Total War: Warhammer General

Welcome to the Total War: Warhammer General where players can discuss the game, Total War: Warhammer, what they hope will be seen in the future, and discuss strategies with each other and give advice.

If one of those large 20 stack armies from Total War: Warhammer is transferred onto the tabletop, what would its points limit be? What I'm talking about is a standard army with up to 10 units being from the special section, up to 5 units from the rare section, a minimum of 5 units from the core section and the army containing a single lord and two heroes.

One day I will have a computer that can run this, one day. By then it will either be a lot cheaper or way more expensive thanks to mounds of DLC.

"It's shit" - t. Everyone with half a brain

Medieval 2 autist detected

Shit-eating shill detected

But people with a complete brain knows that it's a good, if flawed game and easily the best one since Shogun 2, if not Medieval 2

In fact I'd probably go

Rome>Medieval 2>Warhammer>Shogun 2>Napoleon>Atilla>Rome 2>Empire

All Medieval 2 needs to change to make it one of my top games ever is to make the AI not go full retard in sieges and bring back pre-battle speeches.

Shogun 2>Rome>Medieval 2>Shogun>Literal Shit>Napoleon>Atilla>Warhammer>Empire>Rome 2

How did I end up in Veeky Forums? I was browsing /d/-lite just a moment ago

This definitely belongs on Veeky Forums more than anything.

That being said, I've heard this game is okay if you can afford the 100 dollar DLC tax they stapled onto it. Can I play a skaven army?

I got the Sigvald book because of this game. What an interesting character.

Not yet.

i'm sorry

This.

I got WHTW because it had 'Warhammer' in its title and I'm a big fan of Warhammer, and a few hours later I regretted my purchase.

Warhammer Total War plays very arcady and boring, I couldn't recommend it to anyone.

It has no depth. I'm not even talking about including all 13 factions in the game, just fleshing out the stuff they decided to include.

To give you an example, in the good Total War Games each basic unit comes in a lot of varieties. So there could be, like, a spear guy unit, and there'll be regional variations (Eastern European spear guy, Muslim spear guy, Spanish spear guy), variations in skill (well-trained spear guy, levy spear guy), variations in special ability (spear guy unit that hides well, spear guy unit that can form a shield wall), that sort of thing. And all those variations look different, and a lot of them sound different. Warhammer Total War just has 'spear guy unit' with no variations. It's so boring. No attempt was made.

I realized this when I attacked the Moot with an army of generic undead and I noticed there were no halflings. The Moot, canonically the central spot for the Halfling population of the Empire, and there were no hobbit archers or anything defending it and it didn't look any different from any other settlement. Don't get too excited exploring the map: Kislev, Estalia, Tilea all have the same Empire units. Don't expect to see any unique units, or flavored units, or subfaction specific units, or anything at all interesting: if you're lucky it'll be added through DLC eventually.

The campaign map is the worst of any Total War game. Even the biggest battle takes like 15 minutes. Wizards are only good for tedious buffing abilities. Characters just don't work well in the engine and are either worthless or so overpowered they can kill entire armies.

I would love for Estalia to get a massive expansion. Instead of being a copy-paste of the Empire, they would get their own unique units. My list of changes are:
>Generals get renamed to Commanders.
>Witch Hunters get renamed to Inquisitors. They become a mix of Warrior Priest and Witch Hunter.
>Warrior Priests become Priestesses of Myrmidia. Like Warrior Priests but Hammer of Sigmar and Shield of Faith get renamed to Spear of Myrmidia and Shield of Myrmidia respectively and Soulfire gets replaced with Command the Legion which is a leadership buff. Benediction grants improved speed to units instead.
>Pikemen get brought back in The Empire, the Border Princes, Estalia and Tilea.
>No Halberdiers.
>Knightly Orders get replaced with Caballeros. They either wield a Lance, Shield and Barding or a Pistol and spear.
>Pistoliers replaced with Genitors, equipped with Javelins and Shields. Less melee capabilities than Marauder Horsemen but are better armored.
>Almogovars added. They are vanguard infantry who harass with Javelins or pistols.
>War Dogs added. Cheaper and weaker than Chaos Warhounds.
>Greatswords replaced with Black Watchmen. Nearly identical but wield Halberds instead of Great Weapons.
>Royal Guard added. Elite Handgunners. Better range, better accuracy, better melee abilities if they get caught, better armor.
>Outriders replaced with Conquistadors. Equipped with Handguns and Pistols instead of Repeater Handguns. Not as good at ranged but better in the whirl of melee.
>Reiksguard replaced with Knights of the Righteous Spear and Knights of the Blazing Sun.
>Sisters of Fury added. Fast elite infantry.
>Only two artillery pieces. Mountain Guns and Culverins. Mountain Guns are weaker than normal cannons but fire faster. They can also Scatter Shot at close range to shred infantry. Culverins are typical cannons.
>Fire Bulls added. The Estalian answer to Razorgors.

I can't say I *hate* any TW game, but this is largely right. Shogun 2 is best, but I prefer Medieval 2 to Rome cause I played it first yanno.
But aye, Shogun 2 is just so committed to the theme? It's like every single facet of it oozes Japanese, at least to a westerner

That's not even mentioning the DLC: when you pay full retail price for this game, what you're buying is essentially a package for more and more DLC to be added on in the future until someone decides that the game has been exploited to its maximum potential.

If you think that receiving some tiny tidbits of DLC for free is worth having your entire game partitioned to the point where the full game, when its eventually finishes, costs a hundred dollars or more, well you're free to dig your own grave by supporting these business practices.

The first DLC is Beastmen as a playable race. It costs $20USC, one third of the price of the base game. This is what you have to look forward to.

>20 stack

You can have 40 Units on each side on a single battle map.

>muh unit variety

literally giving away your attila babby status.

the Empire units alone have more variety than all of the "spear and chainmail flavoured units" in attila had combined.

>muh op heroes
welcome to Warhammer

>muh regional variations

oh you mean like the colourful spear ashigaru in Shogun 2?

>literally giving away your attila babby status.

I don't understand. I've played Total War games since the original Shogun Total war, actually back in those days was when I played the most out of those games. What did I say in my post that made you think I started with Rome II?

Here's an example from one of the originals, Medieval 1.

Medieval 1 archer variations -> Archers, Bulgarian brigands, Desert archers, Genoese sailors, Golden horde foot archers, Hashishin, Janissary archers, Ottoman infantry, Trebizond archers, Turcoman foot soldiers, Longbowmen

WHTW archer variations: "Empire archers"

Really? That's it?