/ccg/ Custom Card Thread /cct/

Agents of Hate edition

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Scrubs

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/AwMel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Only people who at least know how to copy and paste are allowed in the new thread
Original character, do not steal.

This is undercosted, no?

Truly brilliant design. You should work at Wizards.

How about completely original cards with completely original themes?

You could cost this BB (maybe even 1B?) if you wanted, since it's generally a worse Murder.

Yeah but that takes effort.

>unless it is controller pays 2

Yeah, I noticed that just as I posted it. I'm a retard, your a winner.

It should be
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2.
Armament - If you control an equipped creture, counter that spell instead.

"Choose a card type from among permanents ..." should also work, but read cleaner. I don't think it's great, but it is an interesting design.

>Agents of Hate edition
Nice. I'll try to get at least one of them done for this thread. Any requests? Though I've already done Devil Dinosaur and Fin Fang Foom.

I always liked Equinox for being a case of future-predicting Magic.

It might be more fun to just have it be "Players can't sacrifice creatures."
More interactions, more interesting.

The text+frame bother me

Nah, the really fun/salty thing to do would be to make it so they can't sacrifice permanents, not just creatures. Blood Moon may turn off fetches and leaves you a Mountain, but that has Split Second so you can't fetch in response, and they're useless once it lands.

Also, blanket preventing sacrifice makes Ball Lightning creatures rather dangerous, and has a few weird cases where you can cause an infinite loop by accident. Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder is one of them.

/co/user, why are your cards so respectful of the source material while integrating easily into the language and design of Magic?
All I see everywhere else is shit like imgur.com/a/AwMel and that equally terrible Star Wars set that floated around for a bit.

Criticism. When people here make cards, the majority of the time they get criticized in one way or another, and since we are entirely anonymous its less likely that we'll be too proud to fix things.

>You may spend colorless mana as though it was mana of any color to cast Sliver spells.
is how I would word that effect.

I'd love to print this as "target nonland permanent" but it would be way too straightforward of enchantment removal. Recoil gets away with it because your opponent either has to be out of cards or choose to discard it.

That's a lot cleaner than trying to hack convoke text. thanks.

Does the more difficult targeting make flash acceptable, or should i just replace the first strike for it? I also considered 1BB with no flash.

Flash with First Strike is often a kind of removal in and of itself. Something that can kill an attacker and also manually kill something else is value city.

Yea, that's where i was stuck. The etb is much more restrictive, but flash on top of the normal first strike seemed iffy. Would a non flash version be ok at 1BB?
I'm also debating on 1/1 or 2/1 for pic related.

Far too synergy dependent to be interesting, especially as a legendary mythic. The last ability just makes combat math extra clunky.

Dumb complexity, ho! Also probably unbalanced as fuck. The idea is that your opponent can steal it out from under you, but no matter what, you and your opponent need to "give up" three creatures.

You're spending 4 mana in two colors, three sacrifices, and risking it being stolen from you, all to draw three cards.

Me? I just cast Concentrate.

We can't all be Blue mages! Maybe I'll just make it cheaper. Or scrap the idea entirely.

Needs some art and for someone to verify I've worded all that correctly.

>Cast ~ only during your turn and only during combat.
>Untap all attacking creatures and remove them from combat. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase.

>After this phase, there is an additional combat phase.

See something like Aurelia for example.

Fixed!

I've got a Godo EDH deck so worded the last part similar to his card but didn't think to check the oracle text.

Now as to actual design of the card, how's it feel?

I'm messing around with a poison theme obviously, so the last ability is essentially turning -1/-1 counters into +2/+2, a stronger version of an effect on a handful of creatures as a mythic legendary.

That being said, does v3 feel better?

Might be too cheap. Gustcloaking is a sub-1 CMC ability (see Reconnaissance), but the extra combat phase is relevant for "whenever ~ attacks..." style triggers.

Also, this reminds me that it needs an additional timing restriction to not be abusable:
>Cast ~ only during your turn, only during combat, and only before the combat damage step.
Creatures are attacking up until the end of combat, so you can attack, deal damage, cast Scout's Report to untap your creatures, and have another combat step. Which I don't think is what you want from "Gustcloak, the Instant".

>Cast ~ only during your turn, only during combat, and only before the combat damage step.
On second thought, probably
>Cast ~ only during your turn, and only during combat before the combat damage step.

Hadn't thought about being able to cast it after damage step, as you can tell the idea was "swing with the squad," opponent tries something dastardly, "woah there boys let's think about this."

Also, found some artwork.

I've got a question.
So I have this effect:
Deal X damage divided as you choose among five target creatures.

How do I properly add text that says minimum damage should be 1 and maximum 5 or something like that?

Rightmost version has a problem, the first ability makes you play both poison and non-poison cards, which is not only really bad, it also has a way to small payoff.
The second ability is only usefull if you're playing against a very certain type of deck, or if you're willing to jump through some hoops - again, the payoff is too small.

I like both of the other versions, but the mechanic with the +3/+3 feels more unique. Why not combine the other two versions, is it too wordy?
Players would love feelig clever for putting the -1s on their own creature, but it might also make for interesting decision making.

I actually had them combined for a bit, but i had issues coming up with a P/T and -1/-1 ratio that worked out to feeling both adequate as a weakening effect and not ridiculous if they were all self targeted.

For example, i had it at a 3/3 that did 3 -1/-1s for 6cmc, but if they all targeted itself that became a 9/9, which felt a tad too big.
The easy solution is going back to +2/+2 per counter, but that would only match the strength of a handful of other cards, rather than feeling like the best version of them.
That being said, this is the best "mixed" version i could get in my head for now, and if you think it seems better i might just leave it here.

Oh, i should also note.
While its still in the very early stages, the set is made to revolve around -1/-1s and poisoning, but NOT have infect or a similar mechanic. Most cards will, at most, reference being poisoned or not. It would be possible to win with poison counters, but most cards would add 1 at most, so it would take recursion, bouncing, or comboing to really make it happen.

I'm thinking his cost is either too low for what he does or his ult is too over powered. Any thoughts?

His cost is too low for just his plus 1, ignoring everything else.

My take on Rem Karolus. Basically a fatter Ambush Viper that turns into a complete monster as long as your opponent has Delirium.

The problem with using multiple types of Phyrexian mana is that it fucks over colorblind people. Super minor thing, but that's the reason Wizards never did it.
I love the design, though. P-mana should only ever have been in black.

First from the Nextwave group. And yes, the tap ability will basically deal 2 damage on the first activation.

There's a cool concept lurking in here, but I think you missed the mark. Stacking boom counters on a creature is hardly going to matter since that creature would soon be dead - if a shock is not enough to kill it, the follow up bolt will.

Hmm. Well, my other idea was to have Tabitha deal X damage to each of the creatures on your upkeep. Is that any better? My other other idea was a chain-damage ability, where if any source hit a creature with a boom counter on it, it would hit all the other creatures with boom counters on them.

Needs context. Functional design. Developmentally seems fine.
Eh. I'm not really feeling it. It's a hate card that really isn't even good when the hate is turned on.
Nice anti-affinity critter. Would've been nice to have around in old Mirrodin. Archer/reach is confused flavor though - doesn't really play nice with the text.
Printable.
This is just straight up a worse Murder. Also it's not very fun for either player. Remember - giving choice to your opponent is always inherently weaker than not giving choice to the opponent.
Interesting concept, but I don't really know if Armament is a mechanic that should be in blue.
Split Second is nice. It seems fine, but probably too narrow to ever see play.
/yawn
I like how you need blue to move it around, but this is going to lead to some unfun as hell gameplay. Refer to Lorwyn and activated ability creep.
Nice use of devoid, but god this card is unfun for the enemy player when it works.
Neat
This is so clunky it hurts.
Very cool. I don't know if this is fine developmentally, but the flavor is there.
Damn. Nice. Really nice.
Seems redundant - very context dependant. Individually not too strong of a design.
This card is a noob trap. Poison+non-poison don't mix.
Eh, not enough cards to poison yourself with and not enough of a reward to do so. Also very boring if you're not poisoned. Why would you ever put this in a deck?
Christ in a handbasket, this is so poorly thought out. Seems like very unfun and swingy. Also too weak, compare to Ambition's Cost.
I've seen this design done before and better.
Neat
Don't design Planeswalkers before you know what you're doing.
Neat.

>Needs context
Elaborate, please.

It's a hard card to evaluate without seeing what the other cards are in the set. It's boring and functional, but it might be exactly what you need.

If Ob Nixilis got some of his old power back.

Oh, didn't see this the first time. Well, I think a lot of it has to do with what said. I really value feedback and can realize when what I want is not necessarily the best for a given card. If you want to make cards that adapt something, just know that you don't have to include every single little detail, because there is a point where slavish devotion to flavor can ruin a card mechanically.

There's also the fact that I'm pretty well-versed in the wordings and mechanics of Magic, and will often compare what I'm doing to actual Magic cards. The SSB cards in the Imgur you posted are just... there is so much wrong with them, just on a mechanical level. Then you get to the color pie and they just rip it in half. 20XX, for example, is a super Red ability, because it represents Red's "Don't plan ahead, use everything now" mindset. Blue is the color least likely to tap all its lands, because it tends to leave lands untapped so it can counter stuff. Because Blue is really the most reflexive color of the bunch, since its counters are removal with a very narrow window of opportunity.

Then you get to the actual characters and... oh lord. I'm not even super familiar with a lot of these characters, because really, who's played Ice Climbers? But shit like Samus and Shiek, for example, really bug me.

And the fact that the guy doesn't know that ability words go before costs kinda pisses me off.

>Hobnail Skeletons
I'd change the trigger to make it more flexible, like triggering whenever you sac it, like
>When you sacrifice ~, you may pay B. If you do, return it to the battlefield tapped under your control.
Notice how Wizards didn't make Exploit triggers like this in DTK, but they made a lot of creatures with death triggers in DTK and FRF to support it. Also, if you do go this route, either include a mana cost or recur it at the end step, or you have something that goes infinite with sac outlets.

...Why would anyone copy this?

>...Why would anyone copy this?
In response to tricks to save creatures (return to hand, indestructible) or to get around sticky creatures (with Undying, Regenerate or Persist), is what I would assume.

I think the dominant factor in a lot of custom sets is an excess of imagination and dearth of restraint. I'm guilty of this myself, because sometimes I make some truly terrible cards () based on some random idea (A draw effect that your opponent can steal from you! Counterplay! Interaction!) or art and never stop to think whether or not its a terrible card or not. But I refuse to believe that every card that R&D comes up with is a brilliant, well-written, balanced card from day 0, and so, while "fling shit at a wall until something sticks" isn't a great design philosophy, sometimes you have to show people shit so they can refine it into something better.

>I think the dominant factor in a lot of custom sets is an excess of imagination and dearth of restraint.
Have Veeky Forums anons completed a lot of sets? I would think that it's not something that happens a lot.

I would say there have been at least half a dozen (apocryphally) completed sets on Veeky Forums. And there are several more if you're willing to get past LE REDDIT hate and go to /r/custommagic. Some of them are somewhat terribad, like the SSB, Dark Souls, and Star Wars ones, but there's some original sets. I know Lorado just finished up design and is in playtesting now, which is a "Wild West plane" set, AFAIK.

I haven't seen cards from any of those sets posted here. Are they all old?

probably done before

Why is it an artifact?

I don't want him to start out with a protection from a color and I'm too unimaginative to come up with anything else

Just have it be colorless

Just make it a colorless creature?

I would cost it down and reduce the P/T

no idea how balanced this is

inb4
>Gold tokens are black only reeeeeeeee

The more egregious thing is probably a GR flier, and looting instead of rummaging.

Looting seems to be allowable in Red if the discard is random.

Second ability is rather off-color. White doesn't counter things, it prevents them from being cast.

See Frontline Medic

Have the first ability just check cmc to make it line up with the second. No need to make repeatable removal even better. There's also nothing particularly red about this.

Still seems rather off. Frontline Medic counters a very specific type of spell (for flavor reasons, often burn spells). Just CMC 5 or greater is a much wider array of spells.

Any reason to change the ability besides a desire for symmetry? If power level is a concern, I can tweak the costs.
>Not red
Cards don't necessarily need disparate components from each of their colors to be multicolored. See cards like Centaur Healer or Skyknight Legionnaire. Multicoloring can be a cost or flavor consideration as well.
Then also see Judge's Familiar, which hits all instant and sorcery spells. Hybrid blue/white means acceptable in both mono blue and mono white.

GW Centaur Healer gains you life (which is both green and white) on an aggressively costed early body (again both green and white). RW Skynight Legionnaire is a hasty (red) flyer (white). Both are also commons.

Blade of the Masses is a mono-white card where the only thing red does is reduce the cmc. And it's a rare. If you want to waste your gold equity on cards like these, by all means go ahead. But you will be doing your set a disservice.

I'm beginning to understand the flavor-side of white soft-countering (sacrificing itself to take the blow), but again of the two most recent cards with the effect, it's incredibly narrow. Only restricted by CMC 5 or greater doesn't quite fit.

Outside of EDH, CMC 5+ is a substantial restriction.

Alms Beast could be mono-white
Anafenza the Foremost could be mono-white
Ashen Rider could be mono-white OR mono-black
Blitz Hellion could be mono-red

All at rare or above, and the list goes on. This is standard gold card design for a multicolored set, and by no means would be doing my set a disservice. The UG faction in my set goes tall, and is opposed by the RW faction with effects like that one.
I would agree with that CMC 5+ is a suitable restriction.

How do you do colorless mana?

Shouldn't that have defender?

>Ashen Rider could be mono-white OR mono-black

Of course, mono-black artifact and enchantment removal. That's a thing that does happen.

Install the update for colorless mana. After that you can do it with symbolized "C" or through the menu.

Why?

Alsm Beast could be mono white. Or mono black. It's a hybrid card masquerading as a gold card. (As a downside creature it's way more black than white.)
Anafenza could be mono white, but her abilities are white/green and white/black. There's something in her you could point to that's green, and something you can say is black.
Ashen Rider CANNOT be mono white or mono black. White cannot remove lands, and black cannot remove artifacts or enchantments. Together they can.

There is literally nothing about Blade of the Masses that's red. There's nothing about Aneketian Idols that's blue (other than that it's an artifact?).

My mistake, I read too quickly and assumed creature exile, which would be either color. But the point still stands.

They don't look like they can move around and attack.