What is your favorite kind of monarch?

What is your favorite kind of monarch?
What kind of monarch does your current setting have?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_of_the_French_sovereign
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Constitutional Monarch that still has some influence (Victoria, Edwardian Monarchs) or Frederick the Great/Peter the Great massive reforming, passionate monarchs with absolute power.

Several; ranging from existing monarchies today to autocratic theocratic monarchs who rule vast houses of noble supporters out around Jupiter that arose from the pressures of deep space life and new political/theological ideologies.

Elected monarchs for life
King Washington

Eh, not always so great - ask the >H>R>E about them some time

Constitutional Monarchs are pretty good overall, though there is something to be said for the Absolute Powah of an Absolute Monarch - they can be more interesting/fun, if not actually good.
Monarchs in Space are pretty cool, of pretty much any flavour.

None, because I don't have a setting and don't have a game

A dead one.
Unless it's Napoléon. Napoléon is a good guy and he doesn't afraid of anything.

>Napoléon is a good guy
>le fossoyeur de la Révolution
Nah...

The one that I can manipulate so I have all the power without ever coming out into the spotlight.

>What is your favorite kind of monarch?
Monarchs the players can kill
>What kind of monarch does your current setting have?
17th century monarchs

Haman/Scirocco, pls go.

A dead one.

I'd rather have a practical tyrant, the kind who is interested in doing the best for his or her kingdom, and understands people so that they can make everything work without denying certain freedoms and human rights. A tyrant who wants to make their domain flourish but has no interest in cruelty, or at least not enough that they start starving the people and sucking them dry with taxes. Rather they sublty influence and control people, using human traits and imperfections to advance their plans, they recognise that people can be more useful as citizens in a community than as slaves in shackles.

It's possible, but so unlikely that for the sake of practicality it might as well be impossible. Think Lord Vetinari.

>What kind of monarch does your current setting have?

Pic related.

I've also got an Elven Gustavus Adolphus and an Alexander Nevsky.

>He actually thinks the revolution was about dethroning a monarch
>He doesn't know Napoleon ruled by the Grace of the Constitution
>He hasn't read Voltaire

Though admittedly Napoleon would've been better if he had just stuck with his "Consul for Life" schtick.

>ruled by the Grace of the Constitution
When he was L'Empereur?

The hilariously gross, abusive, tyrannical kind. The kind who make for entertaining villains.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_of_the_French_sovereign
>Bonapartist: "X, By the Grace of God and the Constitutions of the Republic, Emperor of the French." (X, par la grâce de Dieu et les Constitutions de la République, Empereur des Français.)

You might've noticed
>Republic
>Emperor
Yeah... it's weird. That's why I believe "Consul for Life" would've worked better, which title Napoleon initially had before going full Romaboo.

The Grand Consul is the elected head of the Consensus and is marked by his crown of authority, this being born out of the dethroning of the hereditary king who's wife and son fled to territory held by his Brother in law.

They are equal parts inspired by Napolean and Arcadia from FFXII. It's a life long position but any family of the Gran Consul will have to work their way up the political ladder just like mom or dad did and have to join the Consensus to be even considered for the running.

Aside from them is the Consensus of Wisdom which is a group of three, highly revered individuals whom are consulted when the Consensus and the Grand Consul are in a gridlock and a definite answer must be given. Once they rule on a subject it's essentially final but otherwise they live in a tower and are not apart of the over all political machinations of the Government and can choose their successors in whatever fashion they choose.

The big secret behind them is that they are all liches and can voluntarily choose to give up their lichdom and pass it on to someone else when they get tired of living.

Probably looked to the Roman Republic and its Imperators more than to the > > >'s ways.

>Quints
>3's referring to the Trias Politica
>3's referring to Napoleon III'd, Napoleon I's successor
>3's referring to the three forms of government France has known: Kingdom, Empire and Republic
>3's referring to the status of Paris as the Third Rome

VIVE L'EMPEREUR

Yeah, but given he wrote the constitution and got it voted in, isn't that like a "People's Republic"-type styling?

There was no secret ballot and every referendum he proposed (Constitution of the year VIII (1799), Consul-for-life (1802), and Emperor (1804)) had over 99% support - not something that you get in free elections, but very common in "Republics"

The Constitution of Year VIII was originally going to actually be one, given that Sieyès wrote it, but aparently old Napper got a re-write in after his coup

>isn't that like a "People's Republic"-type styling?
According to Napoleon's own words, it was more of a Roman Republican style "emergency" dictatorship or a "dictature de salut public".

My favorite kind of monarch is MIGHTY!

Napoleon got as close to fighting on the front lines as a monarch could get in those days, and I'm positive that's one of the reasons people liked him.

He wasn't a monarch back then, but I think he even got stabbed in the thigh during Toulon. And then there's Arcole, but while popular depiction puts him on the front in reality he was 55 paces from the front. Still, 55 paces. That's well within musket range.

That's because he was a leader and hero already before becoming Emperor.