MTG Commander/EDH General

Blow everything up edition

Previous thread: RESOURCES:
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING:
>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragon-quest-2/
tappedout.net/users/lordpassion/mtg-decks/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mazirek-true-golgari-leader/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-mill-landfall/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Your format is shit

Post pet cards you put in way more decks than you should.

Blind Obedience and Mimic Vat
Blind Obedience goes in every white deck and Vat in pretty much every deck.

Post cards you wish were commanders

Pretty much this entire cycle.

I dont even like blue.

So many turn 4 Blightsteels...

Reposting my link from last thread, looking for cards to cut from the main deck.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragon-quest-2/

Run a bunch of cards like aphetto alchemist, tower of the magistrate, unnatural selection, and just take all of the creatures.

>Erratic Portal
Cheeky

I EAT YOUR CREATURES (before damage goes through)
nom nom nom

this little guy ends up in every first draft and rarely gets cut, just too good if your meta is full of mystical/enlightened/worldy/vampiric tutors

Not just to give stuff away, but I love the "can't be sacrificed" clause it gives to some vital creature.

I have a hard time justifying why I shouldn't include pic related in every deck with black. Would totally run it as my commander if it was possible
>dat pauper EDH tho

Thunder Dragon and Thundermaw Hellkite seem very meh. With all the mana your generating Zirilan desperately wants Hoard-smelter Dragon. Furnace Dragon also seems like a confusing inclusion since he doesn't trigger when you tutor him AND he looks like he completely blows your own deck out harder than anyone elses. Hellkite Tyrant is just all around better for artifact hate.
In my experience running Zirilan even with boatloads of mana Hellkite Charger's ability is still too expensive

>Maybeboard
Aether Flash looks redundant since you're already running Thunder Dragon and Thundermaw Hellkite for token sweeping.
Apocalypse looks like the worst possible wrath compared to all the others you run
Why would you run Hand to Hand when you would potentially want to activate Zirilan for a surprise blocker? Ditto for Price of Glory, although I can see that being justified if your group runs a ton of countermagic and removal
>Mudslide
super cool secret tech, but it turns off Zirilan and you are already going to be needing every last drop of mana to activate him
>Power Surge
Not sure what this is supposed to counter, if your opponents really want to kill/counter your shit they'll just do it on their turn now or take the measly 2-4 damage for whatever they're casting
>Repercussion
Seems like it only combos with Thunder Dragon and Thundermaw Hellkite AND we're assuming your opponent is running token swarm. Could also backfire hilariously if any of your opponents drop big flying blockers
>Spellshock
Too little damage unless you really need to stop Enter the Infinite

I'm 5 cards from finnishing my Tazri 5c Allies. I wanted to make something less color heavy (mono or 2-colored) and focused on Mechanic instead of tribal synergies for my next deck. Suggestions?

So is token swarming the best way to go with her? Can mono black even make tokens besides zombies?

Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker
Empress Galina
Homura, Human Ascendant
Wort, the Raidmother
Lyzolda, the Blood Witch
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim

don't know about your first question (I just crammed her in the 99 of my newlivia deck), but yes black can generate Vampire tokens (call the bloodline), Harpies (abhorrentoverlord), Demons (demonic rising), Zombies (there are more than enough cards that do this), Humans (westvale abbey) and Goblins (Boggart-Mob) and those are just a few examples.

Don't forget about artifacts. There's a bunch of them that also make tokens.

of course but that'd be too easy. also having devotion never hurts.

Would you say it makes sense to play Ezuri in the 99 in any deck?
I thought about including him in Daretti to get even more value when abusing Deadeye with small etb creatures.
could also be a wincon by giving me a shitton of counters with Deadeye or Lark+Guide and a sac outlet.

Thanks guise

>that misplaced hand in its face
never noticed it, but yes this card is amazing

I have always wanted to make a RW artificer deck with pic related

How?

Why is hivestone considered a waste in a Sliver deck? Paired with Sliver overlord and cards that change target creature to Slivers (amoeboid, unnatural Evolution) it lets you take opponents creatures and keep them as resources for you Sliver effects for as long as you like.

Your oponion is shit.
Go on and play your solitaire formats you dumb fuck

Here are my decks.

Am I a faggot?

tappedout.net/users/lordpassion/mtg-decks/

>Using atarka
I like you

I'm pissed. Why couldn't you just use a card as the OP like everyone else? I couldn't find this shit at all, now I'm sperging out. Why did you do this to me OP?

>daretti
>not monobrown
user, what the fuck does your post even mean? If you want to run bant, you can, if you want to go temur, you can also do that, but daretti isn't going to be your commander. To be honest, I think Newuri fits real well in a BUG infect deck with mimeoplasm as the commander, but christ user what's going on with your colour identity?

Oh, this. Very this.

I think he means Derevi.

Shit, I mean Derevi. I confuse the two all the time.

Surprisingly I feel like the deck isn't getting a lot out of crucible. It is an amazing card but it only really synergizes with a small handful of cards. you have strip mine and company and some of your big ass board wipes that hit lands but not artifacts.

Oh that makes a lot more sense. You could build a pretty mean stax deck with Derevi. I'd say he's a good idea to splash in the 99, unless you have something that's explicitly better. How serious is your meta?

Pretty competetive but not at all spike-ish. Like, if someone builds a turbo powerful deck everyone else will congratulate him and the next time we meet up someone built something even more powerful.
Also pretty heavy on combo wins.
I definetely don't need to hold back.

Oh I have some secret spicy tech for you because I was planning on building exactly that deck.

>splash brago, Myr Battlesphere, all the flicker effects you can find
>drop newzuri
>drop brago, get a counter on newzuri
>next turn drop myr battlesphere
>newzuri now has 5 counters
>flicker the battlesphere with brago, newzuri now has 9 counters
I'm sure you see what's going on here. I was planning on using investigate as a way to fish Blightsteel with Kuldotha Forgemaster for an alternate wincon. You could always just go hard stax and drop winter orb/tangle wire then drop as many low cost things as you could.

>Hellkite charger
It's to have an infinite combo with sword of fast and famine that I can tutor out with my commander.
>apocalypse
I was looking for any wipe that hits lands+creatures because I can respond to it with worldgorger dragon to potentially blow out the table.
>hand to hand and price of glory
There are more than a couple players in my meta that like to dick with other people's turns. If I want to not get hit with creatures, I'll fetch balefire on my turn.
>mudslide
I'll admit this one is a little too cute, probably not adding that one but I'm going to keep it in mind anyway

Thanks for the advice though, it really helped me put some of my cards in perspective.

I don't think I've ever made a deck with green in it without including Value Town

That's a pretty good one too. Nice lifelink/deathtouch/firststrike/trample/infect you got there nerd NOMNOMNOMNOM

Post moments that made you feel devilish

>commander night at lgs, playing for packs
>be me playing og kozilek (fuck you I made this before bfz), against Nekusar, Prossh and Ghave
>turn 1, land Voltaic Key
>turn 2, land
>turn 3, land, metal worker, opponent plays nekusar off of sol ring
>turn 4, go off with metal worker, revealing 5 artifacts then untapping it with key to do it again for a total of 19 mana. play a land, cast kozilek, draw my 4, with my other 9 mana, play and equip lighting greaves, myr battlesphere for blockers and sacrifice protection. finally tap my lands to play winter orb and everyone was tapped out.
>clean the game up with kozilek, first nekusar, then prossh and finally ghave
>prossh and ghave destroyed winter orb and cast their generals to make as many tokens as possible to protect against annihilator, but with strionic resonator+voltaic key not even their tokens can save them from annihilator 12
>they make passive aggressive comments about how degenerate my commander/deck was

>Playing way early on when EDH just started
>Opponent T1 Forest, Sol Ring
>Me T1 Mountain
>Opponent T2 Forest Rofellos
>Me T2 Island, Flame Jab Rofellos

I definitely cast sudden shock on more than a couple Sakura tribe elders back during the start of edh

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mazirek-true-golgari-leader/

Thoughts, advice, r8?

Unless you're talking about experience counters, that don't come on ezuri, but you, his ability doesn't allow him to get the counters when combat starts.

Do you prefer Lightning Greaves or Swiftfoot Boots?

That's pretty spicy user. Must have felt awesome. I have this story from last night

>playing my friend's Liliana monoblack discard deck
>it seriously fucking sucks to play against, his commander is basically prevent 5 damage or deal with a bullshit emblem all game
>I'm playing b/w ayli, first game I got manascrewed, still made it competitive
>second game, he starts throwing down his board state
>but I hit a t1 sensei's divining top with triskadekaphobia in hand, some other things that don't matter
>drop the top t2, take a peak, see tree of perdition, a swamp, and ob nixilis unshackled
>know my friend is going to make me discard something with some bullshit
>take the swamp, put Ob on top, tree of perdition 2 cards below that
>next turn draw ob, he casts his stupid flip planeswalker bullshit
>makes me discard a card
>I discard Ob, he starts laughing maniacally, I cast Ayli
>next turn, drop triskadekaphobia
>he's too focused on establishing some bullshit control board state to stop me now
>drop tree of perdition while he's tapped out
>he realizes what's about to happen and scoops, salty as all fuck

user, not to be rude, but if you think I care about 9 +1/+1 counters on Ezuri, rather than 9 experience counters to buff all those fucking myr and brago, you'd be sorely mistaken. I understand semantics, but you completely missed the point.

Por que no los dos?

Depends on the commander, if I need them for their abilities but not necessarily to win by dmg, greaves is the way. But if I want to use the commander to win by dmg and other shenanigans its boots.

Tireless Tracker might be worth looking at for this.

I didn't think about tracker think I have one somewhere, I got a grave pact and dictate of erebos on the way as well

Clues could be very interesting.

>playing nekusar, prossh, an ghave
>calling your deck degenerate

I like suddenly winning with Splendid Reclamation and 10+ landfall triggers. I just need more landfall abilities.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mazirek-true-golgari-leader/
>emerakul's evangel
Pretty spicy, I didn't even know that was a thing, thanks user. Now, I have some questions for you because I've wanted to build this exact deck for a while.

How do you feel about your land ramp?

Have you tested this deck?

What does your meta look like?

>13/13 Lifeblood Hydra owned by Green guy
>Gets targeted with Enslave by someone
>He casts Momentous Fall on his Hydra for ALL THE VALUE
>Respond with Notion Thief

How do I use Ixidron properly? It always seems to fuck me way more than it helps. Is there some way I could give it flash?

Vat + Fleshbag/Merciless + Kalitas, Traitor = Fun times.

I really, really want to run this card, however the only flaw is it doesn't have "This creature must attack every turn if able."

My playgroup is too clever, they'd never attack with the creature, knowing it would work to my advantage.

Zurgo.dec

Whisperwood Elemental

>How do you feel about your land ramp?

The land drop can be slow depending on the draw, which is why I added Yavimaya Elder and other land fixers in the deck

>Have you tested this deck?

So far only in 1v1 against a friend in my meta, tested against different decks(sliver queen combo, grimgrin, karametra, and ephara flicker/control) and it performed very well winning each time

>What does your meta look like?
Nobody plays graveyard hate, alot of boardwipes, there's only one player who plays anti sacrifice but its almost blown up before anything can come of it.

Heh, almost makes me want to play him, but I'm tired of new decks and just want to get down to tuning five really, really solid decks. I'm also swearing off making 3+ color decks because I'm tired of trying to get all the mana fixing tuned.

I think from my experience and those I see from people here and at my FLGS, 5-6 EDH decks is the sweet spot. Enough variety to have some fun, but not too many they get diluted (which has been my problem, chasing after every silly combo).

I've settled on five that represent the color pie in full:

>Ashling (Red)
>Sygg (Black dominant)
>Xenagos (Green dominant)
>Sigarda (White dominant)
>Edric (Blue dominant)

>Playing Oloro in a 7 player game, 2 players already scooped because it ran so long
>I kept a slow hand, early aggro and Erebos lave me down low
>Begin to stabilize, but can still die at a moment's notice
>One guy plays dark deal, flip through my hand for a sec since I forgot what was in there
>My heart jumps, fucking Notion Thief
>Slam that fucker, resolves, no kill spells
>Everyone discards their hand I draw 20 something cards
>Win next turn

I have so many Notion Thief stories, that card is a fucking house. It's not always great, but when it's good it's REALLY fucking good.

>Opponent(s) drop commander
>Play Ixidron on your turn and flip them

Fair enough, if you feel like things are working well, I wont suggest anything too too wild, it looks pretty good and very buildable at a budget, which is nice. Phyrexian Arena is strong consistent draw power, and Deathreap Ritual is the budget alternative. There is a whole suite of reanimator you could use, if you want. Geth's Verdict isn't bad, Killing Wave can be awesome, particularly if you use it to sac your tokens. Senir Autocrat gets you 4 creatures for 4 mana, and Endrek Sahr is amazing in any deck that involves sacrificing things. Ashnod's altar can be really powerful in these sorts of decks. Archfiend of Depravity + Mazierk is the holy grail, in my opinion, and if you can get a Desecration Demon onto that board state, it's even better. But, like I said, if things are working out, don't worry it too much.

>Whisperwood Elemental
Pretty spicy, but I'm running it in Blue/White Brago.

Eh, there are other things I can do that are twice as dickish. I find it's not worth flipping my boardstate most of the time.

Why not use Deadeye + Peregrine Drake + Battlesphere or even better replace Battlesphere with Avenger of Zenikar?
Infinte mana, and infinite myr/plant tokens. I like deadeye way better than Brago who I rather use if I can give him unblockable and/or double strike. I know he can generate lots of value on his own but I'm a greedy motherfucker. Though Brago is definetely a backup option.
I', also running stuff like Living Plane/Nature's Revolt + Elesh Norn, Lark+Guide+Ashnod's Altar+Acidic Slime and I'm considering including Flood/Rhystic Deluge/Opposition/Mind Over Matter + Dismiss into Dream.

Killing Wave is a little finnicky for my tastes, the rest of those are fairly cheap and I know what could be replaced to make room for them. I'm trying to avoid the reanimator path with this since my main focus is to let my tokens become sac fodder

>listing degenerate bullshit and asking for help about it
He already said he's running Deadeye, and Brago has one major advantage; he blinks permanents. Sure, Peregrine Drake + Deadeye, yadda yadda yadda, but Brago can blink a sol ring for infinite recursion of your entire board with strionic resonator. I run a deck based on that exact combo with Prodigal Sorcerer for maximum flavor. In green you get access to tutors that white and blue struggle with, and it turns all those eldrazi that make scions into real threats. Or, you blink enchantments for value, use instants to hit the field with something nasty while your board isn't there, etc, etc. You could even build stax elves with brago and company to make a really shitty token swarm deck.

>White-dominant Siggy
My melanin-enriched friend. I'm building a really clusterfucky version that does clues, humans, tokens, and equipment.

>listing degenerate bullshit and asking for help about it
Yeah it's degenerate bullshit but it's not those combos I needed help with (I know what I'm doing in that aspect) but opinions on Ezuri in the 99 of any deck and Derevi in particular.
I also know Brago flickers nonland permanents but he still needs to get through to do it and I'm not planning on really turning my creatures sideways very often.
Prodigal Sorcerer is an awesome card, my friends Azami deck usually wins either with him or Lab Maniac.
I want to work with creatures that's why I prefer deadeye (also because his is an activated ability and i can use it at instant speed), stuff like Ranger of Eos, Nevermaker or Nantuko Cultivator.

I bet you're a riot to play with. Test it out and see if you like it.

Are those..... sphinx tits?

Yes actually. Lots of Sphinx have tits. I think Sharrum is the most fapped too, but have this.

Yes

Guess I never looked close enough. Anyways while I am thinking of magic tits I have to post Nin's big boobs.

I never noticed that. Nice! I want to run her now. Also, Elesh Norn.

Can someone help me understand the average playstyles of the RUG, Simic and Izzet commanders?

They let your metalworker survive a whole turn, when you had a lightning greaves in hand

unless you drew it off kozilek? If not you're retarded and so are your opponents

>RUG
Play every value card and all the best stuff on color. Ramp, draw, fatties, usually establishes dominance early and then stumbles into a combo. Played by the sort of person who can't walk past any reflective surface without checking themselves out.
>Simic
Same as above but slightly worse because you don't get stuff like kiki jiki and imperial recruiter. Unable to comprehend that the table doesn't find deadeye navigator + palinchron + mystic snake fun after the thirteenth time.
>Izzet
Have you ever just spent a whole day jacking off in bed without getting up except for food, water, and bathroom breaks? Replace your dick with mana rocks/control and your semen with card draw/combo pieces. Then make a table full of people watch. That's Izzet.

Sounds like Izzet is perfect for me. Got any more descriptions for Bant, Azorious and Selesnya?

I really hate posts like these

This kind of sense of humor

And just the whole not really answering his question but rather using it as a platform for your "comedy"

Cringeworthy as fuck

>playing a huge game with a bunch of people at a local shop, most of them have lots of creatures out
>I have mistform ultimus, starlit sanctum, and a pulmonic sliver out
>I play coat of arms and sac mistform ultimus doing lethal damage
>mistform goes back on top of my library
>play a draw spell
>mistform ultimus is back in my hand

Everyone realized I was a problem as that was a pretty shifty thing to do, didn't stay alive too long after that. But it was hilarious.

Well as someone who doesn't even know what Izzet is, here I what I got
>Play your three ramp spells the first two turns
>Spend the next turns drawing your shit until you have your pieces/dick in hand
>Slam it on the table

Write one for jund

So I slam my dick onto the table the next time I play? Alright, but if I get kicked out of my LGS than it is on you

Depends on many things, more often than not who your commander is and what you have available to build your deck. In general Izzet is the weakest of the three, outside of specific combos. RUG has two of the best commanders in the game, with Animar and Maelstrom, and the decks you build can be very diverse. Simic in general is pretty fun, you have access to a lot of draw and a lot of ramp. Simic also has some diverse commander options so you can play stax or combos, or just value dumping fatties. Here's how I would decide:

>Do you want to play Animar or Maelstrom?
RUG
>Do you want to combo into oblivion and/or run artifacts?
Izzet.
>Do you like to ramp, tend to run out of cards in hand and/or play stax?
Simic.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gitrog-mill-landfall/

So what's a good wincon for the frog? So far I hope that I somehow get board domination in some way and then just roll over. Last time Retreat to Hagra and Splendid Reclamation saved my sorry ass on the last turn.

I can think of psychosis crawler and Ob Nixilis the Fallen. Anything else?

Does RUG not have any good commander material in Surrak, Riku or Intet?

I think they are good, but animar and Maelstorm are stupidly good. I run RIku Myself and I love them.

worm harvest and an overrun effect

Riku gives me flashbacks, I intentionally chose not to mention them. They are good I'll leave it at that.

Surrak is meh, decidedly not amazing, but you could build a pretty good dedicated deck around him if you really wanted to. It's more blue hate than anything, and more flavor than substance, but you could totally do it.

Intet is a high-tier commander and flavor choice, I'm going to build it next.

I think Yasova is the most interesting and fun. I love stealing things in EDH even though I'm not a nigger

What kind of person would you recommend Intet too? I see her and she looks so interesting and I wanna see what spicy tech she has.