Fantasy Guns Thread

Whether they're old fashioned or modern, post firearms that look like they're straight out of fantasy
What kind of effects would you put on an enchanted firearm?

>What kind of effects would you put on an enchanted firearm?

Practical stuff:
>Self-cleaning, never-rusting barrels
>A special fire-enchantment to make sure all the power and paper burns each shot to massively reduce residue

Basically stuff that makes a gun maintenance free. I mean ooga-booga tier magic is nice, but sometimes it's the simple things that will turn a good gun into a great gun.

And randomly, to explain firearms in my setting:

>Unlike in our world, gunpowder has a number of inventors and sources, regularly lost time time and found or rediscovered again.
>This also means there's a lot of different formulas, not all of them work so well.
>Generally the reason for these discoveries vary, but usually it came about in the 'dark ages' as a way to do blast excavations without magic or help fuel fires.
>The current and most popular gunpowder formula came about due an alchemist trying to find an alternative recipe for cookies without using flour.
>When his judicious and preserved notes were looked at, he was posthumously banned from any kitchen.
>Firearms began with cannons, as per-our world.
>But one day, a giant fighting in a battle grew tired of protecting his artillery team and instead used his massive strength and size to simply hoist the thing up and fired it like a crossbow
>He then decided to do this normally
>Kingdoms then sought to shrink down the cannon so others could mimic this.
>Of course, this meant for a long time, guns were being developed to be man-portable siege weapons
>You can imagine how well this worked
>It took eighty wears after the first "handcannon" was developed that people realized what it lacked in wall-busting it made up for in people-killing. And ease of use.
>From then on, guns began to evolve into a more familiar path with only the occasional (and often disasterous) attempts to make them man-portable siege weapons.

Simple, yet effective, i like it
Huh, interesting alt history setting

One of my characters had a rifled cookson repeater musket, with no trigger or firing mechanism.

Instead, her nails were blessed by the volcano goddess to be as red-hot iron. During battle, she would press the tip of her thumb nail into the touchhole.

Only people like she could use the weapon, it was useless to anyone else.

This.

Played a Mage game once where another PC had an "ammo on the go" gun. It was basically a blunderbuss, that could fire anything metal that could be jammed into the barrel, without ever damaging said barrel. Damage was always a base roll, no modifiers. So the lethality of the metal didn't matter one way or another.

that doesn't look terrible futuristic. Also, funny enough, that looks less like a European boardingsword and more like a Chinese Jian.

Thank you. I considered it having an origin in the Eastern continent like in our world but decided, seeing as the world has had intercontinental communication problems for 1200 years and magic is a 'subjective' thing, I felt 'why not make the history of firearms as wild as magic?'

As a side note: with magic having returned to the setting to meet a whole bunch of new technology that's developed in its absence, the setting is filled with people attempting magitech.

With mixed results.

A story about firearms which sounds fantasy-like. During the first siege of Diu in 1531, a 600 strong portuguese garrison was besieged by 70 galleys and 22.000 men.

After holding out for months, they ran out of ammunition, but still had gunpowder.

The attackers were quite restless when they removed a bullet from someone's wound just to find out that the european barbarians were shooting their own teeth at them.

>that doesn't look terrible futuristic
>Whether they're old fashioned or modern, post firearms that look like they're straight out of fantasy

No, I mean the filename says "futuristic medieval fantasy weapons" and everything about that sword doesn't look like it would need more than 18th century tech.

I'd say specifically crafted so that magic users could direct and amplify their magic through them while focusing the magic into deadly pinpointed precision. Possibly even stack those spells with lead shot, so that the spell helped propel the slug into the target. Like a firebolt causing the lead to melt while piercing skin, or iron shot being electrified, gunshot wounds that freeze and crystallize and possibly even frostbite

Anyone wants to explode a whale or similar monster? Here's your gun-lance.

Oh. In that case I agree with you.

I don't remember where I got it from, or if it makes any sense in context.

The balance on that thing must be a mother to maintain.

>he was posthumously banned from any kitchen

What, out of spite?

That gun makes me want to die. It's a flintlock so why is it also a break action. Why does it have an axe head on the end, if it's pistol size there's no weight and the head is tiny so it's useless. Why does it load three rounds into it at once when it can't fire them all. What the fuck is with the stock. It's like someone saw a rifle and went "I'll just remove most of the barrel" What is it even shooting anyway, this thing doesn't look like it could actually kill anything and it also looks way too heavy for a pistol

Changing after every shot, yeah...
>The balance on that thing must be a mother to maintain.
>must be a mother to maintain.
>mother
Excuse me? Which expression is that?

In a world with resurrection spells, many people would get posthumously banned from specific places

Behold, the infantry murderer that can be wielded by literal giants— the punt gun.
A single one of these means a possible count of 50 casualties per shot

Motherfucker. Television for children version.

Also good if you want to hunt lots of ducks at once.

Is it really posthumous then?

"MEN, I DECLARE WAR UPON THE DUCKS"
"Why, Sir?"
"BECAUSE FUCK THE DUCKS"

no, but seriously. Wielded by a Giant, this would be pants shittingly terrifying from an infantryman point of view

its made for the charr race from guild wars 2 they are larger than humans so the gun makes a decent hand axe
the break action no clue other than it looks cool reload it that way

If they died once before, would you really want the once rotten corpse of an explodey baker alchemist anywhere near a kitchen?

Magic Gunpowder

I'm sure it would, just amused that for how scary that is in concept, historically its targets were principally commercially-hunted waterfowl.

Giants hunting drakes as humans would ducks just made its way into a story. Thanks gents.

Just give him a swivel gun with a load of nails and small shot, that way you won't have to wait until the 19th century.

Or any wall gun, really.

Anyone have any good stuff that's more like mid-industrial cartridge using service rifles rather than muskets? Black powder repeaters and breech-loading single shots are fine.

We humans are a curious bunch. We built a huge ass shotgun not for war, but to hunt waterfowl for maximum consumerism

You just brought this full circle into something even cooler. I thank you

There where in fact breach loading flintlocks.

i have a few images saved i can share

ok we're pretty much coming up on "it"

who's the artist? i've seen his stuff around all the time but google searching that pic brings up nothing.

poking around revealed that at one point he went by maximus mk1, but that proved to be unsatisfying because i cant find anyone by that name online, or at least not an artist.

I'm curious myself, this is the last one I have.

Hellboy's Good Samaritan

I've always liked the idea of elemental ammo, essentially replacing the powder with something else. Imagine a gun that takes cut crystals of elemental air as propulsion and is loaded with shot as usual. You'd crack the crystal, have it expand and push the bullet out, essentially making a compressed gas gun.

Either that, or the ammo is actually specially-made talismans that release an AoE burst of magic when destroyed, and the gun just directs the energy in a beam or bolt, depending on type. Although then you'd get weapons more like the Volcanic that has early bullet-propellant in one.

He's one of those artists who put out heaps of great shit and then something happened and they not only stopped making more they pulled all their shit off the internet. We're just lucky that so many people had saved his shit before hand.

Behold the greatest guns ever imagined

Checked this thread just for this. Ty, user.

This is what gets me about PF firearms.

Cleaning shit is the most basic-est cantrip in the game, but the self cleaning enchant is like, on of the most expensive ones you could get.

Any crew mounted weapon would be best served with a wand of true strike, to be used while the weapon is being reloaded.

Cannonballs at 300 feet is no small joke.

Seems like an incredibly elaborate way to make a device to shatter your toes.

METAL GEAR?!

Wouldn't the velocity of the "pistol shots" be barely enough to move a full size cannonball a few feet? As soon as they leave the barrel they're just going to flop in front of him.

somewhere a /k/ poster just died.

Only if we consider shrinking/unshrinking through magic to maintain a conservation of energy, which I don't think we should. Otherwise we should be seeing the inverse problem, where objects moving even a little bit relative to you should be taking off like rocket when shrunken.

I don't know enough about the energies and equations involved, aside from the simplest of "momentum = mass times velocity" sort of thing, to figure out what things should be looking like if we played around with the notion, though. Most shrinking and unshrinking seems to operate on "keeps moving at the same velocity, damn the laws."

You know one thing I loved about ff7? You've got all these assholes with giant ninja stars and swords the size of a boat and then you've got a goth whose weapon is a 1911 he bought at a pawn shop.

One of my characters in A GURPS infinite worlds campaign had a "Shoggoth Gun", effectively a Dr Grodbert gun, that fired a literal cone of magical fire. But then, he also had a claymore lightsword.
yeah he was this guy

That can't possibly be what was in the original design, can it.

>find pic related
Jesus, certainly looks like it.

But that is clearly Beretta 92.

>Tfw DM loves to include guns
>Tfw he includes 1880s revolvers, and doesn't seem to be aware there was ever anything preceeding them

Picture just for the thread. But it sure rustles my jimmies something fierce.

Guillermo del Toro tells a great story about this gun. He wanted a handgun for Hellboy that would look really big and exaggerated, so the actual prop is an enormous piece of hardware way bigger than any actual handgun should be-- and on screen in Ron Perlman's big beefy mitt, it just looked like a slightly larger than average pistol. So for the sequel they put together an even bigger, more ludicrous gun for him to tote around.

>What kind of effects would you put on an enchanted firearm?

Making it self-cleaning would be neat

>Only people like she could use the weapon, it was useless to anyone else.
Unless they could some how rig up some kind of slow burning rope wick, almost like a slow match or something.

What are some fun alternate ammo types, Veeky Forums? Beyond just slugs, darts, and shot rounds?

Haha, holy shit, I have the book that image comes from. I always wanted to make a t-shirt with the camel gun on it.

have fun reloading in combat, cracker

I've been developing a setting with firearms for a while no, too. There's a period of about 150 years that just recently ended where the world was without magic, so the "modern" firearms with their revolving and lever action mechanisms have only the very weakest enchantments, due to magical studies basically starting at square one, but the very oldest guns tend to have much, much more powerful enchantments because they were made in the days when Magic was still top of the rock.

This... THIS! is my magical realm.

The most insidious creation known to man
Rust rounds

For gameplay purposes, I decided to have the action of a firearm be what actually "counts" as the weapon for the purposes of proficiency, rapid reload, weapon focus, etc.

I've also technically given players immense freedom in designing their own firearms, but I don't think any of them have managed to give more than a cursory glance to the gunsmithing rule.

/k/ommandos will shoot themselves when opening this picture

When the tigers come to fuck up your day, you fuck theirs up right back.

why do a lot of roleplayers get triggered by guns in fantasy settings?

do they not know there was a period of history where plate armor and firearms coexisted?

A fairly lengthy period of history, too.

Auto reload. Or rather, reload upon fire:

>when you pull the trigger, gunpowder and bullets materializes in the barrel. Then gun fires
>3 seconds later, after it hits (or misses), bullet and gunpowder residue dematerializes.

this looks like a good idea.

just like in my final fantasies