Traditional Card Games

I hardly see any traditional card games around here.
Do you guys play some of the more traditional games?
Poker seems to be predominant in America or at least from what I hear. But what else did you guys play which was fun?
Does your region have its own colors and card styles?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/s4uwc
pagat.com/tarot/frtarot.html
pagat.com/class/flower.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'll start with a game which is played all over alps in different variations.

Called Schafskopf.
It is only 24 cards ranging from 9 to Ace which all dealt to the 4 players.
It is a rather fast game with each round not more than 1 minute so it makes for a nice game in bars.
Colors are different aside from heart as you can see. Also queen is replaced by the Ober.

I only know that the Schell Ass (Ace of Bells) is called "Die Hundsgefickte" ("the dog-fucked").

Thats because the card depicts something along that line (top right) and it has many more along the same flavor.
Basically every card has its own different name depending on where you play.

Also regarding the less active pace in this thread I guess card games are too much for old folk to be played by Veeky Forums userbase.

When I was at a large family gathering last week, we played some rounds of Five Crowns, which is not-quite-Rummy with five suits. It was... interesting.

In France we play a popular card game called Tarot (image related). My english is not good enough to explain correctly the rules. If I find a translation I'll post it in this thread. Rules are not so difficult to learn and the gameplay is nice !

>Poker seems to be predominant in America or at least from what I hear.
Pretty much this. Outside of playing with my grandparents the extent of what we play here in the states casually would be poker variants, and games like Speed or Tonks.

>Does your region have its own colors and card styles?
Unless you count a Bicycle deck no.

Either way I'm always interested in good card games because if you can explain the rules people will usually play.

Older, more rural folks have literally dozens of card games played with a standard deck, and variations on the games. Cribbage is British but it's common enough. Most of the games played around here are trick-takers like Hearts or 500 though.

I've got a tarot deck and played it, but I feel like I was doing something wrong.

I loved me the shit out of Spades, Hearts and Gin as a kid. We played other nonsense games like Egyptian Rat Screw and War, but I didn't enjoy those as much as my favorites. Hoyle's book of cards was a regular part of my childhood.

That said, I like the themed games a lot more than abstract games. I like imagining the little stories that are being represented by the in-game actions, so abstract card games aren't quite as engaging. I do keep a deck of cards around.

Cassino is a fun trick-taking game.

My parents, aunts, and uncles all play Euchre, but I was always terrible at the partner games like that.

my favorite game is euchre. 24 cards, partnered trick taking with jacks being highest trump. super easy to teach, super quick to play and loads of fun.

I also really like durak, but I'm terrible at explaining the rules and end up with confused players

I bought a ducale deck a while back but I haven't actually played anything with them yet. I've been meaning to give this game a shot
archive.is/s4uwc
strohmandeln tarock

who /kanasta/ here?

When I was younger, many played Texas Hold Em to attempt to win meager sums gambling, but the only fun games were Spades, Hearts, and Setback

Girls played Egyptian Rat Screw

Knock is decently amusing as a filler game.

Guys used to play it to kill time between rounds at my poker league. It went over well at board game nights, as well.

Whist and pinochle are both fun games, and good for teaching more elementary card play.

Euchre is big in Indiana and Ohio, as well as parts of Michigan and Pennsylvania. Rummy isn't uncommon either, even among college-age people. Cribbage was also big in my family but most people don't know it anymore.

Bridge is fun but the scoring drives people away. Pinochle I vaguely remember from my grandparents but no specifics.

pagat.com/tarot/frtarot.html
This one?

The only card games we seem to play to while away the time is 500, last card, arsehole, bullshit, and something that is like playing rummikub.

>ERS

Holy shit, all those memories of Boy Scouts just came pouring into my head. We played that and Mao all the time.

>The only rule you may be told is this one

Fuck you Matt.

>Egyptian Rat Screw
Played this shit in boyscouts myself. First game was in a cabin with no internal heating during the middle of winter in Michigan.

Yes, that's it.

All I want is an actual tarot deck based on a historical example without all the occultism bullshit.

you'd want to find an Italian deck like this then.
or if you mean something more like the Tarot of Marseilles, then you just have to find a non garbage reproduction of that.
also a reproduction of the Visconti-Sforza deck will be less accurate since they'd have to make up some of the cards, but that might still interest you

>cabin with no internal heating during the middle of winter in Michigan
relevancy?

Anyone else here play hanafuda derived games? I picked up Koi Koi at an anime convention years ago and it's a fun little game.

Just my memories really. It was below zero in the cabin though and we all decided to stay up and that's when the game came up.

>hanafuda
I think I heard about these recently because they made a pokemon version.
The cards (without the pokemon) look absolutely beautiful.
And Koi-koi seems to be interesting. I'm always looking for some engaging games which can be played by only two.

Have a regular Japanese set in return.

to be honest the pokemon ones look pretty great as well

Koi koi is a very fun, and fast matching game. I first saw it during a movie called Summer Wars then I learn the actual rules a few of years later. I don't play often with people bUT I have a mobile application that let's me get my fix.

How did you learn Koi-Koi? From what I gather, there's a bunch of different regional rules and no generally agreed-upon list of yaku.

are there different types of games using hanafuda cards? they all seem to be variations on that style

I get that it'd be difficult to play a trick taking game with them, but still

Pagat lists several likeHachi-hachi (88), Koi Koi, Hana Awase and Mushi. And Go-Stop for Korea.
But Koi Koi seems to be to most well known one in the west.
source: pagat.com/class/flower.html

That's probably not what that user was asking.
All of the games you listed are "fishing" games. The biggest difference between them is the scoring method.

yeah, I meant non fishing games. I didn't explain thoroughly because I was trying to get the post through before the thread died, just like I am now.

still, I haven't heard of all those games so I'll check them out to see the differences.