GURPS General - /gurpsgen/

Previous thread: What's your favourite Pyramid article?

Other urls found in this thread:

pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/07/crafting-simplified-crafting-system.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

back home now, and checked
recover energy, M89, doesn't mention anything about how the restored FP is used - the main limitation is that it can't be used in low- or no-mana areas, and requires rest
wording's the same in basic characters, too.

pretty neat that your GM requested that

Then it must be Fit and Very Fit that doesn't work for magic! Weird how it doesn't work the other way around for Recover Energy then.

It used to be 3-10 On de Medici's Secret Service until Hot Spots Renaissance Florence came out.

Now it's a toss up between 3-53 Fortunately, I Saw This Coming; 3-53 I've Got a Great Idea; 3-65 Alternate Guns Specialties and Techniques (and I've given the same treatment to melee weapons); 3-72 & 3-83 Pointless [...] (wow, just wow).

The one I get the most regular use from lately is 3-77 It's a Threat. I've been stress testing it the last campaign I ran and will again in the upcoming one to see how accurate it is at what it does.

Yeah, I have a pretty great group now. A nice change after a 7 year dry spell.

yeah, fit and very fit don't apply to magic or psi
i'm a little surprised that fit's recovery doesn't work for magical loss though, considering that'll be a pain in the ass to book-keep for if you do a lot of things that'll cause FP drain from both magic and physical activity

recover energy makes more sense though, since it's directly building off of lend energy, which is a straight FP transfer, no strings attached.

>What's your favourite Pyramid article?
Know you strength.

It probably doesn't usually become an issue because it is unlikely anyone who casts spells wouldn't just have Recover Energy anyways.

LoTR Elf Magic, Specifically: Making things so superlatively well that they become paranatural.

on in GURPS terms: With a skill at 16 and over you have a chance to bequeath advantages to the item you're creating.

What kind of modifiers would you smack onto this? And how would you limit?

I mean my first reaction is -5 and every point you succeed is a point you can spend on an advantage. But conversely that sounds like too many points?

The big issue with this is that GURPS kind of has very very wonky low-tech crafting rules (Low-Tech Companion 3) or very abstract crafting rules ("Inventing" things that already exist and you have a working model for, from Basic Set).

That being said, if you did work out a basic system that functioned, a good way to staple on "so good it's magical" might just be to use existing enchantments from Magic. They already have a price-tag, so you could go for something as simple as "add enchantments worth up to the margin of success times $100".

There's also the High Craft system from Pyramid #3/66 The Laws of Magic's "Alternative Ritual Path Magic," but that's it's own system; the division between mundane crafters and super-good ones is no longer *just* a difference in skill but requires both high skill and a new skill entirely.

>the division between mundane crafters and super-good ones is no longer *just* a difference in skill but requires both high skill and a new skill entirely.
Adding on to this.

That may actually be an interesting division. For example, both dwarves and elves are known for producing superior goods, but you would never confuse one for the other (and not just because of the aesthetic differences). That's because the legendary dwarven smith is rocking Armory-45 while the legendary elven smith has Armory-20 and High Craft (Armory)-20; both pull of impossible things (the elf produces a literally magic sword while the dwarf can manage a "totally mundane" sword that is still impossible sharp and sturdy) but in different ways.

I'd really like something like that.

The High Craft rules in Alternative Ritual Path Magic (Pyramid 66) and Metatronic Generators (Pyramid 46) could possibly work as a basis for such abilities. If using the latter, elven craftsmen will have some kind of variant on the Gadgeteer advantage.

Alternatively, you could do a variant on Imbuements where you permanently add effects to items you craft. The downside of that is that you can only really do weapon effects unless you write up a bunch of other imbuements (possibly using cinematic skills like Invisibility Art as the basis for them).

Okay, I know about the 'kill everything everywhere' innate attack (that is incorrectly mathed but whatever) and the 100 points of ablative DR HP workaround, but what other broken things are there in GURPS?

Strength-based damage for realistic melee combat.
Personally speaking, though, I just convert all cutting damage to crushing if it hits any DR. That takes care of my autism of broadswords chopping through plate.

I can get you not liking for autism reasons (I have my own autism dislikes too), but I don't know if I'd consider either of those 'broken'.

>'kill everything everywhere' innate attack'

where did you find it?

SJG Forums. Allegedly, for 53 or something points, you can have a toxic attack that can damage the entire known universe. Apparently the math for the radius is wrong, though.

"Broken" is a buzzword that means "thing I don't like". There's very little in GURPS that is literally broken.
It's a system, so of course, without context, you can make it do blatantly stupid and abusive things, but the mechanics still work and you can do comparable things that would match or exceed whatever it was you were attempting.
Not that that'll stop people from calling it broken. I wonder, though; does the argument of the GM being able to disallow anything he wants hold up in GURPS? I feel that it does, because, as a toolkit, it's meant for you to design your game. Of course that means you need to be able to design anything. A toxic universe-spanning innate attack should be able to be modeled.

You'd be wrong in both your accounts. The toxic attack is broken because it's massively inconsistent with every single other advantage in the game. The ability to kill anything that is on the edge of the known universe for 53 points, at no extra cost to yourself, which you can repeatedly use every second, is much more powerful and game-defining than the ability to warp across that same distance with 100% reliability, with no ability to survive in alien enviroments, outer space, with no raditation shielding, with only it's coordinates, yet it costs an entire magnited less. 100 Ablative DR is broken because it sidesteps the limitations that make treating HP like a simple 'points of damage until i'm dead' bar, like the losing mobility and defense capabilities at a 1/3HP, or falling unconscious at 0HP, with an -80% limitation that lets you buy a ludicrous 100DR for the same points that would buy you a measly 6 HP.

And it's not that it shouldn't be able to be modeled, but rather, it should be modeled consistently with the other features of the game. A toxic universe-spanning innate attack should have a point-cost that suits the impact such an attack will have. And that's what I mean here, it's not 'broken' because I don't like it, it's broken because it's inconsistent. The point values are literally what makes GURPS, a gauge of the narrative or mechanical impact certain features will have on your game. Of course, anyone trying to use these broken things is bound to get a noggin in the head, and a strong 'No', but it doesn't change that the system breaks when pressed hard enough in some places. And I definitely didn't mean it like a criticism, but rather I'm curious to see where GURPS' breaking points are.

>100DR for the same points that would buy you a measly 6 HP.
I messed up the math hard here while exaggerating. It's only 20DR for that amount of points.

Im looking more for something thats modern-futuristic. Playing DnD for so long has left a desire for something that isn't high fantasy.

There was something on steaveforums about crossing Monster Hunters with After The End?

>100 Ablative DR is broken because it sidesteps the limitations that make treating HP like a simple 'points of damage until i'm dead' bar, like the losing mobility and defense capabilities at a 1/3HP, or falling unconscious at 0HP, with an -80% limitation that lets you buy a ludicrous 100DR for the same points that would buy you a measly 6 HP.

What, how does that work? DR is 5 points, maximum limitation is -80%, so minimum cost is 1 point per level of DR. DR 100 costs at least 100 points. Meanwhile 6 HP is 12 points. 100 character points gets you 50 HP, which lets you soak 33 points of damage before penalties, increases the amount of injury you take before dying by at least 100 (up to 300 if you make all your HT rolls) and isn't affected by armour divisors.

ADR advantages over HP though - you don't take shock penalties or suffer crippling for losing it, for one.
also relying on the shadow pool of your negative HP isn't exactly the best idea, considering you're relying largely on luck back there.
remember: every action you take in the negatives requires a roll to stay conscious

has advantages, even.

anyway, the best is to buy both enough HP to reach 20 (brings the natural health regen up to 2, to start with) for ~20 points, then buy ADR to pad that out with more or less a safety net that can't suffer crippling injuries

>fit and very fit don't apply to magic or psi
But if modifier will be "Biological", so they will work?

I already admitted to the wrong math, I got a wee bit excited and confused some values, like HP's 2-per-point with FP's 3-per-point.

The point is that there's no strings attached on DR, not that large amounts of HP is useless. In a vacuum, though, I'd consider 0HP to be the point where it ceases being useful (the vacuum being, you spent points on literally nothing else, so your continued ability to use your character hinges on you not falling unconcious, higher HP only decides if you'll get to use your character again).

100 DR lets you take 107 points of damage before you feel any penalties at all, 110 before you fall may unconscious. 60 HP lets you take 40 points you before you feel any penalties, 60 points before you may fall unconscious. If you bring in armor divisors, it's worth to mention that these 100 points of DR do not impede your ability to use armor. 10 points of damage with a (2) armor divisor against 4DR, 100ADR will become a grand total of 16 'damage' against the ADR. HP with the same amount of DR will receive 8 total damage. ADR has taken 16% of it's value in damage, HP has taken 13~%, the net decrease in effectiveness more than definitely makes up for the fact that armor divisors are typically rare encounters.

the exact wording is pic related, so RAW you can't get the bonus for FP spent on magic or psi spells AT ALL
RAI you probably could, but no GM will let you apply the half FP loss to magic spells from very fit.

>The big issue with this is that GURPS kind of has very very wonky low-tech crafting rules (Low-Tech Companion 3)

Doesn't they straight and generic as GURPS?
Your workhours converts to money.
When you produce enough money they convert raws into items or real money.

Yeah, there been thing to shattering that system when high wealth comes and makes work done fast. But that proplem on level like "Bring Hunter!-30 on game about Hunting".

>magic or psi spells

Sooo, if i will speak persuasively enough GM will admit it?

What was the biggest missed opportunity in the history of GURPS?

The issue with LTC3's crafting rules is two-fold.
1) Quality is determined by margin of success, which feels extremely odd. I can't imagine someone setting out to make a sword and accidentally a Fine quality blade.
2) The MoS required for Fine or Balanced weapons is insane. For 99% of GURPS, succeeding your roll with MoS 5 is *very* good, but the crafting rules require succeeding by a whopping TWELVE for any sort of benefit. That means any Fine-quality weapon or armor or Good-quality tool *has* to be the work of a once-a-generation literal master of the trade. Yes, this includes the $80 Fine dagger that's 1/10 the cost of the basic greatsword that most any trained armorer can pop out. Very Fine requires MoS 18, which is even more insane.

GURPS: Fallout falling through.

>Im looking more for something thats modern-futuristic.

y helo thar, GURPS Cyberpunk

yeah

fug, forgot i had my trip on

>I can't imagine someone setting out to make a sword and accidentally a Fine quality blade.
well it's not like you're setting out specifically to make a shitty blade, are you?

I know this isn't the point of your post, but does anyone else find that the chi modifier's "must spend 1d hours a day in meditation/exercise" a show stopper? Maybe it's the type of games I run, but that could take almost half to a third of the daily travel time on a long road to an important destination. That seems downright hobbling, and what's worse is that the rest of the party has to suffer for it.
I asked about it once on the forum - questions like, "could a dungeon fantasy martial artist do his prayers in a horse driven carriage or rickshaw or something?" and everyone is like nah, that defeats the entire purpose.

Just something that frustrates me, almost makes me want to make my own custom version of chi and base it on a different vow.

It's easy to fuck up and make a shitty blade, but the idea of fucking up and accidentally producing a high quality tough blade that keeps its edge better than the rest seems extremely odd.

Actually, scratch that. I think what I really find weird is that's the DEFAULT way to produce a better blade. No penalty or anything unless you know this specific perk that's a trade secret and well protected by age-old masters, no way to set out to make a better blade. Accidentally stumbling across the perfect amount of heat, oxygen, cooling, layering, etc., does make sense, but it shouldn't be the only way to do it. You should be able to set out to make a blade like that purposefully. If you're asked to smith a fine blade for the king, you say "yes m'lord," not "yeah I'll try."

Couple that with the MoS being so fucking high that a once-a-generation amith with Armory-22 has a 50% chance of making a fine blade... I don't know, shit's just weird to me.

are you fucking retarded
when you roll high to make a fine blade you're not 'fucking up' - you're doing an exceptionally good job
it is a little silly, being unable to take penalties to make the best blade, though, and the required MoS being so high is gobshite.

but it really isn't you just 'fucking up' and making a good weapon.

>Oh no, he used "fuck up" when comparing two dice results! Better have an episode about it!
Fuck off autist.

oh, also we forgot about the +4 bonus you get for performing a skill in a nonadventuring situation with minimal risk
that brings your Armory-22 guy from 50% to 90% (skill 22 up to to 26, and therefore required roll from 10 to 14)
that softens it, since you're not exactly going to be forging master katanas in the middle of a goblin cave, but it's still a pretty high MoS for a relatively small benefit.

I think this makes it easier to use the time = money rules laid out somewhere in basic set campaigns.
1) calculate price of thing to make.
2) Assume smithy is an average income job
3) figure out how much of the price of an object is markup for profit and markup for materials. Using Dungeon Fantasy 1 as a guideline, the labor and profit margin are 20%, so you need materials that cost about 4/5 the price of your sword... maybe there should be an upper limit to how many pounds of material you use so you don't get away with bringing in 1000 lbs of slag to be able to afford a half pound very fine knife, and to encourage you to somehow procure fine/very fine raw materials and/or find someone that can process them or learn to process them yourself.
4) knowing how much of the product's price is raw material (80%) convert 20% of the price into man hours assuming average wages.
5) Roll against skill every so often to see how much progress you make towards completing the weapon... like once a day to see if you finished 8 man/hours of work on smaller projects, or once a week for 40 hours.

I think the two missing points are a penalty for high cost factor enhancements (not any Joe Schmoe should be able to make a very fine sword no matter what if they just spend enough time) and a system for processing raw materials.

I wrote a bit about it on my blog a while ago.
pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/07/crafting-simplified-crafting-system.html

>"must spend 1d hours a day in meditation/exercise"
As much i play with that much of GMs admit "In morning i go out for train "100 buddha punches""-like thing which i should repeat for 3 hours per day.
Real show stopper is 1d days to restore and Irritating Conditions at time of restoring.

Hey how's it goin'?

As harsh as the penalty is, I'm more fine with that because it only impacts the chi master. On the other hand, the up to 6 hours a day is a hassle for everyone.

People set out to make cheap, good enough tools and equipment all the time. Skimping on the materials, fit and finish gives you something that won't win any Best in Class prizes, but it can be solid for considerably less.

I'm with this guy. Setting out to make a Fine bit of kit should involve better, more expensive materials and planning to take more time and make the fit and finish perfect.

You could train your Chi on top of a carriage, standing there doing tai chi and dramatic poses.

>Source: I've seen some Kung Fu movies where people practiced on top of moving trains.

>involve better, more expensive materials and planning to take more time and make the fit and finish perfect.

Like dis?
>Crucible Steel
>The smith can produce a small quantity of high-quality steel that may subsequently be used to craft any metal object. The process requires $20 worth of materials per pound of steel to be produced. It demands five man-days per batch; there’s no bonus for taking additional time. Make a Smith roll to manufacture the steel, at -1 per full 3 lbs. of steel in the batch. Success yields an ingot that, if successfully used to craft something, improves margin of success by 5 when determining that item’s quality.

I tried to fix the LTC3 crafting rules so that the results match the other things in the game better and high-skill craftsmen are better off trying to produce high quality items rather than using the time spent rules to churn out low-grad gear.

It bypasses weirdness like making fine quality axes more profitable than fine quality swords by calculating value first and then working out what quality level that qualifies for.

It is a bit unpredictable, which might not please people who want a given craftsman to produce consistent results most of the time.

I also included rules for critical success and failure, plus a possibility of producing an item which isn't exactly what you set out to make.

Fixed the inevitable grammar errors, spelling mistakes and unclear wording that you only notice after you post something...

For comparison, here are the numbers I calculated for how fast craftsmen of various skill levels could work compared to the baseline rate when using the long tasks and time spent rules from the basic set.

That's weird for a lot of reasons.

1) Smiths didn't make crucible steel. It was produced in a smelter. You'd need a specialized forge to produce crucible steel, and techniques, it's not something just anyone could do.

2) Why pre-early modern 'crucible steel' could be good was pretty much down to random luck. India had iron contaminated with trace amounts of useful alloying elements, but nobody understood why. Much of the 'wootz steel' that was produced was, objectively, no better then any other steel other then the tendency of the construction method to produce high carbon steel.

3) High carbon steel's properties aren't determined by how well it's assembled into a finished product. Even a crude blade made from good steel will keep an edge better and be more durable then a work of art made from shitty metal.

Question: I'm interested in sf and saw "Transhuman Space" having quite nice setting, but does it work well with 4th ed? Or is it strictly 3ed?

regards,

GURPS n00b

There's a book for updating TS to 4e called Transhuman Space: Changing Times. It also includes a brief overview of the setting as a whole and som GM/player advice, meaning it's *possible* to get by with just Changing Times if you're willing to do some legwork. If you want more tech, background, or memes, you'll need to bust out the 3e books for it. Transhuman Space: Shell-Tech, however, does have a nice catalog of 4e cybershells and bioshells.

Holy Warrior of Love/Fertility from DF: Clerics has Wrestling, Knot-Tying, Erotic Arts and Whip as skills. It's literally a Paladin of Rape.

Then there is a Priest of Love/Fertility, who has such gems as Master (holds any beast motionless and quiet as long as the caster maintains eye contact), variety of other animal control spells, of which my favorite is Beast-Rouser (excites a single animal), as well as Strike Dumb (subject cannot speak and, therefore, cannot say "No"), Strike Numb (subject temporarily loses all sense of touch - useful for casting on yourself when things literally go south and you have to show your OTHER honor), and, of course, mind control stuff and Alter Body. One thing I don't understand is Repel Hybrids - it's fucking counterproductive!

>The big issue with this is that GURPS kind of has very very wonky low-tech crafting rules (Low-Tech Companion 3) or very abstract crafting rules ("Inventing" things that already exist and you have a working model for, from Basic Set).

I hope they get a rehaul in Girl Genius.

But, really, I don't blame them too much? Most players or GMs can't invent something new, like, how would you even define that? How would you grok how in range that is?

>That being said, if you did work out a basic system that functioned, a good way to staple on "so good it's magical" might just be to use existing enchantments from Magic. They already have a price-tag, so you could go for something as simple as "add enchantments worth up to the margin of success times $100".

Oh, good idea. Also, it would provide a metric to keep the players from going nuts--limits the level of enchantment to the value of the mundane item.

>There's also the High Craft system from Pyramid #3/66 The Laws of Magic's "Alternative Ritual Path Magic," but that's it's own system; the division between mundane crafters and super-good ones is no longer *just* a difference in skill but requires both high skill and a new skill entirely.

TO THE ARCHIVE.

>I'd really like something like that.

Me too, I got the idea from, well, reading LoTR, but also the knot magic mentioned in Thamathurgy. So my mind jumped to magical friendship bracelets and the swan feather shirts from swan lake

>That's because the legendary dwarven smith is rocking Armory-45 while the legendary elven smith has Armory-20 and High Craft (Armory)-20; both pull of impossible things (the elf produces a literally magic sword while the dwarf can manage a "totally mundane" sword that is still impossible sharp and sturdy) but in different ways.

I'm kinda ehh on this, because I like the juxtaposition of the forgemasters creating great works...and the small folk doing their small magics just beside them.

>I hope they get a rehaul in Girl Genius.
GG is probably cinematic enough that they can get away with tweaking BS's Invention rules and using Metatronic Generators *or* Mother of Invention rules to come up with a price tag.

Part of my problems with the craft rules is that a Stratavarius made from plywood and hemp would sound like shit.

Fine gear should require moderate skill levels and more expensive materials rather then utterly unrealistic SL.

Is there an official Blood Magic ruleset?

What's blood magic?
Casting from HP? Bloodbending? Genetic Magery?

New GM with a question. What's the general consensus on starting points? I've read the Campaigns book and for something like a Post apocalypse setting where people aren't super powerful would something like 75 points with a 50% cap on disadvantages work?

After the End, the new post-apoc series for GURPS, recommends 150-point character. 75-point characters would certainly be more realistic, but realistically, apocalypse survivors will most likely spend their time hiding in a bunker before dying to the first raiding party; as such, realism is kicked down a few spots on the priority list. 150-point characters allows PCs cool enough to survive in the wasteland but not so cool that they breeze through its challenges and don't still have to worry about their basic survival.

That being said, if you want your campaign to be gritty and grimdark and more of a sandbox-survival game, 75 points would work. After the End assumes the party will be doing some sort of low-key adventuring (Mad Max, Last of Us, etc.)

That's fine for a pretty gritty game.
There is a new GURPS line, "After The End" which has 150 point characters, you might check it out for inspiration or a toolkit if post-apocalypse is what you are interested in. Two books so far with book 1 being advice on making characters and book 2 being advice on running games.

After The End assumes you are part of the small fraction of powerful people able to survive and thrive in the ruins of the fallen world.

If you'd prefer a 'realistic' apocalypse, you are wrong.*

*Realistic apocalypse would be depressing, with relying on a mix of blind luck and being willing to do whatever pathetic thing you need to in order to survive, then dying anyway. Nobody wants to play that.

150 is a very good option. A experienced player can make a very powerful character with this, but.. They could also make a very powerful character with 75 points, it would just be highly specialized.

200 points isn't really bad, especially if you sink some of that into interesting templates or other abilities then KILL THINGS WITH SHARP THING.

Honestly, you can make a capable combatant with just 16 points. Grab your main weapon skill and Shield for 12 points, put the last 4 into auxiliary combat skills like Wrestling or Throw Weapon (Main Weapon). Perfectly serviceable fighter that can hold their own in a skirmish (or at least not die). If guns come out, though, well... hope they miss or surrender.

In many ways guns reduce the cost even more. 12 into Rifles and 4 into Camouflage means that with some time aiming you can blow the brains out of a 250 point character.

For sure. Rifle-14 and something as easy to get positive modifiers for as Camouflage would make for a pretty scary build, and at only a fraction of your total point budget. I'm assuming that a post-apoc game would rely more on melee than ranged, though. At least, that's how AtE seems to work, from what I've heard. Guns are expensive, ammunition is rare, etc.

All that said, I'd love to try out a post-apoc game with low point heroes defending their farm from raiders. Something like 62 points with DF Henchmen templates.

Games like that can be a lot of fun. AtE had an interesting relationship with guns, in that they remain very powerful, but $5 a round for pistols and $10 for rifles means every shot had better count.

That said, the mutant power redundant vital organs can let a character/mutant NPC pretty much no-sell guns with Injury Tolerance (unliveing).

Is there any precedent to making a technique to buy off the penalty for hitting targets with negative Size Modifiers? Would it be a bad idea to allow it?

Without actually looking I'd say yes. Techniques exist to buy off penalties to skills. Also hit locations are just a special set of size-modifier-based penalty and those have explicit techniques. If I had more time I would thumb through the technique creation rules in Martial Arts and see if there was anything there that might fit. I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

Luck and Super Luck-- when they say you can reroll die rolls, do they mean an individual die (one d6) or the whole roll (the 3d6)?

You re-roll the whole roll. That's why you get to make two extra rolls and then choose the best of the three results.

The whole group. If you're rolling a skill you'd reroll 3d. If you're rerolling damage you'd reroll anywhere from 1d to thousands of d.

what's so wonky about the Low Tech crafting rules?

could use some Item qualities to balance that out couldn't you? I know after the end has stuff like Cheap and Fragile that might be useful in modifying outcomes.

Issues I've noticed:

Materials only add to effective skill, so you can make very fine weapons out of substandard materials if your skill is good enough.

The degree of success needed to produce better than normal items is very high. This means that fairly skilled characters have almost no chance of producing fine items and high-skill characters are better off abusing the time spent rules to mass produce cheap items than crafting masterpieces.

All fine items are considered equally hard to make, although the value added by being fine can be anywhere from 2 to 9 times the item's base cost. This makes fine axes much better to make than fine swords, maces or spears. Also, making weapons fine in material quality and fine in balance (CF+6 for swords) is considered just as difficult as making them very fine (CF+20).

Uses the same rules for making fortifications and barriers as it does for making houses. This leads to things like wooden palisades being very pricey. Also, digging trenches and piling up earth is more expensive than you would expect from the Basic Set rules.

So 150 point to have people better than moisture farmers with guns. Thanks. Same 50% cap on disadvantages right?

Most people cap disadvantages at -45 or -50. I cap them at -25 and just give them 25 more points, because I feel that fewer disad points to capitalize on means that the disdavantages they take are more integral to the character concept than your standard Chummy/Overconfident/Sense of Duty/Skinny parade.

>So 150 point to have people better than moisture farmers with guns. Thanks. Same 50% cap on disadvantages right?

400 pts Champions from MH1 have ~[50] of disads and 200 pts Sidekiks from MH4 have [35] of disads.
250 pts Devlvers from DF1 have ~[50] of disads, and 125 pts Henchmans from DF15 have same ~[50] disads.
ATE [150] Wastelanders have [45] of disads.

I can said that Champions and Delvers pretty powerful in their niches and not bad around. Sidekicks nice in niche and so-so outside. Henchmans and wastelanders will try not to get out out of narrow spotlight.

I will play around with the number but >= 50 sounds good to me. I do like the idea of more meaningful disadvantages though since I've been in games with large disadvantage caps and I have myself filled them out with meaningless ones just for the extra points. Might shoot for ~30.

150 points serves fine because this isn't a super powerful setting as far as what the players want but I have time to fuss around with that if things change.

Thanks.

I want to see the future but be unable to see myself. So I can tell the fortunes of others but be unable to see my involvement.

How would you recommend I buy this? Precognition with a -80% 'others only' limit (not seeing your own death is -60% alone). Maybe add Blessed with a -20% 'others only' limitation Alternate Ability?

>Part of my problems with the craft rules is that a Stratavarius made from plywood and hemp would sound like shit.

Sure as fuck it would. Hemp's a terrible string for violins.

>Fine gear should require moderate skill levels and more expensive materials rather then utterly unrealistic SL

*makes a wobbly hand* It's possible to crit success a Very Fine weapon. Look at black smiths that could accidentally create steel in their forges.

But besides that? Make it a long action? Each roll indicating a day (at least) has passed (though maybe hours for smaller projects. SM modifier?)

Player declares what quality they are going for

Goal is 16 points in successes for a Fine Weapon, 20 in a very fine.

Player rolls versus their modified skill level (-4 or -5 for fine, I think), All successes by however many points get stored, along with a bonus for materials used. Failure either destroys your work utterly or means you have to restart but the materials are salvageable.

Player indicates when they are moving from the initial creation to the tempering process. This is important, because if the player can't hit 16 in the first step and say woot, I'm done. They need to properly temper the blade, and if they cock it up they risk destruction of all their work.

How about the fortune telling skill?

Planned on getting it, really doesn't tell the future though. I'm looking for a genuine, supernatural ability, probably going along with Psychometry and Healing. Not just charlatan stuff.

you could use the divination spells from GURPS Magic. You could use skills as advantages to convert the divination spell into an advantage.

For full fortune-teller vibe, include Contact Agent -30%; how can you trust a fortune teller that doesn't hold your hands? Also, unless you're including enhancements, then you've definately reached the -80% disadvantage cap.

I like this idea, you've got a first phase of straight up creation and from there a secondary phase where you can hone/refine/tune the item.

>I like this idea, you've got a first phase of straight up creation and from there a secondary phase where you can hone/refine/tune the item.

Thanks. I actually consider the second phase a difficulty/gambling problem. Otherwise it's "Roll until you reach X." With an enforced Secondary phase it's "Roll until you think you can reach X in Y more steps." It would need some playtesting to figure out what Y is, or if Y should be in relation to X

To expand on the system a bit:

Equipment gives you a skill bonus, Materials are just one time points in the Success pool.

Like, Fine Steel is like, 5 points. Yeah, that's a lot but I think it should balance with some rules for failure.

When you fail a roll:
Remove points from the success pool equal to the material grade:

Cheap: 5
Poor: 4
Good: 3
Fine: 2
Very Fine: 1
Legendary: GM's Discretion

Take your base skill+equipment modifiers, minus your margin failure+Point loss.

Success by three or more: Redo the current step, no further point loss
Success: Loss of X amount of rolls
Fail: Restart
Fail by more 5 or more: Restart, partial to total material loss. (Maybe make a table?) IE: Very Fine Steel is now Fine or Good. Magical materials loose some of their charge, or become a mix of the magical and non magical variants.

Secondary Phase: Player can declare decoration to increase selling price. All Decoration would be partial, etchings, coloration, and gilding. Full Decoration includes fancy wave patterns on the blade, fantistically molded crossbars, etc. Full Decoration must be declared before starting and further modifies the player's skill level down

>Remove points from the success pool equal to the material grade
Except better materials are often harder to work with, not easier. How about limiting the quality of the resultant item to within one step of the worst quality material?

bump

Do you have Asparagus too? I can't find my copy.

two, in fact.
One has better content, but worse editing and the other has less content, but better editing

>Except better materials are often harder to work with, not easier. How about limiting the quality of the resultant item to within one step of the worst quality material?

Mm, did not know that. The point had less to do with the material being easier to work with, and more with your idea.

Unless you really cock it up (or you're deliberate in doing it) it's harder to make a bad blade out of good material than it is to make a bad blade out of bad material.

Panic bump

What rules do you think need rehauling?

What kinds of settings do you like?

I like anything in TL4 period. Actually I just like rapiers and big ass pistols and stupid hats and pirates who use all those things

I'd like more in depth invention rules that don't require hundreds of thousands of gurps bucks for the minimum facilities.

I would like some more optional rules and guidance on how many points a player may earn a session and things that are worth extra points and those that might cause a deduction.

I like TL4 fantasy for some reason. Swashbucklers, conquistadors, the new world, and magic.

Stealth rules. They seem to be nonexistent.

Yeah. This is kind of a mess for something so important. Dungeon Fantasy 16 (under Ambushes) goes a long way toward cleaning it up and consolidating though.

Still the information is spread, piecemeal, across several different books and a few forum posts. Much of it, or a framework for it at least, is in Basic in the senses section though and can largely be inferred from there. It's bad editing to make players infer rules, especially about such an important thing, rather than come right out and state them.

If they ever do a 4th edition revised I hope this kind of shit is top priority.

>This week is named Leopold. The news:

>• We sorted out our August releases. Look for those next week and the week after, if all goes well.

>• I finished the writing and editorial tasks on my big Secret Project. The files are officially somebody else's football right now. I plan to spend this weekend letting my brain decompress . . .

Two releases this month besides pyramid it seems.