Dungeon World

Is it good? Worth trying?

I personally don't like it. There aren't any changes made to the core that really improved anything, such as making combat take longer without adding much in the way of tactical changes inb4 muh story: yes, you can make different outcomes occur by describing things differently. That's what RPGs are about.

For some alternatives using the same system, and their downsides:
>Fellowship
Married to its concept (band of heroes bringing down BBEG), bad art.
>World of Dungeons
A bit too ultralight.
>Tavern Tales
Haven't played, but saw it recommended elsewhere. Someone who has played it can expand on it more.

You're not going to get a sober, rational opinion about this game from Veeky Forums, trust me.

It's mediocre, it's worth trying

Why not?

>spoilers fail again
I should honestly just give up at this point.

it was very popular for a short period of time among a small portion of the community, this meant that another small community formed around arguing it's flaws to balance it out, then trolls realized they could use this conflict to annoy people, now the people who originally loved it have stopped showing up as often so you just have the more moderate people, the people who hate it, and the trolls, as a result DW threads tend to go down-hill fast

Read it, play a session or two, and form your own opinions on it. You've got nothing to lose.

Personally I think it's alright. Not fantastic or anything, but not nearly as bad as some of the haters around here would have you believe.

bumping for answers.

It's a decent example of the Apocalypse World engine. Not the best. It suffers from all the things it does to be more like D&D watering down the mechanics.
It's basically for people who want to play D&D but wish D&D was more like Apocalypse World. It's not the best Apocalypse World style game but if you like Apocalypse World style games then it's probably the best version of D&D for you.
If you've never played any Apocalypse World games then I would recommend giving one of them a try, because a lot of people really like them and you won't know if that applies to you until you try.

I don't know. Do you want a kind of narrativist take on dungeon delving? If so, then yes. But I feel like if you've escaped D&D, you should have escaped the dungeon cliché too. If you want Apocalypse Engine stuff in general, there's also Apocalypse World (the original) Monster Hearts, if you like romance, and the Kill Six Billion Demons RPG looks promising too.

Long as this is an Apocalypse Engine thread, anyone ever play Spirit of 77 or have a link to the pdf for it? I saw it today at GenCon and was interested but was in a bit of a hurry.

I've got some Spirit of '77 stuff.

It's not very good.

It uses mechanics from a game with a vastly different tone, a game that was VERY well-designed. The developers are huge shills and create crap essays about why their "mechanics" (which aren't even theirs, they invented NOTHING with Dungeon World, they just ripped off poor Vincent Baker) lead to good roleplaying even though a 16 hit point elder dragon gets badly wounded by the PCs, the GM describes it as barely even scratched, then has the player's arm torn off by the game's loose-yet-restrictive rules.

And that's the thing; it's not really freeform roleplay, it's based way too much on GM fiat, and as a result, is TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON GM QUALITY.

Now, any RPG is like this. But at least in D&D there are rules to help you out. Even other rules-light games have rules to bail you out and moderate things. Dungeon World throws out all this vague yet restrictive shit because the developers literally went through Apocalypse World's moves with a fucking thesaurus and copied it over without understand a fucking ounce of why the moves in that game were what they were.

Not to mention Apoc World introduces a compelling yet vague setting; perfect for worldbuilding. Dungeon World is just "lol a dark world full of Dungeons" with a large bestiary.

The only thing I'll give Dungeon World, is the elegance of the stat block, and the weapon tags are fairly cool. The rest is total whack, it's unoriginal garbage. Is it an absolutely horrible game? Nah, it does what it sets out to do fairly well; except what it does (a high-fantasy game using grim-n-gritty mechanics) is fucking stupid.

Perhaps the most annoying part is the nu male cucks on Reddit who go on about how great the game is, ignore the counter arguments to it and "downvote" them so that you can't post against them anymore, then circlejerk about how well they understand game design. Half of them don't know shit about Apoc World besides that Dungeon World is based off of it.

Nice! Thank you!

Is the Cruise Ship pdf also the Core book or does it just come with a good sampling of the rules and everything?

Pic related. Cry more, triggered user.

As far as I know, that's the core rulebook + a sample adventure.

Not to mention DW fans do nothing but strawman D&D in their recommendations, specifically D&D 3.5. They go "lol are you sick of all these overcomplicated rules? then play DUNGEON WORLD"

In fact the only real reason Dungeon World is popular is (1) kikestarter shilling and (2)high fantasy.

Because most roleplayers are plebs who play nothing but high fantasy and D&D, and so of course familiar ground attracts newcomers. Makes perfect sense, but it also shows why most roleplayers are faggots with no fucking balls. Uncreative pieces of shit who just want to play the same goddamn cliches over and over, and base all their goddamn homebrews off of Pathfinder.

That's why complete shit games like FantasyCraft and MouseGuard get going -- They are the same high fantasy baby shit crap that everyone is used to masturbating to, so any game no matter how shitty gets more attention because it is fantasy.

Most Dungeon World pricks are casual players anyway. They are often OSR cunts who forgot how to play AD&D and now that they are "mature adults" and have to give up most of their nights to "watch the little guy" while their fat sow of a wife is out cheating on them, they have to play something simple like Dungeon World (which isn't even very simple) and brag on their Blogspot about how great it is.

Oh another thing I'll give the game: I like freeform initiative. It'd be hard to do well but I like the concept. You know what else had that? Apocalypse World. And many many other narrative games.

It takes Apocalypse World and bogs it down by stapling on unnecessary vestiges of DnD, ultimately resulting in something that lacks the gamey fun of DnD or the compelling and elegant mechanics of AW.

But anyway, Dungeon World fans mostly rely on strawmans of 3.5 and how they are so mature and don't have the time to play complicated games with any sort of mechanical depth. As if their shitty life choices are somehow your fault. And they shill relentlessly, too. I was asking for advice in /5eg/ and saw some guy trying to get people to start playing Dungeon World. I see it recommended in Reddit threads all the time, too.

The game is pretty lame but the fans are honestly the nail in the coffin. It'd be forgettable were it not for their obnoxious attitude.

And this is the shit they do. They post snarky gifs like they do on reddit, usually a link to some neil degrasse tyson crap or some gif of JenLaw rolling her eyes.

Please provide a counter argument to a SINGLE GODDAMN THING I SAID.

Jesus christ, stop posting already.

>Please provide a counter argument to a SINGLE GODDAMN THING I SAID.

No. For one thing, there are so many things wrong in that wall of text you posted it would take a half an hour to dissect all the horse shit, and for another, why? It won't serve any purpose at all, because you won't listen, and anyone else who knows anything about the subject can see that you don't know what you're talking about.

> wah wah wah I can't prove even a SINGLE THING wrong so I'll pretend he demanded I prove the entire thing he said wrong so I will use that as an excuse to not respond at all, while responding anyway.

You're a child.

Nah I don't think I will. Clearly I am triggering you by calling out your crappy game on it's shit.

Also this: Name ONE thing I can get out of Dungeon World I can't get out of another RPG with actual features.

Name a single idea Dungeon World has that isn't a DIRECT rip from Apocalypse World or D&D.

Here is a perfect example of how you can tell Veeky Forums is full of shit an just going for le maymay points.

Note how he starts by lamenting how they ripped off Baker and Apocalypse world, putting the origanal on a pedestal, which if I'm honest is indeed deserved, no argument there.

BUT

Then you get into the meat of the compaints and, shock and awe, they're all things that are damn near identical in Apocalypse World that "complelling yet vauge setting"? It's "lol a dark world after an apocalypse" It's a Powered by the Apacolypse game, you make the setting durring the first session, but god forbid Veeky Forums let a little thing like facts get in the way of shitposting.

The last part is the most telling though. Using the fact that another website likes it as a point against a game is the ultimate low hanging fruit.

>Look another website likes it, that means it's SHIT Look how edgy and contradictory I am! Am I cool yet?

>It's a Powered by the Apacolypse game, you make the setting durring the first session,

That has nothing to do with my point, dumb cunt. One of the great things Apocalypse World did was evoke a setting the way the D&D rules do but still leave a lot of it open. Yeah Dungeon World does the same thing but it just says "yeah the world is kinda like D&D but first session you make the rest up"

That contradicts NOTHING that I said.

> The last part is the most telling though. Using the fact that another website likes it as a point against a game is the ultimate low hanging fruit.

I was just explaining why I, personally, hate the game, rather than just ignoring it. And most people ignore it because it is shit.

The only good parts of Dungeon World are the parts ripped straight from Apocalypse World. The combat design is fucking stupid, there are no harm moves like AW had and they are left entirely up to the GM, and it gives players a metric fuckton of hp so that they are utlimately babied.

>Name a single idea Dungeon World has that isn't a DIRECT rip from Apocalypse World or D&D.

You people change your mind on that every other post, one second it's trash because they changed things, the next becasue they did it the same. Make up your minds.

also

>It's bad that the game that set out to be a mix of Apocalypse World and D&D is a mix of Apocalypse World and D&D

>You people change your mind on that every other post, one second it's trash because they changed things, the next becasue they did it the same. Make up your minds.

You're fucking retarded thinking those two are mutually exclusive. They copied the parts of Apocalypse World they wanted to, and in doing so they fucked up most of what made Apocalypse World compelling. Also the Apocalypse World mechanics were designed for that specific genre and style of play, not high fantasy. Once again you compeltely fail to understand game design, how mechanics evoke a feeling or theme, and you argue like a child. You nitpick for what appears contradictory because you literally cannot understand the meaning behind words. I am convinced you are trolling me at this point because even on Veeky Forums this level of retardation is rare. It has to be intentional.

>It's bad that the game that set out to be a mix of Apocalypse World and D&D is a mix of Apocalypse World and D&D

The problem is at its very core goal. DW does what it sets out to do; what it sets out to do is fucking poor. FATAL also accomplishes what it sets out to do but it is a fucking terrible game by most estimates.

I'm confused...is a troll, or a hater?
Because this is either masterful, or...sad.