Magic the Gathering: Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Have ENM cards found a home in your deck?

Eldritch Moon card image gallery:
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon

The overall and paper Modern Metagame

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Modern deck primers link:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Tiers are usage-based. A Tier 2 deck may be better than a Tier 1 deck in a specific Metagame.

(Image will be from last thread)

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgmintcard.com/articles/writers/magnus-lantto/deaths-shadow-aggro-guide-part-1
mtgmintcard.com/articles/writers/magnus-lantto/deaths-shadow-aggro-guide-part-2
starcitygames.com/article/32982_What-I-Learned-About-The-Best-Deck-In-Modern-At-GPCharlotte-7th.html
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-12-14-modern-aristocrats/
deckstats.net/decks/40652/544337-omen-scapeshift?saved=1&lng=en
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-abzan-aristocrats-22357#online
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also just getting this out of the way, No pod should not be unbanned. It is too powerful and consistent. It will only get stronger as better creatures are printed.
New, one time use, tutors are a far more reasonable for of tutor. Like eldritch evolution, chord of calling, or collected company

pod was the most fun deck in modern
cant believe its gone
RIP

Pod did nuffin wrong

What's Suicide Zoo, exactly?

mutagenic growth, probe, become immense, deaths shadow

Causing damage to yourself in terms of Phrexian mana normally, to activate Deaths Shadow, for a cheap boomstick.

It's pay 100+ dollarydoos for mishra's baubles, realize you are dumb and modern is a shit format

And here i am having a full playset cause i bought them for manaless dredge years ago

Sell em quick and replace them with Urza's Bauble, basically same effect but on like a 50c card

Man I remember playing pod in standard when they shortly after announced modern, but I was kind of leaving magic at the time

was melira pod the shit or was it just an early archetype?

>Modern is a constructed format and therefore adheres to the following constructed rules:

Minimum of sixty cards
No maximum deck size, as long as you can shuffle your deck unassisted
Up to fifteen cards in your sideboard, if used
With the exception of basic lands (Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest), your combined deck and sideboard may not contain more than four of any individual card, counted by its English card title equivalent.

Note: The five snow-covered lands from the Ice Age block—Snow-Covered Plains, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Swamp, Snow-Covered Mountain, and Snow-Covered Forest—are also basic lands. Snow-covered lands are only permitted in formats that allow expansions from the Ice Age block.

The following card sets are permitted in Modern tournaments:

Eldritch MoonShadows over InnistradOath of the GatewatchBattle for ZendikarMagic OriginsDragons of TarkirFate ReforgedKhans of TarkirMagic 2015Journey into NyxBorn of the GodsTherosMagic 2014Dragon's MazeGatecrashReturn to RavnicaMagic 2013Avacyn RestoredDark AscensionInnistradMagic 2012New PhyrexiaMirrodin BesiegedScars of MirrodinMagic 2011Rise of the EldraziWorldwakeZendikarMagic 2010 Alara Reborn Conflux Shards of Alara Eventide Shadowmoor MorningtideLorwyn Tenth EditionFuture SightPlanar ChaosTime SpiralColdsnapDissensionGuildpactRavnica: City of GuildsNinth EditionSaviors of KamigawaEighth EditionBetrayers of KamigawaChampions of KamigawaFifth DawnDarksteel Mirrodin

Recently finished my soul sisters deck. All I'm missing is 2x Auriok Champion which I have to wait on cuz money. Also, haven't decided what to buy first, 2x Auriok Champion or Flagstones, or should I just leave as is? what do you think?

If I were to get the champions I would just swap out a souls attendant and a soul warden for both champions. For Flagstones just replace some plains

Anyway so far it hasn't been beat in my social circle and I haven't tried it out in a tournament at a local game store (I'm too shy to just walk up to people and play) but I think it'll do good.

pls rate

Soul Sisters

Creatures:
2x Archangel of Thune
1x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4x Soul Warden
4x Souls Attendant
1x Martyr of Sands
3x Ranger of Eos
4x Ajani's Pridemate
3x Serra Ascendant

Instants:
4x Path to Exile
1x Secure the Wastes
3x Brave the Elements
2x Sundering Growth

Sorceries:
4x Spectral Procession

Enchantments:
2x Honor of the Pure
1x Rest in Peace

Land:
4x Windbrisk Heights
1x Ghost Quarter
16x Plains

Sideboard:
I have none, but I heard Stony Silence and suppression field are good

Fuck got those too. They are both shit cards that do nothing. Any deck that runs them in modern that isnt storm, is down card slots. But people will still play. Lord knows why though

Manaless dredge is a common legacy deck which has no such restrictions, unless I am mistaken when the person I was replying to said "I bought them for mana less dredge years ago" it seems likely that is to what he was refering you fuck

Wut?

What do you think of lone rider? Been thinking about getting into modern with SS and honestly was thinking about using these.

a two mana 1/1 that requires set-up to make an impact isn't that good in modernd

A lot of the time it wont require set up and will just be a 4/4 first strike lifelink trample on your opponents turn. Im the innexperienced one here so you are probably correct, but I just dont see it as a huge investment or anything.

i agree with the user that gave you the reply, it could slow down your deck

I haven't seen much of EM or any of the newer sets..

Have you tried cracking into modern with a budget deck like mono red burn?

Its mostly to get out of the house and play at my LGS haha, they have a lot of modern players.

If anything I want to play a delver variant but I know they are not super powerful, and I would have to slowly purchase snapcasters over time haha.

How does it not require set up? You have to gain 3 life

jesus man, i can feel your autism from over here

I had to slowly build this one too, the availability of rangers and serra ascendants is pretty scarce, not to mention their price haha

but it's a fun and competitive deck.

For a moment, let's assume that when Kaladesh gets released, WotC unbans Stoneforge Mystic.

What decks does she get put into? Any new brews that come out from her being legal?

People are buying into "grow the Tarmogoyf" in decks that run 1 Tarmogoyf.

makes mardu not entirely shit. makes junk dope. probably dnt and bw tokens.

Fuck Jund.

or you can run a card that actually does something.

Reposting from last thread.

Alright boys and girls, going to make a zooicide list but I'm forgoing the baubles, for two reasons:
1) price spike, they were reasonable but now they're unreasonably priced
2) 80% of the deck is sorc speed which means drawing a card on their turn could give you a creature/spell/bauble you don't want

The upside is free delve fodder and +1 swiftspear points, the downside is that you might get btfo by your own topdeck bauble.

Most lists run 2 Bolt, so adding 2 more would be easy. I've got Manamorphose but that seems super shitty as it's 2 mana, but I could test with one and see how it works out.

Basically, Baubleless Zooicide, give me your thoughts.

>dredge
>common

not anymore, too much geaveyard hate

dredge is a common legacy deck, but manaless not so much

The real problem is that it's a 4/4 that actually dies to Lightning Bolt. The deck can consistently flip it, but not before the time where it's a 1/1 is relevant.

In Soul Sisters, he said.

its not like one has better chances than the other with all the shit happening in legacy decks graveyards.

There are quite a few thibgs in this newer sets, from this block only we have:

>New Thalia
>New Avacyn
>Declaration in Stone (AKA: Sorcery-Speed Megapath to Exile)
>Thalia's Lieutenant
>Rattlechains
>Thing in the Ice
>Asylum Visitor
>Diregraf Colossus
>Relentless Dead
>Falkenrath Gorger
>Sin Prodder
>Cryptolith Rite
>Duskwatch Recruiter
>Seasons Past
>Traverse the Ulvenwald
>Sorin
>Nahiri
>Olivia
>Prized Amalgam
>Planeswalker CoCo
>Sigarda's Aid
>Gisela, Bruna & Brisela
>Collective Effort, Brutality & Defiance
>Selfless Spirit
>Lone Rider
>Mausoleum Wanderer
>Niblis of Frost
>Wharf Infiltrator
>Docent of Perfection
>Wish for Spaghetti Monster
>Curious Homunculus
>Unsubstantiate
>Liliana, The Last Hope for a LOTV Reprint
>Tree of Perdition
>Cryptbreaker
>Oath of Cream-Filled
>Voldaren Pariah
>Hymn to Emrakul
>Bedlam Reveler
>Hanweir the land, Hanweir the creature & Hanweir the kick-ass Volthros Legend (Honorable mention goes to the Gitgud Monster)
>Red Donate
>Shreds of Sanity
>Splendid Reclamation
>Permeating Mass
>Eldritch Evolution
>Gnarlwood Dryad
>Floprakul
>The Craterhog Behemoth, also known as Baconator of Counties, also known as Mandatory-Green-Fatty-of-the-set
>Distended Mindbender
>Elderly Best-Friend
>Eternal Scourge
>Tamiyo and the Colorpie Controversy
>Grim Flayer, Sensei's Pet Tarmogoyf
>Gisa and Geralf
>Spell Quell-Yourself
>Volthros' Pirate Looting Mikoro
>Nephalia Academy Always end with a strong one.

This block is full of pretty awesome, fun cards and even some potentially game-changing stuff. We'll have to see just how much of an impact all these end up having in the different formats, but its safe to say that, all things considered, this is a pretty awesome block.

Kys

Zooicide player here, Baubles are one of the best cards in the deck.
Looking at the top card of your library before using a Gitaxian Probe/Street Wraith draw allows you to fetch first if you don't like the card.
More information about your combo aggro plan is always key.
It also easily fuels your Delve cards and Swiftspear prowess triggers.
Enabling Delirium for Gnarlwood Dryad (testing over Steppe Lynx) seems like another useful application.

Here's the primer:
>mtgmintcard.com/articles/writers/magnus-lantto/deaths-shadow-aggro-guide-part-1
>mtgmintcard.com/articles/writers/magnus-lantto/deaths-shadow-aggro-guide-part-2

Another read:
>starcitygames.com/article/32982_What-I-Learned-About-The-Best-Deck-In-Modern-At-GPCharlotte-7th.html

Reading those increased my win percentage drastically.

Would a card like this see play in modern?

No. him.

DESTROY ME Veeky Forums

4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Eidolon of Blossoms
4 Herald of the Pantheon
4 Ethereal Armor
4 Journey to Nowhere
4 Kruphix's Insight
2 Sigil of the Empty Throne
4 Sunpetal Grove
7 Forest
4 Banishing Light
2 Stasis Snare
4 Windswept Heath
7 Plains
2 Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 Ghostly Prison
SB: 2 Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 2 Rest in Peace
SB: 2 Stony Silence
SB: 2 Choke
SB: 2 Seal of Primordium

Looks like ..fun..

The vast majority of these are hot garbage

Is Aristocrats possible in modern, Veeky Forums? Help me refine this list. Looking for improvements, secret tech, hope that this isn't a worthless endeavor, etc.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-12-14-modern-aristocrats/

Cringing at your attempts to be funny

If you're too ashamed to even post a card in /ccg/, you might as well delete MSE entirely.

Fuck off.

Thanks. I totally understand bauble's power (in a temur goyf swiftspear deck it also does work) but I refuse to buy a playset.
It gives you a free delve/swiftspear and has cool fetch tech, have you ever whiffed from it though??

It seems like an icing card, like oboro in a merfolk mirror or canopies in boggles, or burnwillows. I'm going to build the deck as I have almost all the cards, but I'm going to build it without those 4 cards as I don't plan to take it to a GP or anything.

So far, my thoughts are to add a land (especially since -4 cantrips it might not be a bad idea) and add a singleton Postmortem Lunge. I was thinking about what cards I could add for the final two slots, either more bolts or something whacky? That's really what I need help with.

Those guides are also a testament to how awesome the deck is, there's so many lines of play, lotta ins lotta outs.

spoopy scary

2spoopy4me

No dismember? Try it over murder

>no reassembling skeltal
not even a good meme

Zooicide is a deck that only has about twenty cards it actually wants to play. It tries to combo off as consistently as possible, so mishras bauble really is good. The fact that you might topdeck a street wraith seems even worse than bauble, and bauble can help you shuffle it or git probe away with a fetchland.

I never played the deck, so I dont know exactly how necessary it is.

It's a bucket of tiny synergies. All of them are really minute, but they come together to be a good fit.

>Another read:
>>starcitygames.com/article/32982_What-I-Learned-About-The-Best-Deck-In-Modern-At-GPCharlotte-7th.html
Wow. I mean the deck is strong but the best deck in modern. Get over yourself

first for
fuck izzet charm

You realize that it's not actually necessarily a bad thing, right? Running 52 cards instead of 60 improves consistency quite a lot. Plus fetches. So probably closer to 44~45.

Xth for
>magmaspray is better
just kidding its not fuck all you and your memes

>Sideboard:
>I have none
So your deck does absolutely nothing against combo or control as you're playing a grindy midrange deck that's only good when playing against creatures?

This looks like what MaRo wants Modern to be like.

deckstats.net/decks/40652/544337-omen-scapeshift?saved=1&lng=en
Where should I improve it?
It's just random junk, isn't it?

Shouldn't ghostly prison be main, as 50%+ of the metagame is agro?

I think Mardu Tokens is a strictly better deck, without having playing either. Aristocrats leave you vulnerable to spot removal. Playing a creature or token spell and sacrificing them to a demon only for me to Path to Exile your demon gives me a free 2-for-1 (not counting the free fetch from Path). A pure tokens deck doesn't have this problem.

Ok first off, we are in meme terrority, and skeletons are a strictly worse Zombies. However, that doesn't mean the deck can't be fun, so let's get into it.

Look up Death Baron.
Never play Auras. You are begging for me to Lightning Bolt your zombie in response, giving me a free 2-for-1.
You have no way of dealing with an Ensnaring Bridge, Ghostly Prison or other cards that make you flat out lose the game. Consider splashing white to gain access to removal and better sideboard cards.
You currently have no way to interact with planeswalkers sans attacking them.

Cut your 4 auras, add 4 Death Baron
Cut 6 Swamps, add 4 Isolated Chapel and 2 Caves of Koilos
Cut 4 Grasp of Darkness, add 4x Anguished Unmaking
Cut Throne of Bone and add 2x Athreos, God of Passage (he resembles a skeleton and looks spooky/10)
There, your deck went from a pile of shit to a tier 50 meme deck

>mishra's baubles
>rfw sold a playset of mishra's baubles a few month ago for pennies whiem compared to the current price

>magmaspray
not
>pillar of flame

>pillar of flame
>magmaspray

>what is tarfire

>Pod will only get stronger as better creatures are printed
You mean just like every other deck in the game? Burn got stronger when Eidolon and Swiftspear were printed.

>Creature (30)
2x Azorius Guildmage
2x Geist of Saint Traft
4x Judge's Familiar
4x Leonin Arbiter
4x Mausoleum Wanderer
2x Selfless Spirit
4x Spirit of the Labyrinth
4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
3x Thought-Knot Seer
>Instant (8)
3x Ojutai's Command
4x Path to Exile
>Land (22)
3x Adarkar Wastes
4x Celestial Colonnade
1x Eiganjo Castle
3x Geier Reach Sanitarium
4x Ghost Quarter
1x Island
2x Plains
4x Seachrome Coast

>It will only get stronger as better creatures are printed.
Its retards like you that make Modern a shit format.

Pod doesn't stifle "better" creatures from being printed, it stifles terribly designed cards like Meme Rhino that cheat CMC heavily and have splashy ETB effects. Pod didnt prevent "better" creatures, it prevented lazy "aggressively but highly costed" ones that do nothing in Modern and fuck up Standard.

You know what does stifle the types of creatures that can be printed? A 4 mana instant speed board tutor that pulls an auto 2-for-1 and cheats a pile of mana.

People bitched about Twin stifling Blue's power, suddenly now Wizards can't print good cards in CoCo colours under 3 CMC at all, because each and every powerful card printed linearly increases the potential power and splashiness of a given Company hit. It doesn't matter how well designed the card is, if it's quality and below 3 CMC, CoCo will jam it in with no questions asked and try to lucksack it or Chord it.

To top it off, it stifles deckbuilding too, because in order to take advantage of the literal best thing you can do in a toolbox deck, you have to load out your entire deck with literally nothing but sub 3cmc creatures, and completely ignore entire aspects of deckbuilding just to compete in the archetype.

I called Company as a stupid card the instant I saw the spoiler.

#makeremovalgreatagain

Ha! Trading mine for a playset of metalworkers.

I hope you got Cities already

I would really like them to print good control cards again

Heavily leaning on fucking Mana Leak as the best counterspell in modern is fucking pathetic

>maro hates draw-go
>maro hates red burn
>mfw they just keep terrible midrange cards forever and eventually it overtakes the format because nothing else gets printed

...no, i held off on those.

Also, when the FUCK is crucible gonna be reprinted? Its fucking absurd that a card with almost zero impact in standard hasn't been reprinted when the price tag is that high

Just get them from chinaman.
I'm already considering doing that due to the fucking second hand market being over inflated while wizards do fucking nothing about it.

Almost kill yourself then try to kill turn three. Also play some expensive jewelry, why did it spike so much?

They should reprint counterspell at Mythic with no other good counter in the standard legal sets around it.
No impact on limited, no impact on standard because even if you jam 4 counterspells in every blue deck if there are no other good counters it can hardly be oppressive.

>still needed baubbles for my suicide zoo deck
>look up price today

O..oh.. well.. I guess I'll just play kird ape..

Which chinamen you thinking about?

Has anyone tested eldritch evolution yet? got a prerelease promo one and I'm debating if I should trade it now or wait.

Villa zheng

Thanks user

Hold on to it.
I've heard talk of a 1-drop, 3-drop, 5-drop get that might just get it into modern.

The GP is right upon us, so we'll see just how good these cards are. Also when Standard rotates these will be some of the strongest cards in the format.

But above all, these are undeniably fun, which is more than it can be said about many past blocks. Not all cards are for Spikes you dunce.

As lobg as I get replies and people discussing the new cards idgaf.

>turn one birds of paradise
>Turn two Evolution into Kitchen Finks
>Turn three Evolution into ????
>PROFIT

Swagtusk? What kilker 5 drop is there? Serra angel

Spell queller will probably be annoying. maybe mono black control with liliana of the veil, the rack and ensnaring bridge will see play again thanks to emrakuls whispers? Emrakul could see play too tho newlamog just seems better. I've found a emerge zombie decklist and changed a few things so it can compete with modern decks to test elder deep fiend and mindbreaker, it's fun so far.

BANESLAYER ANGEL.

Fuck, I would love to build g/w eldritch angels but it probably won't work.

No one would want to play against eldrazi pod though, podding matter reshaper into thought knot seer seems too powerful for my liking

Sundering growth and rest in peace are sideboard cards

>Using Emrakul's power to cheat out the only Angel who could resist Emrakul's influence
Absolutely herecy.
Looks powerful, though.

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-abzan-aristocrats-22357#online

there is this abzan aristocrats that is pretty interesting

Prices are unstable right now and are recovering from that autistic buyout. The prices are stabilizing so keep track of the prices day by day.

Rumour has it that people are refusing to buy Bauble at 45$, looking for other offers, other cards or just another deck entirely.

>45$

It's still like $20 on eBay, who is buying at over $30?

No one, but some are trying to sell them for over 40.

The thing is, you don't sac stuff haphazardly. Greedy saccing is how you get blown the fuck out. You play Butcher and Aristocrat on curve in conjunction with cards that generate bodies without further investment, then only sac when necessary.

>You only sac when necessary
When is that, if not all the time because you're trying to beat me down faster than I execute a combo or lock down control?

For Aristocrat, generally only to save it from removal. For Butcher, it's much more situational. You sac for lifelink if you're behind on life to an aggressive deck and need the cushion. You sac for haste if you really need to close the gap, and you sac for vigilance if you really need the blocker. You also have to keep your opponent's open mana in mind before committing, and be careful with when and what you sac. Main-phasing a token spell into sacrifices is almost always the wrong way to play.

And see all the boys crying because their 7cmc creature was countered by a 2 cmc spell? asking us why would we print such a broken and unfair card? Not while i'm alive