/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Drider Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread
>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>August 2016 Unearthed Arcana
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful/

So driders are Lolth's outcasts, right? Doesn't that make them as valid as any other outcast drow? How would you stat up lesser driders as PCs? Would you waifu/husbando one~? :3

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats
sageadvice.eu/2014/09/30/2-weapon-casting/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>let me make up a reason to post anime
Whatever

Duly noted. I kinda hate this approach, only because we've been starting to feel the effects of how combat kinda stagnates after awhile, and have been leaning towards more interaction based problems.

Will DEFINITELY keep that in mind. I like that scenario.

What are your thoughts on this situation: The ranger in the party kinda came to a realization a few months ago that the ranger is kinda....less tooled / powerful than other classes, and so I've been giving him a lot of freebies to make up for it (increased CR on companion, arrows, bow, etc. He has the bulk of those items listed).

He's also a shit that likes to go off on his own more than any other player because he likes to feel like a badass.

I've been doing this thing where a gang of Kenku have been stalking the group because of a hit on the groups head from a former adversary (them being followed, feeling like they're watched, all the way up to someone leaving a bounty under their pillows and black feathers in their bags).

Next time the ranger goes off on his own, I plan on having him outnumbered and being embarrassed by the kenku as part of their mind games (binding, tarring, feathering, and leaving him naked in the woods).

Is that a bit much?

>How would you stat up lesser driders as PCs?

Size: Medium-Large

Superior Darkvision
Sunlight Sensitivity

Speed: 30 feet
Climbing Speed: 30 feet

+1 DEX
+2 WIS

You know the spell Web at 5th level, and you can cast it 1/day

How do you construct good side quests? As in, how do you make a side quest the feels right and fits the rest of the world without just feeling like a “go here for loot and exp”.
I’ve been letting my players do some side quest before they continue on the main quest, but I feel like they feel a bit “game-y”. Is there any tips you guys for that, or is it just “stop being a bad DM”?

What you guys done to receive the /pfg/ treatment?

I swear who is letting this guy make threads ?

So crossbow expert and hand crossbows.

I want to go swashbuckler and it seemed to work out well, would I never have to reload my hand Crossbow right? That seems a little to good to be true, but RAW looks good. Id have to keep track of my bolts of course but with not reloading id be happy.

Totally something Ismark would say.

You'd have to reload it, you just don't face a penalty for it.

I would still need a free hand to reload too right? Kinda making the idea of two weapon fighting with one weaker.

Asking again since the only responses I got in the last thread before it died were "don't do it" and "taking a piss".

I need some help guys. Today I'm taking over a Curse of Strahd campaign a friend of mine started. This will be our first meeting with me as DM.

I've caught myself up on everything and I'm super well prepared for everything except 1 thing: the party isn't very far in yet and they are just now leaving Barovia with Irena and Ismark entail, but have not had an encounter with Strahd yet. I want them to run into him somewhere on the road between Barovia and before they get to the Vistani camp, but I just can't think of a way to do it that really does Strahd justice.

Anyone have any ideas for a cool Strahd encounter I can setup for them to run into tonight?

>So driders are Lolth's outcasts, right? Doesn't that make them as valid as any other outcast drow?

I actually prefer 4e's take on Driders, where they're Lolth's chosen favorites instead of "Society that basically worships spiders, shuns people made into very powerful half-spiders."

>party has That Guy
>huge faggot always openly threatening the group after his gold hoarding resulted to a brief moment when it came to blows
>be the bard
>be level 6
>Magical Secrets time
>pick Find Steed: Warg
>nobody gets why
>long rest time
>"Hey Fido: Stand Watch"
>first finally fucking peaceful Long Rest in weeks

Can't wait until I get the magnificent mansion and he's never invited

it'll hopefully get him to stop going off solo

It takes, like, a couple of hours to walk between Barovia and Tzer Pool... If you want them to meet him have him invite them to the castle with his carriage, the initial scene at Castle Ravenloft is great and will probably be a TPK.

If you want to play Strahd realistically, he doesn't know you have Ireena until she is at the Vistani camp. He also could give two shits about the party until much later.

Hey guys, i'm playing a game of 5th edition tomorrow. I'm one of three party members and i'm looking for advice of what to make. We've got a barbarian, and a paladin. So fairly heavy martial core. I'm feeling rogue or wizard perhaps.

We're level 1, so I feel like screw playing a wizard in that, although I don't know how they play in 5E (only played Pathfinder and shadowrun).

There actually was a race of shapeshifting spider-people for whom the "drider style" hybrid form was perfectly valid - the aranea. So, I personally cooked up a 5e version and then made a variant for driders, just because I thought it was easy enough to do -

Here, it's literally the first race in this mess of mine: docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

Bard.
You can heal if necessary.
You've got magic shit like the Wizard.
You can boost your martials' effectiveness with your Bard Song.
Better healing during rests.
Not being crap in a fight yourself.

if you just want a magic and/or a ranged character, bard or cleric are good options
lore obviously for bard, and one of the level 8 cantrip clerics, they're usually more ranged focused

one on hand, it's a pretty good idea, on the other, it's rail-roading, and he'll be even more sullen because now the DM is bullying him.

Punish him for it, but reward him as well, even if disproportionately. He receives a clue or something.

Not a bad idea. Go with this one.

Is there a decent werewolf build out there?

A friend of mine has a "Dr Jekyl / Mr Hyde" type of character that justifies his multiclassing, but he hasn't quite figured out his switch mechanism just yet, so I thought I'd bum that off the lycans for him

Help, please? He's actually a really cool player

Bard seems like a fun idea, means I can be the party face as well. I have played 5E once before and it was a bard. I think it was mostly that we were thrown into a scenario where charisma can't be used. We did one of the pre written adventures, something about being prisoners in the underdark.

Barbarian

The best class for being a werewolf is Paladin.

Bard will probably be fine but your Paladin will make a decent face anyways (or should at any rate).

I personally think Bards are worse in fights than Wizards/Sorcerers either way, but they'll still work great. I'd second Bard/Cleric. Wizard from level 1 should be fine too, if you're dedicated. Having cantrips makes things a lot easier.

Step one, stop thinking about it in terms of "side quest" and "main quest."
There are no quests, there are places and people, and problems affecting those people and those places. You don't want to design quests, you want to design a world. a world filled with interesting people, interesting places and interesting problems. Some of those problems are going to be bigger than others, but there is no main quests and side quests, there's just different things going on.
You aren't programming a computer game, you don't; need to prepare quest chains. You can create a setting filled with problems and opportunities.

Why are magic items a problem if you are moving away from combat anyway?

Yeah, a god punishing people by transforming them into her sacred animal does feel a little odd.

How would you do level 0 in 5e? Or is 1st level weak enough?

Level 1 is definitely weak enough

but you can lvl 0 by using no class skills, just stats and simple weapons

Maybe a quick power tease by having a tutorial like guide lend them some magical items

Piggybacking off of this I'm introducing 2 players to tabletop RPG / D&D for the first time in their lives, although they've played RPGs before. I'll also have 2 experienced players that are in my normal monthly group.

Was considering starting at Level 2, so that each character actually has some options in combat and what not, or should I stick with 1st level characters and a simple straightforward adventure.

Just start at level 1 so your first timers have a limited set of options they need to consider, then bump them up to level 2 after a session

you can have your experienced guys start at level 2 and your newbies at 1

I'd go trickster or thief/wizard.

If this is their first game level 1 should help them get a handle on mechanics before moving on. Also level 1 and 2 are done really quick. They should be getting about a level per long rest if you are doing it right for those

> tfw you play AL with hot girl
> know her name from sign in sheet
> dat ass, literally second best I've EVER seen
> resisting urge to Fb stalk her am d fap
> her bf sold you new PHB for like 20 bucks so you feel even more guilty
> you will cave eventually BECAISE you are a perverted fuck

By the way is heavy armor master a good feat? Free Str buff and effectively DR 3 seems pretty gud to me.

* cave because you are a perverted fuck

Stupid phone

I think it's good early game if your stats are awesome so you can pick up better feats later but eventually DR 3 isn't that much even if attacks aren't considered magical.

It depends on your DM. If there are a lot of larger groups of weaker enemies it's insane. If it's one or two big monsters it's nearly useless.

Cave and fap to her FB picture? That's an easy one.

The one about the feat is harder. Idk, we had a war priest who like it once.

It's intended to be a one-shot adventure. Roll characters, and do something with a toned down House Hunter.

Kumoko new chapter when?

That's.....a damn good question. Hmmm, I guess I just want to curb his soloing.

It is a great feat early game, but starts to fall off past level 6 and pretty much becomes useless by level 14.

However, if you are playing in AL, you pretty Much never need to worry about it becoming useless. AL adventuring very rarely goes past level 15, and most likely any book adventure will end by level 14.

hmm, how do we stop Find Steed to become useless at higher levels?

Like I said, tarring and feathering that guy will definitely teach him a lesson about leaving the rest of the group.

Tome of beasts yet? 7chan is working on it, apparently.

Yes you need a free hand. Dual wielding crossbows doesn't work, and is pointless anyway.

How would you port Companion to the Lonely from Pathfinder to 5e as a feat?

What does it do

>getting wife into D&D
>she wants to play a Beast Master Ranger
She's pretty adamant about it. I've heard that this class is underwhelming, but is it really, really bad? I'd like to avoid any Internet homebrew alternatives, if possible.

One change I was thinking about making is just letting the pet get more HP when it levels up so she can have a pet that she keeps throughout the entire campaign.

Whats so broken about the mystic, again? auto proficiency in saves and any skill.... and what else? psi point costs too cheap?

>Companion to the Lonely (Ex): Whether religiously motivated, as are followers of Arshea, Calistria, or Shelyn, or for purely carnal reasons, physical intimacy helps the vigilante cope with the loneliness of his double life. Once per day, the vigilante can spend at least 1 hour engaged in acts of physical pleasure with a willing partner to gain a pool of morale points equal to his Charisma bonus or his partner’s Charisma bonus, whichever is higher. For the next 24 hours, the vigilante can spend a morale point as an immediate action to roll a Charisma-based skill check or a Will saving throw again after rolling the die but before learning the consequences; he must take the second result even if it is lower.

if you change it so the beast can attack with a bonus action instead of a standard action, it dosent suck balls

just use the consensus ranger

The consensus ranger is 95 percent the original class, but with a few fixes mostly for the beastmaster. Try looking that up.

use inspiration points roll 1d6 to related skill check or save, or something along those lines.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats

It's pretty confusing as the ability to fire as a bonus action seems pointless when you have to have a free hand to reload, making a hand crossbow essentially two handed. Maybe it's intended for an initial NOVA damage burst round 1?

the mystic gets a shit ton of abilities. the class really needs to be toned down for it to be anywhere near balanced.

I kind of thought of it like Switching Personas in the later two games. I guess the idea seemed cool to me, although I do think it could be toned down a bit.

I still hope to see something similar to that when it comes out though. If it was done right it might be cool to switch abilities like that.

They know when you look at their pictures user.

They do?

reason im asking is because im making a homebrew that is mechanically inspired by the mystic, but didnt want the homebrew to be OP. hard to gauge balance this way.

Is it a bonus action to switch between one-handed and two-handed for the purposes of using a versatile weapon? I ask for the sake of building my first Paladin, who can still cast spells with somatic components

short answer: get out
long answer: the closest thing would the luck feat as it grants you 3 luck points to use and roll additional d20. Self only though and this is perhaps the most powerful feat in the game.
You can try this though: Increase Charisma by 1.Once per long rest spend 10 minutes comforting a creature. The creature get a d6 inspiration to use on any attack roll, ability check or save. It must be used in the next 8 hours.

I think if your off-hand is free, it'd just be part of your attack action.

read the rules
its literally no action, you can just do it. for MULTIPLE reasons you can just do it

its free action. You can hold 2h weapon with one hand. But have to use both two attack.
Imagine putting your sword on your shoulder and casting a spell with your free hand.
sageadvice.eu/2014/09/30/2-weapon-casting/

If you can do that, what's the point of a versatile weapon?

So our DM wants us to do in order rolls for ability scores (character creation), sounds unfun to me, what do you think?

>what do you think?
I think rolling only worked for older editions where ability scores were largely unimportant until you got far from the mean.

I did that once... it was terrible. I became a really charismatic barbarian that did 'eh' damaged. it made no sense.

If you can appreciate being an underdog compared to your allies, you'll be fine.

If not... try to enjoy being fearless. Either you'll luck out and be effective or get killed by your enthusiasm.

As long as you use organic method that should be fine, it's 4d6 drop down the line, with a reroll and a stat swap. I always use it for new players and I've never had any complaints in fact my new players love it

it lets you discover your character as you make them

Anyone know of a decent homebrew that might replicate the summoner/white mage class of final fantasy X? The one with the eidolon doesn't really fit.

versatility? Say that you are sword&broad fighter. Sometimes you just need that little bit extra damage. Drop your shield(free action) attack with both hands and pick it up again(interaction). Sometimes you will be stuck without your gear and all you have is your sword. Greatswords don't just pop up out of nowhere and you have to use what you have.
You can't predict anything and its nice to have an option.
It also make sense to do more damage if you grab your warhammer with both hands.

Is there a system like the Random But Fair stat roll for 5E? I found one version on Reddit (reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3f155q/randombutfair_ability_score_generation), but it didn't seem weighted the same way.

My group's powergamer asshole is playing a mystic, I'll let you know as more things come up.

So far the only thing he's used from the class is switching out his proficiencies on the fly, and we decided no, we liked having a point for the other characters to exist. We told him he could switch it out once per short rest, we'll see how that goes.

Are attacks made by Animated Objects considered magical weapon damage?

Roll 3d20, dropping any values below 6 or above 18.
You should now have 3 values that are between or equal to 6 and 18.

For each number, consult this chart, and write down the corresponding number.

You now have 6 numbers between or equal to 6 and 18. These are your stats. The average stat will always be 12. The total stats will always be 72.

yeah. switching proficiencies seemed like an awful design choice. Not entirely sure why the decided to go that route, its very powerful.

Tell your DM.

No. Read nigga. If the attacks count as magical there will be line saying:
Magic Weapons. The X weapon attacks are magical.

Okay but here's where I'm not clear, does this mean that effectively, if a DM goes by this interpretation, a character wielding a shield and a weapon will still be able to cast freely with somatic components if they hold their sword in their arm? Why are somatic components even a thing then, mechanically, if it's not to prevent this sort of thing?

I did, he's undecided atm.

Not to be an ass, but have you asked your players what in your world interests them?

It's not the same because both your arms are occupied. You'd have to drop your sword or your shield in order to cast a spell with a somatic component if you're sword and boarding.

It's also the entire point of the warcaster feat.

That only works if you roll ability scores first.

That group is missing either a wizard or an infiltrator. Bard can be both.

You need at least one hand free to cast. Having a shield in one hand means that both hands are now full. What they're talking about is holding one object in two hands, then just freeing up one hand to cast.

You only need one hand to keep a two-handed weapon from falling to the ground via propping it against your shoulder or just letting it hang down. It requires two hands to swing but not to hold.

Not really, no. I just give them a lot of choices and let them do what they want. So I kinda know what they want, but I haven't explicitly asked them.

Ah, I gotcha

existed

It's unfun, but it's also a good way to help people pick a class if they're unsure of what they want to play.

Doing it after you've already chosen a class is completely ridiculous.

Sure. He can tuck his weapon under his armpit and cast a spell. Would look silly and probably provoke attack but why not. Or can drop it for free and pick it back up as his interaction. Or be smart and have a leather strap so he could drop his weapon but keep it hanging from his wrist.
Its a RP game. RP, imagine, inovate for fucks sake.

So can a Cleric and a Wizard.

with this UA, so can a Cleric Wizard