Bes

Have you ever convinced anyone to play tabletop games, Veeky Forums? Tell me your stories.

I managed to get my friend into 40k then subsequently Dark Heresy and Black Crusade. He's a great player, and his reactions to some o the more awesome tidbits of lore are always fun to watch

I convinced a bunch of people in a Discord I was in to play with me. It's been over three months, playing every week, and they all love it and have branched out seeking more groups and playing experiences.

Got a few guys in college to try, one of which tried to DM.

It turned out that the guy DMing had ridiculously thin skin. He got up and walked out less than an hour into the session because we asked him to stop doing stupid shit like having us roll perception to see normal doors.

This wasn't the only time he's done something like this, but it was the first time I was around to see it. I think he was on meds for depression or something and they made his mood really swingy.

I wanna get into wargaming but I don't know if I'll like it or where and how to start. I wanted to try WHFB but I'm also worried that now that it's canned by GW, finding people to play with is gonna be a bitch.

I got a juggalo at our college to play a homebrew tabletop because rolling a char was quick and he 'wanted to see what the nerds were always so excited about'. Setting was magical cyberpunk (IE shadowrun with mods) and the dude played an old arcane golem that woke up and started to...you guess it...kill people with a hatchet. at first it was eye-roll worthy but since in this campaign each player ran a gang or played as an independent, they banded together against him after he killed a member of one of their gangs who was earning everyone money through stolen car parts. His tactics to evade were actually pretty smart, and at one point he went full 'The thing' and wore a trenchcoat over an obviously hulking form and the players rolled so poorly on their perception that it actually worked. Eventually, ANOTHER player who was a rival of those players hired him on as an assassin, which started something of a war between the trio who were after him and the big crime boss sheltering him. Slowly he started to realize the rituals he was killing people for didn't work any longer, as the gods nowadays had kicked out the old gods he was killing for. Without a sense of purpose in killing and no concept of money (I really liked how the guy played his character as having no fucking idea what money was) he wandered aimlessly until he found other golems who were in the same existential crisis. He ended up banding them together with some rag-tag hobos and pickpockets and making his own gang.

dude was actually really fun to hang out with, though he'd occasionally do some wigger shit or talk about all the weed he smokes (not that I'm against it, I do it too, but talking about it don't make you cool). Wasn't the only unexpected recruit we got, lots of people around campus would see how much fun we were having in the cafeteria, ask questions, and when they found out we were welcoming join in on it.

Another time, I got a girl in the theatre club to sit in. she was curious and when I explained the game was sort of a crime drama like the sopranos, she made her character on the spot. She played a member of a traditional mob family that didn't allow women to advance, but with the twist that she was a woman who'd pretended to be a man for 5 years and completely forged her identity to get in with her mob family. Now, resenting them, they tasked her with setting up a franchise. She did, kicking back her quiet piece of the pie and bartering her mob connections with other gangs, but she slowly built up forces of local thugs and even got a handful of Ork mercs (yes, the 40k kind) to back her up. One day, she got sick of kicking money to her mob family, and said they could come get her. They tried and failed to kill her in a drive-by shooting, and she retaliated by capturing a mafia drug lab and staffing it with her own people. Since the mob had more money than she did, however, they got into the pockets of the other players' gangs and turned them on her. She killed another player in a record shop who'd come to kill her while she was grabbing protection money, and made her big reveal to the guy's gang. Then she packed up her suitcase full of cash and tried to split town and retire. Unfortunately, one of the players against her (who was playing a biker gang based on GI joe) headed her off and killed her in front of the airship dock. She said it was an acting experience like nothing she'd ever had before, and played with us again for a few quarters.

I've seriously got tons more stories like these two, if you guys are interested.

What game was this, sounds hella fun.

More theatre girl stories would be great.
Must be nice having so many choices put in front of you over a script.

>That picture
Are you the girl with the daddy issues?

I managed to convince 6 friends to play tabletop games. Then this 6 friends have convinced 4 more people.
So i have an overcrowding problem.

More stories like these?
Do tell.

I was the same way, friend at the FLGS convinced me to pick up one of the warmachine starter boxes. It was a low cost investment with minimal risk, I'd recommend that, or at least to go and watch other people play.

Really interesting story
But I have a question, how do you run a campaign like this involving characters who have an antagonistic relationship with each other. It seems like this system while creating an interesting dynamic would lead to conflicts between the players irl.

Also how would somebody even run a game like this. For instance how do you keep character actions secret if everyone is at the same table. Even if players feign ignorance of ingame developments how would the DM stop them from metagaming. If the DM have secret conversations bettween the players wouldnt theat slow down the game too significantly.

Plox respond.
I have always wanted to run a game like this.

I convinced my girlfriend to play Pokemon Tabletop United (because well she loves Pokemon) and she is still trying to figure out how to really roleplay but she had fun and always asks when we will continue... sadly the other players are hard to get together at one table so it kinda went on Ice... unfortunetly

The friends that do play TTRPGs live on the other side of the state.
The friends that don't want to try or even seem interested live here.
life is pain

Several actually.
When I first started TTRPGs I played 3.5e with some of my friends. This very quickly ended in a shitshow (sessions with like 9 people) because I was to beta to refuse someone asking to join.

My more successful converts have been more recently. Most of them where people I'd hang out with now and then and now and then we'd play some vidya.

Now I was wanting to run a cyberpunk savage worlds setting for some time at this point and at one point just straight up asked them if they'd like to come with.

I had played dnd 5e with the other 2 players for some time but they too never had played savage worlds.

This way everybody had to learn a new system and nobody had to feel like they didn't grasp the mechanics good enough.

So yeah when you can play vidya with someone or maybe some boardgame you can probably also play TTRPGs with them. Just make sure your new players have some interest in the type of setting.

What makes you say that?
Not her, though.

bumping for more theatre girl/juggalo murdergolem stories

>because I was to beta to refuse someone asking to join.

"Oh, uh, sure, but how about we form a second group?"

Five and four, both manageable numbers.

I have a missionary complex about this. I invite most everyone I hang out with, or try to set up sessions for people who have never played before. Usually everyone has fun, but there's always one or two people that gets hooked.

Recently, I brought two of my friends into it, and they're awesome. Both theatre people, so roleplaying came pretty naturally.

Tell me about it.

Cerebella is a slut and lusts for old man cock, but I don't think she actually had any daddy issues. Wasn't she raised in a circus by the mafia?

Or was that the same guy raising her that she now wants to fuck, in which case yeah, that's pretty much a textbook case of Electra complex

The joke is that there's fellow user(ette) that literally wants to fuck her dad. Shows up every once in a while.

Usually people are already curious about it so it's pretty easy from there.

Not true

No. I've never played any Veeky Forums related games because I have no friends. I just come here to lurk and live through other people's experiences, and to talk about lore.

I accidentally told my co-workers I used to play D&D.

Now they want to play D&D but none of us can find a group.

>Now they want to play D&D but none of us can find a group
Make a group together?

That's crazy talk.

Are you insane, user?

Yeah, I got my room-mate to join a D&D 3.5 game I was starting. He kind of came into it as a joke, made an Ork Barbarian named something Golden-Thigh, but actually ended up enjoying it and wanted to keep playing.

Never managed to get the whole group to show up again after the first game though so now he knows what it's like to be me, wanting to play and never being able to.

Got my girlfriend to start playing X-wing, and she enjoys it. Waiting for an opportunity to finally show her 40k. She likes Sisters of Battle...

I'm a little worried about what will happen when she gets really into 40k. She's competitive.

>She's competitive.
>sisters of battle

You're safe.

I don't think you understand Alpharius.

Had one friend in a medium-sized group who was into dnd, thus asking me to run a few games for the entire group (10+). Thee years later and still going somewhat strong, some dropped out, some play but don't care much about maintaining a sheet, some utterly converted.

Good on you, user.
You can do it.