Malifaux General - Desperate for Spoilers Edition

books;
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.
New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

>Stranger bearing gifts
m.imgur.com/a/tjdx4

Still no models or Arcanists in sight.

You just beat me to a repost. I heard a guy say that the new cowboys are tormented bandits. I'm quite happy with this.

But I realize I'm talking more about Jack Daw then either Viks or Von Schill. Anyway, what's everyone looking forward to?

Mostly the Reva box and Anna that are on their way.

I wasn't initially sold on Reva until I started to consider how her corpse marker based threat range lets her threaten and control a lot of the board, especially with the Shieldbearers.

Anna sounds like a good no fun allowed henchman that I'll have to find a good place for.

Murder Bull and Genie.
I love big models
Although apparently Genie is summon only, boo.

I can't imagine he'll be a tough summon given how key it is.

I'm dying to get Jaakuna built and painted because I want to desperately try out Dr. Faust's nylon painting technique cause...she's the model I want to make sexy. But Parker's going to be such fun!

Nellie, for sure. Been playing not-Guild all year and I can't wait to get back to oppressing people.

Noooo my friend is running to guild. Going Ghostrider McCabe and Nellie and I sent him mcmourning goodies. Stop expanding the cowboy imperium!

That said, just means I get to go up to guild players and flip for Hands in the Air!

I know it's a bit of a stupid complaint but in my local group I'm just completely wrecking face. As in, I've never lost a single match, and it's getting people a bit salty. But whenever I point out any mistakes they made or give them tips I just get "Whatever I play how I want" responses.

Should I just start losing on purpose or fucking around with list building? I don't care too much about winning, but trying my best to win is what makes things fun for me. I mean we get along fine but with the game there's always that hint of light annoyance hanging in the air.

if they don't want to learn and get better it's their fault.
My group is awesome, always willing to just sit and chat after a game about what worked/what diddn't. It really helped me go from complete beginner atleast partially competent. People who don't want to learn don't deserve any special treatment.

Yeah but doesn't that just mean he'll only be usable with Sandeep?

He's Sandeep's totem. So, summon or not, it's Sandeep only.

...As it should since the big guy is his totem. But I am imagining that we'll see some phillip and the nanny levels of nonsense out of him. The big trick is to figure out when each gamin is appropriate so he can rob the abilities you want at a moment
.Scooped, but yeah.

Oh duh, my bad

Nahh no worries man. I was about to make the same mistake until I checked the page. Until we get the cards/books in our hands it's a fair mistake.

I am liking the new stuff. The models seem to be a little less campy than usual. Nellie's crew almost look like normal people, and Titania's seem like standard pissed off forest people from a high fantasy setting.

Ordered my Malifaux starter set today. I'm going to revive the franchise in my town of be rendered very poor trying! Now I just need to get my head around all these expansions and bonus strategy decks...

Post painted minis I want to see malifriend's paint jobs

Looking forward to Sandeep and seeing what the other new stuff does. Reva might finally get me to commit to Ressers but McCabes nightmare box looks so good.

Well apparently someone got second place in the GenCon Malifaux tourney playing two games with Sandeep. So it looks like he has potential

Those looks really nice, especially the golem.
I'm in the middle of painting up a collodi crew at the moment, I hate effigies

Loving the paint work here especially on the golem and the puppet in the red dress. I'm a rookie painter and just got my first washes the other day and am learning the use of paint thinning, wet palettes and the like.
Glad to hear about Sandeep performing well. I got a buddy who runs Arcanists who prefers masters that don't have to interact directly so she's paying attention.

Some solid and neat colors going on. I wish the red was a little bit more pronounced though. Unless you were going for a darker red. The blues are quite good.
Neat to hear about the Sandeep, looking forward to trying him out.

My gremlins so far, many more to come~

Nice touch on Mah's dress user.

one more picture of my stuff, all of my masters until Titania shows up, I'm never bothering with Lucius though as I honestly don't think i'd ever use him

What a fun looking army. No one locally plays gremlins, so I don't really see them often.

I wish I had someone like you. When I win most people get salty and blame everything on luck and when I lose they showboat and refuse to give constructive criticism.
Anna and Scion of the Void, I'd really like to do more with Leveticus than do the same attacks every turn. Scheme running here I come.

>or Arcanists in sight
Even escapism is suffering.

my ressers stuff that I've posted before. I'll post my new project/ board next.

Doing something for my Piggies next. The two lists to go along with this board I like to call Whiskey and Bacon.

Its a real shame none of the new masters were dual faction. I swear the next wave of masters (2 years away? Maybe?) better be dual factions.

eh I'm cool with whatever. I'm just hyped that we got new masters at all. My buddy bob Got barrows, So the next couple terrain purchases are going to be a train engine (already have a lot of train), and a River boat. Since we also already have a saloon and a large town. I'll be painting up Ophilia, and A guild player is gonna pick up perdita for some good old fashion wild west shootouts.

I guess people wouldn't be particularly happy with dual faction masters since it really just means less masters. Also, it must be hell to balance.

What? They could have still had 7 masters, just with some of them being dual faction. They managed to balance the existing ones pretty well and its still fun (and wallet friendly) to be able to take one of your masters in two factions, even if its better in one than the other.

Unless they're all dual factions some factions would have more masters than others. And if you spread 7 factions over 4ish masters you'll have people complaining about there not being 7 masters. It's a lose-lose situation for Wyrd.

I'm suggesting they should ALL be dual factions, yes.

I play a bit of X-wing, and we have a guy like you. He researches the meta, super-optimises his lists, and as a result he cleans up. I suppose this is 'fun' for him, but for the rest of us, who want to try out original combinations and new synergies, he is an irritation. Especially when his advice is basically: "Be less original."

Never try to lose on purpose user. It'll make you feel shitty, and if they ever catch wind you're throwing the games they'll just be even more upset.

Fucking around with your list building might help has a temporary fix, but if this is a skill level issue it'll still probably show even if you're running dumb lists like Nix with all the dogs.

I'd say your best bet would be to bust out the story encounters, since those are made for more casual games and some are stacked in favor of a certain side. I'd also consider looking up tournies near you as a now and then thing. Might require a bit of planning and commuting, but if you find some you'll be able to go full force without fear of your opponent whining.

I am curious though what kind of crews you are running. It's also possible that it might be how you're beating them that's the issue.

Have you ever played an RPG user? Like D&D? In that the solution to "being better at the game" is to take a less than optimal idea and make it as optimal as possible.

For instance take a "cool" idea that sucks, then turn it into a "good but not great" idea by thinking through strategies and making good choices in list building.

All the new Resser stuff, to see where we stand competetively. We came out quite well from Book 3 (best Emissary, Anna, Marshal and Hayreddin also seem decent), hoping the same for Book 4, though for now it seems like Guild is getting all the good stuff.

>Best Emissary
Second best, TT got Shadow remember?

Keep on winning or choose a less powerful Master and try to make him work.

Malifaux is a game where you can build fluffy lists and still be competetive with most Masters, so I just can't understand people who deliberately build less-than-optimal lists and then bitch about losing.

I've generally heard that Shadow comes second after Carrion, though I'm not super familiar with what Shadow does besides generate focus like a monster and beat face.

Carrion has a really great toolkit that pretty much ramps up every master in Ressers to some degree.

It's arguable. Shadow has awesome buffs indeed, but it's not like TT lacked good buffers before (looking at Yu), while Carrion gives us a most needed Wk buff and a great terrain manipulation ability. In a game I've made my opponent waste 3 of his models AP for 2 turns by simply blocking a small alley with the Shards.

It's hard to decide which one is better, basically both of them is going to be almost auto-include as I see.

But Carrion looks better.

It's not even that I finetune lists or anything; I get the schemes, I assemble something fun I like best at that moment (Hell, my absolute favourite master is TT Brewmaster), and I play. I'd say I just have a fairly good sense of which units are meant to go where, and with that know when my opponents mess up and in turn punish that. Ive gone to some meetups across the country, and do really well too, which is just met with more sighs and "TT OP" by my locals.

Overall I just run anything TT. Preferably Brewmaster followed by Lynch. In order I prefer/play...
Brewmaster "core" list is Yu and Yin and the rest can be just about anything, Lynch just takes Yu and Huggy, Yan Lo takes 2ish ancestors, Misaki has Yu, Shenlong can be literally anything, McCabe has the Dawnserpent and Mei tends to go with Toshiro/Komainu.

I will admit I could probably stand to go with Sensei Yu a bit less because those pushes and fast masters are just so hard to give up but I generally run all kinds of different lists. Dunno, it's hard to both try and not try? When I see them mess up I find it hard not to go for it, and most have some I'd say faulty playstyles they lean towards which I know how to deal with, especially after all those games with them.

If the Shadow Emissary wasn't competing with Yu for every single master's list he'd be in every single one of them, and I'd say be better than Carrion.

He does look uninspired though. Just meh.

in an ulix list which is better a hog whisperer and a slop hauler or 2 slop haulers?

Nice.

Terrible analogy, x wing has no where near the variety/options.
Don't listen to that guy. Here's probably bad or didn't heed useful advice.

Hog whisperer and hauler. Ulix can pump out a lot of pig healing himself so you mostly just need the slop for him and your main summon target

>The models seem to be a little less campy than usual.
THAT's it.
I was trying to work out why I like this wave more than some of the olders.
Less goofy.
Even the Gremlins look a bit less "we so randumb" than previous Gremlin crews.

Managed second place at GenCon just off rules reading and theory-crafting?
He must be fucking fire.
Master and player.

Fill dem gaps bro.
Your painting is too damn good to let it down with gaps.

That's a great looking crew too. Like the other user said, great colour blocking and palette choice.
Do you have more for it?

I'm always interested to see how more established players tie their factions together in style while keeping the themes identifiably distinct.

I'm currently struggling with a limited colour palette and the Showgirls, knowing that I'm going to expand to a whole new Crew aesthetic (probably to to Mei Feng) soon.

How did you do your metallic blend?
Looks good fambolism.

Nice.
What's your denim mix?

I'm thinking of going denim rather than the orange boilersuit look for the Foundry models I'm planning on getting soon.

If you're just better at games than the rest of your group, and they don't want to learn, I'm not sure what to say besides hit some tournaments or something.

That and drop your lynchpins (no more Yu for you until September).
That's only going to be a short-term fix until you learn to raep with those lists too, but it might keep it fresh.

That's not an analogy, friend. Back to school with you.

>Managed second place at GenCon just off rules reading and theory-crafting?

Or he was a beta tester.
In which case he'd be kind of a douche.

Man, seeing the Banasuva model sold me on Sandeep. I have Colette, Marcus, and Ramos, what else should I get for Sandeep?

... Well now I feel stupid.
What are the rules from Wyrd about htat kind of thing?
Normally the Erratas and such don't go into effect for 14 days(?), but new releases are tournament leagal within hours?

Not that I have a problem with that, to be fair, but there must have been some pretty butthurt players in that tournament.

The Sikh guys with swords.
I don't even kow what they do yet, but they look pretty damn cool.

He can field/synergizes with Academics, so if you want to be absolutely crazy, grab University of Transmortis. Ironsides also comes with academics. Besides that he can summon Gamin, so Rasputina or Kaeris would be good choices.

If anything, beta testing would give you a worse chance given how much changes both during and after.

> Normally the Erratas and such don't go into effect for 14 days(?)

Where are you getting that from?

From week to week sure, but it's not like they're going to make massive playstyle changes inbetween the end of the last beta phase and release. Sandeep still plays basically the same as when the beta started.

The basic mechanics are mostly there, but the specifics are what tend to matter most in high level play. For example, changing a Ca or TN drastically impacts how you use your control hand. Either way, it's a bit odd but dude had to be a good player to do so well.

Any good player is going to be able to roll with those kinds of changes easily. Resource management is always a thing, and needing a 6 instead of a 5 to now do something isn't going to drastically shake up someone to the point of not being able to play a master.

Is the rpg system any good?

It is if you want to play in the world of Malifaux and want to use cards instead of dice. Just be prepared to include as much out of combat content (social, sneaking, clearing a blockage, fleeing through the backalleys) as combat and be prepared for specialized players to be GOOD at what they do. Very good.

>Even the Gremlins look a bit less "we so randumb" than previous Gremlin crews.

What.

The new Gremlin crew is a guy with a jetpack, three gremlins on mechanical mosquitoes, a silurid dressed like a captain, and some human guy.

It's the goofiest crew yet. Wong's crew doesn't come close and they're four wizards, a showgirl, and a luchadore.

I'd agree with what user two said. It is a very good game and it feels like you are a part of the setting and it's easy to get stupidly good in your role especially withthe specialized skill talent.

That said, the black joker ruins everyone's day equally and it's super important to have a variety of activities. It is neat to be able to be an academic who uses mathematics to replace gunplay though.

Yeah, its also nice that its easy to "branch out" for a session thanks to that "if you take a class, draw cards when you fail at that role for that session" rule. So no combat coming up? Well you can keep drawing cards to cheat with whilst you fuck up your puzzle solving.

>>buy Sandeep's box on day one of the con
>>get it assembled and tabletop ready

Seriously, all preorders where up for sale at GanCon, physically there to buy. The online sale is for everyone who cant travel to GenCon to have a similar opportunity.

So he got Sandeep ready to play, and out of three games Sandeep won two then Ramos lost the last game.

And apparently the paint job was pretty bad, but that's what I'd expect from painting a box in one night.

Exactly. One of my players was tied to her character sheet and was absolutely unwilling to try anything that she didn't have ranks in. Then I showed her the forgotten class and she was much better about taking risks....even if only for the oft guaranteed card draw.
So, as a rookie painter who wants to stop making shit, what's a good ballpark for time? Also, save my parker box from looking bad. Assuming I don't want to mirror the box what's a good color scheme for the crew?

Just paint man. You can only get better with practice and every model is going to have take different amounts of time to paint. A key thing to remember, most people are only going to be seeing it from across a table. Whatever imperfections you see up close are largely going to be unnoticed by anyone else.

Parker probably wants to look like this.

As a rookie painter, something you need to know is that you can strip paint from models.

Don't worry about fucking up badly, since you can just wipe the whole thing and start fresh.

Fair, but I'm a freelance writer so I'm doubly prone to being hypercritical. My best recent model so far is the Toshiro and one of the Tengu.
.......dammit you're right. Now I can't decide whether to get lazarus and make him a shagohod or a Mega Zord (I attempted a power rangers theme with my Von Schill crew)
That's good to know.

tg usually has a good WIP thread where you can ask other painters and see stuff being worked on. Even post your own work for critique.

The biggest thing is patience, take the time to get it right, it will take longer at first. Thin layers, dry brushing, and washes can be nice shortcuts. Youtube is full of helpful videos.

As far as colors, reds and blues can be used without looking too garish but in the end it's up to you and you could use sparkle pink if you want. For a more advanced paint job I would try to paint one of the bandits shirts plaid, Just make sure you have a good fine tip brush.

He should not let up. He needs to teach his group how to handle him WHICH HE IS OFFERING TO DO. Compare this to normal grognards who make an ultimate list and just destroy all opponents with the only feedback being "git gud scrub".

The guy is offering to help the group learn to play the game with serious good advice and they are just about spitting in his face.

There is a store I go to sometimes where I play people who are REALLY good at the game (to the point they were asked to alpha test the game since they saw the rules at a different angle). I play a crew I thought I was really good at and they would play basically anything and they would wreck me pretty bad. Getting 5 points against them is something.

But I am enjoying it because they go back to the game and set up where everything was during previous turns and say, "Why did you take this minion away from the scheme?" or "You wasted an AP trying to punch this this model twice when you could have focused and cheated in a high damage card".

If the opponent is not willing to learn and improve their game, then it's going to be a bad time for me. If I have to play a weaker crew to have the frequently players have "fun", I'm not having fun.

Note: I am not saying destroy new players. I am talking about the people that want to play every week.

I remember my first game against a guy who was our local TO. My game 3 McMourning vs his Mei Feng. I still didn't hadn't remembered about soul stone usage at this point.

McMourning goes in a little too far and Meifeng alpha strikes him turn one because I burned my hand doing other stuff and didn't stone for prevention. I was not told about the option until the turn after.

Gee thanks guy.

That said, the willingness to explain and offer help as an after action report is a good middle ground. Because no one likes to be told how to play mid-game, but it helps to have perspective later on. That said, I will never play Jack Daw against a learning player and usually end up playing Von Schill.

Campy? Did you check out Archie because dat zombie is downing some good ice cream.

Also all of Zipp just about.

Travelling to other parts of the country in the US can cause our meta clash with their meta repeatedly in odd and funny ways.

In my store's meta, Ressers are feared and McMourning is the worst. If you are unfamiliar with McMourning at our store, it will be shocking if your crew is not exploding in poison by turn 2 with a stupid fucking dog in the middle laughing it's ass off.

At another store contest, I played a McMourning and I was playing ultra defensive as Lilith, which is not normal.

He moves stuff around really oddly and then get's to McMourning. I brace. In my head, I have already crossed off my Terror Tot as good as dead; I sent it up like that in case the McMourning wanted to start his poison engine early.

He Walked, *WALKED*, away from the terror tot to .. interact with something? Interact OVER murder?? He had a ton of other models to do that business... okay, maybe he is playin a different McMourning.

My head was confused going into the next turn and McMourning took an unfocused whiff at a Mature Neph and didn't even lay down the poison.

Realizing the guy did not learn the potentional of McMourning and he could have just took out the Mature right then and there, I leaned back and had a fun time.

Admittedly, that feeling of dread you described is what makes playing against new players or masters magical. My local meta doesn't fear McMourning, they fear Sebastian after McMourning did his thing. Six Damage a turn means that every dude with devour, obey, Lenny Tosses, and Mr. Graves showing him the door will happen. But then I played a tournament that discounted the dude until I had to borrow other peoples canine remains and flooded the table with nine dogs.

nope we didnt see it, cause noone shared it yet . . .

>sexy drowned wrinkly ghost woman

Wat?

I was being sarcastic. I full well know that Jaakuna is not sexy. But she is moist so the technique has application there.

My point was that that's the only model that's unpainted that I can try the technique on. I do enjoy being creepy gross though, like the revealed rusalka in Quest for Glory 4.

The resser wave 4 lineup wallpaper exists.

It's been out a wile but worth sharing again

im talking about statcards . . .

It's Veeky Forums. You could totally be into wrinkly drowned chicks.

*laughs* I"m home. I'm home.

But seriously, I've been dying for her since I played McM, and now I get to use her with Jack.

Old Sybelle > Jaakuna

DAT ASS

And the entire conversation before hand was the fact that the MODELS were supposedly less campy, so good job staying on topic there.

Yeah, I've been waiting for her release since I started playing in November. Got her this past Thursday and can't wait to paint her. It's a great model.

It's the only way he's gonna get a woman wet, after all.

For the metalic blend, I based silver, added some bronze, brown washed, and then added a grey or white, it's been so long I don't recall - to the silver and started to blend it into the metal. I wanted it to seem like metallic flesh or something of the like. Also yeah things like gaps are my bane because I dislike constructing minis.

Very nice work.

Has anyone spoiled what the fuck that ghost dude does?

Could be a Goryo. Like an Onryo but the ghost of a warrior.

It is

Minion, enforcer, or henchman?

ive heard it is spirit enforcer(explains the onryo-centered upgrade) looks to me like kirai get some love by this two. Still really want to see statcard to confirm

Minion

The fang > agrax wash > the fang > fang/dheneb stone 50:50

I meant the sculpts themselves.
Fewer jaws the size of chests and utterly ridiculous cartoony proportions.

>Just paint
That, exactly. This "practice makes perfect" business is said for a reason.
Also, the tabletop-standard painting is less difficult than you might think, as he says.

Thanks user. So metallic base, colour-blend metallics for the 'main' coat, and then increasingly non-metallic highlights?

Those Citadel paints?
I suppose it's about time I learn to use washes - my basecoat direct to highlight game is wearing thin, and it takes a goddamn age to paint a figure up to the same standard that could be quickly achieved with basecoat and wash.