mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
youtu.be/tXV8Yrb0e_g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The overall and paper Modern Metagame

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Modern deck primers link:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Tiers are usage-based. A Tier 2 deck may be better than a Tier 1 deck in a specific Metagame.

Gnarlwood Dryad has been very effective in my current testing of Zooicide.
Opponents rarely block it, which allows a direct window of opportunity for the combo.
There are turns where I've held it back on defense duty to assemble a clean kill during a later turn and the opponents rarely attack into it.
Delirium is surprisingly easy to achieve in this deck, even with Become Immense thinning the graveyard.

Can you post that background it's dope as shit

that BG looks like grixis headquarters

There's already a modern general.

reuploading this in hopes someone gives me an idea of what to replace for the bedlam reveler's

searing blood? fuck it dude, it's mono-red

do you mean searing blaze? i'll test it out

I love you man and I love mono red burn but tarfire is a meme someone made up and burst lightning is functionally the same, but it won't powerup enemy goyfs.

Really love that list though. Just keep playtesting it to find how many land you'll want (I found with my monored burn to like 18). Eventually you'll find out if a slot is underperforming and you can tune it as such, but just playtest the shit out of it (goldfish, or cut your deck in half and do a mirror match) and find out which cards lead to the fastest wins.
Swiftspear is deceivingly powerful, although t1 swiftspear, t2 spark/devil/hellspark always felt bad, swiftspear into rift/bolt/spike feels better than Goblin Guide.

Tried a playset of Hellsparks for a while, but the magic number is 2 (3 if you wanna get greedy). Excellently slot efficient but having 2 in hand means you're playing very slowly, and 3 in hand is a kick in the nuts.

Still not the biggest fan of magma spray, I honestly hate the card but I can totally see why people run it. I'd prefer to keep things as fast and tight as possible but filtering away land can be neat.

oh you meant what to cut? sorry i misunderstood. i'd prob cut the hell spark elemental, but i would just test them out to see which one does more damage

Also I really like Spark elemental and in mono red it should almost be a 4of.

Just playtest is the best advice I can give. You can do all the work on paper but the purest form of insight comes with seeing how things run on average.

I want to mail you my 2 mana clash.

ok thanks man i'm already cutting out spark elemental with ball lightning but i'm waiting for those to come in so no more elemental for me

>Tarfire

don't feed the goyf yo. Also you can consider running searing blood.

thanks for the info man i'm still straightening this deck out i hope i can start beating people with it soon :P

I just got a playset of pillar of flame so i might buy 2 searing blood and just use 2 pillar of flame

:P

Searing blood has the potential to be pretteh fuookin gud. i have hit x/4s with two of these before, and while the two-for-one isn't ideal, spending 4 mana to kill it AND deal 6 damage to my oppenant isn't anyhting to laugh at, esp. when you have some board presence to follow through with it

You will man. The deck is really straightforward when you learn the optimal lines and pilotting it is pretty stress free. The whole "burn is actually super skilled" is a myth with a hint of truth to it, as certain times you want to play a tempo route if you think you won't win the race. The mirror is usually decided by the dice roll, same with most matchups, but bolting their swiftspear then blazing their eidolon with an extra card from being on the draw.
You can bolt your guys when clashing with wurmcoils, you can skip your 3rd landdrop vs jund, you can be an absolute madman and shardvolley a glistener elf, there's a lot of little things that happen here or there, about 5% of the time, that make you feel like you've piloted well, when most other times it's like playing as a Hard Mode XMage AI and it's fucking great.

Will spiel some more if you want

definitely spiel some more lol
the only problem i have at my lgs is that the people there are in their late 30's early 40's so many of them have money to buy top tier decks 3 people had jund decks last week and the other people there also had very expensive decks and it's hard to beat them when most of them have more than a decade of experience

just because they spend more doesn't mean you can't beat them.

the trick to the mono-red mirror match is a playset of dragon's tooth

Here you go.

>dedicating slots vs your own deck
what ever happened to honour amongst burnbros? omertà.
Never pack firewalkers, let the fire rise and dedicate slots for all other decks. We top 8ing for once.

When tweaking your deck, keep in mind the barebones slots in your deck, being the following (playsets):
Bolt, Rift Bolt, Lavaspike, Shard Volley, Spark Elemental, Swiftspear and Devil.

These are your fastest cards, all redundancies of each other and the meat of your list. Any other card is potatoes, aka filler, or gravy cards like eidolon or searing.

I've always been of the opinion that 2 searing blaze is the magic number to mainboard, but honestly while the card may be dead in 5% of matchups, if your meta is aggressive as it should be these days then a playset can be really sweet.

Definitely run 2-3 Hellsparks if you can, 2 preffered but they are definitely a nice slot.

Count all those cards, then figure out how many filler slots you have left

>4 maindeck skullcrack
This is a tricky one, as it's almost entirely local meta dependant. you want 4 in your 75 but how to split it is a tough call.
Shaving two maindeck, add two sideboard is an ok middleground.

Mah fucking niggah!

Leyline of punishment on the SB?

What do against leyline of santicity?
Ive run destructive relvelry on the side with the playset of the GR painlands MB

I haven't bought leyline of punishment yet i've been meaning to though.

>4 shard volleys
>2 Swiftspears

user... I know youre probably playing on a budget but seriously. Get another two Swiftspears and dish out some extra cash for wooded foothills and red green fetches and atarkas command and lose the shard volleys. It'll make you're deck so much better and give you a lot more options

i'm waiting on 2x swiftspear's to get here and i'll try to buy some of the other things in but i don't have that much money to pour into mtg so i'll probably wait on the wooded foothills

Just put money in slowly. Trust me it'll be worth it. That feel when you atarkas your Swiftspear or slap down an extra land and play another bolt after swinging for 5 is just nut

yeah in the long run i want to get 4x goblin guides and 4x blood moon but that will probably be awhile at least a year before i have all of those

Guides are for sure. Blood moon not so much. If it doesn't deal damage or prevent life gain it's not helping you in the long run. You'll get there one day user. Or you can be a faggot like me and one day play Jund Burn and get that sweet sweet Tasigur

Taking this pile to a pptq today lads, wish me luck. If I do well maybe I'll do a write up or something.

>Tron is a control deck because it has inevitability!
Storm has inevitability. Scapeshift has inevitability. Are they control decks? Are they FUCK. Tron fits the description of a combo deck way more than it fits the description of a control deck. The only reason people consider it a control deck is because they don't actually know what control looks like in modern.

the blood moons are to shutdown decks with nonbasic lands which is most of the decks of my local metagame so they can't do their combo's / if the aren't playing red they won't be able to do anything i feel like that will have the most impact in how i do at my lgs

No user, it's a control deck because it's mono blue

Who are you quoting?

Modern players. Just look on mtgtop8, they have Tron lumped as a control deck. Ask any Tron player what type of deck they play, they'll tell you it's control.

Boo hoo?

youtu.be/tXV8Yrb0e_g

What do you guys think of this uw hatebears list? It performed pretty damn good for the guy.

>I try and brew UW Hatebears
>Veeky Forums shits all over me
>Random nigger on Twitch brews UW Hatebears
>"Hey guys this seems pretty good"

>Everyone but me is wrong and is having bad wrong fun
I'm sorry you feel that way.

it's like this with literally everything, not just mtg.

why you would play this over other D&T variations I don't know

That "random nigger" is the thread leader for modern dnt at mtgslavation. Sure he's a nigger but he knows his shit.

All the cards interact instead of just "beating in".

d&t is a t3 deck in modern, who gives a shit

Huh? it was in the teir 2 bracket a month ago. Oh well.

D&T seems like a deck that wins if it has aether vial, and folds if its doesn't against most decks. Is this accurate? It just seems worse than merfolk if you don't draw aether vial

The only card that's worse without vial is flickerwisp. Also, comparing it to merfolk is like comparing apples to oranges.

>the only card that's worse without vial is the one that already has flash

jesus christ.

Flickerwisp doesn't have flash...that's the point of playing vial.

The deck can do fine without vial but in my experience it relies too much on synergies to win consistently. Most of the creatures in the deck lack power level.

It doesn't fold without vial, but it does get considerably weaker. That's why it's not a longer a T2 deck, it's just too reliant on vial.

I don't see any Azorius Guildmages in that guy's deck

Sure but there's no real reason against Azorius Guildmage in the deck.

And I think people are rating Aether Vial too highly. It lowers your threat density making removal much stronger against you, and getting around counterspells is basically meaningless in modern. It's also the worst imaginable topdeck. I'd rather build my deck around having a smooth curve than jam Aether Vial into it. Proactivity is the best way to win.

It being a T3 deck is the exact reason you have to try and take it in a different direction like jamming a different colour into it. Either make Eldrazi work with it, or try jamming blue in. I don't think GW really gets you anywhere.

Counterspells are becoming much more prevalent between grixis and temur delver popping up and scapeshift can run them.
Not to mention jeskai

Are you shitting me? Aether vial is ridiculous in D&T. Either you haven't played(against) D&T enough or you're retarded.

>Are you shitting me? Aether vial is ridiculous in that deck which absolutely isn't a threat to anything in the metagame!

Dnt and hatebears are favored against tron. especially if mono white with the full ghost quarter and tec edge sets.

Yeah so long as Tron doesn't cast a Pyroclasm.

>flickerwisp doesn't have flash

i'm nuts. that said, every creature gets better with vial. i never mind flashing in 2 power with first strike.

That's why you side bft or mark of asylum. There's ways around it.

Hey user, do you sideboard so you're opponent struggles to deal with your threats or do you sideboard to deal with your opponents threats?

In mtg you sideboard so you don't actually have to play your opponent

IE. Stony silence, rip, blood moon

>Sideboarding into a card just incase your opponent draws a Pyroclasm when he can just play a fucking Karn
I bet you leave Path in your deck incase Scapeshift brings in a Wurmcoil or Inferno Titan.

If your deck loses to a single card like that, then the fault is yours for playing gimmicks. Blood Moon has no excuse to exist though. The punishment for running lots of colours is the life you have to pay for fetchlands and shocklands. That a 3 mana card can blow you completely out of the game is ridiculous.

Spoken like a true shitter.

Affinity gets fucked by Stony Silence, Abzan CoCo gets fucked by Grafdigger's Cage and Dredge loses to RiP.
Are you going to pretend these are all just bad gimmick decks?

When you sideboard, you need to sideboard against your opponent's sideboard. Exceptions are for very strong cards that can hose a very linear strategy or archetype.

>it's fine to hose decks for two mana because I don't play with them
>using artifacts or the yard is a gimmick
>waaah my greedy goodstuff deck shouldn't have weaknesses

Hilarious

>Affinity
Sorry but if you're running Ornithopter and Springleaf Drum, you're not playing a normal game of Magic.
>Abzan Company
Literally a combo deck.
>Dredge
I'm sorry did you just implying that Dredge is a remotely normal deck?

The weakness is paying 5 life on turn 1 to fetch, shock, Thoughtseize. I'm sorry, is losing 1/4 of my life on turn 1 not enough? Should I be punished harder Mistress?

What are you even trying to say? That only midrange decks are "normal" magic and they are the only good decks?

Fucking new magic kiddos like you are the worst. Anything that isn't smashing creatures together is bad or not "normal"

It's your choice to do this. I'm punishing you with blood moon. It's just icing that you're greedy and helping me get your life down

I'm glad Magic exists and I can enthusiastically discuss it with my friends at Veeky Forums's Modern general

I'm saying that whining about Magic being a game of sideboards is retarded when it's only gimmicky decks that lose to sideboards in the first place. How exactly do you sideboard against Jund? You don't because it has no gimmicks. Meanwhile the aggro deck that relies on abusing cheap artifacts gets hosed by sideboards.

>Abzan CoCo gets fucked by Grafdigger's Cage

You play blood moon. Lmao stay mad midrange baby

>unless it's midrange it's gimmick

Please stop, I'm dying over here

Nigger I'll just Thoughtseize it away, fetch basics, or float in response and Decay it. The card isn't really a problem for Jund to deal with.

You can't use your Chords or Cocos, you can't combo and your finks lose their good value.
Please tell me how you Chord for artifact removal when they play Grafdigger's on turn 1 or 2?

It's a well known fact that if Blood Moon sticks it's incredibly problematic for Jund
I don't know why you're even arguing this

>Not runing reclamación sage
>Not runing abrupt decay
>Not wining just by gavony township damage
God you are a shitter, go play infect or burn

Then why are you bitching about moon?

It's a card that doesn't deserve to exist. It punishes people for playing cards that already punish you, in a way that can instantly end the game.

>only UWx rev for 15 is true control.

Just because you play jund and moon hurts your feelings doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to exist.

But other decks deserve to be hosed entirely because they don't play by your three colour creature strategy? Fucking hell

>spell queller
>dank mage
>we modern nao

If you're fetching a Blood Crypt/Overgrown Tomb to Thoughtseize your opponent on turn one, you force him to discard Blood Moon, so why are you whining?

Also Tron is neither a combo nor a control deck. It's a midrange deck whose game plan is hardcasting late game finishers on turn 3. Arguing that it's combo is like arguing that infect is combo, when it plays like an agro deck.

No he's right Land Hate had no place in Modern. 3-4 color decks punishment is losing to aggro. Decks like affinity and Dredge getting hated out really hard by a couple cards is completely fair because they're disgustingly explosive and can still win through hate. Artifact hate is only good against Affinity, Graveyard hate is only really good against dredge, Blood Moon hoses several decks and has little interactivity.

>has little interactivity

Ugh I hate that word

>Land Hate had no place in modern
Oh right, because it feels bad right? Same thing with counterspells. Sorry to intrude on your safe place

>I want to play greedy manabase every time I play magic the tappening

Have you read blood moon? It ain't one sided. You have to build your deck around it to an extent to even include it as a sideboard option.

But then again you're the type of player they cater to recently by dumbing the game down

Dont blame the players, blame the devs

When the player says the dumb shit yes, I will blame them.

New to modern here
Why do people buy enemy fetches when allied fetches are a quarter the price?

Isn't it cheaper to get enemy pain lands instead?

Play a less greedy mana base if blood moon pisses you off so much.

Just because you're so salty, I hope modern eventually gets Wasteland and Price of Progress to make you squirm even more.

Because enemy fetches might provide marginally better performance in their deck, and cost doesn't factor into creating a good decklist.

That doesn't excuse star of david games for fucking with the market, but you don't hobble yourself with market costs when building a list.

Usually, the play with whatever fetches they have, and alot of players will have zen fetches already.\

>Isn't it cheaper to get enemy pain lands instead?
What?