Why dont people like the necron?

Why dont people like the necron?

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos_Android
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Metal skeletons and ancient Egypt is dull.

They're trying to enslave all sentient life.

>ancient Egypt is dull
u wot m8

>Metal skeletons is dull

u wot?

>and
u wot

>what is subjective opinions?

Their flying croissants are silly.

Their inclusion in 40k is unnecessary and their current fluff is pretty shitty.

Its fascinating to see how Necron players are all mindless drones responding with preprogrammed responses to antagonists. They're just like their faction!

They are lifeless.

I feel that way about the Tyranids

Mainly because they were completely soulless, killing machines, fluff-wise (though recently they are becoming better are have some actual personality and gimmicky stuff, like Trazyn the Infinite who steals everything and puts it in a giant personal museum, or the one (forgot his name) whos basically a senile old guy, thinking everyone is still a necrontyr and stuff.

In short, they're kinda dull, but slowly getting better and ppl haven't had the time to adjust their opinion overall yet, Maybe, who knows, maybe they'll still be considered boring and dumb

I like their design though (disregard Chaos marine here

Nah, Tyranid are awesome Lovecratian space monsters. Those are more important to include than some silly metal skeletons.

Tyranids are your cliched "space bugs" race though.

Their design would make for a totally radical space pirate sort of guy, or with a bit more variation even a little band of them.

An entire army with practically no variation and literally no personalities? I'll pass.

Nah, Tyranid is a multicultural genetic culture.

That is pretty unlikable, but I have a hard time believing it's the only reason.

I just think that they are uninteresting compared all the other factions. Everyone just looks the same.

I used to like Necrons until they all became Tomb Kings in spaaaace.

Tyranids are only Lovecraftian in the broadest sense of their definition. As in they're an entity that exists with nothing but hunger and devour all in their path.

Once you get past that concept though, they're just space bugs.
Not knocking Tyranids, but they are pretty unoriginal.

No they aren't not even close. Nids are just an alien locus swarm not even close to Lovecraftian. C'tan fluff is closer to being Lovecraftian than the Nids.

And Chtulhu is just a big green Doctor Zoidberg. What's your point?

I used to like Necrons for the same thing I loved Tyranids - they were united as a faction. One vision, one purpose, none of these stupid interfaction wars. Newcrons completely ruined that feeling to me, so I sold my army and never got back. Although rules for the new codex were much, much better than the old ones, that is a cold fact.

I never liked Oldcrons and Newcrons. The inclusion of the C'tan as the "just as planned" source of all evil just soured the setting for me.

So you literally liked the two most boring factions precisely because they were boring?

>Egypt

They are Mesopotamians you troglodyte

Indistinguishable to the average person.

They are not cool like Space Wolves or Tyranids.

I liked them because I liked their themes, art and unity. I couldn't care less about "Your Dudes" concept - I find it extremely stupid.

There is nothing wrong with that. To each his own.

I actually really liked oldcrons. They had a really fun, unique look, and I adored their morbid black-and-green colour-scheme.

In fact...

Looking through the necron range I kind of want to throw together a couple of different ones into a Rayman 2 style pirate warband.

I don't need more models in my backlog, dammit...

>Lovecratian space monster
You talking Chaos?

I think your entitled to your own opinion.

But I think I'm entitled to my own opinion, which says that your opinion is shit.

honestly they're one of the coolest factions to me lore-wise but they could have done something so much cooler visually given that they're the zombie space robot slaves of literal star eating god-beings

their entire army is just dumb looking roboskellies and dumb looking roboskellies in vehicles. necron lords with their staves and head decoration and whatnot look cool but thats it

cybork freebooters.

>All of these shit opinions about the master race, the saviours of the galaxy, the only true hope against chaos, the ones who actually stand a chance against the Tyranids

I do like the necrons, but here are some thoughts.

First, the change from oldcrons to newcrons was so jarring and so major a change that you now have twice as much to be alienated by. Going from Terminator to Tomb Kings was a major thematic change that really wasn't well handled. They'd have been smarter to have done it over two codex editions.

Second, the homage was too obvious. Yes, yes, space elves and orks. I get it. But their orks are different than Tolkien's and others. More unique to the setting and more fun. The elves had a melange of sci fi and cultural inspirations, most notably the unique egyptian&celtic iconography. They went from very obviously Terminator-inspired to very obviously Egyptian-inspired. Only a little effort to broaden their influences and create their own unique mix would have paid big dividends.

Third, a couple of the newest models are terrible-- in particular the croissants. It doens't help that they were very powerful in game and so you saw them a lot. Plus they pulled Pariahs, which were unique a cool-looking.

Finally, the addition to the lore made them seem tacked on at the end (which they were). First there were no characters, and now there are but they're too cartoonish and silly to take seriously. Also, as they become more themable, the special rules are being deemphasized and they're turning into Just Another Army List.

Oh and finally GW sucks these days. There, I said it.

>given that they're the zombie space robot slaves of literal star eating god-beings

Not for the last 5 years, unless you mean historically.

Well, necrons aren't really Egyptian either. See where I'm getting with it?

I think personally the reason people dislike necrons in general is mainly do to the fact that they as a faction are quite boring,the fact that their lore is also lackluster means that there is not really any reason for anyone to collect them right now.I personally preferred the tomb kings approach to the lore but there just is not enough unit variety or fluff / characters for the necrons in general to justify collecting them.Honestly GW just needs to touch up their fluff a bit with a few new characters that are not silly as fuck or generic as fuck and add a few models.Then people might actually care enough to consider collecting the crons. If that`s not done then I fear that this kinda cool faction will slowly devolve into Just Another Army List.

Are you trying to seduce me?

yes i do

On the tabletop, they have rules that are somewhat obnoxious.

This.

In retrospect, it seems a little short-sighted making Space Skellingtons rock that whole "exterminate all life" anthem.

When they were "Necron Raiders." they were cool. I could see them today as a 40k version of ye olde FB Mercenary Companies. In 40 terms, Allies for Nurglesque CSM warbands and DE raiding parties - both of whom would consider them eminently disposable. But there's room for some soapy drama fluff by mashing them up with Orks, too.

As is, they're the novelty store army - those wind-up chattering teeth.

Hold on a moment, did you just say hope?
No no no, we can't have that!

tyranids are the reason the cliché exists

Tyranids are worse tbhf

>Starship Troopers (1959)
>Ender's Game (1985)
>Riftwar (1982)
>Nor Crystal Tears (1982)
>Armor (1984)
>Rogue Trader: 1987
>Codex: Tyranids: 1993

I cannot even begin to tell you how wrong that is.

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos_Android

Pic Unrelated

I feel that way about the tau.

I think the big problem is that they cross over with the Eldar waaaaay too much. They both have the same gimmick of once great empire with impossibly advanced technology that's now fallen into shambles and is a shadow of what it once was, hell the Eldar even have zombie robots with the various different wraith constructs. The only real distinction they have is that they're even older and even more impossibly advanced which doesn't really make sense when you consider they fought each other in the War in Heaven, obviously they aren't that much more advanced then the Eldar or they would've easily won. Also their old aesthetic of space terminators was really bland and their new aesthetic of ancient egypt in space is just so horribly, unbelievable derivative of the tomb kings from warhammer fantasy, they're almost the exact same faction basically but with a sci fi spin to them (yeah I know you can describe a lot of 40k factions that way but it isn't quite as shameless usually as with the necrons).

Holy shit really, source?

>obviously they aren't that much more advanced then the Eldar or they would've easily won.

You went full retard. Stop going full retard. I mean come on you should be ashamed of yourself for being this much of a retard.

When they were Necrontyr they had superior technologies to the Old Ones. Once they allied with the C'tan and the C'tan showed them the cosmic secrets of all existences, they curbstomped the Old Ones and their allies races with contemptuous easy. Nothing was capable of stopping their death march. It continued until the Old Ones were exterminated.

At the moment of their victory, the Necrons turned the C'tan and resulting war wounded the Necrons mortally and weakened them to the point that the Eldar and other races were a threat to them which made them flee to the Great Sleep.

The major difference between the Eldar and Necrons is that the Necron are going through resurgence and revival of their empire. This is presented as inevitability. The Eldar on the other hand as doomed to extinction. They cannot escape their fate (Without the whole Ynnead bullshit). The Necrons are rising, the Eldar are dying.

Now I want you to apologize for being a retard. Do it now.

turned on the C'tan.

indistinguishable to anyone failed elementary history

Hows about no faggot go fuck yourself.

Again, you went full retard. Instead of apologizing for you obvious retardation and butchery of the lore, you lashed out because know in your heart that you are a retard.

This the problem with Eldar players they are infested with people like you.

I like 'em. I like the aesthetic and the whole idea of an empire that has sacrificed, everything, minds, bodies, souls, to the cause of survival and power.

That said, I like most things. So I'm probably not the best at providing critique.

no u

wasnt there a thing about how they ate all the souls in the galaxy till there werent enough souls left in the galaxy so they had to go hibernate till theres enough souls again to eat?

No. That's distorted version of the Oldcron lore you just said..

so whats the newcron version? they went to war with their gods?

They curbstompted the Old Ones.
Turned on the C'tan and sharded them
Got weakened by the war with the C'tan
Fled into the Great Sleep to flee the vengeance child races of the Old Ones, chief among them the rising Eldar race.