DM Puzzle thread

>tl;dr user can't get past dm's barrier nonsense.

I've been stuck the past few sessions in a Bleach game while we're in a training session due to the nature of the DM's I would say puzzle. The basic set up is that my character is a Fullbringer, a species type that can manipulate the soul of objects to bend and alter to their will, ie. making water float into their mouth or making ground rubbery to soften impact. I've gotten most of the way there but this last step has been sending me for a doozy. Essentially my character was thrown in a pit that was about forty feet deep, and every ten feet was a different barrier. The first barrier was a nullification, making me have to find a way to get up past 10' without powers. The second was a rejection barrier, knocking me back to the ground on contact. The solution was creating a bubble around myself and pass through that way. The third was electrified, requiring two bubbles to split the load, one electrically conductive, the other non-conductive (the latter inside the former). The final barrier is one I can't figure out however. It seems to break anything that touches it on contact. Try and punch it? It breaks your arm, throw a shoe at it the shoe exploads, try and use bubbles and they all pop. Nothing I've tried has worked and we go again tomorrow. The only thing I can say with certainty is that punching harder isn't the answer, one of the major antagonists had been in here for seven years apparently and punched it non stop and couldn't make it through, and shes OP as fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Bizzarre_Avventure_di_GioGio:_Vento_Aureo#/media/File:JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken_Ougon_no_Kaze.jpg)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Feel free to post any stories of times your DM had the game come to a screeching halt because no one could figure his advanced puzzle logic.

Ok so why not just go through the wall of the pit and not the magic barrier. If it's more complex and powerful than you, why attempt to challenge it directly?

I tried that at the start, the walls are made from some kind of spongy asylum foam that absorbs all impact. Teleport magic doesn't work since the room breaks any connection to the outside. Also tried manipulating something from the outside but forces blocked my attempt.

I'd try experimenting. Try shooting a gentle stream of water at it.

Also if the barrier is touching the ground and the ground isn't destroyed then it's not breaking everything that touches it, so maybe it's possible to get through it moving really slowly. On the other hand if it has destroyed the ground then there should be a method of going underneath, since presumably the barrier doesn't extend to the centre of the earth because you're not covered in magma.

Been experimenting, but I'll try seeing if I can some how get some water involved. From what I can guess is that it only affects whats below it, not to its sides. Also just touching it seems to break bones. Only benefit is that I have a healing spell so I can theoretically do this indefinitely

What is your Fullbringer power? Like your personal object? Also I don't recall Fullbringers being barrier specific, they seemed more reactive to stuff and the individual "soul" manipulation was entirely unused.

If it were me I'd use a way to reflect the top barrier into itself or use it to destroy the rest of the barriers as well. If you can like, cling to the wall, while it would break your hand, you can manipulate it to be soft like putty and fold it over around your hand onto itself.

I actually managed to get a pretty broken fullbring. My focus is a PS2 cartridge, and it allows me in initial state to use one move from any one game from PS1 / PS2. As soon as I can get to the next major stage I'll get access to abilities and forms like the dragon genes from Breath of Fire 3 and KnightBlazer from Wild Arms 2. I tried manipulating the wall and I even tried making something that would link two of the barriers, but nothing seemed to work so far, everything just popping or breaking before it could work.

Would the nullification barrier be able to be manipulated into nullifying the breaking barrier, you think?

I tried at the start but it didn't seem to work, since it nullified any attempts to be manipulated. I could try again though, I doubt it would work.

See if you can just go intangible. I take it since you're not suffocating then air must be getting through.

Powers don't work that way. I'm a human not a ghost. But I really appreciate you guys trying to help.

I tried messaging my DM since this has been going on so long, he said the barrier can't be modified.

No, take on the form of someone from a game that can go intangible.

OOOOHH! Alright. Didn't even consider that!! Do you know any games off hand that have that? Gonna guess a casper game or something

There's Ben 10 games, just turn into Big Chill/Ghostfreak. Xiaolin Showdown, Serpent's Tail ability. If intangibility doesn't work and you can't modify the barrier, then try something that reflects its own ability back before being broken, something that possibly uses no contact.

Were there any Ben 10/Xiaolin Showdown games for the PS1 or PS2?
Do you know of any games that allow for a copying and/or cloning ability OP? If you did a bit of googling you might find something that sticks and could try making a new barrier directly inside of the old one. Just be certain to do it vertically so if it works your GM can't pull some bullshit "Now there's a new barrier to deal with!" trick.

Have you tried burning them ?
What about slicing them ?

Really though, it sounds like your GM has decided upon the One True Solution and will make things up as he goes to block any other solution.

My serious suggestion is: Set your phone/watches alarm to go off partway through the next session. When it goes off, let them GM know that you haven't been having any fun with this pit for several sessions. Then start packing up your things and start to leave. If, before you get out the door, the GM gives the solution, think about if you want to continue.

If there is no solution given, leave the game and don't come back. Even if you get out of this pit, you'll only run into another puzzle with One True Solution.

That or start thinking about how your character would behave. When would your character give up ?
What would your character do after giving up ?

I tried that ghost trick, managed to go intangible but the barrier still rekt my arm. Said it was a good try though.

I don't, not in that way at least. I managed to steal the power from another fullbringer whose power was to store souls in marbles. I didn't get her souls, but when we went down to hell (don't ask me I wasn't paying attention) we got into a mirror match, but got handwaved because time issues. In the end my character got his mirror matched hell version as a summon now. But still trying to think of what else I could do. I can try going through the wall but that defeats the purpose of the training.

The character's been pretty genre savvy, when he first got hit with with the rejection barrier he though it might have been a "Lesson in Failure", but no it was a One True Solution. As far as burning and cutting I used Igniz's Brutal God Project from King of Fighters, which uses galactic energies, but that just ended in a broken arm again. On the plus side I've got more practice with healing magics out of the deal.

Don't bring the nullification to the breaking barrier, bring the breaking barrier to the nullification.

Can't move either

Banging your head against a One True Solution is asking for failure. Too many of them fall into:
- How the fuck was I supposed to think of that ?
and/or
- How the fuck does that work ?

So my serious advice is to give up. Either walk away from the game, or have your PC completely give up. Not "this must be a lesson in failure" but "death is the only way out". Have him stop healing, because healing only prolongs his time in the pit. Then start acting more and more self-destructive. Get careless and pull out abilities based on nothing but their potential to hurt your character with collateral damage. Then escalate to actual suicide attempts.

Going suicidal forces one of three actions from your GM:
- He forces you to act out of character.
- He does something to let you out.
- PC dies and you get a new character. One who isn't in the pit.

Time to use Answer Talker user. Also your DM is an idiot for giving you such an amazing power

as far as powers go one dude's fullbring started as the power just to punch things. he can currently punch holes in dimensions

i mean. i figurred out the first three OTS its just this last one is so impossibly complex im just at a loss

If you can take moves from PS2 games, use this game, (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Bizzarre_Avventure_di_GioGio:_Vento_Aureo#/media/File:JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken_Ougon_no_Kaze.jpg) and copy pic related. Congrats, you just won everything.

Make bubbles within bubbles and keep reinforcing/making new bubbles from the inside faster than they pop.

>It seems to break anything that touches it on contact.
Pity you can't make it touch itself.