Talislanta General!

To talk about our multicolored Borroughsian non-elves, to discuss the influx of science fantasy in old rpgs, To remember the newbs that inns are passé: opium dens is where it's at!

Related Link: talislanta.com has all The pdfs free to download.

Sell me on Talislanta.

Imagine an Alien science-fantasy realm that just survived the magipocalypse and is in the process of rebuilding despite every kind of monstrous bullshit going on and the necessity of rediscovering the magical science that made your civilization great. To this add a truckload of races and cultures, each with their mysterious tricks, magics and technobullshit they gelously guard to keep an edge on the others.
Imagine Borroughs fucking Lovercraft fucking LeGuinn, in an opium den while Odalisks dance to hypnotic persian music in the background.

Which edition would you recommend

How easy is it to use older modules in it

Different editions for different playstiles: the old school ones are more Or less system agnostic and you can play them with any OSR game with minimal adjustment, newer ones are more complete but lose some of the original charm IMHO

Older modules are allmost exclusivelly fluff athmosphere and culture, you can litterally use them with whatever you want as long as you get the athmosphere and playstile. I recently had a 4 session adventure in the setting using GURPS because the players were familiar with it.

Having tons of races is a shitty design decusion, because none of them end up being distinct or memorable. It's just palette swapped elves from A to Z, yuck.

Except not, every race in talislanta has a specific culture and great differences. Some are superficially similar because they have a common ancestor.
I guess If "it has pointy ears" is reason enought for you to call something an Elf then you're right but you're the only one to blame for not going beyond superficial similarities.

friendly tip for the future: "style" is spelled with a Y, "jealous" is spelled with a J.

setting sounds cool, i'll take a look at the pdfs.

Ok thank you, I tought it was wrong to write playstyle with two y, and I just didn't notice Jealously.

>>City Planning at it's finest.

>>fuxtians so bad

My Green Cymrillian Brother By Another Mother!
I love me some Talislanta!

Favorite edition is 2nd. Simple rules, simple spells, everything in 1 book.

The Big Blue Book is nice too, but my players never could get the hang of made-up-on-the-fly spells.

'Sup Bro!
>Favorite edition is 2nd. Simple rules, simple spells, everything in 1 book.
Yup, it has a certain mystique I couldn't find in older editions.
>The Big Blue Book is nice too, but my players never could get the hang of made-up-on-the-fly spells.
I keep it as some sort of compendium because it's more detailed. 5e too after a fashion. I Also allways lift the lifepath system of 5e to other eds.
Create-your-own-spells are an aquíred taste. Personally I find they detract from the original concept that magic was mostly lost and that you had to rediscover spells in old ruins to get new ones. That or developing new ones that was near impossible without lost machinery.

>detract from the original concept that magic was mostly lost and that you had to rediscover spells in old ruins to get new ones.

I agree, the Dying Earth vibe was strongest with the early editions of Talislanta where spells where unique, long-lost curiosities that could be unearthed from old Phaedran ruins and whatnot.

When you can make up spells instantly ont he fly like it was nothing it loses that feel.

I did like the Orders though, they really fleshed out some of the magical traditions of Talislanta and gave them cool unique abilities (like that Witchcraft 13 roll).

I play 4e almost exclusively, and use the system a lot, but for generating spells for the players to find or research. For PC magicians, I let them come up with a selection of spells based on their mode values. This gives each of them a fairly versatile personal grimoire while preserving the feel.

So who's buying the new The Savage Lands (Talislanta) RPG whenever it comes out?

3e user here. I'm not so much a fan of WotC's metaplot emphasis, but it's my sweet spot for mechanics, and all the 2e books work with it, yay! Getting geared up to run a party through WW2: Cymril Edition though.

That's a very good compromise
I'm considering it but I'll wait to read a recension before.

>WW2: Cymril Edition.
I can't remember a time I was more aroused than now.

>>OOOOOOH YEEEEEEEEEAH!

>civ 5.jpg