/SoS/ Song of Swords General: qt Hussar edition

Last Time on Song of Swords:
Jimmy makes promises
Rainbow Road
Mail order Maille

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a .zip archive with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
mega.nz/#!XxFX3LAB!r9lykOvUof62DFpPw9lW0XG1mwMHjFFOk_WgjQV-S0o

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

This PDF is the Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version, bookmarked.
mediafire.com/download/2cin9ly01z2bp4c/CoTV1.4.pdf

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

The Legend is forged one link at a time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZBvbNs7WSII
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That makeup is ugly.

Post waifus to compensate.

I'm considering making a hex crawl type thing for a single war torn duchy in the Kaselreich. What horrible things should lurk in the wilderness and in the even more wild communities? Throw me your best quest hooks.

Roving knight-errants who think they're common peasants.

>My Polish ancestry suddenly stirred and my resolve against the Prus and the Rus hardened considerably

Your Polish ancestors were probably shat on just as hard by the good old Polish aristocrats as anyone else.

That said, who's that mail female?

Spawns from the dark watchers that bring the svald where ever they roam to escape the sun, or a cursed manor that has come to life due to the svald

Polish peasants weren't human, they were more like lichen that grew on trees.

>no leg armor
Craven whore. She's probably a Mohammedean, sent to tempt is into their Apollo worship.

This is very disrespectful to your ancestors

The hell it is, I'm Swedish. Just calling it as I see it.

I'd rather be the lichen that grows on trees than a fucking boulder. At least I'd have some culture.

>Pole used Bantz
>It's Super Effective

>My Ukrainian ancestry begrudgingly admits that while all Poles should be plundered for some it doesn't need to be by torch and blade

Your Ukrainian ancestry had better get plundering real soon. There's a shortage of grain coming.

And what are you going to plunder by, if not the blade? ;^)

My glorious Prussian ancestry laughs at you filthy plebs

Deutsche Bank Loans.

Poles, get out.

On a completely unrelated note GB just got robbed of a Bronze in the Mens Singles foil (shitty wobble sport I know but eh) by a Russian who I am convinced has the Polish ref's family held hostage somewhere.

Your people are nothing more than filthy squatters that are infesting my rightful living space. We will purge your pitiful kind from this Earth and take back what is rightfully ours.

Yeah, the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact worked out GREAT last time didn't it asshole.

There is a reason we will never let a delusional Austrian lead us ever again.

ay bb u wan sum content

Certainly not for Poland

*smacks lips profusely
So you be saying you has updates and shiit?

It's formulative, some of the numbers need to be hashed out, but both the vampire rules and the Pyromancy rules are indicative of where this is all going.

Getting led by delusional Berliner (of Polish heritage) isn't much of an improvement...

Jimmy, what. To draw fire in the easiest of places you'll need around 18 die. That's a hell of a lot, especially when each proficiency costs 4 Arc and doubly so when the only thing you get aside from that is WIL

Oh, yeah, that's just me being retarded, it isn't RS, it's TN. You get your successes in Fire rolling at the TN determined by the location.

Also, let me get this right. With 9 spent on X for raise undead I can 3 unique skels, but for 12 spent on X I 20? That's one hell of an understanding of Pyromancy if subverting suddenly clicks and you get a little over six times the reward for not much more input

Well that was an extremely satisfying blend of WHF and the Cthulhu Mythos.

Oh good, that's a lot better. Thanks for making my morning commute more entertaining Jimmy, colour me excited.

Some of the numbers need work. Also, dominating them is going to be harder, I did those numbers first before I got into raising them.

The idea is that it's very easy to raise a bunch of corpses, because the Dark Fire wants to do that anyway. It'd do it on its own, if it could. But controlling them isn't so easy unless you're a vampire--at which point you're basically a walking fountain of Dark Fire yourself.

>Seems pretty normal
>Standard vampire fare
>consume the sky
Jesus fuck what

The first half of this doc honestly bored me. I expected more after the description we got about a year ago.

>Mediocre mercenaries make 12 sp a month, which is that servant girl's yearly wage, but mercenaries generally provide their own equipment.
>implying 12 sp = 1 gp
>Jimmy doesn't know the monetary system of his own game

Every Tier V race has a nuclear option.

We did get pretty mixed opinions regarding most of the vampire stuff. The problem is making them familiar without making them too cliche.

One thing nobody liked was the bats, which we're probably going to change into something creepier, and more in line with the Vampires' relationship to the Dark Watchers, but it seemed like a good place to start.

Suggestions are very welcome. That's how we've done everything else so far and it's worked pretty well.

It's been a few months since I actually calculated anything's value in the monetary system. My bad.

That makes sense, though there's always going to be a jump when you use a multiplier between tiers. I assume in regards to drawing fire you gain fire equal to successes? Also RS4 for control of 20 unique skels is a fucking great deal. Or even just undead bombs.

>RedFeast
StarVampirescanconsume blood bybiting the necksof theirvictims, or bydrinking it out of containers,etc.2Pintsof blood are considered one “Point”worth for a vampire. A Vampire can storeupto24Pointsofblood in theirbodies.
This is useless without telling us how many pints of blood a vampire can consume from one human.

Rather than bats, make it a more spacey option. The fabric of space maybe, darkness mottled with the pinpricks of stars long consumed. They're STAR vampires, play up the star aspect a bit

My bad, I was just fixing that.

Red Feast
Star Vampires can consume blood by biting the necks of their victims, or by drinking it out of containers, etc. This inflicts Bloodloss 20 on the victim, which remains so long as the Vampire drinks. For each point of HET lost (equivalent to 2 pints of blood) the Vampire gains one “Point” worth of Blood. A Vampire can store 12 Points of blood (about 24 Pints) in its body for later usage.Once a character reaches 0 HET, they die, and the Vampire can glean no further blood from them.

Well humans have 10-11, so about that?

or unicorns

Maybe have them drop the light level then melt into the air?

>Have Jimmy Rome on Steam
>Jimmy Rome is playing Warhammer: Total War
>For 36 hours
>Suddenly Vampires and Pyromancy

Hmm, really makes you think.

That's a pretty good idea actually. Phase 2 will consist of adding in elements like that. Combining gothic horror with cosmic horror isn't easy. If only someone had just finished doing that in spectacular fashion.

I can see the need to draw familiarities, i just felt it lacked the unique touch we've come to expect from you.

>Once a character reaches 0 HET, they die
That doesn't add up. Normally from bloodloss you die when your X HLT reaches -X HLT. You know, 4 HLT to -4 HLT.

That'd mean people bleeding out from wounds bleed twice as much blood as when vampires suck them dry.

Oh aye, you've got me there. Well, I can change that, then.

I'm working on it. It's a fine balance. If we went too far, then it'd be weird that we call the things vampires at all.

>dark pyromancy is dark sun's defiler magic with a bit more color out of space time scale
Nice, desu.

>In the water (Not a Zell)
That's a little unnerving.

Which begs the question, what the fuck is the dark sun?

I totally forgot about Dark Sun. Still, good thing to inadvertently rip off, everyone likes Dark Sun.

I hadn't finished with that either. If you try it in the ocean and aren't a Zell, you just die.

>raise undead doesn't include control
>the separate spell to control the undead can be failed
I love this, honestly. Prevents necromancy from becoming the "good necromancer uses corpses for manual labor" thing while still keeping them useful.

We're going to expand on that as well. The Dark Flame, as mentioned, is sentient and fucking hates everything. So even if you control the undead, after a while they will start looking for ways to hurt people, and if kept from doing that will eventually snap and turn on their master. The only way to really keep control of an undead horde is to allow it to grow.

Well in tattered realms and unlike most settings, the force that is used to reanimate corpses is actively malicious and wants to hurt people

An old D&D setting in a world which was turned into a desert by over-use of magic; in this setting the mages draw the power for their craft from the life around them. Most people just use psionics instead, and mages are vilified.

So it's basically the necromancy we dreamed up for the Unified Setting seven or eight years ago?

>Undead actively try to catsplosion
How dorf

The Secret World managed it pretty well, especially in the first zone.

Actually, drawing ideas from the Filth might be another possible inspiration for star vampire stuff.

A lot of things are similar to the Unified Setting. I think some of the designers were big parts of it.

I personally did not have anything to do with the Unified Setting, though I remember the threads eons ago. It didn't seem like my sort of thing, too many non-humanoid races.

How come half your shit is analogous then?

>last-of-their-kind elves in a flying city with super magic
>high-tech NEET elves
>sea elves with strange primitive pagan religion

>undead are animated by something that hates you

Admittedly, the zell don't have the inuit influence, and the dark fire is (presumably) not three elder gods which were killed, sewn together, and raised as an undead being before throwing off its would-be controllers and fucking off underground to torment the occasional dwarf (although like in the Unified Setting, your dwarves are bewitched by the rhythmic drumming from deep below the surface) so it's not like it's identical.

I bet Galt did.

>How come half your shit is analogous then?
Because none of this shit is original.

In my defense, there are so many types of elves out there that you could combine virtually any set of adjectives together with "elves" and you'd find something in someone else's setti-

>although like in the Unified Setting, your dwarves are bewitched by the rhythmic drumming from deep below the surface

God FUCKING DAMN IT you are not serious, hold on let me go read this shit.

Yep, Bongo Bongo, the Drums in the Deep. Probably also gets other people who dig too deep, but it's rarely an issue for non-dwarves.

I mean, it's basically just Armok stuff rehashed with a bit of music, and the music is totally reminiscent of some real-life religious rituals, so it makes sense that it would come up twice even if the two things were totally independent.

Okay, it's not as bad as I thought. Bretty cool. Not quite the same as ours. Whatever happened to the united setting, did it just peter out or is it still a thing?

Hey Jimmy, is mass combat ever going to be part of SoS?

Just petered out ages ago. Was on life support on tgchan for another year or so. It's one of those things I keep in the back of my mind that I might modify and use for something, at some point, but I haven't yet and it's been a while.

I should hope so. I intend to do it, certainly, but I just haven't hit the right catalsyt yet. Productivity for me seems to go in spurts. I woke up this morning and said "hey, I'm going to make vampires and pyromancy," and then did it in like two hours. Yet I've been talking about doing it for months and accomplished dick. You can't rush something like this, you need proper inspiration and the right mindset.

Whats your general idea about mass combat in SoS?

I've got to get ready for my evening shift, but let me lay it on you.

The idea for mass combat was essentially focused around units. A character would have a unit with certain attributes, perhaps quirks personal to that unit. The units would then function similarly to characters, moving around on a map (or simply engaging opponents in a more abstract sense) and then using "Maneuvers" which would be more like battlefield tactics.

The key is for it to still give the PCs a large role if they command units.

>you need proper inspiration and the right mindset.
Either that or discipline. But I know what you mean, sometimes it's like pulling teeth.

While I like the general concept, that really doesn't work for medieval combat. The idea of distinct units with specific jobs that is. It works for some things, like horsemen, but falls apart whenever footmen show up.

This is something so many war games mess up, and its one of the places where less detail and description leads to more realistic and logical results. You have to look at the big picture, not individual units like in a modern battlefield.

The point of a mass combat system in an RPG has to be to showcase the characters' strengths and weaknesses. It's not to make something realistic.

>vampires can store up to 24 pints of blood in their bodies in places instead of organs
>vampires suffer no bloodloss from wounds

>Theycannot sufferfromInfectionorInstantDeath with three exceptions: Decapitation, destruction of the brain,orpiercingtheheart with a wooden orsilverstake.
What happens when you inflict an Instant Death wound that doesn't have a listed Stun or Pain value? One that just says '-'. How much Stun and Pain do they take?

>VampirescannotsufferBloodlossorPain*
You should specify that this comes from wounds; otherwise they can't suffer the 20 Pain for being near a religious symbol.

>In itstrue form, every livingthingwithin150meters
I think this is the only time in the game you use meters. This needs to be changed to be feet or yards to line up with the rest of the game.

Have you considered adding some Uzumaki or Franken Fran to your SV's?

Characters shine even less when they're part of a faceless mass of identical goons that all do the same thing and are exactly the same.

The best mass combat rules are from Pendragon.

Ballad uses meters, I think. Hence the confusion.

Stadia conversion, when?

>If only someone had just finished doing that in spectacular fashion.

THE SWEET BLOOD, AAH IT SINGS TO ME

IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE A MAN SICK

It's specifically mentioned that Black Sun can shield vampires from the sunlight, but the effects of sunlight on vampires aren't described anywhere.

Are there any? Being "Star Vampires" one would imagine they'd be fine with most of not all forms of stars. Unless Genosus is just a dick, even by star standards

Black Sun doesn't seem to have much utility other than blotting out the sun, so the sun has to be somehow inconvenient for the caster.

The air bleeds darkness. Like someone opened a wound and the dark flame oozes out like molten rock around the place where Star Vampires reappear during wisp.

Again, visual guy here, but I like those kind of clues and things you can see.
>Star vampire used his full form in this fight.
>How do you know?
>See those pitch black spots on the grass? That's where it wisped to and stabbed Slakov in the back. Which means it has started to use his blood. The hunt starts now.

Also, here's one video of inspiration that I've found for the Dogs of Aunt Katariina game. It's what I will show to my players and tell them this is what it looks like when Underspace magic goes wrong. youtube.com/watch?v=ZBvbNs7WSII

I can totally see Genosus being bad for vampires

Would a Silversteel mirror work on vampires too?

I don't think you can make one out of it is the problem. My understanding is Silversteel is just silver with the mechanical properties of steel plus magic. I don't know if you could make a mirror out of steel and glass

The Black Sun ability implies that Vampires have some kind of weakness to sunlight, but I can't seem to actually find it.

This doesn't appear to be the lore release, just mechanics, and a rough draft at that. Hopefully some of the typical vamp tropes will be explained when he talks about lore.

VampiricWeaknesses
Vampireshaveanumber of weaknesses.
1:Theyfindthesightandproximityof religioussymbolsto be physicallypainful, akin to the
sensationofburningalive. AVampire not in Full Formsuffers20 Pain if within eyesight of a
religioussymbol.InFullForm, thisisreduced to 10 Pain. AVampire mayspend 6 Blood Points
tocauseanyreligioussymbol in eyesight of themto erupt into flamesand burn, melt, or
disintegrate.Thisweaknessonlyappliesif the Vampire isaware that the object isa religious
symboliftheVampiredoesn’t recognize it, it doesnot count.
2:Theydetestplantswith verystrong smells, astheirbodiesrefuse to processvegetable
matter.Garlicisthestereotypical example, but onions, cabbage, and even mustard all workas
well.Avampirecannotdigest Blood if the smell of vegetable matter isstrong in the
surroundingspresently.
3:AVampirecanbeinstantlykilled if it suffersa level 5 wound to the chest with either a wooden
orsilverspike.Thisincludesarrows, crossbow boltsmade of wood, swordsor other weapons
madeofSilversteel,etc.Silverbulletsalso work.
4:Holywater,oil,orsimilarchemicalsburn Vampireslike boiling oil or burning sand burns
humans(seeburningrulesformore details.)These woundsdo not heal. Ever.
5.Vampiresalwayscount asEnemiesof Genosusforthe purposesof Judgement. Unlike
Ghouls(seebelow)thefiresare agonizinglypainful forthem.

Still not seeing it. Or does the actual sun count as a religious symbol?

That's hot.

I'd say yes. Bright moon probably hurts them too.

I mean, since they automatically count as enemies of big daddy g, he prolly tries to burn the shit out of any he sees.