MTG Legacy General

I haven't seen one of these around in a while and I like to discuss my favorite format.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.mtgprice.com/2016/07/05/an-interview-with-the-man-behind-the-buyouts/
youtube.com/watch?v=SvseDNbzPtM
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-08-15-pox-rack/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Playin
UB Tezzeret
>Building
Nothing atm
>Hating
Hymn decks, always hits the perfect 2 cards

Nigga, you just posted my favorite card art. I like you. Also, I play ANT. Thinking of building D&T.

I would very much to buy into legacy and I am looking in particular at Enchantress.

How shit is is exactly (I know it's not super competitive) and how expensive would it be, assuming I have 4 enchantresses?

Are Goblin Guides 100% required for monored burn?

It can get pricey. Moat's not essential, but Sanctums, Duals/Fetches and so on can really add up.

I enjoy it because I like toolbox lists.

I've gone consistently 3-1 at my LGS on Legacy night with D&T. Love how it's got so many flex slots to deal with other decks. Only consistently lose to one of the other D&T players who has the best luck I've ever seen.

How big a figure we talking...
>3 Serra's Sanctum
Oh. How would you recommend to build a more budgety version? I have G/W fetches but am obviously not going to buy duals or, after the recent spike, Sanctums.

Yes

holy shit I never realised they spiked that fucking high.

I paid around 25 quid per, and my usual shop's wanting 99 quid each.

Any reason behind this?

I suppose you could run it sans-Sanctums, they're really just for Luminarch Ascension/Emrakul/etc.

A cheaper option for a control deck (albeit monowhite) could be Parfait, but then you'd lose the Enchantress side of things...

Market buyout. Speculators can buy a relatively small amount of cards online and cause prices to skyrocket.

This is the deck that i've been playing forever.

Main
1x Badlands
1x Bayou
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Brainstorm
4x Burning Wish
3x Cabal Therapy
4x Dark Ritual
3x Doomsday
4x Duress
4x Gitaxian Probe
1x Ideas Unbound
1x Island
1x Laboratory Maniac
4x Lion's Eye Diamond
3x Lotus Petal
1x Misty Rainforest
4x Polluted Delta
4x Ponder
1x Rain of Filth
4x Sensei's Divining Top
1x Swamp
2x Underground Sea
1x Volcanic Island

Sideboard
3x Abrupt Decay
1x Cabal Therapy
1x Doomsday
1x Empty the Warrens
1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1x Infernal Contract
1x Massacre
1x Shelldock Isle
1x Tendrils of Agony
1x Tropical Island
3x Xantid Swarm

Recently moved from 17 lands, 1 Decay main to 16 lands, 3 lotus petal because testing suggested that the best way to beat certain bad matchups game 1 was with empty the warrens, and I can still side up to 17 lands post board.

Correction: a single speculator can buy out all of the cards online and ruin the game for literally everyone else.

blog.mtgprice.com/2016/07/05/an-interview-with-the-man-behind-the-buyouts/

Most lists I've seen are around $1500-2000
I suppose If you drop duals and sanctums you could probably get a list around the $800-1000 range

Thanks. I realized the other day that I have pretty much everything a burn deck requires except those.

I don't see how the game can be seen a serious investment when all it takes is one neet buying a few dozen cards to wreck the economy.

Any miracles players around here that have any sweet non-mainstream tech? I don't have much either than a 5-9/15 black sideboard

I thought you really don't want to run duals in this deck. Most of the time it's all about enchanting basic lands to get that ridiculous mana needed (dodging wasteland). But yeah.... Before sanctum buyout this deck wasn't that expensive, but it's mostly not worth the money to buy anymore.

It's not that bad of a deck in my opinion. It just has issue against combos.

WHAT?! A completely playable version cost under 200€ over half a year ago.

>foiled invasion basics

This user has fantastic taste in lands.

Buy them, they're not gonna get reprinted.
MaRo pretty much said in his latest podcast that they will eventually remove the older sets from Modern, that they are closing out Commander products as a way to create fun new cards for Vintage/Legacy without having to go through Standard and that their goal is having people play formats that rotate as much as possible.

Ruhaan
Worst case: dicard to FoW
Best case: 4cmc 7/7

I'd never play a rotating format.

Yeah, idk what MaRo thinks he's doing. I'm too much of a pedantic autist to change my deck every few months, I like finding a deck and commiting to it, then I foil it out and such. Buying new cards that often is way too much.

>youtube.com/watch?v=SvseDNbzPtM
Here you go, user
>B-but is too dark
No problem, urza's saga had the widest color variation on printing

I see. I will probably just sell my enchantresses then - there's no way I'd be able to dish out a 1500 bucks on it. Or should I? Maybe some """"investor"""" faggot buys them out eventually or something. Christ. And I really like the card.

What's a good card for a SB in miracles against lands and NicFit?

Mine too MUDblood!
I play D&T, here's to you!

Dude, this deck is completely functional without moat and savannah, which drops the price by what? 1000$? Fetch, serra's sanctum and karakas are the only must have lands imo.

Elephant grass and Solitary confinement are already good enough, so no need for moat. You want to enchant basic lands anyway, so duals are not needed. Rest of the cards are not really that expensive besides few lands.

>What's a good card for a SB in miracles against lands and NicFit?
Blood Moon usually destroys Lands. Submerge is pretty good at buying you time.

Can you think of anything that isn't in red, submerge is a good idea but I don't play red with my miracles

>Yeah, idk what MaRo thinks he's doing.
He's being an old jew.
Yeah yeah /pol/ whatever. Most stereotypes are true to a t and old jews tend to favor sinking the ship for the sake of more sheckels NOW! even if it means they won't have a source of sheckels tomorrow.

He used to be the voice of reason for the game's sustainability but if he's in the "only limited sales matter" boat with the rest of the actionists now, Magic will be going down a couple notches, if not the whole way into bankrupcy, in a couple years.

>if not the whole way into bankrupcy
Meanwhile they make bigger sales than ever, you dingus.

RiP or surgical against lands?

Nice, thanks that'll probably help

Back to Basics is always a good choice if you're UW

I think that's probably my best bet, I'm Esper miracles actually if that drums up another idea, I have "the abyss" that works double time for lands and omnitell/ sneak and show

How is The Abyss good against Lands?

How expensive is the average DnT deck to build, I already have the scrub lands and a single karakas

What does that do against Lands

They sac merit lage on their turn

Nvm, I just looked up the card on the wiki , me and the fucking JUDGE I've been playing with thought it was sac target creature... welp fuck

Pretty fucking expensive. Over a grand at least?

>wiki
Meant gatherer. Either way well fuck... still works on emrakul though so it's still fine and all reanimator targets, I think

I've got a pretty solid trade binder so I'm not too worried unless it's over 3 grand

Then go ahead. Rishadan ports are the hard ones to find, but other than that it shouldn't be too bad. After all, beside lands the vial is only seriously expensive card..... Well, along with the sword.

Its mono white, the money is 4 port 3 karakas 4 vial

Up until 2nd quarter last year.
They've been downtrending since.

>tfw never able to play Legacy because of speculators

At least Pauper is mostly free of the Jew.

From memory:
>4 Karakas $400
>4 Wasteland $200
>3 Karakas $240
>4 Aether Vial $240
>4? Thalia $40
>4 Stoneforge $80
>1 Batterskull $15
>1-2 Jitte $40-80
>0-1 SoFaI $0-60
>4 Mom $12
>4 Flickerwisp $12
>4 StP $12
>12 other cards collectively worth $10 at most
Little over $1,350

Plus whatever sideboard you need for your given meta.

Building Sneak Show
I have 3 Ancient Tombs, 2 Volcanics, 4 Sneak/Shows, 1 Force, 1 Emrakul, 2 Blood Moon and the blue commons.

Christ the City of Traitors are expensive....i don't think I'm going to buy Tarns. Anyone else feel like Zendikar fetches will be reprinted in the next year or so?

Try buying Oubliette.

I have mine luckily, I hopped on the train early enough to avoid that shit and get mine for a few bucks each.

Why has Lure of Prey jumped 2000% in price? Who bought it out? It's now at $20.

you can probably get away with just the 4th Tomb, and any blue dual will work for your fetches.

What's the labman pile you build without the unearth/mental note combo?

it doubly doesn't work against inkwell leviathion

They might make more money now forcing people into rotating formats, but eventually this will kill both the game and the company. The game stayed alive for 20 years because passionate people opened LGS, dragged new players to the shops, organized tournaments. If you kill their favorite formats they will stop supporting you.

Damn, this card got severely worse since I actually looked up the rules.

It's just not good enough anymore, sadly. Too few creature decks for it to be worth it. It's still sort of ok against delver if you get it out, but YP shits on it, so that's kind of a crap shoot.

It used to be good against stuff like Jund where they have few creatures out at a time, but decks that have that game plan are few and far between these days. Even D&T and Maverick have mom to stop the abyss.

It's still good vs creature decks, I play 1 in the sideboard of UB Tezzeret, having the potential to play it turn 2 off Sol Land+Signet/Talisman is really powerful. In conjunction with Chalice on 1 it makes RUG/BUG delver a pretty easy match post board. Most delver decks don't even have a way to remove it after it hits.

I'm playing miracles though, at 4 mana I'd rather do a lot if other shit as opposed to playing a slow enchantment. It's still good against sneak and show where I get to slam it into play for free

yeah, whoops. Read up the reply chain jsut now. Against Lands RiP is probably your best bet, for NicFit RiP is also good, since they have so much recursion, but they just have so many toolbox creatures that beating it with a control deck seems really hard. Cursed Totem stops stuff like Scooze, Pridemage, Deathrite and Qasali though, and might be worth considering. The biggest problem is answering their enchantments like Nightmare and Deed though, and doing it without devoting your entire sb to one matchup. Hibernation might be worth considering, hits most of their creatures which are green and makes them replay Deed. Alternatively you could abuse their desire to ramp hard with Veteran and play 'Geddon. If you can get a Top and then Armageddon you can almost guarantee that you'll be able to recover before them, especially since they've pulled lands out of their deck and have less left.

Mind, this is all hypothetical, I have 0 experience playing Miracles, thought I would just weigh in though. Armageddon seems good on Miracles though, if you can get top balance into 'geddon you force them into playing 1-2 cmc spells that are easy to counter.

NicFit is slightly favoured but I want my match up to be a little better cuz I only have 4 guys to play with and 1 guys mainly uses nicfit, I was thinking of trying out massacre to see if that would be good because it could be okay against elves as well

The first karakas is meant to be Port, but this is mostly right. Mom is down to a buck, and you can get the equipment package way cheaper than that. It comes out to around $1000 if you shop smart.

>How expensive is the average DnT deck to build
$1500ish

Should I finish collecting my mono-black Reanimator if I have nobody to play with? To my knowledge nobody plays legacy in my town.
But I always wanted to own a Reanimator, Burn or a Pox deck. I already have a Graveborn deck and a playset of Reanimate, I would need to buy 3 Entombs, Jin, Elesh Norn, Iona, 3 Cabal Therapies and some other cheaper cards.
Maybe I should throw together a Burn deck to play against Reanimator? Kinda like a duel deck set, but I doubt it would be a fun matchup.

Honestly? Just sell your cards to buy into format you can actually can play. If you just want to play with some buddies a game or two, just proxy your things. No need to own actual cards.

Yeah I fucked up there.

True but those cards are not terribly expensive so I though might as well pick them up now. Maybe I will be able to play legacy sometime. I don't really see WotC reprinting Entombs and other cards very soon

Entomb was in EMA.
And Burn vs Reanimator will be worse than Divine vs Demonic. Turn 1 Iona is a common thing even without blue.

Personally, I'd buy Burn and another deck that has a Modern version, like Merfolk, Affinity, Elves or Pox/8Rack. That way you have two decks to have fun with each other in Legacy, and can actually use the cards in local Modern tournaments while your local community warms up to Legacy or you move somewhere else.

Sounds like a plan, I will look into Modern Pox and Elves

Ideas unbound, LED, Probe, SDT, Labman is the basic form. With a cantrip in hand it needs uuu1 and 3+ life post-doomsday to win immediately. If the cantrip in hand is a probe, it needs UU1 and 5+ life.

There's no Modern Pox because all good Pox tech is pre-modern. Modern's equivalent to Pox is 8Rack but it's still serviceable since there is a Legacy version of 8Rack and both are good against their format's resient control deck (Nahiri/Miracles).

I've personally top 8/4d many 5 rounders with this list
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-08-15-pox-rack/

What's the most "No fear" deck in the format? I just switched to DnT because forgoing stack interaction seems extremely ballsy.

Belcher

Belcher is for Pussies. Manaless Dredge ftw

Might as well play All Spells to get the worst of both worlds.

>less consistent version of dredge for the poorfags

Real men play Four Horsemen

Go back to bed suika, you don't even have mtg in gensokyo.

Go for it man. I'm doing the same with storm. It's just for me, like building a model.

And I didn't have any smug frog pictures in my folder

Good to know I'm not alone lol. I'm definitely going to get some Reanimator fatties for Modern. And keep an eye out for Entombs while I try to collect fetches and shocklands for something.

I was under the impression that Affinity is bad in Legacy?

It is, but it's still a deck. It can win games. But it kind of blows. If you want to play an artifact based deck in legacy, tezz or mud are better choices.

Zendikar fetches are being reprinted
By chinamen

D&T reporting in. New thalia is really really good.
Almost a straight upgrade from Mirran Crusader.

Oops! All Spells

ignoring the Shockland, how else do I improve this?

I've not touched the list in years.

My Pox deck c:. Swapped the sinkholes for Pernicious deed

i think the mainboard is the same, you mind want to look for updated wishboard targets. btw get the shockland foil

Get a russian foil Stomping ground.

Swap manamorphose for gitaxian probe

Only run Manamorphose if you run Tendrils and/or cheeky non-green/red tech like Telemin Performance in your wishboard, otherwise

1 Expedition Stomping Ground/Taiga so you don't lose the games where Lands gives you 1 life with Grove and swings once with Marit Lage for example
4 Lotus Petal
4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
4 Chrome Mox
4 Goblin Charbelcher
4 Land Grant
4 Tinder Wall
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Rite of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Seething Song
4 Burning Wish
3 Empty the Warrens
4 Gitaxian Probe

Some people bitch about the 4 Moxen which don't net mana by themselves, but they're essential for the draws when you have Belcher and are 1 mana short from activating it the same turn and fighting through Thorns and Chalices for 1. The difference between having 1 and 2 mana to start with the next turn after you've landed a Belcher is huge, and the additional percentages will win you games.

Get the EMA Belchers for the shit-eating grin art.

DnT player here. Strongly disagree.

New Thalia offers disruption after that disruption is relevant. She's only good in draws where you have both a vial and ports + wastelands, whereas Crusader straight beats BUG decks and wins any game where he connects with equipment. I tried her and was underwhelmed.

I've been maindecking 4 Exquisite Firecrafts in Burn and I'm liking it. I'm eating Miracles for breakfast.

Not the guy you were responding to but I'm not wholly convinced she doesn't have place in the deck. Perhaps allocated to tell sideboard? Or do you think she has a better place in certain metas

Interesting you say that, I was having trouble with it until I started playing a bit of graveyard hate post board so I disable spell mastery early game and attempt to beat down with monastery mentors and snapcasters it's been giving me a bit better ratio but it's still something I REALLY don't want to see