Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>August 2016 Unearthed Arcana
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful/

What's your favorite Arcane Tradition?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/p2f7PdL
mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod
sageadvice.eu/2015/01/12/elf-trance-human-sleep/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My favourite tradition is bladesinger, they are ridiculously broken. If unearthed arcana counts, than it's the new "I can be better cleric than cleric" tradition.

>i like the most broken!
You need to reconsider your roleplaying habits, user.

How are evocation wizards like?

Shooty. You wanna be a shooty wizard, kid? Go evocation. You will probably have less firepower than sorcerers but way more utility anyway. Frankly, arcane traditions with the exception of bladesinger don't define your character too much unless you want to rp an heavily focused wizard.

Standard blaster caster artillery.
Most boring arcane tradition IMO

There is something funnier than it seems in slinging fire at things. Of course it all comes down to how you play it out, but the fact that barred schools are not a thing anymore means that you are a mage specialized in blowing shit up, but not limited to it.
Featurewise, the cantrip one is boring but poking holes in your blasts is great.

Since we already are getting stuff like Arcane clerics and Divine wizards I'be come to ask when are we getting arcane monks?
Something like an AT/EK archetype but uses ki points for metamagic system like sorcerrers.

Isn't it the whole point of the 4 elements monk.

What is Way of the Four Elements

I'd be more interested in seeing a Divine Bard, that sings hymns to a Deity to produce effects.
It'd get shit like Mass Healing Word, Bless, Command, Prayer of Healing, maybe Spiritual Weapon, etc.

College of Hymns?

Yeah, College of Hymns, College of the Choir, something like that. I'm sure a dozen homebrews for it have been made already though.

WO4E is terrible, though

Whether its terrible or not is beside the point. Arcane Monk already exists.

Hmmm, good point. The idea of the limiter is that you don't gain spellcasting, but you do get to use abilities like Fey Charm (Dryad), or Teleport (Blink Dog) at least once per day.

I can see the disconnect now though as that part IS actually supposed to carry over to the other creatures that aren't Fey to prevent eve nmore spellcasting shenanigans, and legendary actions etc.

To be honest, I've been thinking about removing that capstone and replacing it with something else that feels more...Fey like. I even considered just allowing casting spells while Fey Shaped.

No, that's an elemental monk. An arcane monk would be someone who studies magic as part of a monastic tradition. Gameplay wise, it's the difference between getting magic missiles and sleep spells versus fireballs.

Favorite arcane traditions are either Conjuration (for a dip), because the level 2 feature is so cool/interesting/awesome, or Illusion, because it is legitimately the most broken/creativity rewarding tradition.

This one: imgur.com/p2f7PdL

Nope.
Wot4e monk is an elemental caster.

The point was a monastic tradition that studies arcane magic.

Something like AT/EK .
Basically gain spell casting at lvl 3 (AT/EK spell slots, Wizard list and limited to evocation and one other school of magic) and make ki interact with it as the second lvl 3 feature by turning it into metamagic lite.

Lvl 6 to net them ritual magic.

Lvl 11 to let the use bonus action unarmed strike after spending their action on casting a spell etc.

Not being a superior psionic arts practitioner

Well, if you do the math, booming blade does do a lot of damage.

Assuming you do +5 damage modifiers, at highest level, and using rapiers because the whip was more of a gimmick:
4d8+5 damage, 4d8 extra damage if they move, an additional 1d8+5 damage for bonus attack if you hit that, for a total of 9d8+10 if you hit everything. Also, thunder damage isn't readily resisted (Sometimes thunder is resisted but magical weapons aren't, sometimes magical weapons are resisted and thunder isn't) and green flame blade can be used if two enemies are next to each other if you want the secondary damage effect to definitely take place.

Multi-attack sword and board:
4d8+20.
Multi-attack big weapon:
4d12+20.
Multi-attack is also better if you have a big weapon.

If GFB/BB's extra damage doesn't proc (enemy doesn't move and no chance to have used green flame blade):
5d8+10 damage.
So, it does deal slightly less damage. Probably best use multi-attack in that case.

Rough conversion says +5 is about +1d8
Rough conversion says 1d12 is about 1d8+2, so lets assume 2d12 is 3d8.

Big weapon: 10d8 damage.
Swordboard: 8d8 damage.
Melee Cantrip: 11d8 most. 7d8 least.
Melee cantrip whip: 10d8 most (easier to booming blade). 6d8 least. Also requires spell sniper.

Well, okay, it doesn't look ultragreat and that changes if you use magical weapons. But the whip gimmick looked cool.
War caster -> booming blade is practically a must, though.

You also can't booming blade on reach, as it must be within five feet.

You call me Necromancer, I call myself Pragmatist.

Necromancy, because I love commanding minions in combat to do my bidding. Plus I love the roleplay flavor of being a necromancer in general.

I'm not saying it's a bad build at all, it's just certainly not the "only good one". A GWM/GWF will do leagues more damage through static mod alone (8d6+60). At that point though your spells and cantrips will just be utility/defense.

You can call me a Necromancer, until I become a Lich.

>spell sniper
The cantrip's range is doubled to 10ft.

Abjuration. I never really paid the school any mind in the past but I like the features they got this time around.

Yeah. But I had the feeling it was 'the shit'.

It seems gerat weapon fighter with all the extras will probably put out more when you consider crits. Then there's also the duelling fighting style to consider.
Alternatively, dodgeman could take +1 AC.
I think the dexterity build is probably good for a tank-ish playstyle. Higher initiative, dex save, AC. Better at range.

I'm just coming upon the relization that, once again, booming blade / green flame blade is surprisingly balanced (For eldritch knight specifically). Except with war caster where booming blade is just sickening.

That could be cool.

It is pretty "boring" since all it does is blast really, really well, but blasting well is pretty nice too. It's definitely competitive with the Sorcerer in terms of blasting imo and Sculpt Spell is really nice for the blaster who doesn't want his close ranged party members to hate him. Overchannel is swell too.

If you want something that rewards creativity though, I'd suggest looking else where (Illusion).

I actually like this wizard tradition a lot. I don't know if it's balanced though but I definitely think the idea is cool.

Meh.

Go for something more interesting like portent.

Yeah using WC with booming blade in melee is just the tits honestly. I really like the EK, even if I wish they could cantrip and attack more efficiently in a fight.

For those who missed it last thread.

>Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press
mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ

What's the best option for playing a necromancer who doesn't create undead? Is it worth playing a wizard with the necromancy tradition if you aren't going to make use of the level 6 feature?

What are you hoping to do with the character, if not make undead? Depending on what it is, there might be a better tradition.

>mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ

I must have missed it in the last thread. Thank you kind sir, I've spent the last 30 or so minutes looking for this.

Bog enemies down with negative effects, kill people and steal their HP, control and/or destroy preexisting undead.

>ridiculously broken
how so...?

necromancy theurge to be honest

thank you kind sir, may goblins grovel at your feet eternally.

So /5eg/, I've been tossing the idea around and want your opinion. Which would be more fun and/or useful, an abjuration mage or a life cleric?
pic unrelated

From input from the last thread, I threw together rough draft for an Animal Styles monk. The focus is being able to keep up with damage with other martials, but also provide martial support / utility.

Also, because someone mentioned it, if you scroll down I started a section for an arcane monk. Would love some input / feedback on both. I suck at balancing.

Can you harvest the poison of a poisonous snake familiar? It seems RAW legit, in a kinda "It doesn't say you can't" kind of way, but if not why else is poisonous snake a familiar option?

They're not the actual animals, they just get their qualities, right? So it would be able to affect people with poison attacks, but you wouldn't be able to harvest it. Maybe. Animal companions are a different thing though.

>abjuration mage

I don't know if this will help them keep up with martials. Maybe have just extra damage on their attacks in a stance??

Other than that, what does the level 17 feature do?

No ideas lol, ran out of steam after typing the other stuff. Open to suggestions.

Both can be equally as fun and useful when done right, so ultimately it's whichever you like more. With that said, I personally lean towards life cleric because heals for days and being tanky is awesome.

They're both good choices. The only downsides I can think of would be for Abjurer if you get to mid/high level and your GM isn't throwing any magical enemies at you for some reason you may not feel like you're getting the most out of the path, and for Life Cleirc if you don't like being a healbot and/or don't know how to play cleric any other way than healbot you're probably not going to have a good time.

They are spirits with the same statistics as the animal, and cannot attack. I don't know if statistics includes actions.

Looking for feedback on my assorted archetypes. I got some good stuff in the last thread.

Included here:
The Oath of Penance is support and defense-based. Fluff-wise, it indicates that you had a not-so-sterling past and are looking to atone through service and self-sacrifice.

The Seeker archetype is the only one of these directly based on an earlier class, because Seekers were an awesome concept that never got their due. I tried to bring over their key features while leaving behind the junk stuff.

I'm looking for anything that's too good, not good enough, too complicated, or anything that could be exploited when combined with X. Specific trouble spots are listed at the bottom.

So I'm looking at a party of Barbarian, Ranger/Fighter, EK Fighter, Druid, and one unknown (probably not caster, first time player), and then myself. Coming in at level 10.

Should I go Monk, Cleric or Wizard?

With several martials twinned Haste and stuff would be very nice, cleric is cool but with so much tanking from the others it seems really good for a wizard

I was looking at the lower level abjuration spells and they seem pretty underwhelming to me, am I just not looking at them right?

There aren't a lot of abj spells with healing and stuff being removed, but it's still pretty good and I'd think the ward is balanced around it.

What makes abjurer so good is the magical shield they get from the class features.

I would rule that it requires a Dex check where proficiency in poisoner's kits applies. Success means you drain the snake for the day but acquire a vial of poison, one with a limited shelf life on par with the other poisons in the dmg. Failure means you get bitten.

If I did wizard it'd probably be a back-line transmutation wizard focused on buff/debuffs and battlefield control.

I figure with the classes the group already has there's not a huge amount of need for even more direct damage, but some utility won't go amiss. Also grabbing all the rituals I can to make the most of my spell slots.

How do you feel about non-traditional character sheets like these? They're meant to be printed off and written on, for numbers that fluctuate more often than not.

I use these more as reference sheets, as opposed to actually detailing every little bit.

Can you front-line wizard without going Bladesinger?

Maybe if you go Dwarf for Armor/Extra Health and Abjuration?

here's another example.

I NEED BOXES AND CLEAR FONTS REEEEEEE

...Eh, looks fine.

If you want to frontline you should probably get a fighter level for the heavy armor, con save, maybe two for the action surge. Other classes work too but fighter is quite front loaded and is good for dips.

The big dark pictures severely limit your scribble space. I'd either shrink or fade them.

I dunno if bladesinger qualifies to "front-line wizard" since frontline kinda means that you are the first one to take damage, that is to say "unexpected" damage.
And since you have to declare you're dancing, that's not as great.

Since the Abjurators' Arcane Ward doesn't have an expiration date, I think they qualify much more as wizard front liners.

But if you meant melee combatants, Bladesingers are probably better in combat.

As long as its clearly readable, I don't care. Aesthetically, it's an improvement.

Would this be OP? I like some of it a lot but resistance to nonmagical weapons and halved long rests seem a bit much.

So a 15th level, Elven Champion would complete his trance in 2 hours. That's a bit weird to me since their trance shouldn't really be improved by physical prowess.

I like the idea of making champions a bit more interesting, but I think it's just a bit over the top. Is all this supposed to stack with the improved critical etc.?

Elves' trance doesn't let them complete a long rest in less than 8 hours.

They only sleep for 4 hours to get a night's rest but I think they still have to spend the full 8 hours for a long rest (so it'd only go down to 4).

elves still need 8 hours to take a long rest, they just don't need to sleep at all and need to be in trance for 4 of them. Normal people get a long rest with max 1 hour of strenuous activity, 2 hours of non-strenuous activity and 5 hours of sleep.

Yes, it does.
>After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does after 8 hours of sleep.
Specific beats general.

sageadvice.eu/2015/01/12/elf-trance-human-sleep/

A long rest is not just sleep. It's 8 hours of downtime, period.

Correct me if I'm wrong-
If you're holding a two-handed weapon, you do not receive bonuses from a shield, right?

You can't use a two-handed weapon and a shield. A shield takes up your use of one hand, period.

Thanks friendo

Adding to this, it takes a full action to don or doff a shield, so you can't drop it and make a two-handed attack in the same turn either (action surge, bonus action attacks, etc. notwithstanding)

So a 15th level champion stays standing when they fall unconscious? That's weird as fuck.

I imagine it's more that they don't fall down completely helpless, but manage to still be somewhat defensive. So the mechanical downside isn't there, but they're still down. It's a bit weird though, and doesn't seem that useful mechanically.

The champion would end up being still i the way and more or less a target. If you go down right before the party healbots turn your up like nothing happened. Itd want champions in my party but i dont want to play a champion

I think adding some cool fluff of being the ultimate human (or other) being would make it more desirable, but the lack of cool shit to do in combat makes it seem much less attractive than BM every time.

So I'm going to play a rogue in a low magic setting, with plenty of city and field action, so since I've never played a rogue I have narrowed it to three options.

Thief, Assassin and Inquisitive.

I'm just not sure how well those do in actual games.

I'd probably say Thief/Inquisitive over Assassin, which is pretty much based around a single gimmick.

Inquisitive will do great if you have a lot of political intrigue, since your lie detection and insight will be off the charts.

/5eg/

My party have been pining for a Bag of Holding since day 1.

I think they are ready for one and it might make them RP a bit more.

How should I give them the bag?

They are so hyped for one I almost want to dash it for them, like have a workman loading brick after brick into it, bids them good day and carries on with his work. There is no grand quest, it isn't in a hoard of a monster, it's why Arnold Flagger is the best bricklayer in Amphail.

Anyone think of any other ways to give them the bag?

You could have them quest a little. Have a thief making off with far more than he should be able to carry, by himself. They'll get what he's got and THE CHASE IS ON.

Come up with a contrived bag of holding / portable hole situation that will doom a town if disturbed.

Some seemingly innocent but secretly shady dude offers it in exchange for an innocent service that would eventually lead to something bad happening and plans to trick them by giving them one of the cursed ones that bites your hand off, but he accidentally gives them the bag of holding (which has evidence showing that the thing they did is part of a larger scheme which they can now stop) and the cursed bag eats the guy.

Illusion has always been my favorite in previous editions, but now that divination isn't complete useless shit it's pretty nice because of the fluff, and the certainty that they can have about their abilities.

So Illusion, but the munchkin in me has warmed up to divination a lot.

>bladesinger... broken.
Bladesinger might be the shittiest tradition. l2wizard bruh.

I had an idea similar to this, the thief puts the bag through a small window in the back of a shop, 4 Gnomes get out, dump everything into the bag, get back in themselves and the guy pulls the bag out with a rope attached to the strap.

Nice trips.

I am planning on doing this with the immovable rod, something to do with unshackling a demon or something.

Hmm, I do like bumbling evil guys.

The bumbling evil guy could be the thief. By day he works as a brick layer. All the clues of 'people who can carry a lot of shit' point to the brick layer (who stole the stuff as part of his evil plan).

Make sure the party sees him get eaten by the bag.

Cute idea, but bags of holding are supposed to suffocate living creatures. If you want to allow those shenanigans though, be my guest.

In 10 minutes. It doesn't take 10 minutes to throw a bag through a window.

Hmm fair enough. I guess I imagined a different scenario

Do you level up your party's familiars, mounts, etc? If they're actively participating it seems reasonable. If this is in the DM guide, I don't have it on me, it just came to mind.

So, what's the opinion on Sun Soul monks? They seem pretty good, desu, cause their abilities are all spammable and inflatable with ki.

I swear to god the dm boner I get from linking one-shots to the main quest gives me reason to live
>Have main campaign with 3 guys, a fourth newbro wants to join
>2 important pc can't join the next session
>have a 1shot session with newbro, one of the campaign members, a friend who was in town for the weekend
>buncha nomadic halflings investigating ruins for a rumored treasure
>they finally get to the treasure, an elixir, lift it up and in sterotypical trap style, the room turns into a deathcage
>moments before incineration, one of the halflings drinks the potion and lands into the main campaign
>now has the guilt of abandoning his fellows as a part of his backstory

Potion resulted in teleportation**

Both of the UA traditions, Artificer (sort of) and Theurgist. I really like how they expand my support options (especially when no one else wants to touch that subject...)

oooooooohhhh the plot thickens.

Yeah I imagined that they would get in around the corner and then go from there.

It's a decent combat upgrade but you'll be sorely lacking in utility skills. It's not bad if you're there to fight though.