Star Trek General /STG/

Gold pressed latinum edition.

Previous thread: A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and it's various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Laser & Feelings
onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>stdimension.org/int/

Other urls found in this thread:

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10069563-aftershocks
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10099783-pandora's-gift
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Time_travel_episodes
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>If Beltran had actually bothered with levering his position as the first officer and thus very prominent cast member to rail against the shitty treatment given, he'd be far better regarded, even if he ended up getting fired for it.

He kinda did. He kept trying to get himself fired by asking for outrageous pay increases during renegeotiations of contracts. Paramount just kept turning around and okaying them. This is one of the reasons why he's the ONLY cast member of Voyager more or less who HASN'T had to get a VA job on STO.
His real dick move was not bringing the other cast members in on his racket.

Remember, Voyager is the show that none of the writers or directors or producers wanted to do. It was a condition of them getting to do DS9.
Essentially they went to the execs and said "We want to do Babylon 5"
And the execs went:
"Only if you run a traditional Giant Ameoba of the Week Trek show alongside it."
So they shit out this contractual obligatory show, with half edited Season 8 TNG scripts, bits of Season 4 of TOS stretched and twisted like a child hammering in a square block into a round hole, and literally ANY piece of fanfiction that comes through door, if it was in script format, it'd get made into an episode.
But as soon as even a HINT of some kind of long running major plotline gets suggested, it get's chopped to ribbons in a really sarcastic way because "DUH BUT YOU SAID YOU WANTED AN EPISODIC TREK SHOW"

I think what he meant was that Beltran should have used his pull to get them to hire someone who isn't a fraud as indian advisor. Or to give the character some more personality than "pacifist (except when not) space injun". That sort of thing.

Similarly, when you look at Tim Russ or Robert Picardo, they give their roles everything. Later Jeri Ryan gives a good performance, too. Those are the Big Three of Voyager, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the Doc and Seven were written as breakout roles, and it does annoy me that The Ship's Babe with her catsuit turned out to be such a good character completely by accident (I mean, imagine Jolene Blalock in the same role). I don't think the Voyager writers deserved the satisfaction of being proven right.

Either way, these actors bring something to the role. Tim Russ was an enthusiast about Trek and the Vulcans, and he nails it. Picardo is a consumate actor who brings the character to life with tons of tiny nuances most people will only ever subconsciously pick up on. Jeri Ryan somehow manages to portray a character who is at once enormously strong and incredibly fragile.

Robert Beltran is just sort of... there. And I understand it. He gave up, and I can't blame him. Certainly not when I look at the rest of the cast, and how some are boring and others got fucked, or in the case of Garrett Wang, both. Part of me wishes he had brought that complete lack of care to the character. It would have fit the part, wouldn't it? He went from being a rebel commander to being the basic bitch of the Captain sent to capture him. His crew has essentially become a bunch of Starfleet stoogies. And it would have made him far less annoying for being a Janeway believer since being whipped by her. I swear season 1 Chakotay feels like a buddyfucking traitor sometimes.

>How would you fix Voyager?

Is "make the series about the Equinox instead" within the parameters of the question?

I've always said that Star Trek: Equinox would have been a much more interesting show.

>Similarly, when you look at Tim Russ or Robert Picardo, they give their roles everything.

Honestly out of everyone involved in the Voyager debacle, it's Tim Russ I feel the most for. The man had been trying for a main role since the casting of TNG, he'd had bit parts and episode character roles across all of trek, he'd starred alongside Shatner and Takei and Patrick Stewart multiple times, and when he finally does get a major role? It's fucking Voyager.

A part of me wishes he'd been cast in DS9 instead, although it's hard to imagine what for. Bashir? Odo? Maybe one of the Cardassians?

That's because The Equinox actually suffered all the problems Voyager should have suffered.

The big problem with Voyager was that they tried to make the next TNG. This was, very overtly, their mission. TNG was the flagship show, and VOY followed it. The reason DS9 was so good, was that it could get away with being different, because it was a spinoff. Voyager was just cocked up massively by staying safe and making horrible design-by-committee decision. And yet there are still people who love Insaneway and Voyager. Fucking idiots.

It's hard to imagine Tim Russ in DS9, because the cast was already really solid. But I could see him in Worf's place, and just because both are black. Worf was just... Worf. Had a few good bits, no doubt about it. The character actually did grow. But put Tim Russ in there instead, as Tuvok, and replace all the Klingon shit with Vulcan stuff. I could deal with that. I could deal with that very well indeed.

And it also means we get none of those cringey Worf/Jadzia episodes. Though I could totally see Jadzia hook up with Tuvok.

Who knows. Maybe it's Worf, then, that gets catapulted across the galaxy instead of Tuvok. He wouldn't take shit from Janeway, and headbutt the Kazons like the poor imitation Klingons they are.

*NOT just because both are black...

Tuvok would have never gotten that "Death to the opposition!" line. That alone was justification enough for Worf's presence in the show.

But Tuvok gets "I remind you, I am trained in the martial arts of many Alpha Quadrant cultures. Sitting here attempting to meditate I have counted the number of ways I know of killing someone. Using just a finger, a hand, a foot. I had reached 94, when you entered."

Which reminds me of another way to fix Voyager: Make Suder a permanent addition to the crew. Dude was a beast. Brad Dourif is actually a good actor. He has those creepy eyes, too. And his character in Basics is actually likable, has some good conflict going on, represents the morally grey attitude Voyager should have had pretty well, and he's even talented at hydroponics and could have had good rapport with the Doc. Just replace Kes with him. You can even make him Neelix's boyfriend. But maybe I'm just saying that because I hate Neelix. I'd love nothing more than Neelix entering his quarters with obvious trepidation, eyes darting around, tongue licking his lips, searching in the dark for something terrible. And there is Suder, just sitting there in a dark corner, staring with those dark, alien eyes of his.

"Welcome home, honey".

And then the screaming starts.

I would fund this, and we are entering a brave new era of retcons and reimaginings. Pitch it.

Alright Veeky Forums, Star Trek: Mage Wars. Buddy is bringing it for game day. What do I need to know, cause I know he's not going to be prepared.

>Star Trek: Mage Wars
We Nanoha now?

Tuvok is also the guy who programmed the 'Kill Neelix' program for the holodeck. Which never failed to amuse me.

How many people do you think would have given their left arm for a copy?

Can we give Neelix's left arm?

We can make him give his lungs

Where is the rest of that storytime, anyway?

>Going through admiralty missions
>Pick this one
>"Help Rom Republic take back a world form imperials"
>While doing the mission my troops loot a bank in middle of the chaos of the battle

STARFLEET FUCK YEAH!

So I get how Starfleet handles Humans getting into space and doing space related stuff,

But how do they handle that of other aliens in their Federation? Do they all still have their own Alium Space Administration, or does Starfleet take control of it?

can it be playd without that arc or steam bollocks?

Dude, just get steam.

You strike me as the kind of guy who still uses his yahoo, aol or hotmail account.

Move into the 20th century

nah, i have a craptop and i just dont like steam
that it, i dont like steam

If you can't run steam, you wont run STO grandad.

STO that stands for Star Trek Online.

hey, I still have the Hotmail account I set up in 1997.

Ok, so there are 907 undread emails in it, and 905 of them are "X linked you on facebook" or "you paid for this on ebay" type notifications I'll never read.

but I still have the account, just in case I need to login at a random place and send an email without having to set up my other email address.

ah well,
still any way that does not need any of those?

There might be some older installers around in the depths of net, but one way to install it without the need for either steam or arc is by having the original game disc and downloading it.
After that you would have to wait about a week while it patches the ancient files and essentially rebuilds the whole game from the launch version.

Id recommend using Arc, since you get some free shit for downloading it and logging into the game once while using it (Khans suit from the wrath of khan movie and some klingon fighter if i recall).
After that you could just uninstall arc and use the old launcher.

desnt that have some shady chinese spyware shit going on?

So real talk, who's the best captain and why is it Janeway?

First i have heard of that.
What's the story behind that?

That was the same episode as that quote, actually. Just think about this: When faced with perhaps the most uncomfortable experience for a Vulcan, losing control of one's emotions, Tuvok wants to test whether he is safe to be around. Whether or not he can snap at a particularly stressful moment, putting the safety of the crew at risk. And to test that, he doesn't choose his wife being raped by Kazons, or his close friend Janeway becoming (even more of) a monster. No. He chooses Neelix... being himself.

i cant say if its true or not, but arc sends a big bunch of info back, not just what and how you play common stuff, but browser stoyries programs and data

can be all bullshit, but i dont really trust it, STO didnt need some steam like bollocks before, why put some now?

Because the game keeps getting bought.

I don't mind it so much, because it means they have the doshmoney to hire the actors back as VAs for the game, and it means they can pay their writers to come up with absolutely stellar content, no pun intended.

>still uses hotmail

The hell else would you use?

>Absolutely stellar content
>The war against demi-god iconians was ended by Fleet admiral PLAYER CHARACTER going to the past and instead of blowing up the Iconians as agreed upon in the future, he takes a deus ex machina orb and gives it back to the Iconians in the future

Or how about the whole Temporal war arc?
>Whole war begins because a Krenim scientist became supremely mad at the federation because due to some temporal fuckery his wife got deleted from the timeline but she decided to put her diary inside a temporally shielded computer on their temporal dreadnought

Yeah, great stories man.

No. It doesn't have a standalone client anymore, so you need to pick between two turds. Hard to say which stinks less.

>You strike me as the kind of guy who still uses his yahoo, aol or hotmail account.

I have all three.

And I'm poor enough to be typing this on a used Lenevo T60.

How fast does my PC have to be to use Steam?

>Whole war begins because a Krenim scientist became supremely mad at the federation because due to some temporal fuckery his wife got deleted from the timeline but she decided to put her diary inside a temporally shielded computer on their temporal dreadnought

Isn't that literally just the Year of Hell again though? Except this time the temporal fuckery that killed his wife was ours instead of his own?

To be precise, it was him and his wife who calculated that we could destroy the Iconians without causing any other damage to the timeline by throwing that asteroid at Iconia.

Instead we got cloaking borg cubes and Hakeev of Borg with borgified Romulus.

>Instead we got cloaking borg cubes and Hakeev of Borg with borgified Romulus.

...that seems, somewhat unoptimal. Then again we are talking about combining the two biggest jobbers in Star Trek.

Voyager still has some decent episodes when taken out of context of the series. A lot of it's problems stem from inconsistency.
In single, well written episodes Janeways could be a great captain. Kate Mulgrew tries her fucking hardest to pull the character together and every so often she succeeds. Unfortunately a lot of the good is overwhelmed by the bad.

The series as a whole was disappointing but that doesn't stop it from having high points. It's just not something that should be binged or watched for "lore."

Well the other things that were proposed, like deleting Iconia from reality forever and before current times would have caused another race to become dominant in their place and ultimately get defeated by another race that would then take over Beta and alpha quadrants. The Vulcan star empire.
In another scenario destroying iconians would have caused the Dominion to become stronger because one of their ancient enemies didn't appear or something and so we had a brief holodeck mission where we fought a last ditch fight at Earth orbit against them.

So i suppose, out of the no Iconians allowed paths, that one was best one, also they didn't see that borg thing happening, it just happened because lol borgs.
After that we had to delete their transwarp gate from reality which caused the Borg to go and destroy Tuterians instead who fled into subspace and became the sphere builders.
Oh and Noyes (krenim scientists) wife was a tuterian.

Put Tim Russ as a romulan officer that was supposed to babysit the Defiant's cloaking device that the writers apparently all just forgot about after awhile.

This seems like the sort of thing that a Temporal Prime Directive would frown on.

What exactly WERE the Twenty-Ninth Century Time Cops doing during all of this? Eating Time Donuts and discussing who's going to win the next Globnar this year?

Probably doing nothing since everything that did happen would maintain the timeline and allow the Time Corps to be established.

OK so I made a STO account and got to level 10 and out of the 23c and back to the "modern" time. Is there anything left of the 23c stuff to unlock by playing, or can I make another character now?

Laughing my ass off they put Catians behind a paywall, they knew what they were doing

But, then how the hell did we know to erase the Borg Transwarp Gate without Time Ahabs wife?

GAH.

THIS IS WHY EVERYBODY HATES TIME-TRAVEL.

SORRY DOC BROWN. BUT IT'S TRUE.

They aren't all that great either, their big bonus is they can jump twice as high which lets you get into buggy places you aren't supposed to go

This is why i call time travel in STO as "All purpose plot insulation".

Here are some things that happen due to a time loop.
>Sela kills one of the Iconians and one particularly angry one called T'ket decides to embark on revenge
>Thousands of years later T'ket causes the Hobus super nova, destroying Romulus (and causing JJ-trek to happen)
And then
>Na'kuhl homeworld is devastated when their sun is turned off by a machine called Tox uthot
>It was operated by some Tholians
>Then as we go around past trying to stop Na'kuhl from altering our timeline, we encounter them doing some revenge on the Tholians in form of destroying one of their colony fleets

Oh and if you were wondering about the plot hole above about T'ket knowing what a Romulan was even before Vulcans had evolved, you can thank Klingon captain Kegran who time traveled to Iconia couple of weeks earlier and got to know the locals.
So possibly he talked to them off screen about what a Romulan was and where they lived.

Well there is that whole temporal recruit thing you can still do and that way unlock some loot for all of your characters down the line.
Also possibly some dialogue options later on during the temporal war arc.

Still not sure what I'm supposed to be doing with the temporal agent thing.

Also I have too many bridge officers apparently and can't take on new ones, despite the fact I can't fill my 2nd science slot. I've got a 2nd tactical officer I don't need. If I release him, can I just requisition a new officer on demand or does it come with missions?

Then there's the fact that if you start as a 23cent character Bones, Scotty and I think Sulu all recognise you from when you do that mission from the Klingon campaign later on.
Come to think of it, that was Iconians as well wasn't it?

Yeah, I think there's a vendor who sells Bridge Officers back in earth Stardock.

Unless they changed that, I'm noticing some changes since last time I played.

Also, the space combat is OK but not as good as I was expecting. I went with space wizard, and my current strategy involves holding them with a tractor beam as soon as the facing shield goes down then getting in a few torpedo bursts which is enough to kill most stuff.

I assume later missions might actually require cooperation from other players and/or more complex strategy?

They are given to you pretty liberally, as mission rewards and as leveling up rewards.
If you got extras that you don't need, id recommend turning them into training manuals and having some other crew member consume them.

Only ones you shouldnt get rid of are the Kobali one you can get as a mission reward, one potato looking guy who is also a mission reward as well as one breen, one jem hurr durr officer and one reman officer, they cant be re-claimed afterwards.

No, those were Devidians.
Some sorta life force eating temporal creatures which have never been mentioned since.

You should have a gizmo in your inventory for being a Temporal Agent. You need to look for temporal probes primarily, but you also get rewarded for advancing in various aspects of the game--joining a fleet, hitting level milestones, duty officer stuff, admiralty stuff later on, R&D crafting, etc. etc.

You will earn new bridge officer slots as you gain more levels, too.

Mostly "more complex strategy," yes, as the PvE ships will start having the same tricks you do; you'll also have MORE tricks as higher tier ships have higher rank boff slots, which gets to the real fun stuff. Also you'll find that enemies have enough hull strength to need more than just a few torpedo salvos.

Not really.
The whole story content is 100% soloable, just remember to replace your ships equipment from time to time.

And the Tholians they attack in the past swear vengeance, thus prompting the attack on the Na'kuhl homeworld in the first place.

Exactly, just like Sela vows vengeance after learning that the Iconians destroyed Romulus.

SELA WAS RIGHT

I wanted to side with her so hard, because holy shit shes right.

But nope.gif I was forced into Lawful Dumb Noble Bright choice.

Indeed.
The only folks who got to nuke Iconians were the Mirror universe guys.
Part 1/2

2/2

The story of how Leeta became admiral.

I don't know. If at say, ANY opportunity you had you'd just killed Sela?

That's the whole Iconian War time-erased, as well as the Hobus Supernova and the loss of Romulus.

Or, you know, saved Tasha Yar from the oil monster. Or follow the Enterprise-C back through time in your own ship and ensure that it survives the battle.
Or go back and rescue Tasha Yar when she's captured.

Literally ANY of these things would prevent ALL of that.

In THEORY.

Problem is, is Sela doing anything that only she could have done? Or would ANY romulan in her position have been able to do the same? What I'm saying is, if we take out Sela, who's to say a completely identical romulan wont take her place in doing the things shes done?

And think of how much death and destruction we could erase by deleting Fleet admiral PLAYER CHARACTER.

Or what if someone competent enough to keep Hakeev out of any leadership positions would have risen to take her place?

If Hakeev wasn't in leadership positions he'd be tying women to railroad tracks.

Sure maybe. But some things you can't dodge. Some things always just keep popping up.
Maybe, time doesn't like it when you fuck with it.

Maybe the fact that Annorax spent two fucking centuries trying to bring back his wife with his time edits to no fucking avail should tell us something.

Maybe, that Temporal Prime Directive, and those Temporal Agents from upriver aren't there to keep time safe from us, they're to keep us safe from time. Because it's a bitch that sooner or later always comes to collect and will take your kids unless you pay up.

Maybe.

>absolutely stellar content, no pun intended.
etc

SPOILERS AHEAD BUT I DON'T EVEN CARE. DON'T PLAY THAT CHAPTER IF YOU VALUE YOUR SANITY.

THE ICONIAN STORY ARC IS SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!
FUCK!!!
I hate it so much goddamn.
It ruined a story that spanned 30 years now IRL.
WITH ABSOLUTE FUCKING BULLSHIT. It almost ruined startrek as a whole for me retroactively.
a) You do realize that a large portion of the quadrant was KILLED in that war? By deciding to "lol spare some iconians, because muh prime directive" you effectively genocided a large portion of the fucking galaxy. Good job hero!
b) Why did we allow Sela to go into the past again? She was not representing our allies and she's still a war criminal. Bridge, one to beam directly to the brig!
c) At least when it became ridiculously fucking obvious that the Iconians should be saved, and Sela still wanted to kill them we could've just TAKEN THE GUN OUT OF THE HANDS OF THIS WARCRIMINAL.
d) Why did we not just beam the iconians to our fucking ship instead and then deposit them on the first world with a gateway?
e) You could have just stuck to the original plan of killing all iconians. Their culture would be preserved but their traumatized selves bent on revenge not. Oh but you saved some murderous demigods! The entirety of Romulus thanks y-oh wait.
f) Once the damage was done and Sela turned out to have been the ass all along, WHY DID WE IMMEDIATELY RETURN TO THE FUTURE, WE ABSOLUTE CUNTS?!?!?
Couldn't we just have left the shitting world heart, with a message that "give this to the angry iconians you'll encounter" at some place we KNEW we would discover at this time (like, say the preserver archive, thus ending the fucking war before it began by revealing us to be the others?

Speaking of temporal agents.
There's something odd about this tale.

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10069563-aftershocks

>Leeta has been helped in her temporal war against us by their 29th/31st century temporal police
>She is about to openly revolt against the Empire
>Time cops say no
>"Lol, tactical genius!"
>Leeta kills time cops

So either the time cops were meant to lose after having given Leeta and her folks some advanced tech (which doesn't make them any less dead when they fight against us).
Or she destroyed parts of the historical records, thus assuring that the folks in the future would never know of what is to come... Or something.
Fucking all purpose plot insulation...

This wouldn't have worked, because enterprise C was under protection of the time cops.
Sela deserved a fair trial.
And Hakee would've risen to power anyway.

Come to think of it
g) The death of the last large colony of the FIRST SENTIENT RACE IN THE FUCKING GALAXY. That too was erased thanks to our incompetence.
h) How the fuck could the annorax open a fucking time portal anyway.
i) How the hell could the Borg advance MORE with the entire Romulan fleet being in their way to stop them?
j) How the hell does the destruction of that particular borg transwarp network kill off a delta quadrant species?
k) Why the fuckedy fuck fuck did you not explode the annorax and delete the project out of the timeline once it became clear that the project was a definitive failure?
l) Why did you not put Noye's waifu into a fucking spacesuit and give her some temporal shielding like. oh i don't know THE ONE YOU USED ON THE PLANET. She would've been discovered floating in the ruins of romulus earlier, and would have prevented this disastrous course of action.
m) How the fuck did we not read through the logs to find out that Noye's wife was dead and he should be monitored.

Literally the only hope i have right now is that by traveling into the future and having all sorts of timetravel shennanigans we find a way to retcon the whole story.

I love it how they absolutely ignore the humanitarian cost of that war in game.
I mean, hell, at one point [SPOILER ALERT]
We gather Starfleet fleets, Romulan republic fleets and apparently some Rom Imperial fleets too as well as Klingon defence forces together, storm the Iconian dyson sphere and our fleet loses like 80% of its total numbers with the Iconians taking hardly a scratch in that whole ordeal, Well we did kill one Demi-god in the process but there was still like 11 or so left and now they were pissed.

We're literally space hitler.
The iconian chosen people must survive, even if it means we'll have to accept the death of innocent people.
Billions of them.

I get that they wanted to make a war that actually FELT heavy and desperate, but this was just throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Oh and
n) The klingon who traveled to romulus earlier.
IF HE THE FIGHTER OF WARS can see that the iconians are not warlike... why did he not start to save them on his own? We are not the chosen representatives of the alliance any more than he is, so he could've done shit on his own accord, saving ALL romulans, and maybe having US help out in the end, just so we can take some credit too.
But nooooo he can only violate the temporal prime directive when it comes to telling the soon to be enemies exactly who we are.

GG

And don't forget the part where the game forced us to talk past T'ket over to come with us to their gateway instead of dying in a hallway in her "last stand" fight.
T'ket, the angry bitch of the Iconians, the one who keeps on fighting against us even after peace has been made between her kind and ours.
The one who killed Kahless the unforgettable (or at least his clone) during one of the missions...

We intentionally saved a psychopath who most likely contributed to like 50% of all casualties of the war.
OH and she was also the one who caused the hobus supernova, so even if we had saved other iconians, the whole catastrophy that happened would not have happened.

I do actually think that Janeway was the best captain. I started watching Voyager when i was little, and i really liked her mother-figure role for the crew.
Shame about the whole "being an inconsistent psycho" thing that you discover once you watch some more episodes.

>T'ket, the angry bitch of the Iconians, the one who keeps on fighting against us even after peace has been made between her kind and ours.
Oh yes.
o) We convinced an Iconian. WHO WANTED TO DIE, an iconian WE KNEW WAS COMPLETELY FUCKING MENTAL IN THE FUTURE, to instead come and go get saved.

So in the end by NOT FOLLOWING orders (letting them live), not following laws (letting a warcriminal in on a galaxy defining temporal incursion), following the prime directive selectively (telling them who we are, but only helping them once its too late), violating another beings right to self determination (T'Ket), and not following logic (taking the world heart AWAY from the iconians to the present), we doomed billions of people, caused the erasing of the most ancient beings in the galaxy, the loss of the billions of lives on romulus, the wiping out of a delta quadrant race, the destruction of most of the alliance fleet, and the start of a temporal war.

Don't forget korsaya.org !

In other words if this is not the worst story in any game (apart from mass effect) that ever existed i don't know what is.

And by proxy the literally countless deaths of ENTIRE FUCKING UNIVERSES as the sphere builders have been testing on universes, trying to modify them to work as a new home for themselves, but in the end, they always cause the entropy to increase too much and the entire universe suffers a rapid heat death.

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10099783-pandora's-gift

So yeah, i think we go on a scale of couple million mega Hitlers on how much death we have caused.

Goddamn. Reading this is making me appreciate the story in SWTOR more and more.

I never actually paid attention in this game anyhow, it's all just clicking to get to the bit where I can blast things with pretty beams.

Well holy shit.
Though admittedly the sphere builders are a temporal fact, and that couldn't have been erased either way. And those universes...well. There was a good point not addressed by Romal there. Are those universes even real? If they can watch on galactic timescales and cause universe wide effects are they not more like a simulation?
Plus what if timelines are cross universal. The universe that actually exists depends on every quantum choice that ever happens.
So in other words erasing a potential timeline that hasn't actually come to pass like the kelvin timeline did is probably not interfering with reality just the possibilities.
As in that exact universe may now never come or never have come to pass.

And the irony is that the individual bits of story and the other episodes can be really, really REALLY good.
It's just like.... someone probably brought up the whole overarching concept and people then were too dumb to throw away the idea with extreme prejudice for whatever reason.

By how i recall it, originally the story was just a massive mess of different kinds of stories strung up together.
Then they started rewriting it piece by piece, trying to standardize and improve it (which they did for the most part).
Then they started advancing the plot and started hyping up the Iconians as the ultimate evil behind everything.
Then the Iconian war happened.
Now the Temporal war is going on.

The story took a neat upturn atone point and then it plummeted around the time of Delta rising.

Im blaming the addition of Neelix and Talaxians into the game for it.

This is slightly untrue. I don't know how Steam's version is, since I know steam is fond of tweaking exes to require it to run through steam, but the version you get through Arc can be run standalone once it's downloaded.

Source: I uninstalled Arc after getting the STO launcher, and can still STO

lol
Delta rising was fairly neat as far as stories go.
Some pretty in depth political stuff going on.
It's about halfway through the iconian war that logic, and any sense of agency or realism goes flying out the window.
I'd say at the whole Miral Paris thing.

Good to know, let's see if it works for me.

Fuck. Timetravel.

And Fuck Berman/Braga's hard-on for it making it a common thing in Star Trek. It was a rare and unusual thing (even DS9 with it's non-linear wormhole aliens rarely bothered with it) up until Voyager was constantly running into time anomalies and shooting people with time guns and time torpedoes and shit.

And then in Enterprise we get a fucking time agent telling us about a time war (in which STO players fight btw on the side of Flatprise-J).

I set up a hotmail account in 2000. It is still my primary. There are several thousand unread emails in there because I'm really, really, REALLY lazy.

>16 years
>only a few thousand emails

Dude my .edu email has nearly 3000 unread emails in just four years of Uni

But is it your primary?

For STO are race unlocks for player and bridge officers permanently unlocked on your account for all characters you might play? Like if I pay 5$ for liberated borg bridge officer, is that a singular game item or does it unlock it as a normal BOFF that I can then buy/sell with normal in-game currency? Or would I have to pay 20-30$+ to fill a ship with liberated borg BOFFs?

Are C-Store items buyable or sellable on the player dilithium exchange?

Player race unlocks are account-wide, as are ships; I believe the Liberated Borg boff is an account unlock too, yes.

I don't know off the top of my head what things can be bought and sold on the Exchange, but certain things indeed can; see how many Master Keys (for unlocking lockboxes) are on the Exchange, but that's mostly for EC.

TNG has just as many time travel episodes as Voyager, and DS9 isn't far behind.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Time_travel_episodes

So if I pay the 5$ or whatever once to unlock liberated borg, I can buy as many in-game BOFF as I want across all characters?

Really want to be sure before I end up buying a 5$ single in-game item.

On the other hand, if that's the case, I'm going to laugh my ass off every time I see a full Caitian crew+captain because they made like 50$ off the furry tax.

BOFF races are different than PC races.
IRC, there's only about six or so Borg bridge officers, and most of them are account-bound.

The difference is that with TNG and DS9, the time travel is often used as a framing device. In some of these examples the crews themselves don't even travel through time, but are the people who encounter time travellers. In contrast, Voyager has one episode that utilizes time travel where the main crew doesn't travel through time themselves. For DS9, it's fully half the episodes that the characters are passive participants. And one of the episodes that doesn't meet that criterium has a guest actor playing an older version of a regular character carry the episode. For TNG it's 4 out of 11, but that includes an episode where time is stopped, and no subjective time travel occurs, and episode where the time traveller is technically Picard, but functions as an outside force. Not to mention two episodes where Q is pulling shenanigans.

And Voyager often uses time travel extremely cheaply, such as in Endgame to basically give the crew an easy way out. Most of Voyager's time travel episodes are regular episodes, with some time travel tricks. In contrast, a lot of TNG and DS9 episodes use time travel to set up a larger point. In Tapestry, it makes a point about Picard's character, second chances, and taking risks. In Trials and Tribble-ations, it sets up the most brilliant crossover episode I've ever seen. It bears pointing out that Voyager's corresponding anniversary episode (Flashback) appears to travel through time, but takes place in Tuvok's memories, so it's not on the list. But the contrast between these episodes underlines the stark difference between TNG and DS9 time travel, and VOY time travel.

The Temporal Cold War nearly ruined Enterprise (even if it led to the half-good S3), and it's ruining STO.

What is it with STO and taking the worst of Trek (even if if does OK things with them after that)? They pick Voyager of all things to base a major expansion on, and now they pick the TCW (even if they dress it up in TOS clothes) from ENT. Having the first proper mission of DR be about Kazon, Talaxians, and Malon wasn't the best way to introduce the arc, I think.

Read the description on the store screen. It will tell you if it's an account unlock or a character unlock. I think boffs are one-time character unlocks, though.