My party is using Bag of Devouring as a weapon, how do I roll that?

So my party went into this spooky crypt and got this bag that looked like bag of holding. Told them it could hold 60 cu. ft. of matter in hopes that they would put their magical items in it. Well instead they used it to try and take a prisoner inside of it. Since it's actually a bag of devouring it ate the prisoner. The wizard now uses the bag as his primary weapon. I have no problem with this, I actually think it's really cool and creative but I have no fucking idea what to tell him to roll when he attacks with it or how the victim would try to get away or out. Any DMs out there that can help?

Cumbersome two-handed melee weapon that does 1d10 piercing damage, can be tossed 10ft for a ranged attack

NEVER give smart players cursed items.
Cursed items are mad OP.

That's such a huge nerf though with nothing in the rulebook to back it up. I like the idea of the bag devouring its victim if the attack is successful but one attack roll seems like not enough

Tell me about it lol

Trying to fit a bag over someone's head/limbs isn't that far removed from grappling. Grappling is risky for wizards, so this may not be the most attractive option for him, unless he debilitates the enemy in some way first.

Have the wizard attach subservient golem arms, legs, and a cradle to the bag.
He now has a vicious attack dog of complete destruction.

Name your edition. The picture implies 3.pf, and the answers are completely different based on system.

2e with obligatory homebrew

Split the damage up.
Takes 1d10 damage per turn that the bag manages to hold onto it. Large creatures and below are restrained while the bag is attacking them.
Successful strength saving throw will end the bag's attack

>Told them it could hold 60 cu. ft. of matter in hopes that they would put their magical items in it

Fuck you, guy.

Just use a standard DEX roll, no proficiencies. If you wanna discourage the player you can add a disadvantage to the roll since the bag is flimsy and hard to "aim" right.

I don't know what a bag of devouring is like in worst edition, but in 2e, it's just a bag of holding that has a random chance of pulling you inside to the extradimensional monster that's using it like a fishing lure.

What edition has a bag that just bites you

> in hopes that they would put their magical items in it.
Dick move.

> but I have no fucking idea what to tell him to roll when he attacks with it or how the victim would try to get away or out.
Touch attack that provokes AoO. Hit means DC 10 + half item's level + Dex Mod. Failed save > Death.

Grapple at a -4 penalty before any other mods are added on.

>Touch attack on a item you need to shove the other person's head and arms inside
More like a grapple check at disadvantage or one where you're allowed no positive modifiers.

Convinced a SM to give my rogue (based off of Inego Montoya from The Princess Bride) a ring that would make me 100% agreeable if they fail a dc 18 will save. Saved the party at least 20 times (their characters havent even cought on) with it, became a lower noble, and convinced "That Guy" to slit his own trought. It was a starting boon item (Lax DM) and everyone else wanted stat increases. Oh yeah, it was a long rest to use again.

Maybe a grapple check, 3 successful times in a row and it makes them helpless?

I'd have it operate in a similar way to a garrote, except instead of it taking several years to suffocate someone, make it like three or four rounds before they're knocked unconscious and become helpless, with each round the bag gets harder to remove, muffling noise and blinding the opponent for the duration of the bag's attack.

You should have it grow in size the more they feed it until it becomes too big to control.

Chomper (Intelligent Bag of Devouring)
Aura strong conjuration; CL 17th
Slot none; Weight 15 lbs.
StAtIStICS
Alignment chaotic evil
Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 13, Ego 13 (17 against any non-demon)
Senses 30 ft., blindsense
Languages speech (Abyssal)
DESCrIptIon
Most bags of devouring appear as normal sacks, but Chomper
is unlike most bags of devouring. Sporting rows of vicious
teeth, a bad attitude, and a thirst to devour all things, this
intelligent cursed item believes it is the favored maw and
most important appendage of a creature it refers to as the
Eater of All. Chomper hates all creatures except for demons,
whom it considers kindred spirits of destruction.
Chomper has all of the magical abilities of a regular bag of
devouring (Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook 539), along with the
following additional powers.
Bite: As a standard action, Chomper’s possessor can swing the
bag by its straps in an attempt to strike any target within a 5-foot
radius. The possessor targets a single creature or unattended
item with this attack. Chomper (not the wielder) makes a single
bite attack against the creature or item targeted: bite +14
(1d10+5 and bleed 2). This action does not provoke attacks of
opportunity, despite the quasit’s Tiny size. Attacks made in
this way are never modified by the wielder’s abilities—Azrikalis
cannot modify his attack roll with his Dexterity modifier, for
example, nor can he use Chomper to make sneak attacks.
Hateful Curse: When a non-demon is in possession of
Chomper, the bag’s cursed aura imparts a –1 penalty on all of
its wielder’s attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability
checks. If Chomper manages to seize control of a non-demon
host through personality conflict, it directs its host to seek out
victims to feed to it.
ConStrUCtIon
requirements bag of holding type III