Dropzone / Dropfleet Commander

GenCon and battleships edition

How excited are you guys for shipping to start, now that we're down to 1-2 weeks left?

The battleships look absolutely wonderful, and I'm hype for them to go out in general release.

Also, general Dropzone Commander thread as well.

Starting off with BeastOfWar's pics from GenCon

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=92GeJ5uf6Hc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unfortunately, I can't say for sure what the class name of the PHR battleship is.

Looks like the spinal plates (and probably the fins/tentacles) on the Scourge battleships are articulated, which is pretty damn cool.

If any kindly anons are at GenCon with a good camera, more pics of Hawk's case would be much appreciated.

i am worryingly erect at this phr battleship

You and me both, user.

The UCM ships are perfect!

>24 medium cannons
>a huge ass rail gun

Fuggg

Every time I look at any UCM ship design I can't help but start cumming furiously from my eyes.

They are beautyful

What kind of fish do you think the scourge battleships are based on?
It reminds me of a lobster, like how their cruisers look like sharks, and their frigates look like reef fish

bump for battleships

They look like trilobites, user.

Oh shit, you're right

UCM ships look better upside down.

I really like the sound of this game, but none of the fleets grab me. I dunno, maybe it's the colour schemes, but none of them just click

That seems to be a somewhat common sentiment; we'll just have to see how the ships look in different schemes.

Huh, both the UCM and the Scourge click hard for me.

Fair enough, personally I loved all the designs, though I would definitely recolour them.

Shaltari - Chromed Metal, maybe tron lines/gems
Scourge - Bone/Stone a la Alien/Prometheus Juggernaut
Unsure about UCM or PHR, PHR are pretty cool IMO, but UCM are a little generic (but they are the baseline faction so it fits)

I guess some of the PHR in OP's pic look alright. (Some of them being a bit sharper in the nose avoids the "your mom's dildo" look of their main cruisers.) But that's the thing, I'm still reluctant to jump into a game and buy models that look "alright".

I'd probably go with a royal blue rather than the white, so hopefully someone somewhere will do something like that with their fleet. Still interested in the game, what I've seen of the gameplay (admittedly just a couple of youtube vids) does look fun.

Funnily enough, I can't think of the ships in any colors OTHER than the studio colors; especially the Shaltari, the orange just really works for them

More pics, courtesy of Hawk's forums

PHR battleship is officialy named the Minos Class.

Both the Daemon and Dragon battleships are outfitted with what looks to be twin burn-throughs

Looks like they don't have the Shaltari Platinum Supercarrier fully painted up, but the upper hull is visible in the bottom

And finally, New York class Supercarrier.

That is a huge torpedo.

That is a nice ship.

Anyone got some rules yet, something tangible? I'm fucking dying here waiting.

Unless some friendly admiral feels like leaking the beta rules, unfortunately no.

Alas, I am but a humble Commodore.

So too am I, fellow Commodore.

t. Commodore

Not gonna lie, that's the first PHR ship I don't like the design of.

Is there still a free digital rules copy for this game? i remember having one when it came out but that was many hard drives ago.

I like the front, but I'm not sure about the rear.

Is that supposed to be a torpedo sticking out of the front?

Yeah the PHR Heavy has one just sticking out like that.

I mean this thing's almost as big as Frigate all by itself, it's pretty self contained I'd imagine.

PLEASE let that be some kind of gigantic shoots-through-multiple-ships railgun on the front there.

>Unfortunately, I can't say for sure what the class name of the PHR battleship is.
the PHRN Teledildonics

Do we have a Bismuth class yet?

I heard a rumor they renamed it to the "Industrial Lubricant" class.

Well, better that than going in dry.

>lining up ships inna space
don't be silly, user.

>no PHR supercarrier yet
>no Shaltari supercarrier yet
Hawk please, just show us

RULES, QUICK SNAG EM AND POST EM

>UCM has little laser turrets
>Scourge has rows of extremely tiny occulus arrays

What kind of PD do the PHR and Shaltari have on their ships?

I would love a giant globe with a massive teleportation matrix acting as a shaltari supercarrier.

Nah, it's going to be a variant of their battleship, just like the Dragon and the New York.

I'm incredibly excited for this game. Those UCM ships look like the Sulaco got some balls and slapped itself together with some WW2 heavy cruisers.

The PHR and Scourge both also appeal to me. Goddamn, three factions of great spaceships, and what by all previews look like FANTASTIC rules!

>UCM has little laser turrets
Don't forget in-scale, that Turret is the same as the standardized defense laser building terrain item in Dropzone Commander.

So it's like, a 4 story building 50 yards long that obliterates a city block in a single shot.

Fair point, and those "little scourge occulus lasers" have lens diameters the size of like 3 slayers, end to end.

Yea the UCM is your generic alien inspired would you like to know more. All the playstyles look so much fun too.

PHR- FISHIES MADE FOR BROADSIDES

Scourge- hard shelled crustaceans and other deep sea critters for cqc plasma shenanigans

Shaltari- most alien but kinda simple designs and many people dont like them it seems. But from what Ive seen they do rocket jousting and teleportation.

I really hope they release a painting guide because I can't imagine most of these models looking like anything else.

>I really hope they release a painting guide because I can't imagine most of these models looking like anything else.

I think it's absolutely wonderful that the ships are going to be in plastic rather than resin, because I know I won't be satisfied until they're near studio-quality in studio-colors.

>because I know I won't be satisfied until they're near studio-quality in studio-colors
I'll just leave this here.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkCw87vsdRA

>tfw you got a good compressor and airbrush for a decent deal
>tfw no time like the present to git gud

What I'm more worried about is how much magnetization I'm going to be doing, since I want to be able to hotswap components as needed for any list I could devise; I can't wait to see how the Scourge wings actually fit together.

Here's to hoping that Hawk's quality tolerance is up to snuff.

On the off chance you're still around/come back, I got a bit of a feel for how the game works from some vids like this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=92GeJ5uf6Hc
There's a couple more on that guy's channel.

Keep the thread bumped will you, teegee?

i honestly don't like the atlantis, it feels too much like someone asked "so should the UCM battlecruiser be a carrier or a destroyer kind of thing" and dace just busted out with the sombrero, poncho, marachas and mariachi band routine and said porque no mas dos LOS EXTREMOS!?

> they do rocket jousting and teleportation.

Well, you're right about the rocket-jousting. The teleportation is really only for ground troops.
Up in space the Shaltari thing is that they have a sensor profile half the since of other races ships.

So you need to be another 6" close to them to see them, and they have sensors with an extra 6" range. So, they sure can see you.
Then, when you finally DO get into range, they shrug, go "ah, fuck it" and turn on the shields. Which make them very easy to spot at range, but, they're also fucking shields. They are the only race to get shields for their ships.

They have a little bit of teleportation in terms of their actual dropships. As I understand it rather than having to send the big mothership into the danger area above planets they can send smaller/cheaper/more expendable teleport gates and then send troops from mothership -> teleport gate -> planet.

But yeah, I don't think any of their actual ships can teleport.

It would have cool if the Frigates could, but probably a bit overpowered considering they don't need to buy Strike Carriers for ground operations like other races and so can have an ENTIRE frigate squadron dedicated to ship on ship sodomy.

I am still trying to decide on colours for my PHR, currently I.am thinking something based on this if I can get a jolly roger stencil or decal.

Either that or a really glossy malachite green, or maybe a very dark blue-black with the guns in gold.

A stencil should be fairly easy to find. If you can do up the official white areas in a malachite pattern that would look sweet as hell tho.

There is no way I could freehand that but I have the right shade of green paint. I might do a trick I saw online where you sponge on gloss varnish for a pearl effect.

Oh that sounds like a neat trick and exactly what I need for my beetle knight from kingdom death.

I think I'll find a super glossy metallic gold spray and just basecoat with that and then put a layer of black on the metallic components and then drybrush normal citadel chainmail over. Nice, simple and if I get the right kind of metallic gold spray, should look amazing.

>Dat paint scheme
I'm still trying to figure out how to paint my UCM. I might to something similar to the Vaygr from HW.

Reminder to paint this on all scourge capital ships.

They really need to start photographing PHR ships with a different background if they're going to use that paint scheme.

Planning on doing a bright, hot-rod red for the smooth plates on mine, with white-hot blue for the engines. Still not sure about the little glowy bits.

>How excited are you guys for shipping to start, now that we're down to 1-2 weeks left?

Have they said anything lately about when and if? I know it was supposed to be around now, but unless I've missed something there's been a shortage of word from the dev's lately.

Update #49

The next thing is to say that we are already well into packing the various elements for the fulfilment of this Kickstarter. With over 4000 orders and well over one hundred thousand sprues, along with the plethora of other items that will be going out to backers, this is certainly a huge packing and logistics task. We are endeavouring to ensure that no mistakes are made, checking each component before items are packed within larger kits.

We are excited to begin shipping the pledges out, but we are still waiting on certain printed elements and a few of the final runs of sprues. At Hawk Wargames we pay close attention to the quality of what we create, and we are doing our best to deliver a high standard for this game, from the rules, through to the printed items and of course the models! We hope you will see this when you receive your rewards.

We wanted to clarify a few points and questions that have been made:

1. When will the Dropfleet Commander be released on general sale?

We are planning for Dropfleet Commander to be released on general sale in mid to late September, with following waves of releases coming in the middle of each month following.

2. Will Dropfleet Commander be sold before rewards are sent out?

We will not be retailing any product that has not yet been dispatched to backers first. As mentioned above, we are planning to release on general sale in September, and we hope to have all elements of the rewards out to backers before this date.

(cont.)

3. Why have there been delays?

We recognise that there has been a delay, and though we have done a lot to try to avoid it, this delay has been caused by a mixture of the following:

Ensuring the quality of the tooling is to the level we are happy with,
Additional game testing to fully polish the rules and scenarios,
Spending a little longer than planned on fine-tuning the design work for both printed items and models.

We have also undertaken a variety of activities in order to improve our company for the launch of Dropfleet Commander:

Employed a number of support staff who are managing our Hawk Talons Scheme, and our Customer Service,
Preparing a range of future releases for Dropfleet Commander that are in addition to the rewards and add-ons available on the Kickstarter, which will be available from your local Gaming Store during the release period,
Working on a range of universe supporting campaign material, including cross compatible campaigns with Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander.

4. What is the Pre-Release Event on the 20th August, in Cardiff about?

This event will allow us to showcase the game and a range of the miniatures to everyone who can attend. We will also have a range of specific workshops about how to put together your models, some painting tips, and of course many demo tables to allow attendees to play (or watch) a demo game - we will have many tables at the event. We chose the South Wales Gaming Centre due to the size and fairly central location, and hope this is most convenient for those based in the UK, and even travelling from Europe.

I kind of feel the same way, they probably could have gotten away without the turrets on top of the hangars.

Never heard of such a rule, and Hawk tends to shy away from things quite so silly as lining up ships in combat on the scale of a decently sized country, but that's definitely a big fucking gun.

One of the pictures I've seen is of a different top piece for the shaltari battleship that makes it a supercarrier

I'm told it's the only supercarrier in the game.

>We are planning for Dropfleet Commander to be released on general sale in mid to late September
That's earlier than I was expecting. Neat.

Anyone seen any spoilers from the new Dropzone Commander book? I've seen a change list for experimental rules but not the unreleased units

Scourge have no known written or spoken language

>I'm told it's the only supercarrier in the game.
Nope, every faction has a carrier/super carrier variant of their battleship:

New York for the UCM
Dragon for the Scourge
??? for the PHR
Platinum for the Shaltari

Although I supposed that the Shaltari carrier is just more heavily devoted to strike craft, with very little actual weaponry, which is why it has the super carrier moniker.

It says Super Carrier, but I don't any hangers from this angle.

Does anyone still play DzC? I just bought the 2 player starter set and have no idea what I'm getting into.

Little ports on the bottom, bruv

What I heard second- or third- hand is that everyone gets battleship variants with hangar space, but only Shaltari get supercarriers.

That makes sense, looks like the Shaltari carrier variant just drops the three particle lances entirely, but keeps those disruptor /ion cannon /whatever batteries on the front.

That looks really cool.

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with either browns as a throwback to ships of old. Or Maybe the green with gold/yellow trip as a shoutout to the OG Battlefleet Gothic Imperial ships.

Looks like you are correct. Thank you kind user.

Reconquest Phase 2 scan when?

>tfw you give an honest look at the Scourge ships
>tfw all those tiny, almost imperceptible eyes alongside the larger ones
>tfw the Scourge details will be worse to paint than the Shaltari

I like the consistency in naming. Have you got these for PHR and Shaltari by any chance?

I don't think there is one for the PHR, unfortunately.

Dagnabit.