/bgg/ - Board Game General

Ameritrash is best girl edition

What have you recently picked up? What are you looking forward to? Any old games you recently tried for the first time, or for which your love has recently been rekindled?

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars-the-miniatures-game/
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/its-us-or-them/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Amazon's sale yesterday netted me Cosmic Encounter, Broom Service and Rebelllion G54 all at ~45% discount between the three, all had been in my wishlist for a while.

Looking forward to Santorini being shipped.

I played a lot of scythe last week. Pretty great, anyone else had a go with it yet?

I'M FLAT BROKE MAN I GOT NO MONEY I'M FLAT BROKE MAN

And still I plan on ordering this shit as soon as GMT replies to my mail
I also played 1714 Case of the Catalans recently, unfinished game but tested all the important mechanics. Didn't get ot midgame so Barcelona was looking very stiff.

You guys sure take your time to respawn.
Question what are the differences between the 1st and the 2nd edition of mage wars arena?

Played several two player games. I can see it being better at more, but I've great fun with it. Immersed in the Olympics atm so not going to be playing anything for a while.

Box size mainly. 1e board folded in 4ths, 2e folds in 6ths, and box got smaller. Contents are pretty much the same, just a couple extra spell cards and errata

spent $300 on x-wing yesterday, having a little buyers remorse today realizing what else I could have gotten for that money.

Do you think it will worth the extra cost for those spells and erratas. I'm debating myself between a "used copy" of the first edition and a sealed box of the 2nd edition

Also how it compares arena with academy? I mean how different is the feeling between games?

Hey, is Shogun/Wallenstein good? If so, which version is better?

I buy board games and puzzles from Marbles with junky-like frequency. I have Otrio, New York 1901, Chronology, Nefarious, Dr. Eureka, Pengoloo, Letter Tycoon, Oh Snap, and Tapple. I might be forgetting some but those are all the ones I can see from where I'm sitting.

When you say puzzles, do you mean jigsaw puzzles or something else?

I've never been one for jigsaw puzzles but I love logic puzzles and could see myself loving ones with material parts, or even games centered around logic puzzles and mysteries.

For this reason I want to get Time Stories eventually and play with some friends.

And Abalone and Letter Tycoon.

I might have a problem.

I mean stuff like Rush Hour. Mentally challenging stuff for one player.

For that, I have the Sherlock, Penguins on Ice, Back Spin, Pathwords, Shell Game, and Katamino.

If you're not a stickler for shrink wrap, a used copy will play exactly the same, if it's complete and in good shape you won't feel any difference.

Arena is a bit heavier, a bit longer, a bit more complicated, a bit fiddlier, but it's a better experience if you enjoy the enormous customizability and depth it offers.
Academy is virtually "Mage Wars light" with streamlined rules, it plays faster and is friendlier for newcomers. If your gaming group dislikes heavier stuff, try this instead.
It's also worth mentioning Academy is compatible with Arena, but not vice versa

Ever since I got into X-wing, I have been using "But what if I put that on X-wing instead" to stop myself form (more) unnecessary purchases. I think it actually has a positive impact on my economy at this point.

Never tried it two-player, but I can see how that might give you too much free space, limiting player interactions somewhat.

I'm trying to develop a competitive scene here where I live but how you seem to suggest I should try to get Arena first and then if people are willing, go with Arena.

What with Battlegrounds?

do LCG's belong on /bgg/? If so anybody hype for the new Arkham Horror Card Game? I always wanted to get into Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game, but it was so far into it's life i couldn't warrant the purchase. This looks like it will scratch my mythos itch though.

>do LCG's belong on /bgg/?
I have no trouble with it.
personally I like LoTR because of it "no preassure" motto to buy everything and also Doomtown because it thematic (R.I.P. and Fuck AEG)

yea i went all in on doomtown and learned a week later that it was being discontinued. i guess that's ok because it's a good game with a lot of cards and will give me a lot of enjoyment but still kinda stings. I guess it's ok because i'm also keeping up with 40k conquest and a game of thrones. drop doomtown and pick up arkham.

I watched a game of it being demo'd at GenCon. In true Arkham Horror fashion, the two guys playing it basically failed at everything so if you enjoyed the original AH and don't mind going insane and losing alot, it looks just fine.

Yeah, I enjoy Arena immensely, but my AP-challenged friends struggle with it and they just never really bought into it so when it hits the table (rarely), it's always me lending them pre-made decks, which they don't "get", thematically or tactically.

So if your friends dive into it with you, Arena won't disappoint, it's really good, deep and meaty. If they like faster-paced games with less decisions, Academy might be better.

I still sad that no game will come up close enough of what was doomtown

fuck yea. sounds like the bees knees. At first, i thought the chaos bag mechanic (chit pull) might be stupid and too random to determine test success, but after learning more about the possibilities of it, i kind of like it. i guess you can customize the difficulty with it, and who knows the possibilities of doing weird things with it in relation to special quest events and stuff.

I'll go for both but since I'm taking about normies academy might be there best choice for me

That bag was what really did it.

When the girl demoing it said the modifiers they could pick out were anywhere from -4 to +1 for this game, i knew it wasn't gonna end well haha.

What with Arkham Horror LCG? I mean so far I've read FFG is trying to mix LoTR LCG and a pen and paper RPG (you carry status and sometimes backdraws at the end of each chapter)

also someone has seen Star Wars Destiny (that dice game) in GenCon?

I thought strongly about Star Wars Armada. But I resisted the urge. I did however snag 'Deception - Murder in Hong Kong' which was on my buy list. (I blame STEEV for that since he mentioned liking it. On a side note: I blame STEEV for lots of things he couldn't have had any control over. Ah, the beauty of the internet.)

Pic related for X-Wing user...

>I guess it's ok because i'm also keeping up with 40k conquest

Complete your collection in short order then. It seems likely that FFG is no longer going to be doing new additional content in the 40K setting. At least for the foreseeable future.

given that they just announced a miniature combat game which more or less is direct competition to GW, yeah I'd say the 40k licence is on the out.

Yeah, that might have something to do with it. And considering that AoS seems to be getting pretty 'Meh' results in a lot of places, it isn't surprising that other organizations are looking to eat GW's lunch...

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/runewars-the-miniatures-game/

Speaking of card games that have died multiple deaths, weren't we supposed to be getting L5R info at GenCon?

I once played a game of Arkham Horror where your character could recover a sanity point if you finished a drink. It was great.

No L5R info this year apparently.

Oh, this should be interesting. Arkham Horror always did require a ton of space to play. Reducing it to a card game should make things a lot simpler.

I gather your character was sane as shiz by the end and you have absolutely no idea how the game turned out. ;)

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/5/its-us-or-them/

Who else hype?
Its a goddamn Enemy Within expansion for XCOM

Ffg made it clear when they bought the license we wouldn't be hearing anything about it until 2017

My only problem with what's been shown so far is the "instant fail" chit, but atleast there's ways to mitigate it, and since you have three actions you can just try again.

I'm sad that it doesn't support 4 players off a single core set though. Any ways around it?

>this maximum haram op

Well /bgg/ after a long hiatus from this thread I had a massive board game jam session, played tons and tons and tons of shit.

Finally kicked off trains with a bunch of 1v1 games and a 3player game. Bluemoon Legends, Maximum Throwdown Overload, Guildhall, and got to make out with actual best girl Alien Frontiers.

Daily reminder that Alien Frontiers is the best worker placement game ever made.

How about you guys?

>And considering that AoS seems to be getting pretty 'Meh' results in a lot of places

>selling more than WHFB ever was

you folks are out of date with your memes, even on Veeky Forums the aos general is moving as fast as the 40k thread while the whfb barely trundles along.

Also, I bought the duke recently and my friend hates it, someone just end my life please.

>What are you looking forward to?
Tragedy Looper expansion and Battlecon: Trials (if only for the promos, I was not impressed by what I saw from the playtest forums). Contemplating the Dead of Winter expansion, but it really depends on what it improves.

Outside of that, thinking of getting Dominant Species but a 3 hour euro is a hard sell for my group.

>Recent pick-ups
Last thing I've picked up was Pax Porfiriana, haven't had time to play it yet unfortunately :(

>Looking forward to
As far as unreleased things go - Zimby Mojo, Cave Evil: Warcults, codex for Duel of Ages II

Does anyone know how long late pledges will be open for the Set Rotation expansion for Millennium Blades? I'm waiting till next paycheck (2 weeks, hooray bi-weekly) to pick it up, but if there's any real risk of it no longer being available then I'd rather just get it now. I want to do the pledge so I can pick up all the mini expansions.

And on that note, I've played Millennium blades a couple times now, and it is absolutely fantastic. Just played a game where Dr. Balance hit the table in the second and third round, absolutely threw everything off in the best way.

Anyone have a favorite store setup? Favorite combos? Favorite anything relating to this lovely, lovely game?

How exactly does one get into Kingdom Death? I looked around on the site and it seemed like mostly everything was sold out/no longer available. I'm also curious as to whether or not you NEED all those figures or if there's a simpler (by which I mean cheaper) version. I can handle shelling out for the figures if the game is definitely worth playing, but either way, how do I go about even getting into the game?

Travel back in time and pay $400 for the Kickstarter. Alternatively, wait and hope for a reprint.

>What have you recently picked up?
Falling Sky, recently-ish. Haven't had the opportunity for a 4-player game of it yet, so definately looking forward to that!

In no particular order:

Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain
Time of Crisis
Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars
Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage
Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62
Welcome to Centerville

So yeah, lots of GMT stuff...

>Any old games you recently tried for the first time, or for which your love has recently been rekindled?
No, though I'm very much trying to get a full game of Here I Stand going.

>hexes are approximately 30km across
So is this some kind of GPS game like Pokemon Go?

I don't know whether they're good, or whether you'll like them in the case that they are, but for what it's worth I've heard Shogun is better.

No one knows, just call them or shoot them an email.

$100. Travel back in time and pay $100 for the KS, or not so far back and buy it from the site's shop for $400.

Don't let me catch you not using non-Deep-Styled Scythe images again, amigo.

Backed Walking Dead no sanctuary and backing Evil Dead 2. I'm completely broke.

Right now I'm pretty excited about "Last Friday". And that's about it for releases that are coming soon-ish. I'm also pretty curious about that Mansions of Madness reprint.

>Any old games you recently tried for the first time, or for which your love has recently been rekindled?

Tried for the first time : Not really that old, but a game I've owned it for a long time without playing is Steam Park. And it's good fun !
Rekindled : I hadnt played Dream Factory in a long long time and I had fun (but boy do I SUCK at auction games)

I could have sworn the full Kickstarter pledge was $400. But I guess you don't need that to play, just the base set.

IDK I just hear people kicking themselves for not getting KD when it was $100, assumed it was the base set KS pledge.

Just looked it up, base game is $100, $400 is three $155's, $155 is "Survivor – You’ll receive the Kingdom Death: Monster boxed game, the two Kickstarter exclusive plastic miniatures Adam & Anna Explorers of Death, the Kingdom Death t-shirt, and the digital art book."

>you folks are out of date with your memes, even on Veeky Forums the aos general is moving as fast as the 40k thread while the whfb barely trundles along.

The AoS general thread doesn't have jack-shit to do with the fact that GW's overall sales are still declining. My FLGS has been shrinking their GW section with a sign that reads "If you don't see what you want we can order it". So much for those 'impulse buys' that GW counted on. Meanwhile their RPG and board games selection has increased quite nicely.

>Also, I bought the duke recently and my friend hates it, someone just end my life please.

Time to get some better friends user.

>Recently picked up
MoM 2nd Ed and the Grizzled expansion
>Looking forward to
The above, plus more Arcadia Quest hopefully this week
>Tried any old games
I did play 2nd edition of Innovation this weekend instead of the usual 3rd that I own. I only noticed a few differences actually. Still really enjoyed it and it was funny how playing with a new experienced friend adapted both of our playstyles

Also played Tales of the Arabian Nights, which went over really well, and a few rounds of ONUW. It's still really a joy to teach that one to new players
Nope. Funny how at the time I thought I knew 3 people who kickstarted it, but only one has offered to play, once (and I was away that weekend)
>Trials
Yaaas
>Dominant Species: 3 hour euro is a hard sell
If you don't have your brainpower cranked to 100% for all 3 hours you'll get absolutely stomped, so it's too stimulating imo for your players to get bored. Plenty of smashing and killing to be had for those players who need that. Just make sure no one has AP
>Pax
Nice. Print out and laminate the 11x17" player aids from BGG and tell your players to watch the how to play video. Otherwise it will never come together

Awwww shit. That's going on the shortlist.

I've played Race for the Galaxy quite a bit online, but am interested in picking up a copy to play with friends. I'd also like to get an expansion to spice things up for myself, but should I just forget all that and get Roll for the Galaxy?

>What have you recently picked up/looking forward to?
Captain Sonar, Star Trek: Ascenscandscancysc, and Cry Havoc all on Pre-Order because I'm lazy as shit.

>Old games recently tried for first time or rekindled?
Not really, but finally (FINALLY!) got to play Mare Nostrum this weekend. Holy shit, I'm impressed. Ridiculously elegant. There's no spare weight on these bones, but it never feels like there's any thematic elements missing. Super tight, even seemingly tiny abilities or bonuses are absolutely enormous. Strong politics, incredible trade and economy system, seemingly very simplistic combat that's actually VERY tactical - and much more predictable than most dice combat systems.
This thing is going to see a lot of play.
Just not on this heretic peasant-tier table for ants.
It's a slow thread, a long respawn actually helps the new thread start off well.

I love x-wing, but I'm so ADD with games that this same argument always convinces me to buy 6-7 new games instead of several hundred on XW models

Pretty much just Netrunner has it's own general, other LCG's super welcome here.

Love you too user. Gotten in a play of deception yet? Had a couple this weekend myself, good stuff as long as it doesn't wind up as a blind 50/50.

>exalt isn't run by a fifth counter-op player
Missed opportunity / 10

This week, got in Chaosmos, Sheriff of Nottingham, Mafia de Cuba, Skull, Mare Nostrum: Empires, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Coup g54, One Night Resistance, probably something I'm forgetting. Wanted to get in some Infamy, Fury of Dracula, or Combat Commander, but instead got roped into casting some DotA because apparently I love wasting my time.

>Hating the duke
Purge.

Forgot pic

Forgot pic

What are some good 60-90 minute games that either fall between "pure" Ameritrash and "pure" Eurogame, or are Euro style but with a bit of more direct conflict?

Chaos in the Old World, Dune/Rex, Infamy, Cyclades, Kemet, Mare Nostrum, Blood Rage all have significant euro elements or have had the trash surgically removed from their murrica, and play very well while also executing their theme fantastically.

>Have Birthday
>Surprise present from the wife
>She looked all over and had to ship it from USA to UK
>Box turns up
>The cunt put duct tape on the box

I'm fucking livid.

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. Which would you recommend I get first if I expect to play a lot with my family?

My sister's favorite game is Zombicide: Black Plague. My mother and stepfather really like Ticket To Ride. I'm trying to push their boundaries a bit.

Depends most on your most common range of playercounts, really.
CitOW really wants four, or five with the expansion. Can play with less, but the mechanics are designed to have all gods in play.
Dune/Rex have the same issue, but are targeted at six - but if you can hit that number they're absolutely fantastic.
Cyclades and Kemet are great across their entire spectrum of playercounts, are pretty easy to teach, and play progresses very quickly. Solid picks.
Mare Nostrum also scales well between 3-5 (or 2-6 with the atlas expansion) and has more diplomacy and trade than kemet or cyclades.
Blood Rage I haven't played enough to be certain about playercounts, but it worked pretty well at five - just be warned that it's more of a drafting game than it looks like on the surface. Not a bad thing, just don't want to be surprised by it if that's not for you.

Better divorce the bitch desu senpai

I'll probably get Cyclades or Kemet, then Mare Nostrum, and then maybe the others after that, then. We play with everywhere from three to five when we do play.

Once I get some more friends into gaming beyond Catan and light card games, I'll swing for Dune or Rex, and maybe Blood Rage.
I think the "cunt" in question in that post is probably the person who shipped it to them, not the wife who scoured the globe for the game.

You could describe both as cunts, just one with affection.

>recent pickups
Got out of Gencon with the wallet intact, and copies of Survive, Coconuts, couple of the 2-5 Haba games, loads of sleeves/dice, and finally got a copy of X-wing as a b-day gift.

>looking forward to
Talked to the FFG guys, apparently the GoT/Cosmic stuff that was announced/demo'd was "a very early prototype" so there's a good chance they swap out the stills, gameplay looked nice so I think that's instant wishlist. Went to check out the copy of Santorini that was supposed to be demo'd but no one was ever in the kickstarter/CAH room with it, guess I'm waiting til reviews come out before I buy in on that one.

>old stuff
Got a chance to play my new copy of For Sale, I'm still pissed at Iello for making the coins too small but it's such a nice filler and the art kicks ass. Not quite as old, got to demo Medieval Academy because Iello's event center still can't get their shit together and had 0 copies of Wolrd of Yo-Ho on hand. Honestly I think I'd rather own it than 7 Wonders, and get something like Trains, or Blood Rage when I want meatier drafting.

>STEEV
Seconding. Shilled FoD and Rex so hard... going for Mare Nostrum because of You're a bad influence, and my wallet hates you.

Why not just use some goo be gone or alcohol?

I think the problem is not gunk left on the surface of the box, but the tape ripping paint right off of it.

Man, FoD. Only boardgame I've gotten legitimately salty over. The point where it transitions from "Where the fuck is he?" to "How the fuck do we catch him?" is maddening.

Nothing all that recent - I'm trying to save money now that I've actualy got a job (in b4 that one guy goes MONEY MUST BE SACRIFICED TO THE GREAT GAMES COLLECTION)
Playing games I paid good money for
Not really, but I would like to play that second-hand copy of Key To The Kingdom I bought a while back

>Trials
>spoil self on fan-submitted chars for wanderers
>now have to wait for Trials just so I can wait for Wanderers

Banished to the ninth circle of suffering.

Trials looks kinda shitty, to be honest.

Just received the "Band of Brothers" series, 'Screaming Eagles', 'Ghost Panzer', and 'Texas Arrows'. Kickstarter backed way back when, arrived today, only 10 months late. Speaking of, any wargamers here?

Also expecting "Magic: The Gathering - Arena of the Planeswalkers"' expansions, 'Battle for Zendikar' and 'Shadows over Innistrad' soon. Bought them on sale on Amazon a few days ago.

I impulse bought a game called Flock today because I visited a shop during my lunch break.

Gimme a list of games that are worth impulse buying (ie. not commonly known), so I don't keep piling on terrible board games.

Yeah I war game. I so wanted to back that Kickstarter. How is it? Hopefully it was worth the wait. Makes me want to see if I can get copies now...

Was at GenCon, had an amazing time. Ended up coming home with a bundle of new games:

> Ekö
Interesting abstract game where you play as a sand robot and control troops to conquer the board and score points with your villages or castles. It follows a basic "two power beats one, three beats two" formula but allows a troop of the weakest level (1) to defeat a troop with the highest level (4) to sort of give the game a cyclical balance. Pretty neat game!

> Vast: the Crystal Cavern
Picked up my Kickstarter and got a chance to play a round, it's a very cool game. Completely asymmetric playstyles for all characters leads to some very cool set ups and possibilities. I'm excited to play it more!

> Tides of Madness
Sequel to Tides of Time, plays very similarly with an added "sanity" system for a bit more interaction and care necessary. Pretty okay, a worthy if not nearly identical follow-up and decent value for $12.

> Grimslingers
Haven't played yet, but looks cool as hell.

> Sushi Go Party
Haven't played yet but I liked Sushi Go so it's some more of that.

>> Vast: the Crystal Cavern
>Picked up my Kickstarter and got a chance to play a round, it's a very cool game. Completely asymmetric playstyles for all characters leads to some very cool set ups and possibilities. I'm excited to play it more!
They shoulda just called it Trove and told Trion Worlds to go fuck themselves.

That's a pretty board. I've been looking for a big strategy game that isn't Space themed, looks like this might be the ticket.

>no Hiaspania or Libya
Weren't they kinda important to Mediterranean trade and empire-building?

Also what's up with blue? Are they just completely shreking everyone?

Is that what happened? I glossed over the name-change updates since it didn't make a huge difference to me. I do think Trove is a cooler name though.

There's a successful and semi-famous indie puzzle/platformer/adventure game series called Trove. I'm not sure whether they raised a fuss or Leder changed it preemptively to prevent drama while the game was still young enough to do it easily.

Trion raised a fuss, Leder actually consulted legal council and was recommended to change it. I agree that he should've told them to fuck off, though; single words aren't exactly trademarkable and the two properties have literally nothing to do with one another.

Even if they're trademarkable it doesn't cross media lines unless Trion actively has a Trove board game in development, or it can be proven that Vast was somehow trying to profit off Trove.

FINALLY picked up Cosmic Encounter, and picked up Dominion: Intrigue while I was at it. It might be a while before any new games considering I'm trying to piece together a Watmachine army, but I can imagine getting Dom: Prosperity pretty soon.

Waiting to actually get a game of CE played, gotta wait till Tuesday though.

Attempted to play WizWar with some friends recently, found its rules frusturating. Anyone else had that problem, and how do I fix it?

Damn, she may as well have driven/flown to your house and put a cup on your table without using a coaster.

From what I've heard (and from a little experience on my end), Roll solves some of the problems or Race, and while it can be more luck-based, itms not enough to affect the strategy found in Race.

>Sorry!
>Actually fun for adults
>Real rules

Strongly consider suicide.

Never post this abortion of a picture again.

>Vast: the Crystal Cavern
>Picked up my Kickstarter and got a chance to play a round, it's a very cool game. Completely asymmetric playstyles for all characters leads to some very cool set ups and possibilities. I'm excited to play it more!
I'm almost finished crafting my PnP and I have no words to express how jelly I am for being fucked by exchange rates and general third world problems

>being this new

please leave

>It's le bad on le purpose

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting fampai.

Both are great, but I've found Roll much easier to teach, and as a result gets to the table much more often.

I picked up Mansions of Madness second edition recently.

Played it a few times with bros and lost every god damned time. The dice. They hate me.

par for the course with the Arkham games.

Betrayal at House on the Hill
Munchkin
Codenames
Sheriff of Nottingham
Pandemic
Cards Against Humanity
Boss Monster
Exploding Kittens
Fury of Dracula
Resistance