EDH/Commander general

Big fat butts edition

OLD: RESOURCES:
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING:
>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SGT6R8P_rl4
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/might-of-the-triggers-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=MwzMuuGOsVI
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-a-f-e-t-y-d-a-n-c-e-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-t-a-y-i-n-a-l-i-v-e/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-o-u-b-l-e-v-i-s-i-o-n/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-t-a-l-k-i-n-g-h-e-a-d-s/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/f-r-e-e-z-e-f-r-a-m-e/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/m-u-s-h-r-o-o-m-s-a-m-b-a/
youtube.com/watch?v=vkOJ9uNj9EY
youtube.com/watch?v=5VG4z2L93ik
youtube.com/watch?v=SevR3wSypQ8
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-20-plunder-the-graves-upgrade
youtube.com/watch?v=3V9zxXN1rx0
youtube.com/watch?v=OztC_7nkAd8
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ertais-wild-ride/
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/217012-saffi-eriksdotter-and-friends
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We need to find a replacement for magiccards.info.

It still shows Khans and Fate Reforged as Standard-legal, and two weeks later Eldritch Moon still isn't on it.

Post your favorite deck and that deck's theme song.

Maelstrom Wanderer
>Momil Ramo by Iqbal Jogi
youtu.be/SGT6R8P_rl4

Yes, I feel like a telepathic snake charmer. The whole deck is about value and double dropping bombs with Maelstrom that I can tutor to the top before both cascade triggers, or after the first one hits.

They don't have Eternal Masters either. Their card images are so much better than anything else though, that's the main reason I use them

Hello friends I'm still looking for feedback on this turbocasual deck I've been refining. The only other people that see it are my playgroup and I've gotten as many opinions as I can from them

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/might-of-the-triggers-1/

Oh, I've loved them for years because their client is silky smooth, their advanced search page is easy to use, and it runs quick. But it consistently lags weeks behind on new sets, and it's been getting worse and worse. There's got to be an alternative.

I feel like I'm cheating here because all of my decks are named after songs or bands.

Because I decided to name all my decks like they were 「 S T A N D S 」.

youtube.com/watch?v=MwzMuuGOsVI

Godo. I either kill the table in one turn or die a horrible death

My only trouble with the advanced search is that try as I might, I can't get it to search multiple types as an "or" figure, like instant OR sorcery. That's probably because I'm retarded though

Decks I actually have built right now
>Treva Enchantress Pillowfort/Superfriends
「 S A F E T Y D A N C E 」
>Trostani lifegain/big tokens
「 S T A Y I N ' A L I V E 」
>Mizzix spellslinging, no storm
「 G R A N D M A G U S 」
>Ruric Thar all dudes
「 T H E T A L K I N G H E A D S 」
>Gitrog lands
「 N O T E A S Y B E I N G G R E E N 」
>Reaper King Clone tribal
「 D O U B L E V I S I O N 」

Decks in progress
>Ghave Saproling tribal
「 M U S H R O O M S A M B A 」
>Vela Unblockables
「 D A N C I N G I N T H E D A R K 」
>Ojutai winter-themed
「 F R E E Z E F R A M E 」

Care to post lists?

Rolled 10 (1d12)

Alright, I've got 6 lists kinda shat out, lets see which one I'm gonna build first

>1/7 WBG Anafenza
>2/7 Sidisi Zombie Tribal
>3/9 Selvala Enchantress
>4/10 Treva the Renewer color hate
>5/11 Karrthus Dragon Tribal
>6/12 Sun Quan Mono-Blue Bullshit

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-a-f-e-t-y-d-a-n-c-e-1/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-t-a-y-i-n-a-l-i-v-e/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/d-o-u-b-l-e-v-i-s-i-o-n/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-t-a-l-k-i-n-g-h-e-a-d-s/

I haven't put Mizzix or Gitrog onto Tappedout yet

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/f-r-e-e-z-e-f-r-a-m-e/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/m-u-s-h-r-o-o-m-s-a-m-b-a/

Volrath, The Fallen
youtube.com/watch?v=vkOJ9uNj9EY

I have a Bear Tribal EDH deck with Kamahl, fist of Krosa as my commander

youtube.com/watch?v=5VG4z2L93ik

>guy in my playgroup has had nothing but an Animar for over a year
>really enjoys EDH when he plays
>he and I buy our own boxes of SOI and EDM when they release
>pulls alot of good stuff
>finally gets that RG wolf legendary guy, not a great card but he's been wanting to do a wolf tribal for awhile
>encourage him to begin work on it
>2 weeks pass and ask him how it's been going
>hasn't worked on it at all
>FTV: Lore is spoiled
>he wants to get it mainly for Memnarch
>so he can put it in his Animar

What do I do, /edh/?

Why is this card not banned?

>Triple Digit life
>At least 20 +1/+1
>Hexproof, Indestructable, Vigilance, and all other kinds of fun auras

I'M FUCKING INVINCIBLE
youtube.com/watch?v=SevR3wSypQ8

I don't know but I'm ordering one now.

I mean, as long as he keeps updating it I suppose it's fine. Better than using the same, unchanged deck for years

He has enough cards at this point though that he could probably build two decent other decks. He hardly ever plays standard. I don't know what his problem is.

Weird unique lines of play that have all been done to death. The nice thing about having an efficient boring general like Jenara and Anafenza is it gives you a bit more freedom to do jank, as you at least have a decent creature to block and attack as a fallback when your trash deck concept didn't work out.

Like, say I want to make Abzan Constellation.dec. None of the 5 general fit. Sure, I could pick Doran or Karador as the cards themselves are more interesting, but people will always ask "oh, it is a Doran deck, why aren't you running blah?" or worse, you'll gradually start to cut away from your initial concept.

Plus, for something janky like Constellation, you want to have a creature on the field to get your effects, well, you don't want a cmc 6 general as your fallback.

That's why I support "boring" generals. I built a Bant deck based on populating token copies I make using spells like Suppant Form. No general fits that. I could go Roon, as a lot of effects that synergize with populating synergize with Roon, but Roon is 5 mana, paints a target on my back, gives people the wrong idea of the deck and when I need a creature turn 3 to block because I drew all my populate but no token makers, I don't have him.

Janky scrubby EDH, accept the boring general! The real jank is in your heart, not in your commander!

If he's like me he really hates building decks. I have 5 different decks and it takes me about a month to actually build them just because I find it tedious

Dude, Karador enchantress is fun as shit with the Constellation dudes.

For me it's a comes-and-goes inspiration thing. I'll sit on the decks I have just making minor tweaks as sets come out for like a year because nothing interests me, and then a single card inspires me to actually build a new deck.

It was just an example. Especially if you want to not have a graveyard component, allowing you to run, Planar Void, Ground Seal (though, that doesn't affect Karador, does it), Rest in Peace.

Plus, you won't need slots devoted to filling your yard.

Is Riku of the Two Reflections a good deck for the Timmy who loves big creatures and the Johnny who loves big combos?

It lets you do big dumb things twice, what do you think?

Looking good, you have Realms Uncharted in Gitgud Frog? I've always wanted to make a deck with Realms but never really had a good opportunity.

how did Gaea's Herald not make the cut in creatures.dec? Where is your Craterhoof

Big dumb things twice means....TWO CRATERHOOF BEHEMOTHS

I do, because that card is just stupid. Tutor for 2 good lands, and get a Gitrog draw on top of it.

Gaea's Herald isn't there because I didn't think of it. I think I like Shusher better, and there's not enough counters in my area to need both.

I intentionally left out Craterhoof because I don't like it.

Is this a good upgrade both card-wise and price-wise for my Daxos deck? I cut Wrath of God to save money. (The kraken is for a Kiora casual brew involving Ula's Temple)

As a Timmy, I avoid generals that are "answer this or die" because it tends to ruin my experience. You end up being bummed out because you can never do that cool thing you built the deck for.

Kinda the same for me. I like my decks to function better WITH the commander than without, but if the deck literally falls apart without the commander then it's not fun for me.

Can Riku still win with the value and big creatures in the deck though or is he typically the reason you win with the deck?

So has anyone played this deck? How is it? I'm considering using it but if its better to build from scratch even on a budget then i won't bother.

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-20-plunder-the-graves-upgrade

Any good x cost red/green spells for mina and den?

>mfw reading through the current Standard meta
Oh boy am I glad I got out

>The real jank is in your heart
You brightened my day, user.

Karametra
>Gehrman, The First Hunter's theme from Bloodborne
youtube.com/watch?v=3V9zxXN1rx0
Grows incredibly strong as the match progresses, landfall triggers going nuts, mild group hug and then blow out when it's only me and one of my mates left.

Anafenza, The Foremost
>Duel of Fates

Nekusar
>How Soon is Now by The Smiths
youtube.com/watch?v=OztC_7nkAd8
Incredibly Chill game until the Chaos or Draw engine comes out.

Clan Defiance, Savage Twister.

Or did you mean red OR green? In that case:

Comet Storm, Fall of the Titans (maybe), Volcanic Geyser, Fault Line, Ravaging Blaze, Squall Line, GSZ, Chord of Calling

(t:"instant" or t:"sorcery")

How often do you play additional format modifiers like 2HG, Emperor, Planechase, or Archenemy?

>2HG
Not very often, but I'm not sure why. I might pitch that at the shop tomorrow.

>Emperor
It's been a while, because 6 man games already take forever. Emperor games either take a million years and then just kinda collapse in the span of 2 or 3 turns, or one of the Emperors combos off while nobody can touch him and it ends in 10 boring minutes.

>Planechase
Almost every single week.

>Archenemy
Bout once or twice a month.

I really want to do Archenemy as my deck is perfect to be the douchebag. Unfortunately no one in my group wants to play it

You can still win. After all, it is Temur. But it doesn't feel all that Timmy. You don't get to do anything cool, it just ends up good stuff.

Bump lads

My favorite way to do Archenemy is to just shuffle up my whole fat-ass stack of Schemes, and deal them out to each player. Everyone gets to be the Archenemy.

Hilariously, this is in the fucking COMPREHENSIVE RULES, under the variant name "Supervillain Rumble" and I am not making that up.

We do mass planechase every once in a while. It is usually frustrating. You really need the right kind of playgroup for it.

That sounds magnificent.

I really got my friends into Horde Magic as a side format to test out their new decks in a Co-Op format. I've made several Horde decks since then and have started on a Horde Magic Blog to cover the format.
We also did Planechase a few times which everyone agreed was fun, although we never played much of it.

at my LCS we played a lot of 2HG and Emperor. My favorite Emperor game was the time I was the Guard. I attacked the King very early on with some 1/1s and managed to bluff the Traitors and Assassins into trying to kill each other. Each thought the other was the guard because no sane guard would attack the king if that was their way to win, right?
Eventually I managed to kill two other players before one of the assassins took the King and I out.

Can you recommend me any Timmy Johnny decks with cool combos and big creatures?

We do, however I'm the only one with a deck really capable of being the archenemy. It doesn't really work when the archenemy's deck summons 1/1 saprolings and needs everyone to leave him alone to go off

Yes, that's a pretty good start to upgrading from the precon. The questionable cards from that list I'd cut would be: Agent of Erebos, Campaign of Vengeance, Doom Blade, Duress, Skybind, and Ultimate Price

Agent, Doomblade, Duress, and Ult Price are somewhat narrow in what they do but ofc it all depends on your meta and the people you typically play against.

Campaign of Vengeance I don't see working, you gotta do REALLY wide to make the effect worth it specially with how much mana it costs.

Skybind is straight up a bad card. There are a shitton of other options for repeatable blink. Fucking 5 mana for a really conditional trigger.

I don't think you and the guy you quoted mean the same thing by "Emperor". It sounds like your version is like Bang/Kingdoms, where there's secret "roles".

The way I've always known Emperor is two teams of three; each team has an Emperor in the middle, and a General on either side. The Generals have a range of influence of only 1 seat, so they can only interact with the General across the table from them, and their own Emperor (until they kill the opposing General, then they can affect the opposing Emperor). The Emperors have a range of influence of 2, so they can interact with both of their own Generals, and both the enemy Generals, but not the enemy Emperor until one of their Generals falls.

IT also uses the "Deploy creatures" option, which gives the ability "{T}: Target teammate gains control of this creature. Activate only anytime you could cast a sorcery" to all creatures.

Your commander gets Nevermore'd. Is your deck now useless?
This is my Gisa deck's worst nightmare

I think Doom Blade is good enough to leave in until you can slot in Hero's Downfall, but I agree on Ultimate Price.

Duress is a shit card in Commander.

Nah, I just lose some steam until I can blow it up.

why are you not running the colorless answers to Nevermore

Considering 25% of my deck is board wipes I'd be fine.

Yeah, I meant something different than that. We called it Usurper, not Bang or Kingdoms. I got confused because we called the King either King or Emperor, depending on the person you were playing with.

I think we played one game of Emperor which fizzled because the EDH players were also playing in FNM games so they only had enough time for one round.

I counter it and rev for 15

>deck
Reanimator

>song
>Reanimator by Splendora

Emperor is... I wouldn't recommend it unless you trust your group not to be shitheads. Since the Emperors themselves can't be interacted with (barring a Mindslaver effect or something) until one of their Generals goes down, it's really easy for the Emperor to just pick a combo deck and set up to go nuclear without anyone being able to disrupt it at all. I'd recommend only playing with people you trust not to be shitty, and/or having people pick their decks before you randomly assign the teams.

Is it better to build mono color, dual color or tri color for my first edh deck? I do not have a lot of deck building except in sealed events so I usually do mono or dual.

I played Roon of the Hidden Realm as one of the Lieutenants and my opponent kept a two land hand. He gave up after like turn 5 of no lands.

I would not mind playing Emperor again but there are so many people who just bring in combo decks for EDH that it's hardly fun. What would be really nice is finding 3 others to play regularly with, just to keep my teammates up to date in their deck building. One of them built Zur as a shitty Wizard Tribal deck rather than just reading Zur and realizing there's only one way to play it.

Probably Mono Colored.

How many decks do you play this in?

Dual colour.
The mana base isn't too hard to sort out, and 2 colours gives you a lot more flexibility (good luck removing enchantments as mono black)

I'd say start out with a single color or two colors. Three colors is when your manabase and card choices start to get really complicated. The two-color or mono color precon decks are a good start if any of those commanders appeal to you.

None because I got Karn.

Only Karn, otherwise it's usually too expensive. That and Disk are pretty much my only outs to stuff like

None because it's too expensive.

This.

I've got it in Keranos. It's actually better than Karn in UR since you've got all sorts of copy and recursion options for an Instant that you haven't got for Karn.

Thanks for the help. I will try both, maybe find one mono and one dual and see how it goes. Do y'all have any recommendations for a fun general?

Mind telling us what playstyle you enjoy?

>Roon
Oh no, I just have to rely on Brago, Eldaddy Displacer, Mistmeadow and Conjurer's Closet or just fucking nuke it with my large amount of artifact and enchantment hate

>Melek
HAHA EAT MY STORM COCK

Mizzix loves this thing

Saffi Eriksdotter is a good example of a dual colour general in good colours that is easy to build for, fun, and interactive.

For mono colour I'd suggest Kiki-Jiki for the same reason, though he'd be more difficult to build and play because of the limiting colour.

I like aggro and synergy, and combo like Affinity and Elves in Modern/Legacy. So basically cheating/comboing a big creature like Craterhoof Behemoth in and beating face., or using synergy between cards to make everything come together. If that makes sense

Pretty much, actually, yeah. For ALL of my decks, even.
Shit, I should fix that.

Saffi is really all that? I saw her and thought she could be fun but did not see how to abuse her mechanic. And I love G/W so that works for me.

>Roon of the Hidden Realm
Nah, I've got tutors and removal ETBs that I can use to remove it.
>Experiment Kraj
Don't need it to combo out but it wastes an opponent's card to stop what they think is the win con
>Archangel Avacyn
It hurts but the deck isn't crippled, there's some removal for it.
>Dralnu, Lich Lord
Probably going to counter that or bounce then counter
>Arcades Sabboth
I'd laugh considering the deck is just a tribute to EDH and it's also Bant Enchantress.

I meant red green and rg my bad but thanks these are very good.

Naw, I run Ertai the corrupted for his colors and the 1 out of 20 games I do cast him it's just because Bitterblossom + Platinum Emperion + All my tax effects means resolving a spell is pretty much impossible.

List if anyone is curious (some of you may have seen it in an older thread):
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ertais-wild-ride/

My recommendation is to find and think of big creatures and fun combos you want to run first and then go from there.

As I said earlier, boring generals do give you a bit of freedom.

Here, which of these scenarios seems fun to you?

Casting Scapeshift with Rampaging Baloths in play.

Casting Thromok with Pandemonium on the field.

Exiling all drakes you control with Mass Polymorph, revealing 5 Sphinxes.

Drawing 8 cards card using River Kelpie, a Gravecrawler and a sac outlet and zombie.

Casting Blasphemous Act with Tarmanoa in play.

Not super abuseable, other than a couple of combos with Karmic Guide, Reveillark et al.

She's basically just removal protection, but you can have fun with her if you let her go to the graveyard instead of the command zone and run a good green recursion package with stuff like Genesis.

She's super easy to build for someone new, but has a pretty high skill ceiling if you're good at magic.

plane chase and archenemy are unbearable

Mass Polymorph scenario

Thromok with Pandemonium/Scapeshift with Rampaging Baloths

Those are the top three that I think are fun.

Well that sounds like fun though. I like high ceiling for skill and seems like fun if she has a couple of combos.

I suddenly feel like doing giant sea monster tribal.

primal surge worth it?

I did that. You can run Reseach the Deep and other nonsense. Tromokratis as the general. Good luck.

If you like combos, you can go full on combo with her too
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/217012-saffi-eriksdotter-and-friends

It's definitely worth it but it's hard to slot it into a preexisting deck. You really do have to build around it.

I've seen some hilariously stupid shit with blue Braids too.

How many lands should I run in my Brion Stoutarm Deck?

How many mana rocks?

Currently none, but that's because none of the decks I run need it right now. If I were to build a mono deck or something that had specific trouble with a permanent type due to colors, I'd possibly throw that in. That, or Spine, depending on whether the deck uses artifacts or not.

Eeeeeh. I don't like it, because either it whiffs hard, you win right there (I don't like "win all at once" cards), or you die to a Wrath the next turn.

I usually use ~40 lands as a starting point when hashing out a deck, and adjust it as necessary.

/edhg/, what other ways are there to look at peoples hands in U/W other than Telepathy and Glasses of Urza? I'm brewing an Isperia the Inscrutable deck and need some advice on how to maximize her effect.

gitaxian probe