Let's talk more about the best format.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-16-ddft/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/surgical-delver/
claymath.org/millennium-problems/riemann-hypothesis
mtgvault.com/sparkygravity/decks/gorillaape-tribal/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is there so much doomsday on these threads, I hardly see people play it IRL

because there's only 3-4 people who actually make Legacy threads, and ~15-20 who post in them. It's really unfortunate because the format is really great.

Basically this. I'm a DDFT player, and I make about 50% of the legacy threads these days. I usually use doomsday as the op pic.

Playing UB Tezzeret
from what I've played I feel like Miracles is a good matchup for me, Tezzeret kills Jace really well since he can make 5/5's that can attack immediately. Having trouble vs DRS decks and Jund though, feels like they have so many answers and it just gets worse when we go to sb. DRS decks just go over my Bridges, ended up putting an EE in the mb to deal with them. I have a singleton Trini in the mb that I can Transmute for, saved me more than once and comes out of the blue to win games, feels pretty good in silverbullets.dec.

I think the tezz deck is criminally underplayed. It's highly adaptable and can be tweaked to beat almost anything. As long as you can predict your meta it's a strong choice.

Ah makes sense

On another note how do you guys feel about your miracle match up? Any tips on how to play against your deck? I've never played it before but I don't really know he I'd play against it.

7th for Death and Taxes is best deck.

To clarify, I'm the second guy and not a DDFT player but it's a combo deck, as long as you watch out for the warning signs you should be able to beat it.

Doomsday actually has a very good miracles matchup. Game 1 you just have to try to power through their countermagic. There isn't usually that much of it game 1. Many miracles decks have something of a hole at 3cmc that can let you resolve doomsday through counterbalance. You can slow-roll disruption heavy lab maniac piles, and put abrupt decay (if you maindeck 1) in piles as well. Post board it's even easier. Shelldock Isle and Emrakul come in, as well as your remaining abrupt decays. I play a couple xantid swarm too. If you can fire off a quick doomsday, emmy usually does the trick. Xantid swarm is a must counter spell, if it resolves you'll probably win. In a pinch, it's possible to build piles that can power out a tendrils through lots of countermagic by stacking lots of disruption and just waiting 5 turns to draw it all and then going for it. Doomsday is about a turn slower than ANT on average, but it benefits more from a long game. It can work around tons of hate, but time is a serious constraint. Miracles usually gives you that time.

To beat doomsday, there is just 1 rule: don't let doomsday resolve. I can't count the number of times people have let me resolve doomsday thinking they could get a free win with a well-timed counterspell, only to have it not matter. The number of games I've won without resolving doomsday is very small. It's possible to make a bunch of mana, loop some SDT's, and burning wish for a natural tendrils kill, but it's rare.

My current list for reference: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-03-16-ddft/

I'm a Delver Player playing three copies of pic related in the maindeck. It is always dope.

You're the kind of person I hate.

List, for reference.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/surgical-delver/

Lots more people play Legacy than those that seem to want to talk about Legacy.
It's not just here, Salvation, Tappedout and Reddit's Legacy forums/threads are also barren.

Personally, I'd rather play legacy then talk about it.

The Source is where all the legacy discussion is. But even that place isnt super active. And yet SCG gets 700 people out to play legacy in a shithole like Worcester.

That's why I bought into mtgo. Now I don't have to rely on my weak-ass local scene for hot legacy action.

Working on leaving the kitchen table and going further into legacy. Any suggestions/changes for the main deck and sideboard?

So far I have 4x cabal therapy, 2x surgical extraction, 1 artisan of kozilek, 1 eldesh norn in the sideboard (have not really finished making it yet). I've looked at other legacy decks in mtg top 8 and looked at mtg goldfish to get an idea of cards that are played a lot in the legacy format and the meta, if you guys have any additional info that'd be cool.

Looks nice, what's going on on that playmat though?

It's one of Riemann's first letters where he states his hypothesis.

claymath.org/millennium-problems/riemann-hypothesis

My golgari grave-troll got hit by that in delver. I think my exact words were, 'Who the hell plays that? In Delver?'.

Rad.

it's `le hardest deq` meme

It's fun to sit around and solitaire while you wait for people to post in legacy threads, but I have no idea how well I can pull off piles IRL because even in a major city, I don't know people who play Legacy

Anyone have any rare/homebrewed storm variants that are remotely competitive besides ant and tes?

So I've been out of the loop for a few months, what happened to Shardless? Seems like it's dropped a shitton in metagame %.

>new Emrakul

Why though

Becuase I play kitchen table. It's a fatty I can throw out just for shits and giggles.

Planning on replacing it in more serious games.

I play it as part of the mana denial package. Wasteland your dual, surgical the rest. Stifle the fetch, surgical the rest.
Additionally, mainboard surgicals make graveyard decks cry a little inside, especially in matchups where Deathrite can be too slow, ie Dredge/ANT.

>Anyone have any rare/homebrewed storm variants that are remotely competitive besides ant and tes?

No, but I enjoy watching poor people play Sac Lands Tendrils; it's so dumb it's beautiful

>pay to win general

Burn has a really high win rate in legacy and is also one of the cheapest decks.
Congrats on making me care enough to call you out on being retarded.

Implying every card came ever made isint.

"Non-traditional" storm variants include: DDFT, SI, High Tide, Cheerios, and Dragonstorm.

Effectiveness not guranteed.

DDFT is generally even slower than ANT, but is more resilient so should work in a fair meta. SI is just worse Belcher.

>SI is just a worse belcher
Broadly speaking I agree, but it does have some advantages. When it "goes off" it kills, unlike belcher's empty's. And it recovers from disruption better because of the draw 4 engine. Still not good though.

In a t1-2 deck the >when is pretty crucial, Belcher does this with a whole lot more consistency and also doesn't lose to random lighting bolts/delver swings after killing itself with draw 4s.

Forgot to mention how ETW beats Force of Will, something SI never does.

pay 2 play the best format

So much salt.
You know you just throw money on the board until you win.

So how do you even win with DDFT?
Is the goal to just find five cards + your hand that can get you to nine storm and cast Tendrils?

I'm building reanimator for my group that loves to play multiplayer.

What reanimate targets are some of the best that I could run for a multiplayer setting besides elesh and chancellor?

Jin is a good one for multiplayer, Kokusho might be good as well.

It That Betrays.

Sire of Insanity makes removal pretty hard and lets you dump your hand

Pretty much. Most lists also run lab maniac, so you can win when tendrils can't. Doomsday is a single card storm engine that also can tutor up silver bullets to beat hate. Basically, it trades the speed of other storm decks for increased consistency, resilience, and the ability to beat a wider variety of hate.

I really like doomsday and If i ever get into legacy, thats where i want to be. Do you recommend i jump straight into it or start with some other storm variant?

Just jump right in. I don't think it is really that difficult, or similar enough to other storm decks to bother with others. You'll learn how to cantrip and shit along the way. It cantrips differently than other storm decks, and the combo lines are quite a bit different from something like ANT. Just don't underestimate the cantripping. That's where you'll make the most mistakes in real play. And don't get discouraged when you lose to yourself. It happens.

cheers. Now I just need to find a few grand. I've played around with it a little on cockatrice, but I'm disappointed that there's not much coverage of it on scg opens and the like.

That's because there's not enough competent players that play the deck in major events. Most people who play it take easier decks to major events because playing more than 6 rounds with the deck can be pretty taxing.

Not if I throw 50ยข Counterspells their way bucko.

1. Wow you know nothing about legacy
2. Wow you know nothing about TCGs
3. What is Xmage/cockatrice and proxies

Is there any reason to run red instead of blue? Even on budget it seems to be better idea imo. What are the therapies for? How about faerie macabre to SB? Anyway, seems like you are having a good base for the deck already. Personally would run whole set of griselbrand. It's just so busted.

>Is there any reason to run red instead of blue?
Mainly budget, but you're right, I probably should have gone to blue. Maybe I'll do it in the future.

>cabal therapy
I currently use them to get cards out of my opponents hands and send creatures in my hand to my graveyard.

>griselbrand
I've seen a a lot of reanimator decks that run 4 griselbrand in them and are successful. The only reason I run two is because I have not had any issues getting them into play consistently within my playgroup. If it becomes an issue when I get to more competitive matches I'll take your advice and put in two more.

Fairy Macabre seems like it would be an interesting outlet for graveyard hate. But I must ask what situations would you use it for? (Like is it good against dredge or something, I'd imagine it would be good against other reanimator decks)

Like you said it, faerie is good against other graveyard decks. It's not hardcore in the way many other cards are, but it's easier when you are trying to hit your own game plan in the first few turns.

I think the point with 4 griselbrands is you getting one in the opening hand and saving entomb for situational bomb. Might be more like UB thing as it matters for them to draw 7 cards to hit FoW for protection.

One more idea, get a card that can get rid off troublemakers. Like Ashen rider or Tidespout tyrant(?) for things like ensnaring bridge. Or if you go with griselbrand draw route, maybe abrupt decays..... If it's possible to get green from somewhere. Like from petal or bayou.

Oh nvm, noticed you play gemstones, so you are good to go. Technically it hardly matters even if you ran fetches and shocklands in reanimator. Probably better than rainbow lands.

I didn't know about Tidespout Tyrant or Ashen Rider, I'll get one of each of those.

Abrupt Decay is already on my buy list. Probably get two of them for safe measure.

Just adding on, it's also hard to count Macabre short of stifling it.

Good point.

I want to like Legacy as a format but then my opponent gets to play first drops ancient tomb chalice. wat do?

Get rid of it and proceed your game plan.

Laugh at them because you're playing dredge

then lose games 2 and 3

Force of Will
Ingot Chewer
Show and Tell
Dredge
Abrupt Decay
Cavern of Souls

.....theeeeen you realize you can't abuse draws when chalice is on table and can't use cabal therapy from gy.

If they don't also drop a threat simply wait until you can get rid of it and then go off. That if you are playing a good deck.

What is DDD, Breakthrough for 1 and yes you fucking cast Cabal Therapy since vs not-combo resolving it isn't too important since it nets zombies anyway.
Git gud son, Eldrazi is a bye.

Anyone here play meme decks i'm buying this tomorrow for $15 buckaroos on tcgplayer i'm gonna call it the Harambe deck.
mtgvault.com/sparkygravity/decks/gorillaape-tribal/

Phyrexian mana was a mistake. No colors outside of black should be able to play SE. And even then, playing it should cost 2 life on top of B.

Play a deck that doesn't fold to chalice 1, or play answers to chalice.

>because the format is really great.
>literal $200 lands
>no proxies allowed in official tournaments
Sooo great.

Win without ever casting a 1-cmc spell.

That's not the problem, the problem is that they do not allow proxies AND they do not put out any more copies.

If they were printing on demand Volcanic Islands and selling them at $300, they would be:

* putting a long term hard cap on their price
* making it possible for more people to reliably buy them without getting scammed
* ensuring long term life of the format because no more old cards risk of disappearing from the market because people stockpile them/stop playing and never sell them

Just ordered the mana base for TES from Villa Zheng, has anyone here had success running bootlegs at bigger-than-FNM tournies? My plan is to rough em up and try them out at some proxies-allowed casual events at first and see if they fly under the radar.

I witnessed a kid get dq'd from the scg worcester main event for having a fake manabase. Someone noticed, reported it, he got deckchecked, and got dq'd.

>Wow this is expensive and I can't afford it so that means the game play is bad waaaaaah

My local shop trying to get legacy running in the wake of EMA. Is Nic fit absolute garbage? It looks fun at least.

There is literally no way you can justify the current price levels created by "investors" buying hundreds of Moat to spike prices from 300$ to 600$.

Combo pretty much runs over it unless you can land the world's fastest hatebears (Teeg/Thalia) but it's pretty good vs midrange/delver since it has access to pfire+grove and can go over the top with veteran explorer, which has mad synergy with cabal therapy, ramping into walkers or Sigarda/Ulamog, which are hard for decks without permission to deal with. Not sure about the Miracles MU but I'd imagine it's south of 50, the deck being tier 0 and all that.

The miracles matchup is actually good, probablu 60-40 in nic fit's favor. The deck does have a shit combo matchup. Just sideboard heavily if you expect combo.

You're right I can't, but still show me the logic behind it being a garbage format? So you're saying if all magic formats were that expensive they wouldn't be fun anymore? Just because of the price increase?

>the deck being tier 0 and all that
Can this meme fucking die already. It was fucking annoying 3 weeks ago it's just kicking a dead horse now

I'm not the user you were originally arguing with, and I do think Legacy is a fun format, let me tell you what's garbage

Until Wizards stop catering to greedy companies and investors by honoring the Reserved List and refusing to reprint other staples at a reasonable supply, the only escape from their claws is to embrace proxies and shun sanctioned tournaments. Why would you want to play along with the system when the system is doing everything it can to screw you over? Fuck the system; print proxies and have fun.

have you tried getting a job instead of becoming a communist, son?

even macdonalds hire retards these days, so you've got a chance.

Middle class capitalist drones are so qt.

>Slaving away hours to give money to jews in order to ask them for permission to do something you can do for free without asking for permission
Freedom cannot be bought without first being stolen.

Birdie sanders is a sellout, good luck with the communist dystopia

Word of advice for future legacy threads: just don't respond to the "pay to win general" poorfag assclowns.

I just want a steady ingress of wizards printed supply of reserved list cards, prices can stay like they are now.

I really olshoyld stop falling for the obvious bait

on one hand i'm happy with this spike in certain cards since my collection value has skyrocketed, on the other hand i will never seel anything ever.

>only sold 1 card before

Who /elf/ here? Thinking about getting into Turbo Depths as well, Spirit Guides + Lotus Petals + Not of this World in a deck that's been putting up real results? Sign me up!

>thinking those reprints won't go for $150
WEW lad

read your post wrong thought you meant reprinting $300 dollar lands disregard my post

I'm so torn between RB and UB reanimator.

On one hand, faithless looting is amazing. On the other, brainstorm, ponder, and daze are amazing.

And I'm too poor to buy a playset of FoWs

if you're too poor to buy forces, aren't you also too poor to buy underground seas?

and then they throw a Force of will on your face.

>proxies

Potential Nic fit player here, the only decks I'm aware that are played locally are ported modern merfolk, d&t hatebears, and 2 flavors of not-dredge reanimator. I don't have groves or lilis, does any of this result in "give up"?

>All of this in order to play a children card game where each print costs 0.5 cents to make

based retard

No. Just don't play punishing nic fit. Lili isn't that good in nic fit. If you want to cast walkers, i've seen the new Sorin see play.

Yeah, but I just run watery graves instead

Cool,I was kind of liking the lists from last year? I think? It aimed at landing quick Grave and Prime Times and just looked pretty fun overall. Thanks /legacy/, I think I'm gonna go for it and start eBaying for Bayous