MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Have EMN cards made a difference in your deck or local meta?

Eldritch Moon card image gallery:
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-new-fortress-in-town/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The overall and paper Modern Metagame

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Modern deck primers link:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Tiers are usage-based. A Tier 2 deck may be better than a Tier 1 deck in a specific Metagame.

Second for Mono-White Hatebears with Selfless Spirit.

Also unban Hypergenesis and Stoneforge Mystic.

Reminder that modern is a competitive format for competitive players. Take your home brews to the standard/casual thread

Is there any guide to get into modern? Like what removal is prominent, if there are a lot of artifacts running, how fast the format is, mana fixing in the format, etc? Besides decklists I mean.

Not really, but we can answer your questions.

Prime removal includes Lighting Bolt, Path to Exile and Terminate. Basically anything low cost, high impact.

Affinity is the best artifact deck. Lots of synergy and most times crazy fast. Good deck, look it up.

The format is generally decided on turn 4 or 5.

Mana fixing is super easy. Between fetches, shocks, and a myriad of other lands, there's enough to support any color combination you want.

So I'm guessing it's not really a creature heavy format with all that great removal running around, right?

The opposite, really. It tends more to a creature heavy format, so every deck runs at least some removal. Even Zoo, named because it runs a bunch of creatures, runs some number of Paths on the 75.

Creatures are just really efficient, and a bunch need to be answered or they run away with the game.

>Prime removal includes Lighting Bolt, Path to Exile and Terminate. Basically anything low cost, high impact.

You forgot dismember and abrupt decay.

It's still creature heavy. It's better to run threats than answers and always will be.

What if you have a janky ass deck that pulls hilarious surprise wins? I mean that's like shit how Suicide Zoo started coming about.

Bedlam reveler is fucking great.
I know it isn't EMN but traverse the ulvenwald is pretty neat too

>Suicide Zoo
>Amulet Bloom
>Nahiri Control
>Dredge
>The completely unknown and untested Eldrazi deck that demolished a Pro Tour
These were all brews until people realised they were actually really powerful. Have you ever heard the quote attributed to US patent office commissioner Charles H. Duell from 1899? The quote goes, "Everything that can be invented, has been invented."

tldr there's plenty of good cards and decks that don't see play because they don't see play. Your attitude is a feedback loop. Just because it's a brew doesn't mean it's bad, though it's important to remember that this doesn't mean any janky piece of shit brew it's somehow good. You have to be able to evaluate on your own, which you most likely are incapable of if you've developed that attitude.

There's a difference between brew that's competitive, and tier 1000 superfriends.dec. Even mono green stompy can be considered as a competitive deck (especially as sometimes it pulls some wins on a small tournaments).

That post simply stated to take brews elsewhere without leaving room for the possibility of a competitive brew.

That post is mostly a response to people posting janky brews just to bask in the (you)'s and bait the entire thread.

But I agree, barring every brew from discussion doesn't do much to help the thread.

brews are some of the most fun because you can always tinker with them, and the response you get from players can be the best.

I played my personal brew against my LGS owner. The owner runs Jund, and I wanted some experience playing against Jund.

I ended up with 2 players being my hype guys when they saw me holding my own against jund with my deck. For a short time, I was literally the Chinese cartoon hero of a voodoo cardboard collection sim.

Traverse the Ulvenwald is basically a strictly better Worldly Tutor if you have Delirium, I really don't know how people haven't caught on. Maybe its cheap now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being Tarmo levels of expensive.

isn't this thread like dead enough already? He's just being a stupid fuck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-new-fortress-in-town/
My homebrew is going to come and fuck your burn deck in the ass.

Then your infect deck.

Then anything based on small creatures.

Exactly. Delirium is extremely easy to turn on if you even slightly design the deck towards it. Run a seal of fire or tarfire if you have to.

The land aspect of the card isn't bad either.

my friend is currently using gnarlwood dryads in suicide zoo, with it he just won the wmcq here

The issue is that there aren't enough playable delirium cards to warp your deck into playing cards like Seal of Fire.

gnarlwood dryad

Creature (26)
1x Azorius Guildmage
4x Eldrazi Displacer
2x Flickerwisp
4x Judge's Familiar
4x Leonin Arbiter
4x Spirit of the Labyrinth
4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3x Thought-Knot Seer

Land (22)
4x Adarkar Wastes
4x Celestial Colonnade
3x Geier Reach Sanitarium
4x Ghost Quarter
7x Plains

Instant (8)
4x Ojutai's Command
4x Path to Exile

Artifact (4)
4x AEther Vial

D&T with a little blue for Azorius Guildmage and Ojutai's Command. There's also a hard lock of Spirit of the Labyrinth + Geier Reach Sanitarium in there as a way of grinding your opponent's hand down, and once it's empty they have no way of playing Magic anymore.

why no ulamog or another immense mana sink?

You may as well run Genesis Wave with all that mana. Or just Tooth and Nail into something dumb.

Cards that crosses my mind:

1. Mad lumberjack that makes a small goyflike-appearance
2. gnarlwood dryad
3. Traverse
4. Whispers of Emrakul (delirium turns it into hymn)

Look again, my friend, for the mana sinks are there.

Assault formation, I buff and swing with all the defenders not used for mana.

Aurelia's fury, I win with lethal burn damage. If it's not enough to win, it come with a lot of neat tricks. The tap down and damage splitting is highly relevant.

genesis wave doesn't generally win me the game same turn, tho. Aurelia's fury and/or assault formation + that much mana is lethal, same turn.

>Aurelia's fury and/or assault formation + that much mana is lethal, same turn.
Right so you haven't done that much research if you haven't even run into Banefire.

I am aware of banefire. I made the deck when jeskai control wasn't a big deal, and it is more attractive now than it was then, but for now I still think aurelia's fury is superior, due to its flexibility.

>can be used to fog, tapping down threatening things
>can be used as spot removal across multiple targets
>instant speed
>all around better and more versatile if I do not have the full mana needed for a kill, and am using it in conjunction with another wincon.
>hilariously counters ancestral vision

Also, consider the counterspells I need to worry about...mana leak? spell pierce? I can play around those sorts of threats with the sheer quantity of mana I have. Remand is all they've got.

The main issue with delirium beaters in Modern is that Tarmogoyf is basically better than all of them. If you want to build on a budget in Modern, delirium is the worst thing you could be doing. Like, literally.

I want to proxy two decks without sideboards to play against each other. What two decks would be the most fun?
My thoughts were to take two midrange/control decks and just accept my value overlords

You can run Tarmo in the deck too though, after all its got a strong synergy with Delirium strategies.

Plus, its arguable that Grim Flayer and Gnarlwood Dryad are THAT inferior to Tarmo. Grim Flayer has Trample and sets up your draws while feeding your yard and thus, your Tarmo, although it doesn't grow as much as the latter. Meanwhile Gnarlwood is a 3/3 Deathtouch for G. You really can't ask more of a one drop.

Plus, the point of a Delirium deck is not having a strong aggro, but to have a creature toolbox of x1s and x2 to fetch with Traverse in order to stabilize and the dominate the mid-late game. Hymn of Emrakul also helps a lot winning a topdeck war.

Hey why don't Living End decks play a copy of Urborg to make the Street Wraiths unblockable?

spicy

Proxy two time wierd life.
The fun will never end

Why in the bloody bumble fuck did mishra's bauble spike to double the price overnight?

>check mtg salvation
>any untiered deck/a deck from "deck cration" subforum likes to call itself "tier 3"
>There is a list of tier 3 decks and neither of them is tier 3.

why.

some autistic buyout probably.

Holy shit, I bought a playset for literally pennies a couple years back. Now it's 25-50 on TCG, and... 15 on SCG. Wait, which obe is more accurate?

why are there 2 modern generals

Not him but you need to splash a third colour. Red or blue seem insane.
You'd need to run just generic good stuff like courser of kruphix, Bitterblossom, to get more card types. The splash can add either more instants, sorceries or tribal (tar fire or faerie trickery as a one of)

Kys

One is competitive, the other is a Mardu meme spillover

Apparently it helps for getting delirium in suicide zoo.

Bitterblossom isn't a good idea because it osn't the kind of card you can't rely to end up or even want in the graveyard.

Courser I like, but not over Mul Daya Oracle, albeit it could be included alongside it. If extra land per turn stuff is going to be included on the deck perhaps the Gitrog Monster could be a 1 or 2 of. It's a great curve topper that easily wins you games if it isn't removed.

About the splash, Red seems like the go-to colour for Lightning Bolt, Terminate and the like, but if you pick it you are running Jund colours, which means that unless you can do what Jund does even better or have a very different strategy altogether there's no point in running a Delirium deck over Jund. That's why I think Blue splash is best.

As to what blue cards could be ran, for starters, Glimpse the Unthinkable as a 3 of. A self-targeted Glimpse is pretty much guaranteed delirium and it helps you draw with Gitrog on the table.

>Courser I like, but not over Mul Daya Oracle, albeit it could be included alongside it. If extra land per turn stuff is going to be included on the deck
Courser is an enchantment and a creature, it costs less and isn't boltable. It doesn't give extra land drops but it smooths draws and gains incidental life (good vs burn). Courser is significantly better than oracle. Oracle just costs way too much to be playable a non-ramp deck

Goyf and traverse are enough. Having a giant 2 mana beater and being able to play am improved worldly tutor are reasons good enough for me

>people thought reveler wouldn't be a 4 of in delver
>these same people will pretend they didn't think that in responding to this pose.

I bought mine immediately. I feel like getting extras to make cash off them

>playing modern
lol why arent you playing commander?

cause someone doesnt want to be a filthy casual

I play both. You don't have to be a faggot user.

Anyone else loving the new cards?

I've just put together a Temur delver list with Bedlam reveler and traverse the ulvenwald. It's pretty fun and seems really strong. Tempo's back baby

Delver is still garbage in modern, literally a moot point.

Fuck off with this shit attitude. Good cards make bad decks better. Delver just got back treasure cruise with a body on it.
Not my fault you suck at evaluating cards.

Grixis delver is putting up results and Todd Anderson just did well with rug

You're cute

And you're just wrong

>provides solid argument
>hurrr I insult you

Typical

Not sure where cute is an insult.

Reveler does not make the deck nearly good enough to even approach T1 status. It's another piece of bait for a deck that just can't survive in this meta, or where wotc takes back gifts for the deck, or flat out refuses to print cards fans havr been asking for.

Decks marked with a blue dot basically cannot lose to Hypergenesis. Decks marked with a green dot have a favorable matchup leaning on heavily favorable. I should also mention that mill of all things very easily beats Hypergenesis.

Unban Hypergenesis.

Is there any slight chance that Kalitas will drop in price once he rotates out of Standard?

Not even kind of likely, he's almost perfect and Dredge is becoming even more popular.

This is the blandest of memes.
Listing other combo decks as Favored or Cannot Lose vs. Hypergenesis really makes you just look like you're trying too hard.

Just play monkeys

I'm excited for when Nahiri goes out of print so they unban splinter twin and I'm allowed to play my deck again without ruining wotcs sales :3

"mill very easily beats a deck that runs several copies of emrakul mainboard"

You have brain damage

You obviously are just pulling this out of your ass and have done zero testing with the cards

Not him, but I fail to see how a 4/4 trampler even compares to draw 3 on a 3/4 prowess or an incredibly powerful tutor

>Playing Traverse the Ulvenwald outside of a toolbox deck
>Not realising that even in toolbox decks, Chord is better
Why are you tutoring up a creature? If you took Traverse out and put 4 copies of a creature in you'd already HAVE a creature. And you wouldn't need to worry about having delirium online.

>Courser is an enchantment and a creature
Shit nigger ur rite. Still, saying Courser is better than Oracle is a major statement. But I'll take it for this deck if only because its an enchantment Creature.

Consistency. That should be really obvious. I can now play 7-8 copies of my creatures that already cost fuck all so adding one green to their casting cost isn't a big deal.

You're not going to tell me an upgraded gsz is bad, are you?

Not him but...

Because sometimes you want to have a bunch of x1s and x2s and be able to tutor them just at the right time. Plus, let me remind you Traverse can tutor ANY land with delirium, which has crazy combo potential, specially when its incredibly common to run x1s and x2s of certain lands.

Even without Delirium the mana fixing is good and makes your starting hands more consistent, specially if you run 3 colours or more.

But yeah, I wouldn't use it outside a creature toolbox deck.

You talk as if Splinter Twin was the bane of Jeskai control.

If you really are gonna claim that, back it up.

Sure am.

Can't wait for the pro tour to see how the new set affects the meta.

>splinter twin was banned because it was holding back other decks in modern
>once it's banned nothing changes in modern

top kek

>traverse for Bedlam Reveler
>adds 1 to his reduction cost
>cast Bedlam draw 3
>either traverse again or snap it back

The value train never ends. You're just close minded

What do you think about Curious Homunculus / Voracious Reader?, I found it to be the perfect partner in crime for Reveler.

I play temur delver and almost none of my spells cost generic mana. Maybe if I played less colour intensive spells he'd fit in

I'm all for a twin unban. Tron had a pretty favorable match up against it and with some of the new tools we got it would be even better

Why was Umezawa's Jitte banned from modern?
Pic not related.

>that logo

This particular store is fucking bad. Their prices are CRAZY compared to literally all their competitors.

Mindwrack Demon isn't to be scoffed at as a high drop either.
There's also Ishkanah which seems really decent if she has delirium.

Why is Scapeshift so much lower in the Paper Metagame? All the shuffling?

It's a day 0 ban due to it's insane power level. It pretty much does everything and in the age of Midrange: the Midranging, matches will turn into a Jitte circlejerk.

Both cards are too slow for modern.

So I'm gonna get hated on for this but here me out before telling me my deck is a shit.

I play Mardu midrange. Yes the meme deck of our general. I like it, fuck you. Anyways now that that's out of the way, I jammed Nahiri into my deck and you know what? She's just a bad meme imo. At least for my meme deck. meme within a meme. Memeception

Anywho, I've been thinking of selling her and buying Bobs instead. I already run Lilies so I'm good for Planeswalkers, and Bobs draw effect could be really useful. Any thoughts?

Also I've been thinking of running Blood Moon mainboard since I run a good amount of basic lands, but it's just a thought for now.

She's a meme, but she's way better in UWR control or even WR LD. Dega is a terrible deck for her.

I don't think blood moon is a good idea.

You need double black for lili. Moon is more effective the earlier it comes down. What I'm getting at its you need two swamps and a plains at least before you can play it. However in this situation you have no red because you're only having basics out. Earliest you'll play moon is turn 4 and that's with perfect fetching.

So, either you wait long to play it or you never cast lotv.

I believe for your deck you play fulminator mage with k commands if you wanna hate on mana bases

This nigga knows what's up

This is actually the best advice I've ever seen on this general.

No shit Nahiri is bad in Mardu, you got little ways to dig for her and not enough removal to protect her. Also you should have had bobs in the first place.

Bloodmoon is shit mainboard for three color decks.

Please take a lesson in constructive criticism from

Oh damn. Sorry dude, I forgot about my reddiquette.

Mardu user here. He had a fair point. Don't be a pussy, this is Veeky Forums.

Just because it's Veeky Forums you don't have to be a prick and contribute literally nothing.

>reddit bogeyman

Oh shit, you are right, instead I gotta make a le ebin movie/videogame reference or a quirky joke xD.