Science-Fantasy Art

I need art for Spelljammer; AKA Space Age of Discovery. Think Treasure Planet. Think 'sailships and pirates and whales in space'. I'd like more variety if possible, but anything you got is fine.

Other science-fantasy art, like knights and wizards and dragons in space, is also cool.

Thanks. I'll dump what I have.

The closest I have to space fantasy is this.

That's great. Thank you! I do have some high tech pictures in here. I don't want a lot, but maybe some magitech looks high tech?

Stuff like this is fine too. I think this feels sufficiently sci-fantasy. Probably cuz of the extra moons in the back but I'm honestly not sure why I feel like it is!

Landscapes are also fine!

Love this! I wish I could find more stuff using celestial spheres and everything.

My goodness this is lovely. Thank you so much.

Amazing. I still need to watch Oban.

Glad to be of service. I really dig space fantasy, Spelljammer in particular, but I'm a little iffy on crystal spheres. Sometimes I like the idea, other times not so much. If I ever run it I guess I'd have to make a choice on the matter.

I totally get that, yeah. Right now I'm considering something sorta similar - using the luminiferous aether idea, but having 'spheres' of aether that surround planets, and between them there are connections of aether currents, but also sheer vacuums. So it looks sorta like crystal spheres, but has some realistic space risks as well.

There's a good idea! Spacers could follow the currents or strike off into the void to find their own path. I'll likely use it in the even that I get to run a Spelljammer campaign.

Maybe some worlds are contained within spheres - these being the more isolated worlds, like Athas of Dark Sun fame.

Yeah, precisely.

Perhaps actual crystal spheres are maintained by angels or some other celestial being.

Or built by ancient aliens to protect or quarantine certain planets.

Angels as the ancient aliens sound awesome, actually...

Liked this so much I found another piece by the same guy. Would make for a fun destination.

Would that even be possible? That thing would of cracked that planet for millennia. After all that time how could it still be recognizable and intact like that?

It could have impacted at relatively low speeds, perhaps?

There is no such thing as "low speeds" in space. Even if they started relatively parallel speed wise gravity alone would have rocketed that thing up. Then even if it was still "slow" friction alone would have RUINED everything on the surface of that planet. The atmosphere would just be gone.

Now look again at the sheer size of that thing. Its so massive it basically reaches space. Just look at the cloud band and how it reaches the deep blue of the upper image. It would destroy the rotation of the planet and likely knocked it off its normal orbit around its sun.

Okay, then magic. It was teleported into position!

Superman caught it.

Also, what I really need more of is characters, people, monsters, things like that. Scenery and ships are awesome and welcome but it's tough finding NPC art that looks really sci-fantasy, you know?

This is my jam

Thanks for this pic, I love it. Looking up the source lead me to this.

It also lead me to two awesome non-typical ships! For alien species, I guess.

That's not a meteor. It didn't land on the planet, it's digging its way out from inside it, moving a few inches each century.

At least, I think this one could be a ship...

Plucked, perhaps, by a gentle hand, and set down as carefully as a glass bead.

Does this world have a protector? Perhaps simply a curator for objects that strike its fancy. Or maybe this strange artifact is a lure, and we are the objects of its curator's silent study, reading into us as we read into the impossible.

More like this will be totally awesome!

I got some Moebius in my folder after seeing that post.

Always glad to introduce more people to Moebius!

Indeed! Though, just to note, the original post (also linked) is by Philippe Druillet.

Whoops, now I feel dumb.

No worries. Here's some from the artist of Valerian for you.

Absolutely amazing! Exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you!!

Yer welcome. I got a couple more I'll try to get to.

Not sure if a good one from thumbnail.

I've seen this piece before. I love it. A little too sci-fi but real good nonetheless.

I really dig this one!

It's great!

Last one for the night.

Good luck with the rest of the thread! I'll lurk for more stuff!

Thanks so much! You've earned a long lurk!