Playing D&D

>playing D&D
>spend 5 hours making a character
>rolling dice for attributes
>having to decide a good class based on my stat array as well as something I'd wanna play and doesn't crossover too much with other players
>have to pick feats that at least help in synergizing with my build
>pick some worthwhile skills
>make up a fairly standard backstory with a hook just to help me get into the setting more
>GM spends first hour of the game introducing me and other party members
>first dungeon
>I fail a spot check and don't notice that the floor is crumbling
>I fall to my death
>"Well [OP] guess you better make a new character!"

can... can I not?

Other urls found in this thread:

orcpub.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>5 hours making a DnD character
Bullshit, I've seen total newbs make characters for more complex systems in less than an hour

>Erase name on character sheet
>Write new name on character sheet

You're done.

>not having a backup PC rolled up

Did the DM at least warn you guys that his game was going to be lethal?

Oh hey, its our daily 'make a cliche greentext railing on the failings of an unnamed D&D game and watch the regular atendees tear each other to pieces' thread.

Heres some hints OP:

Give feedback to your GM, or get someone else to do it. Heres a revolutionary idea, do it yourself and fix what you thought the other guy did wrong.

Try playing a different version of D&D, or maybe another game entirely. If detailed character creation and spot checks rubbed you up the wrong way, maybe take a look on /osrg/, i'm sure they can find something to your tastes.

Try communicating more with your group. You could petition the GM to run a particular system or module that piques your interest, or create a group of characters with backstories that play off each other.

Basically do stuff other than posting bait on Veeky Forums.

>not playing 'OCs' with proper personalities and stories
>not playing point buy so character's attributes are befitting
>literally every character is Generic McRandom
>not having a party that will do their damnedest to retrieve your corpse to get you resurrected

>not having a DM that is clever enough to turn you into a ghost or whatnot for the duration of your death

>Try playing a different version of D&D, or maybe another game entirely. If detailed character creation and spot checks rubbed you up the wrong way, maybe take a look on /osrg/, i'm sure they can find something to your tastes.

I like how you went so far as to pretend you were taking the high road, acting like you figured out all the failings of OP, only to sneak in this little bit, all while pretending that you're not just here to shitpost alongside OP.

We get it. You and OP hate popular systems and need to take every opportunity you can to try to get people to play other systems. We hear it in every thread, and it's precisely because you can't resist posting about your little missionary work that OP knew all he had to do was offer out a little bait to reel in a big dumb troll like yourself.

The fact that you had the gall to pretend that you were genuinely offering OP advice, like OP even gave a shit beyond waiting to hear you spout your "Stop playing D&D!" meme, is why I had to stop and call you out on it.

For shame.

But, since you're so high and mighty, I don't have to worry about you trying to reply to this, because you'd recognize that the last thing we need is another pointless systems debate.

WHAT? Did you read the phb cover to cover while making the character?

>playing 5th edition for the first time
>spend about thirty minutes making a character after briefly scanning the races and background section
>high elf wizard, neutral good, sage background, etc.
>roll stats, scribble down important stuff
>spend about five minutes deciding which cantrips and level 1 spells I'll select
>don't bother with a detailed backstory because that's what the first five levels of play are for

>My Dm sucks
>Must be the system

Seriously get a clue.

>Spend hours making character
>Toil away at a backstory and motivations
>Create a fun and interesting concept to play
>doodle out your characters looks
>DM glances over your charactersheet, says he likes your backstory
>First session starts
>DM introduces my character as looking like a cliche of my class
>Says the party just finds me working as a guard in some not important town they're blowing through

okay.jpg

Dubs or not, that's cheating.

I've been in games where we took the entirety of session 1 building characters because most of the party was new and we only had one book to pass around between the 4-6 of us.

It happens mate, especially for games that give you a shitload of options to choose from at level 1 without any basic guide as to how to actually build your character.

So is killing someone off from one failed roll in the first session.

Welp, Richard Petty is here.

Thread over.

how does it take you that long
are you autistic

How do you guys feel about rolling before making the character? Like I have a much easier time starting with the stats, and then building the backstory based on how good or bad the rolls are.

Why would you ever do it the other way? I'm Big McLargehuge, orc barbarian and I love RIPPING AND TEARING!!
8 str
8 con
14 dex
14 wiz
18 int
10 cha

>uses his intelligence to make elaborate trapsand tools that ensnare and then rip and tear his enemies apart
>everything is made with just strings, rope, junk and ingenuity
>orc barbarian McGuyver

You can make it work.

FTFY:
18 str
14 con
14 dex
10 wiz
8 int
8 cha
You choose where the numbers go, zoggit

>14 wiz

how does he have 14 wizards? or is it a level 14 wizard? or a 14 year old wizard? or 14 cans of cheese wiz?

I've yet to have a GM that actually allowed me to properly play a trapper/sapper type character, or even a proper rogue.

It's always "the battle takes place in a well lit dungeon with no cover" or "the battle takes on a flat plain with no cover"

The only games I've ever been able to play a truly sneaky character who waits with traps or an ambush has been OWoD and GURPS.

Didn't know that, never played DnD, so basically most of the complaint about this shit are just whining?
You know that's not the character I had it mind,if you're creative enough anything can work but if you just wanted to axe shit to death as a stereotypical orc then this is displeasing
meant WIS

>meant WIS
Really? I could have sworn you put points into acquiring a 14 year old wizard side kick for your barbarian.

what is sarcasm

Also whether or not you can put your results can change from group to group. Some groups like more random chargen.

Sabuk? Is that you?

>"the battle takes place in a well lit dungeon with no cover" or "the battle takes on a flat plain with no cover"

Shit dm fault this time desu.
Every edition dm handbook says to not make fights like that

Here's the thing though.

D&D's random rolling is the most boring and stale kind of "random generation" I can think of cause all it does it tell you how good or bad you at at something with no actual structure. It primarily just gives you a list of "you can do this well but not this" and then expects you to just fill in the gaps. That's... boring.

At least Traveller lets you build your hero's career from when they're a kid to even their potential end.

with D&D you may as well just pick an array and randomly roll which number goes to which attribute. No seriously: Just pick any given array, pick a number and roll a d6.

1 = Strength
2 = Dexterity
3 = Constitution
4 = Intelligence
5 = Wisdom
6 = Charisma

re-roll when you get a result already filled and fairly soon you'll get a randomly generated array of numbers that'll give you about as much information as any other kind of rolling for numbers thind D&D will ask you to do.

>I wait in hiding for the enemy to walk by.
>Great, they never do.
>I set up a bear-trap on the path and conceal it. I then wait within range with my crossbow at the ready.
>Great, nothing happens.
>I could scout ahead and position myself to plant a bolt in the bosses skull.
>Nah, lets just rush the room.
>Crit for max damage while flanking
>The wizard only drops to half health and responds with a save or die to your face.

Every. God. Damn. Game.

>in a village being where the townspeople are being possessed by some aberration (I forget the one)
>I'm a low level rogue
>paladin just got a weapon that this creature is weak against
>it receives a fairly large DR to anything else
>we are fighting two in the middle of the street
>nowhere to hide
>can't sneak attack anyway, creature is immune
>go to one of the buildings to take pot shots with my crossbow
>even at max damage critting I'm only dealing maybe 1-2 damage, otherwise just wasting bolts
>warmage can at least cast spells and shit
>cleric can buff paladin
>"is there anything I can use in the environment to gain an upper hand?"
>"uhhh no"
>spend the whole encounter just shooting my crossbow
>"Did everyone have fun this session?

wew yall have had some bad dms

TBF a lot of monsters in the monster manual are straight up immune to critical hits/sneak attack.

Which is kinda like making a class called "The Itchy and Scratchy Moneyer" and then you walk into Itchy and Scratchy Land and this metaphore has lost control but you still get it right?

Not since I've left D&D and it's siblings, thank god.

>Stare at classes
>Stare at races
>Stare at feats
>Stare at possibilities
>Roll
>Good rolls
>make a fun character
>Get yelled at for making a fun character instead of power gaming character

It wasn't even a complete bullshit character with no redeeming factors.

Which d&d?

Because of its 3.x?

I've been playing that shit since it came out and it takes me like a fucking week.

That's what happens when you have to meet outrageous prereqs to hit your prcs. You don't build all character, you plot advamcement through 20 levels.

You don't build a l1 character*

Your DM just didn't want you there. He was trying to be polite and not just say don't come back.

Totes reasonable.

Change the first name. You had a twin. Problem solved.

Yeah that always pissed me off, I get that I can do other things with my abilities and what not, but those are mostly at the DM's discretion, so in combat I'm kind of useless in those scenarios, especially at early levels when you don't have cool weapons with bonuses and shit. There were definitely some cool moments where I was able to do neat shit like sneak into an camp of bugbears or orcs or something and take them all out in their sleep, but even then it's incredibly risky, and if it goes wrong the other party members can actually do something.

Only pussies reassign stats.

3D6 straight roll, then you design your character based off of what you got.

This 4d6 assign where I want it dick-jerking is for babies.

Switch two stats fag.

okay

that's literally all I can say to immature accusations of a lack of manhood over pretend games.

What the fuck are you doing user being a "class"? Real fucking men start play as level 1 commoners and earn their fun.

>Campaign Trigger Warning
>Lethal

Can't we just assume by the fact that the game inherently involves violence that we don't need a warning that we might die?

>mfw this pro owns all these babies

Yeah but most campaigns aren't "fail one check and it's game over" lethal until you get a ways in

D&D is explicitly a game that gets *less* lethal the longer you play

Yeah but there's more instant death spells and shit, I guess you're right though

Very few instant death spells overall.

At high levels a rarely taken high-powered spell kills you outright, but you have a reasonable chance of no effect at all.

At low levels a routine basic attack kills you outright, it probably hits, and of you're lucky if just does damage rather than killing you.

There's a reason people call level 1-3 d20 "rusty dagger shanktown" and start at 4-6

>I like how you went so far as to pretend you were taking the high road, acting like you figured out all the failings of OP, only to sneak in this little bit, all while pretending that you're not just here to shitpost alongside OP.

By 'Try another system', I mean that if the one you currently have has things you don't like its often a good idea to have a read around any contenporaries you might like the look of.

Opinion is subjective. Everyone has systems and styles of play that they enjoy and ones that they do not. Just because others like a system it dosen't mean you will, and vice versa. I might not play, for example, much 4e often but I acknowlege that it has things it does well that attract players with particular tastes. The same kind of thing applies to all tabletop games that maintain a playerbase.

I don't enjoy railing on particular systems but if you don't enjoy one you're perfectly welcome to go hunting for something you might take to more. I tried to come up with something for OP but his greentext is relatively ambiguous so it may not be a brilliant solution.

I've seen experienced players take way longer than that. When you have a shitload of options to ponder, and you have some incentive to think ahead about where you want to go with your character (which is typically a good idea in 3.X and 4e, looks like also 5e but to a lesser degree), you get some people spending a lot of time fine-tuning builds, deciding which order to pick up various feats and class features, and that sort of thing, and they typically have to have at least a very solid idea of all that straight from level 1 because if they don't then they might have to delay starting that prestige class they want for an extra couple levels.

That said, "fail a skill check u die lol" is pretty much a textbook example of circumstances appropriate to just using the same character under a different name, or a nearly-identical one. Or quitting and finding a better group, that's also a solid choice there.

Also a solid reason start at level 5.

I usually start my players at level 4 when I DM (unless I want them to start relatively high level), it seems like a good starting point without being super swingy.

D&D 5e seems to do this pretty well, starting from level 1.

It takes very little exp to get to level 2, and only slightly more for level 3. It gives you some time to think about where you want to go, without punishing you too much. It isn't really that stupid to just give the players a full level after the first "encounter", even if it was just a few goblins (Who can, to be fair, kill you quite quickly with a few lucky rolls)

But I also prefer a bit quicker progression. I dislike D&D for its very "jumpy" progression, where you can go literally weeks without any kind of progression, and suddenly, you level up, and all of a sudden, you have a shit ton of new skills, are better at fighting, new feats, etc.

It is also a lot less difficult to just straight up die in 5e, unless your GM is being an idiot.

I don't see one sentence that says he's blaming the system. The DM is just being shit and not considering that perhaps falling to your death in random, unforeseen circumstances isn't fitting for a big hero type system that encourages making lasting and well developed characters. I certainly wouldn't make more fodder if my GM wasn't creative enough to come up with something better than "save or die" before building any tension whatsoever.

>I played one of the worst games ever written
>it wasn't good

Alright then, let's make a character in 5 min.

>orcpub.com/

Oh shit already done.

Fuck off OP

oh look, it's eternally triggered bitch-user.

So you're one of those fags who throw a tantrum if your special snowflake character ever dies, so the GM has to fudge all rolls? LITERALLY a cancer on the hobby.

Maybe freeform is more your thing.

tell your GM that the lethality of a game should be inversely proportional (or less) to the duration of character generation.

>5 hours to make a character
Bullshit.
In any version of DnD it takes.. 15 minutes tops.

Of course if you are one of those that sit down to plan out their entire level-ups, what skill to put points into to meet prestige classes requirements etc... Well then you are not role playing but might as well just google "Best DND build" and "play" that.
Because you sure as hell aren't roleplaying

In our group we're allowed to change out feats and stuff that we've chosen in the first few levels if we're unable to get something later, just so we can get to playing as fast as possible. Readjusting your level-ups and progress chain is something you can fiddle with at home at a later date.

>Can't we just assume
No we can't. Otherwise we get threads like this.

I used 5 hours 30 minutes in making a minmaxed lvl 18 scout/ranger in dnd 3.5 including the lore.

>Putting effort into the crunch side of your character automatically means you're bad at and don't care about roleplaying or good backstory.
This is the worst Veeky Forums meme desu