EDH/Commander General

WIZARDS edition

RESOURCES:
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING:
>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Post cool wizard commanders in this thread

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-damned-featuring-gisa-geralf/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-08-16-nom-nom-nom/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/praise-sharuum/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/become-a-kraken-a-self-help-deck/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bad-domain/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why is this banned?

HEY GUYS
CAN I JOIN UR WIZARD PARTY?
DID I MENTION I'M PART MERFOLK?
MY UNCLE TWICE REMOVED WAS A FAERIE SO I CAN GET SHROUD TOO

Mistform blue lords tribal is pretty fun

if you're playing a 5 color edh deck the condition is stupidly easy to meet

Post spicy shit for mono-white.
>Linvala/Elesh Norn + Urborg + Kormus Bell

I like your style

Probably doesn't need to be banned, but that's just me.
I jam Ruination in every red deck I own, even 2-3 colors

If you run into a lot of black, this can be devastating

Really? I wouldn't have guessed, but I've never played 5c so I wouldn't know

>tfw fucking up greedy manabases with Ruination
No greater feel

I fucking love the second part of that.
Makes sense to remove the creature type (or rather reword the thing as a keyword and have it in every wall)
Changelings would've been pretty bad if it stayed that way.
The nigger king works too, forgot his name, the dude that also has a black card I think.
Armageddon+Faith's Reward/Sun Titan

Think of it like this, your commander is a permanent of every color and in order to cast it you likely have a land of every type

>have cromat out
>play this
>win

wew that was had game

Oh we /wizards/ now? This here's a fun one.

One reason to build Ghave if you aren't going infinite is he is the best Fungus tribal commander, as he gives access to Mycologist by being white.

Alright I get it, shit

Crovax? The one from Planar Chaos

One of the few alt win conditions that ends the game before people get a real chance to react.

*ahem*

What's the coolest board wipe? Not best, but coolest.

Well, there's cards like Prismatic Omen for starters, plus shocks, ABUR duals and the new tangolands or whatever count as two different types so that makes 3 lands to have all types.
Then there's probably some cheats for creatures too, like Scrapbasket or just playing your commander. Conditions are really easy to meet, and without conterspells it's impossible to prevent, pretty much.

Sad part is finding Kormus Bell and Urborg is harder than finding Equipments or Auras.

Warp World

Well my personal favorite is Chandra's Ignition on a fatty with deathtouch and lifelink

People got real upset when I did that because I gained a colossal amount of life, killed the board and won in a single turn

Oh yeah, that's him. He's pretty good too, especially with Norn on field at the same time.
The black card was Crovax the Cursed and Hero Ascendant the white one, and he's also in few cards, like Massacre. I always thought that Ascendant Evincar was him, too.

>tfw playing a really fun deck but I lose constantly
Give it to me straight, doctor
Is it shit?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-damned-featuring-gisa-geralf/

>If you're behind it evens the playing field
>If you're ahead it keeps you ahead
>Great art
>Great flavor

Here I am posting this again. I'm not sorry

Oh dude. Tango lands means 5 color domain is a lot better. Now if only there were more good domain cards.

My problem with domain is that a lot of domain cards are monocolored and don't synergize with other color matters cards.

5 color land types?

Ascendant Evincar is him too

I realize that, one of them decks was Fungus tribal. Still, I think Thelon is great, too and probably is with Ghave in the 99 anyway.
I wish I had some people I could play super casual games, without the retarded babby-tier politics people are pulling here all the time, like "Don't attack me, and I do x for you" or whatever. Fucking hate that shit.

>proceeds to go off by accident with doubling season/parallel lives
>inb4 don't run doubling season in a fucking token deck

Theron can't have Ghave in the 99, unlike vice versa. Man, I wish.

But yeah, casual is fun. I do encourage poor threat assessment if it'll get people to kill others, but never via bribery.

Obliterate, just because Barrin got mad. I also like Extinguish All Hope and Damnation for that sweet, sweet art. I'm sure there's bunch of others too.
Eh, I dunno, there's SOME, but if you want power, you're not building super jank combos anyway. Enlightened Tutor can find Bell and Expedition Map Urborg. If you really want them, there's Planar Portal and Ring of Three Wishes, which is fucking awful card either way.
I wish there was a land that was every land type, maybe one will come someday, but that's unlikely, and it'll probably be awful either way, like mythic that ETB's tapped and get's depletion counters or phases or something. I wish that Phasing was a thing still though.
Yeah, I figured it out just after posting that The Hero was colorshifted.

I don't run Doubling Season in anything. Shit is clearly busted. Parallel Lives is fine.

I mean, if you are gimping yourself, you gotta commit.

As long as you're having fun.

I had an idea for a utopia land just now. A sort of city of brass variant. It will need another balancing factor, but it might be fun.

I honestly kind of don't like Prismatic Omen effects in domain.dec. I mean, I'll run it anyway, but it feels like cheating in my mind, given how hard domain can be to set up with just lands.

I could run that shitty rare from RtR. That'd be fun. End up dying to landwalkers or the one ass who runs boil.

post you understated mvps

What kind of strategies go with this guy? I'd love to build him, but have no idea where to start.

Alright /edhg/ help me choose my next deck.

Be a faggot with High Tide Jace, or fuck myself over playing mono-white with newBruna?

Who's the most metal commander?

combo because he tutors for your combo creatures

Mogis. How is this a question.

He's either UG cancer goodstuff or combo since he's a repeatable tutor engine. Going to warn you right now, if you want variance in your games or get bored of playing out the game the same way almost every time, I wouldn't recommend him.

Could you give any examples for combos?

I like to play with good players and with newbies too, if they're willing to learn. I love teaching people.
Sometimes I hate poor threat assessment, like once when in 7 player pod everyone took the bait on Tempt with Discovery. It's been like over a year but I'm still salty about that, and worst of all, that card is total retard bait, since in a large game there is always some idiot who takes the bait and everyone follows, since they don't want to be left behind. Anyway, the guy that cast it won the next turn after my Armageddon was countered by another blue player who had bunch of sausage mana and only 4 or 5 lands.
Just yesterday I was playing with 3 pod with one retard I hate to play against, because I had to keep reminding him every goddamn turn about his Mana Crypt trigger and my Mogis, Shrieking Affliction and god knows how many triggers, he just bumrushes drawing cards and keeps complaining about "hate" when he's playing Niv-Mizzet infinite against Aurelia and Mogis.
Thanks for reading my blog.

Thinkin' about turning Atarka, World Render Dragons into Intet Dragons.

What stuff in URG should I put in besides a Niv-Mizzet or two?

What shitty rare?

What rare? I really want to like Domain, but there's so little good cards with it, likeCollective Restraint and Collapsing Borders, but the latter one is only good with Tainted Remedy or Rain of Gore.
Nice trips btw.

I know that feel, played last night with my group, we did a rotisserie with the decks and they cried about my mono red stax-ish deck was in there, game 1 I got a GB Jarad deck and one of the whiners got my R deck. I had flip Lili, Kokusho and Jarad on the field and the Oloro deck was building up a pillowfort so with no board state and no sandbagged lands in hand to play he cast Jokulhaups on curve. I ofc responded by saccing Koko, flipping Lili leaving me with a planeswalker, I plus her pitching Lord of Extinction and -5 her the next turn and 1 shot each player 1 by 1, crying ensues. Nextvgame the second guy got the deck and cast Obliterate when the Oloro guy has an Elspeth, Suns Champion in play, guess who won?
/blog
tldr people play MLD without a way to win after then cry about MLD being boring

Counterspells, Cyclonic Rift for starters. Scry effects. Sadly, there's no good Blue Dragons besides Keiga, Firemind and Spellbound Dragon

I'm looking for help with two of my decks.
Latest one is a Thromok deck, I think it needs more ramp. Explosive Vegetation is a must and I'm going to get one next time I go to my LGS.
Here's the list:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-08-16-nom-nom-nom/

Second one is Sharuum. I don't like how one of her wincons is Disciple of the Vault, since I can't interact with it a lot. He's not an artifact, after all.
I consider this to be my most competitive deck, but the only way to make it better is to spend lots of money, and I'm afraid I can't spend that much money on it. Currently trying to get more fetches.
Here's the list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/praise-sharuum/

And finally, I want to use Braids instead of Jalira. I know I have to remove a bunch of token makers, maybe the Polymorphs, but what would I add to the deck? Just a few Eldrazis and call it a day? Paradox Haze? Gate to the Aether for the similar effect?
Here's the decklist: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/become-a-kraken-a-self-help-deck/

Thanks in advance!

DO IT

Sarkhan, obviously.
Considering you're playing a deck with a lot of big creatures with all sorts of ETB triggers, you can have a lot of fun with clone cards. Progenitor Mimicking a Bogarden Hellkite or Thundermaw could be fun, you know?

Gravitational Shift. Do it. It'll be fun.

That's the one. I remember thinking how useless he was. I don't know if I am right. But the idea of casting Spawn of Thraxes in a 5 color deck is amusing to me.

>Gravitational Shift. Do it.
That seems really bad for 5 mana.

MLD is really good strategy though. Only the retards play it "for teh lulz" and it makes the games just awful. It's sad to see yet another Armageddon, when I have several mana rocks and board presence, while they have none. I count Back to Basics as MLD too, because for some reason people have huge fucking hardon for nonbasics and few people go as far as have 0 of them in a 3 colour deck, even replacing them with shitty lands, such as the Threshold lands from odyssey or whatever set they were from. And no, I don't mean Cephalid Coliseum, which is the only good one, I mean in Abzan colours.
Even more priceless is T1 Strip Mine on tapland to reveal that they kept a 1 land hand.

What would be some fun cards for a UR Shenanigans deck? Winning is secondary to fucking everything up.

Yeah, I love MLD but it feels really bad to watch someone misplay it, especially when they're misplaying your deck.

Expect a shitty list before the end of today.

While he's not that impressive, he's at least decent mana fixing and enables some funny stuff. I've seen worse 1 drops. With that, you need only 2 lands for all the types.

Please also run Urborg and Crusading Knight.

Best Bird Wizard coming through
Derevi can suck my nuts

I usually never lend my decks to anyone other than my significant other, since many of the cards are in moonrunes, nazispeak or anything other than english, hell, I think I have a Glory in arabic or whatever it is called. God bless MTG Familiar.
I have, but it's so cringeworthy to see bad misplays on your deck when people can't pilot them. Even the simple ones, like one friend couldn't fucking play Brion Stoutarm.

Can anyone direct me to some guides about political EDH decks/cards? I mean cards that influence others to not attack meattack others/act a certain way without being group-hug decks.

I really like things like vows, curses, bitter feud, tempting offer, etc.

Yeah, nah.

That's a safe bet, but I've known these guys for years, we were playing in my apartment, and all my decks are double sleeved so I'm pretty comfortable letting them play. I though red MLD was a pretty simple deck to play right though, dissapointing. You wouldn't believe how long it took to explain how Dualcaster Mage and Rite of Replication go infinite though.

he is considerably less cancer with the banning of prophet but still deserves all the hate he gets.

I used to have a momir deck, usually you want to get a infinite mana combo going (deadeye plus palinchrone mostly but there are others) and then go from there.

Any other staple combos that he's got?

mystic barrier bro

I feel you. I've had to explain how I've gone infinite with Ghave + Geralf's messenger + Ashnod's Altar and Karmic Guide + Saffi + Reveillark + sac outlet. Both took quite a few tried for them to understand. Oh yeah, I've had to explain Mike+Trike combo countless times too.

>Nobody at the table can stop a sorcery speed win on on turn 8

Basically, yeah. Outside of opponents with instant-speed creature removal spells or counterspells, they win as soon as it resolves. Kinda lame.

>What is Mana Acceleration or Boseiju

>People can only cast 8 mana spells on turn 8

Not quite.

>3 other people without artifact destruction or wasteland,stripmine,tec edge,encroaching wastes,ghost 1/4
Are you play group potato?

deadeye plus mystic snake isnt infinite but it does let you counter almost everything your opponents play.

The fact that it has flash. Its a fucking solid ability in general, but the fact that you can respond to a tutor with it is hilarious.

How easy/tough do you think it would be to switch a Godo deck over to Zurgo? The mana base and tutors would probably be the most expensive things, I could make do with some lesser beatsticks in place of the pricey Swords and Jitte

>I have always a counterspell and instant speed permanent removal in my hand
Besides, they can recur it if the first try gets botched.

>Is it impossible to disrupt?
No.

>Is it hard to use at all?
No.

>Is it an interesting or fun way to win?
No.

It's banned because it's so straightfoward and simple to use, not for power level concerns. It's one of the easiest "you win" cards of all.

This guy is sick in a Kangee deck.

Oh, boy, it's this argument again.
It's true that if someone has a Tec Edge they can slow down mana acceleration. It's true that if someone has a counterspell or instant speed removal to prevent Coalition Victory from triggering a win, you can circumvent a turn 8 win off it.

It's also possible to T3 Chaos Warp your land into an Kozilek and rape everyone at the table to death with it.

The problem comes from the fact that in a format with 100 card singleton decks, there's a chance that nobody will draw Tec Edge, or Ghost Quarter, or that people will save their K Grips for Wurmcoil Engines instead of Sol Rings. There's a chance that people might not draw removal for 8 turns, because luck is a part of this game. And with those chances comes the not insignificant chance that nobody will draw the exact cards that enable them to Stripmine the Boseiju, Path their only green creature, or Time Stop the Coalition Victory, and apparently some people believe that those chances are good enough that Coalition Victory is too strong.

The only way I could have any less sympathy for you was if you were claiming Prophet didn't deserve to be banned.

It's why I love modern Hatebears.
>T1 hierarch/birds
>T2 they crack a fetch, flash this
>Ghost Quarter with Crucible to fuck them completely
Good times.

Well, you can call me a lot of things for creating this abortion of a list, but you can't call me a liar.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bad-domain/

Did anyone say wizards?

I'M A WIZARD HAROLD
How are you a wizard? Do you even do magic all I see you do is finger insect rectums and brew potions all day.
GRBLBLBKVLLNBBBLLLLLLRRRR
Well fuck you're absolutely right, where do I sign up for some locust wings grafted on to my ass cheeks?

Not sure if this helps, but a real cheeky wincon I have seen with this guy is tutoring big fuckers/biovisionary with a deceiver of form out and proccing his ability.

Forgot the fucking picture like the idiot I am

How tough/pricey would it be to turn Godo into Zurgo? Mana base and tutors would probably be the most expensive part

I laughed, user.

>forgot the picture
>269x187

I did state I was an idiot, smug insect anime girl.

Also docent has turned into my favorite card from em.

been my fav since i was a wee lad

Apocalypse and Obliterate are nice but I absolutely adore pic related

Love the art on that card

I really hope he'll be a Legendary/Planeswalker/Flipwalker next time we see him

It would honestly fucking rule if Delver evolved and progressed so much that he became a legendary

>Legendary Eldrazi Insect Wizard

I don't think that would fit in the type-subtype line, but man does it sound fucking awesome. Holy shit.

It feels like a lot of great art after 1995 or so has been wasted on Magic cards where the picture is the size of a large stamp.