have access to because he has no imagination.

"40K is dying" is the oldest meme in the universe. 40K was dying when I started playing 20 years ago.

Well it is nice to finally have some clarity on how Tyrannocyte shooting works. Hopefully GW will add this to its rules section if they ever update nids

the problem is that before there was still some ability for players to balance the game for percieved imbalances. now we have reached the point where fixes are only achieved by fandexing ENTIRE codecies. if that doesn't show the depth of the problem I don't know what does.

Nah, I'm pretty sure a bare bones lions blade is at least 1200 points. Things tend to be less cheesy at 1k points as long as you don't play giant-robot-based Tau or Eldar. Pick what you want for greenwing but emphasize drop pods with melta and bikers with grav.

Sisters + GK would be very tough to play, and with sisters you'll be stuck using those 12 year old metal models.

Fun list to play and play against was the goal, so that sounds great.

look for yourlocal community ask them.

Same here. And just when I was hoping they'd simplify the game ...

But the question isn't whether 40k has good rules. The question is whether it's dying or not. People still play M:TG even though it's pay to win. People still play chess even though white always has a massive advantage.

It actually makes the tyrannocyte way more versatile since you can fire each gun independently if enemy models are set up right

that rules imbalance has caused the number of players in my local area to drop by 2/3, and at the local GW sigmar is exploding with many of those players switching over. anecdotal but take it as you will.

Good idea.

Anyone from the north alabama area know how good the 40k scene is around here?

Eldar getting template D weapons for 55 points is still pretty cheesy, mechanical robots or no.

t. Eldar player

White's advantage is far smaller than playing a top tier codex against a bottom tier in any edition of 40k.

Oh no

Sure, though the trade off is the possibility of less dakka. I rarely care about who/what it shoots with 5 S4 AP5 Pinning large blasts, so the "changes" doesn't really cause concern for me

end of turn 1. up to half of your drop pods auto come down turn 1.

we saw proof it is not better without him. Why bother?

Sales have been dropping for years. The rules have been in a pretty steady state of decline for editions. "40k dying" is more than a meme.

I'm looking at it, and I don't see how 1200 is minimum. It's actually very easy for 1000 points.

How should I kit my Devs? I like the idea of double grab in a Rhino.

Question about Pods and Lions Blade. Are they part of the scoring unit? Like, do my pods need to be cleared if they land close enough to an objective?

and rome lasted for 507 years. if gw dies who is gonna step up as the next king of the table top games? warmachine? i wouldn't mind malifaux getting bigger

So I am going to be starting Dark Eldar as my first army.
My LGS will sell me two Start Collectings for $150 which seems like my best deal to start.
Already been reading the rulebook and have the codex downloaded though I may pick up a hard copy.
Is the start collecting box worth it to get two of or should I get one and a venom with Incubi?
I have heard scourges are necesary as well which is alright because they look cool enough but is there an alternative to Incubi for my character to be in a squad with?
Mandrakes look pretty cool.

X-wing. Unfortunately, because it has a very limited hobby side to it.

Games Workshop is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with money from the Golden Age of Tabletops. They are the Carrion Lords of wargaming for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day so that their shareholders may never truly die.Yet even in his deathless state, Games Workshop continues its eternal vigilance. Mighty legions of lawyers cross the polluted miasma of the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean, the only routes between distant lands, their sacred mission to enforce the I.P. of their God. Vast armies give battle in Their name in uncounted courtrooms. Greatest amongst Their enemies is the Mouse, owner of a thousand copyrights. Their other enemies are legion; chinamen from hong kong, chinamen from beijing, chinamen from all corners of china, to name but a few. For all their multitudes, they are enough to slowly sink the every mighty Games Workshop. To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold thousands, each with a unique suffering. It is to live in the most arbitrary rules system ever developed, to look longingly at the FATAL rules and wish that you could play a game so well designed. These are the tales of those times. Forget the concept of balance and fun, for so much has been pushed beyond all reasonableness, only to be forgotten when the next concept is pushed. Forget the promise of good lore and cool fluff, for in the grim dark future there is only Ward. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of starvation and pennypinching, and the laughter of thirsting corporate executives.